Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
In the band I am in we pretty much did all our songs in the original key and if we couldn't we just didn't do that song. My fiance was a chorus teacher/vocal coach for 20 years and is very big on getting the key comfortable. She has a wonderful voice and sounds great in any key....I on the other hand have a marginal voice.... this works with a band but in a duo set up I will be more prominent. I have been working on backing tracks and have found I have had to change the key quite a bit to make it comfortable on some songs ie "Bad Moon Rising" originally in D and I moved it to A. I will admit it sounds much better than when I tried to screech to do it in D but how far can you go before you need to make stylistic changes. For me I will have to play the guitar part in a different position so I will need to play it differently. The backing tracks pretty much follow the original.....I just don't want it to sound like a lounge lizard act.

Veteran
Veteran
That's where inversions come in handy. However, any time you change the key to a song, the feel of the song becomes different, often in subtle but noticeable ways to those with good ears. This is especially true when the song is originally played with open chords. As soon as you play a barre or inversion, it's immediately obvious to all but the most tone deaf people that "something's not quite right" with the song.

A game several of us musicians used to play (many years ago) was to listen to a song we were not familiar with and determine the key simply by listening. It's really not as hard as it sounds. I find myself playing the solitaire version of this game even now.

All that said, good musicians can play a song in any key and make it sound good. As you point out.... Bad Moon in D really relies on the open chords John Fogerty used in it for it's signature sound. Change it to A and the color of the chords are now totally different.

It's really a toss up on changing the keys vs keeping the original key and groove. But if the singer can't sing in the original key, you really don't have too many options other than changing the key or the singer.

Perhaps another, better option is to choose your songs carefully from the list of songs that you CAN sing comfortably. Avoid the ones that are difficult due to the original key being out of range and the ones you're not willing to re-work into a different key.

The upside to changing keys is that it affords the opportunity for you to work up a totally unique version of the song since the original sound won't be a part of the feel.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
In A I have the chord inversion worked out and as you said it will alter the sound compared to the original but I just don't have Fogerty's vocal range. What I have been using BIAB for is to get backing tracks that are reasonably close to the original without the signature parts which I will play live. Then I play with the key changes to find out what works best. With Bad Moon I transposed the bass upwards to A and the guitar downwards to A and this sounds pretty good to me. Singing wise it seems to hold up as well. I need to work out some of the signature parts to see if it will fly. If not then I may play with styles and come up with a new version. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by pedwards2932; 11/12/15 05:45 AM.
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
One of the interesting things I can do with my GR 55 guitar synth is I can use alternate tunings so I can play the chords as they were in the original but transposed to whatever key I want. Not sure how well it would work but I have used it before when I wanted to take a song down a half step or 2 and it would have been difficult to change the way I played the song.

Veteran
Veteran
This may sound odd, but it depends on the audience.

There are the people who know you changed keys, no why, and think it was a good choice. There's really not that many of these in a typical crowd.

There are the people who know you changed keys, no why, and don't like it. This is usually an even smaller part of the crowd.

Then there is BY FAR the vast majority who don't realize you changed the key at all. I'm not kidding when I say it's probably over 90% of the people or more. They simply don't know.

Then there is the other factor. Alcohol. It's the game changer.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Then there is BY FAR the vast majority who don't realize you changed the key at all. I'm not kidding when I say it's probably over 90% of the people or more. They simply don't know.

In a typical crowd I'd say it is more like 99%! If you wanna cover a song grab yer capo and sing it where it is comfortable. The impact of you not being John Fogerty is gonna be much greater than the impact of transposing the song! And that one guy in the audience who might notice? Who cares? laugh

P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Luckily for me I am doing the duo thing for my own entertainment so as long as I don't jeopardize playing a place I feel like I have freedom to do basically what I want just need to learn to duck if they start throwing things. I get what you are saying though most people aren't going to be that tuned into what we're doing.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: pedwards2932
Luckily for me I am doing the duo thing for my own entertainment so as long as I don't jeopardize playing a place I feel like I have freedom to do basically what I want just need to learn to duck if they start throwing things. I get what you are saying though most people aren't going to be that tuned into what we're doing.

Let me know how that works out for ya. grin

P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
I was just being flip....been playing in a band for 30 years doing danceable music and I see the duo as a way to try things I might not normally do......if a song falls on it's face I just won't do it any more. But the bottom line is I really would like to enjoy the music I'm doing.....that wasn't always happening in the band.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

In a typical crowd I'd say it is more like 99%! If you wanna cover a song grab yer capo and sing it where it is comfortable. The impact of you not being John Fogerty is gonna be much greater than the impact of transposing the song! And that one guy in the audience who might notice? Who cares? laugh

Ha! I struggled with that. I started at 99%. Brought it down to 95%. Then finally settled on the confusing "over 90% or more." Brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

I feel as you do though!

Veteran
Veteran
Aside from the whole "if it's on the internet it must be true" thing,

9 out of 4 musicians are really bad at math.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Generally, the vocalist's most comfortable range and "sweet spot" will dictate the key and the song will be transposed to suit.

Veteran
Veteran
I was just being flip....been playing in a band for 30 years doing danceable music and I see the duo as a way to try things I might not normally do......if a song falls on it's face I just won't do it any more. But the bottom line is I really would like to enjoy the music I'm doing.....that wasn't always happening in the band.

In a duo, you have two choices: be background music that people talk over, or entertain. The former is easier, of course, but if you can sell the songs, nobody is going to care what key it's in.

Regards,

bob

Veteran
Veteran
Here is a odd observation.

Now this doesn't haven't to do with transposition, which isn't a bad thing in my book, but it does have to do with the musicians liberty.

I've seen bands a number of times where the singer "made it their own." The ones that bug me are the ones that "lounge it out." Just a pet peeve of mine.

Part of what bothered me was, in my opinion, their changes to make a great melody sound lame. Again, MY opinion. You know THAT lounge singer, right?

The other part that bothered me, and you will like this, was the number of people that REALLY enjoyed the singer anyway! Some would even come up and say "wow! She/He has a GREAT voice!" What?!?! Yup! So what did it matter what I thought? I was BY FAR one of the few! That guy/girl was out performing to ADORING fans! GOOD FOR THEM! smile

Just for the record, I have also see singers who have done melodic variations that I was blown away by. So it's not that they have to sing it "like the record" for me. smile

I hope that helps a little?

P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Yes your comments help a lot and make sense. I like to stay somewhat true to the original. I recorded my voice on Bad Moon in A and I don't think it went too "loungy" to me. I have to work on the guitar parts to see how it will sound. I try to make intelligent decisions on songs and my fiance being a chorus/vocal teacher won't let me get away with anything. This is what I really like about BIAB is I can easily set up backing tracks and not have to invest a lot of time to see if a song will work.....Bad Moon is essentially a three chord song and the real challenge to me is singing it. As it sits right now I'm leaning towards not doing it but not totally ready to abandon ship.

Veteran
Veteran
Whether a song goes "lounge lizard" or stays true to the original groove I think depends more on the style you choose and the way it's sung. More so than the key you choose to sing it in.

If you take Bad Moon, and apply a smooth jazz style.... you got instant lounge lizard grist.

You can modulate all over the place and still have that original groove if it's played with the attitude, groove, and feeling JF put into the original.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
To be a real Lounge Lizard, you have to play “Quando Quando Quando” laugh

P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
I think you are correct. My band has been doing Bob Segar tunes for years and I used to screech it out in the original key and blow my voice out. We moved them into a more reasonable key and no more blow outs and it sounds much better to me. I guess the key for me is to record it and evaluate. Then we'll see if anyone complains that I am doing it in the wrong key.

Veteran
Veteran
I think you are correct. My band has been doing Bob Segar tunes for years and I used to screech it out in the original key and blow my voice out. We moved them into a more reasonable key and no more blow outs and it sounds much better to me. I guess the key for me is to record it and evaluate. Then we'll see if anyone complains that I am doing it in the wrong key.

No one will likely notice the key. They will notice that you are screeching and can't sing it in the original key.....they won't know the part about the key, they just know you're butchering the vocal part and that equates to "you really suck" in their minds.

Always sing a song in YOUR comfort range. Transpose if necessary. But either own the song or don't sing it.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
FWIW, I collaborated with Seattle DJ Bob Rivers on "Bathroom On The Right", a CCR parody with Don Jr doing his fabulous John Fogarty impression.

I have Bob's permission to post it, if anyone is interested.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,493
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195