PowerTracks Pro Audio
N
newuser Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Hi Larry

re:"or you could just make it an attachment and folks can look there if you want them to look at the"

not sure how to make the long list an attachment?

Thanks for the links to the Korg vst's, they look good.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
My mistake - forgot you can't attach a text file (just pic's)

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
PowerTracks Pro Audio
N
newuser Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Question for the group.

I was looking through the tutorials for pt2015 and found this info"

Converting a Cakewalk or Band-in-a-Box® patch map to a RealBand or PowerTracks patch map file

If you have found an existing Band-in-a-Box® patch map (.pat file) or Cakewalk Instrument Definition file (.ins) for your synth, you can convert this to a PowerTracks patch map (patches.ini file). This can be done easily with PowerTracks Pro Audio 10 or higher, which have a dedicated feature to do the conversion.

In PowerTracks, go to the Action menu and select Convert patch list from Band-in-a-Box® or Cakewalk, select the .ins or .pat file from the File-Open dialog, then choose a name for the new .ini file in the following File-Save dialog. PowerTracks will ask if you would like to add the new patch list to the existing patches.ini file. If you answer Yes, you will immediately be able to choose your new patch list by going to Options | Patch Names. If you answer No, you will have a separate .ini file with the name that you chose. In this case, to use the new patch map, rename the existing patches.ini file in your pt folder to patches_default.ini (so you have a backup of it), then rename your new .ini file to patches.ini and make sure it is located in the C:\pt folder. The next time you open PowerTracks you will be able to use your new patch map.

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_ptwpatchmap.htm#convert

My question/problem is in my version of pt2015 when I access the action menu I do not see Convert patch list from Band-in-a-Box® or Cakewalk

Is it somewhere else?

ps: I am awaiting delivery of the yamaha mx49

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Try the Edit Menu, under MIDI ..
That's where it is in recent versions of RB.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
N
newuser Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Thank you, that is where it has moved to.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
N
newuser Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
I finally got the Yamaha keyboard/synth, here is where I have reached an obstacle, PowerTracks2015 now crashes when I try to use the required driver for the mx49.

I was able to convert the pat file to an ini file within PT2015 very easily, and when I compare the ini file with the Yamaha voice list there perfect agreement.

It seems that in order for the computer to be able to communicate with the synth a certain driver must be installed "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.7.3 for Windows (32bit)

The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver enables communication between a USB device (which is compatible with the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver) and your computer."

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16244&category_id2=16381&product_id=1716498&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=57112

I am hoping that one of you have this synth in your arsenal and can point me in the right direction.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
From what I can tell, newer drivers are here

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver//#yamaha_steinberg

I'm a Roland guy so can't test .. just used my Google-Fu

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
AS you can see from my sig, I use quite a bit of Yammie gear. Seems like they have several versions of their USB driver. For example, my Motif is using version 3.15 updated in August of this year. I would stick with the specific version downloaded from their website for the specific keyboard that you have.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
PowerTracks Pro Audio
N
newuser Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
I have installed this driver and it is working. PowerTracks2105 no longer crashes, but I have a new problem.

When in the the patch select dialog I am seeing the mx49 and I can see all the patches, as an example if I am using track 2 with a patch for piano I see 10 possible choices for piano, but they all sound the same. This happens for all the other patches also.

If I right click on a track I can see the program change,msb and lsb and they are in agreement with the patch list and also in agreement with the Yamaha voice list.

The synth by itself has some awesome sounds but I don't seem to be able to bring them into PowerTracks.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Do you see these in the Event List or the 'Classic Tracks' window?
If you right-click a track do you have the option to select your synth in the drop down at the top of popup?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
N
newuser Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
I am not sure what you are asking, I am in the tracks view and if I right click on a track I see a window that contains a lot of things the first is Track Type which is midi..the second is Port:2:(Microsoft Midi Mapper)..

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, I missed a step, sorry.
Right-click a Track and select 'Patch Select Dialogue'
Then there is a drop down at the top of the resulting window to select a patch list for a given synth. Does your synth show up there?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
N
newuser Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Yes, the synth shows up. In further work I now can hear the synth sounds from the phone output on the synth. It was my understanding that by using the specified usb driver I would hear the sound on my computer through my daw PT2015.

From the website:http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/mx/?mode=series#tab=feature

"Bi-directional USB Audio/MID Interfacing

But the MX doesn't just control software DAWs and VSTs. Just connect a USB cable to computer and you can monitor all the sounds from your computer via headphone output of the MX or listen to your DAW tracks by connecting the MX to external studio monitors or PA gear. The audio converters on the MX are made for professional music applications so everything on your computer, even games, will sound better when using the MX as the output. The MX interface is bi-directional so you can record the internal sounds of MX directly to your computer without ever going to the analog domain for the highest possible quality."

How would you interpret this product statement?

Is there some switch that I need to check off?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like you may need to make sure that once the MIDI gets to the synth and causes the synth to generate sound, you get that sound from the synth routed back to your interface and into PT2015 (as audio, not MIDI)

Make sure you have a 'audio' out cable from your synth to your interface.
Then check how it's routed (where it goes from there).

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I checked your link.
If the MIDI is getting to the synth (which is indicated by you hearing it in the headphone out of the synth) then you likely need to make sure the synth is set to send Audio back to the computer via USB. In some synths this is a setting that needs to be changed (not a default setting).
After that you'll need to select the correct Driver in PT2015 to hear it.
This is found in Prefs-Audio Tab-Drivers button.

Remember to click the Move Selected Device to Top button to make it the default in PT2015.

The 'Reference' manual at the link below provides more detail.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/result/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&search=mx49

There is also a driver download required according to the manual.

Last edited by rharv; 12/25/15 06:51 AM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
N
newuser Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
N
Thank you for your time, I have the driver installed, and PT see's the synth, the synth is responding to the program changes, it is that switch to send the audio to the computer that has me baffled, as far as I can tell the synth is set for usb in the utility-2)Midi is set for usb, there are two choices usb or midi, it is set for usb.

One should not have to work so hard to get these thing to work, I am thinking of sending the synth back and look for other means to render my midi tracks to audio.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
It may be easier to just route the audio from the synth via Audio Outs to RB and deal with it that way.
Many hardware synths have MIDI over USB and require an audio connection back to the computer to hear it .. sometimes its more efficient to just work around the issue instead of trying to conquer it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,780
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
cucahack, mandella, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189