You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#115785 - 06/01/11 06:57 PM Surf Style Real Drums
Frank Alves Online   content
Apprentice

I recall hearing and example either on the PG website or in this Forum of some Surf Rock music with the characteristc drum rhythm pattern that you often hear on early Surf Rock instrumentals. However, I can't recall what Real Drums were used. Anyone?

Thanks for you help.

Frank

#115786 - 06/01/11 07:21 PM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: Frank Alves]
Rachael Offline
Expert

In the StylePicker, search for Surf. There are several styles with RDs there.

R

#115787 - 06/02/11 07:38 AM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: Rachael]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

That was me that did that. I made an add on for the Nashville Even 8 RealDrums. Download the .zip file and save it. Now do this:
1. In the RD folder make a new folder called SURF
2. unzip the the file you DL into this SURF folder.
3. Rebuild the RD picker--You should now see a SURF RD style
4. In the song use Nash Even 8
5. On a separate track use the Surf RD
Now you'll have the added beat on the & before the 3
SURF RealDrums
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#115788 - 06/05/11 08:39 AM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: silvertones]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Well did it work for you?
15.6" Monitor

#115789 - 06/06/11 10:52 AM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: silvertones]
Apprentice

Hi John,

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I haven't modified RT's in the past, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for your help.

Frank

#115790 - 06/06/11 12:09 PM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: Frank Alves]
percy Offline
Journeyman

John was nice enough to create that surf drum rhythm for me last year. Since the December upgrade, the BB style, POPCAL2 incorporates that beat. It's RD PopCalypso^6, which I use a lot and I think it's what you want.

Percy

#115791 - 06/06/11 03:33 PM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: percy]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Hey Percy,
Them dirty dogs. I'll have to check that out.
15.6" Monitor

#115792 - 06/06/11 03:38 PM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: silvertones]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Sure enough is.Nice one too!I'll never remember the name so I'm going to copy and paste this one and rename it "SURF". The odd thing though is I searched for fun at the surf styles and none of them use this RD. Weird.

Edited by silvertones (06/06/11 03:46 PM)
15.6" Monitor

#115793 - 06/07/11 01:04 AM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: silvertones]
FrankK Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Sydney,NSW,Australia
Thanks for that tip re the “Surf” style drumming silvertones and percy !.

I have also just put on the wish list for an Atlantics drum and rhythm and bass style as shown in the following clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_CttIV7VY

This group used a similar rolling drum beat at the start of ‘Bombora’ for a number of other hits so its not a “one off” and could be used elsewhere.

It brings back fond memories of my surfing days here in Oz.

#115794 - 06/07/11 07:13 AM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: FrankK]
percy Offline
Journeyman

So the surf style you need is ala 'Wipeout' rather than the 8th notes snare on the second beat. As an option, a 'Wipeout' midi file might have that rolling drum beat.

Percy.

#115795 - 06/07/11 11:19 AM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: percy]
Apprentice

The RD PopCalypso^6 was what I remember hearing. Now its time to turn up the reverb and pullout my old Ventures book.

Thanks for all the help.

Frank

#115796 - 06/07/11 05:39 PM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: percy]
FrankK Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Sydney,NSW,Australia
Quote:

So the surf style you need is ala 'Wipeout' rather than the 8th notes snare on the second beat. As an option, a 'Wipeout' midi file might have that rolling drum beat.

Percy.

Yes. as in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ

Know of any available drum pattern? or midi file?

Cheers you surfy rockers

#115797 - 06/07/11 06:00 PM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: FrankK]
percy Offline
Journeyman

I don't know what's going on. I'm getting my Franks mixed up!

Percy

#115798 - 06/08/11 01:37 PM Re: Surf Style Real Drums [Re: percy]
David Walker Offline
Apprentice

If you search the web for Ventures midi files you find 69 of the Ventures hottest songs that can be imported into RB or BB. Some of them have the surf style you are looking for and its freeeeee.

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Pat Martino - February Performances!

The Pat Martino Trio has a busy week coming up! Six performances in as many days starting on February 20th in Portland, Oregon with the Portland Jazz Festival. From there, they'll be heading to San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Seattle, and will finish the week off in Golden, Colorado!

For a more detailed list of Pat's upcoming shows, visit www.patmartino.com/ and click on Itinerary.

You'll find his RealTracks in Set 195: Jazz Pollwinners 2 - Pat Martino Guitar. To listen to demos of these, and learn more about Pat, visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Our "Tips and Tricks" Forum - Share Your Band-in-a-Box Tips & Tutorials!

Have you come up with some technical tips or tutorials that are related to our products? Share them with fellow users by posting them to our Tips & Tricks Forum. As it is right now, there are 26 pages of posts from our Forum Members in that category!

Plus, if you've made your own tutorial video be sure to let us know - we can post it to our User to User Videos page.

#ThrowbackThrusday - Band-in-a-Box 7 (from 1997!)

Wow - take a look at this Band-in-a-Box 7 New Features Video from 1997... www.pgmusic.com/?vid=OdtSP2SfKAI

Peter explains all the new features offered with this version release, which you can also review as a written list here.

Special Offer - Save on "Other Software" Purchases!

When you purchase any three "Performance Products" (Multimedia, Master Solos, Master Class or Performance Series products) valued at $49 each, there's a discount applied - you can purchase any three of these programs for only $99!

It doesn't stop there! Purchase 4 of these for only $131, 5 for just $149, or 6 for just $179!

This breaks down as:
Buy 3 Performance products for $99 - that's a savings of $48!
Buy 4 Performance products for $131 - that's a savings of $65!
Buy 5 Performance products for $149 - that's a savings of $96!
Buy 6 Performance products for $179 - that's a savings of $115!

Just add the items to your shopping cart - these discounts are applied once the quantity is reached.

Visit http://www.pgmusic.com/products.htm to see which products are available for your operating system.

Video - Using VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 with Band-in-a-Box

Check out this tutorial on using Ravenscroft 275 with Band-in-a-Box for Windows, which also includes some demos of the Ravenscroft 275 piano playing MIDI SuperTracks: Watch it here!
Learn more about Ravenscroft 274 and listen to additional demos via our purchasing page or by visiting the VI Labs website.

Have you purchased a copy of VI Labs Ravenscroft 275? We'd love to hear your results! Post them here.

Save Your Song as a Video with Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac!

With Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac you have the option to save your song as a video that you can upload to YouTube or work with in video programs! Watch Tobin explain this new feature here: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IAfmkdpwVo8

(this feature is also available with Band-in-a-Box 2015 and higher for Windows: Watch the video.)

Not only can you save your song as a video, you can also load videos that you already have into Band-in-a-Box!
From the New Features List:
Video Window: The audio is extracted from the video to the audio track. As the song plays, you can slow down the video, and the audio will slow down and stay in sync.
The quality of the audio at slower or faster tempos is great. The video slowdown range is 6-800%. This is a great tool for transcription. You can select a range in the Chord Sheet window and use Transport - [Loop] button to loop a section of the video at a low tempo for example.

Have you made a Band-in-a-Box video? Feel free to share it on our User Showcase Forum.

Watch Wolf Marshall's Band-in-a-Box Testimonial Video!

Guess who else popped by our NAMM booth for a visit? Endorsing Artist Wolf Marshall!
(You may have noticed he's also in the recently posted photo of Henry Johnson enjoying the Crooner RealTracks...)

Wolf shared his Band-in-a-Box Video Testimonial with us, which you can watch here: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=4UWqoh0tP6Q.
Not only does he share how he uses (and why he enjoys) the program, he also tells us of a recent situation where Band-in-a-Box helps him complete a project in record time!

Click here to learn more about Endorsing Artist Wolf Marshall.

All of the Band-in-a-Box Video Testimonials are available here.

Forum Stats
24281 Members
39 Forums
37980 Topics
301672 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
Zetman, Kristine Robles, Wolfgang58, dakes55, chromaticwedge

24281 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 267
Noel96 190