Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
There is probably an easy way to do this...but can I easily level-out my vocal tracks in RB?--I often like my takes, but find that when I've punched in a section, it's at a slightly different volume level...I usually take the track into Audacity and treat all the "anomalies" separately--also 'fixing' any vocal spikes...all so that I can raise the overall level uniformly.

Thanks in advance for any advise on this..

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
After completing your punch in's, select the entire track and consolidate it. Then right click and choose audio effects, select gain change, from the window, choose #3 from the drop down box in the lower left - normalize -
and normalize the track.

Everything you are doing in Audacity can easily be done in RealBand.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/09/15 08:31 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
If you are doing your punch in/out at the time you are recording the original track you should NOT have varying levels.

In fact, I have done punches several days after the original tracking was done and there is ZERO difference in levels.

Keep notes. When you track something, write down the numbers.... especially if you're using a mixer that is used for other things. That's what several people I know do.

Personally, I don't. I rarely touch the input levels and don't use a mixer. So there's literally nothing for me to remember.

If there are level differences, I drop a volume envelope into the track in my DAW and adjust manually.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
A few ways to do it in RB.

If you grab the bottom of a track in the Tracks window, you can drag it down to tinker with the volume envelope as Herb mentioned.

You can highlight the section and use Edit-Audio Effects- Gain change on any section of a track to do the same thing you did in Audacity.

You can put a compressor on it and see if that helps.

Different methods for different needs. In the Audio Effects-Gain Change window you can just use the regular Gain and boost that section a couple decibels.
Normalize boosts the whole track (which you also did in Audacity). Pay attention to the check boxes on the left.

When punching in you may be able to look right away and see if there is a volume difference, if there is you can go ahead and use the Gain effect while you have the section highlighted already.. to save time.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I know zip about RB but does it not allow the typical DAW volume shaping?

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Sorry to hijack a little on this...but I have that same question about PTPro and RB...can you put volume changes in?

I used another DAW for a tiny amount of time and I liked that I could graphically see (as a red line on top of the waveform) see the volume level I wanted at any time e.g. down to 80% at 0:55s then increasing to 100% at 1:20, etc.

PTPro/RB has "insert volume change" but I've been afraid to use it because:
1 - I can't see them (or can I?)
2 - I am not sure if it's RELATIVE or ABSOLUTE to the starting volume or base off the slider...?????

Anyone know?

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: jjcousin
Sorry to hijack a little on this...but I have that same question about PTPro and RB...can you put volume changes in?

I used another DAW for a tiny amount of time and I liked that I could graphically see (as a red line on top of the waveform) see the volume level I wanted at any time e.g. down to 80% at 0:55s then increasing to 100% at 1:20, etc.

2 - I am not sure if it's RELATIVE or ABSOLUTE to the starting volume or base off the slider...?????

Anyone know?

You can automate volume changes in PTPro and RB. You can also automate panning.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Originally Posted By: jjcousin

Anyone know?

You can automate volume changes in PTPro and RB. You can also automate panning.

hi charlie,
can you elaborate on how to do this in RB? I couldn't find it in the online FAQs

Veteran
Veteran
I already did, pull down the bottom of a track and look at the volume envelope .. which can be changed ..

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Envlop.jpg (42.72 KB, 64 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 12/10/15 01:42 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Be aware the volume envelopes and nodes display rharv demonstrates is with 2014 and higher editions of RealBand.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Be aware the volume envelopes and nodes display rharv demonstrates is with 2014 and higher editions of RealBand.

and comes with some caveats, but the feature is available ..

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: rharv
I already did, pull down the bottom of a track and look at the volume envelope .. which can be changed ..

yes, you did. my apologies.

but the picture is worth 1000 words, too! thanks.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks all..the volume envelop is what I was hoping for..never used it until now...reason this is an issue for me is how I work...I almost always have completed the music/melody part of my song project first, and am almost always fussing with the lyrics portion afterwards, and sometimes the 'afterwards' is a long time. Being able to adjust the volume envelop lets me swoop in to change/alter a portion of my initial lyric vocal with some new ideas--I often can't recall my mic setup so that I record the punch-in exactly the same way...revealing that Im' not a pro vocal performer..in this, my neadrathal method of recording vocals, I might possible get something that actually sounds smooth.

Veteran
Veteran
FWIW I can't imagine mixing a song w/o extensive use of volume shaping. Panning, effects, and volume all contribute hugely in creating an effective natural sounding soundstage. And not just for "punch ins" but for RT solo/fill segues, etc.

Veteran
Veteran
I just throw up a comp, a bit of verb, and hit "Record". My recordings are evidence of that laxity grin , but I'm interested in the song, not the recording. If I want a great recording, I would have to pay for it. laugh

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Most of my songs look like this when I'm finished with the mixing. This first pic is the screen grab for a section of Dust on the Floor. Lots of automation going on.

This one is the piano fills in the first verse of THe Best Christmas

It would be impossible to get a decent finished product without the proper and surgical use of envelopes for volume as well as panning.

BTW: I enter all the nodes and adjust the levels and fades manually. While the DAW is totally capable of recording the movements of faders as I drag them, I found out long ago that I could be surgically precise by entering the nodes after I zoomed in (if necessary) and get flawless edits. The piano fills in Best Christmas is a great example of that. I comped the fills from three tracks and in many cases, a short fill is a few notes from one track finished by a few notes from the next track. Zoom in, align the edits perfectly, check levels for consistency, make it happen.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/13/15 03:43 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,734
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197