Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Wish I had a Bassman just sitting around for free!

Believe it or not, there was once a time when that was exactly the case.

Not being considered powerful enough for bass and not having been discovered by the guitar playing crowd in droves, the lowly Bassman amps were languishing in studio backrooms, basements and garages. During the '70s I did indeed pick up several for nothing or next to nothing. Well, the heads anyway. Most kept the speaker cabs. Kind of like all those used pianos with no piano bench, I guess *grin*. What do people *do* with the piano bench?

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

>>>..MAC...putting that Bassman through another amp, an impossible situation in the real to accomplish from patchcord to speaker to input of the next amp and still include all of the ramifications imparted by what the speaker does in the air... >>>

Here's what I think my job is: My job is to get the cleanest possible signal into the Amp Sim. The Amp Sim will provide the freq curve, overdrive, gain stages, harmonics for distortion, speakers, air and all that...

...am I wrong about that?

BTW - My amp is not a Bassman (I wish) but a Fender Rumble 15.
8 inch speaker, 15 watts and really sounds amazingly great. Loud!

Last edited by flatfoot; 08/19/09 07:20 AM.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
flatfoot, you might be able to match levels and impedance with the little rumble amp - however, my guess like Mac stated is that it's going to impart some kind of frequency domain shift to the signal.

You would probably be better off just buying a little 1 channel pre-amp like something from ART - something that won't put a big thing into the signal that you'll have to EQ out anyways. Speaking of EQ, if you have a hardware EQ around, you could probably make that work for your pre-amp. About the ART, It's always nice to have one of those around. You should be able to pick one up used on e-Bay for 50$ or so. I have a single channel dbx mic/instrument pre-amp that I really like that I use now and then to boost weak signals.

Lastly, do you have a little desktop mixer? You can use one of those to do your pre-amp work for you with your guitar.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Lastly, do you have a little desktop mixer? You can use one of those to do your pre-amp work for you with your guitar.

Most, if not all, of these desktop mixers that have 1/4" input jacks do NOT have the requisite high impedance 1 megohm or so input. They are usually down around the 10K "line" mark, although some are better than that, if you check the specs and it says the 1/4" input is about 100K ohms or higher, you may have a chance of using it with direct connect from magnetic guitar pickup without changing the real sound of the guitar too much.

The little ART tube mic preamp has a very nice instrument input on it and is transparent, tailor made for driving those plugins from soundcard.

But that little Bass amp should be able to do the job as well, just don't crank up the EQ knobs on it a lot and use your ears and common sense you should do okay.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
You can also download the Guitar Rig 3 demo from NI and use that for free, as it is basically fully functioning though can't save presets and 20 min time limit per opeing of the program. It will process as a Vst effect no problem at all.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Don, have you used GR3 successfully with PG products?

There's a post over on either the RB or PTPA page about someone having difficulty with it working.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
not sure if this is applicable

Red Shift allows you to replace the tone of your guitars pickup with a huge list of different alternatives and really provides you the versatility you need without having to spend money on several guitars!

http://www.acmebargig.com/redshift/

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

>>>...MAC: what I was cautioning about is that he wants to use a guitar amp cap simulator plugin. Be careful about that octave lower rolloff in this particular situation. Don't know if it will be better or worse...>>>

I think I saw what you are talking about: I have a box called a Tascam Vocal Trainer. It has some good effects presets, and some basic mixing capbility. Its meant to accept dynamic mics with 1/4 in plugs.

I tried plugging my guitar into the Tascam. Seemed like all the tasty tone that I had got from the Fender went away.
Is this something that mismatching does?

...and while we are on the subject, what about my Peavey keyboard amp? Is its input more likely to be 10Kohm or 100Kohm? And if so, so what?

Last edited by flatfoot; 08/22/09 02:00 PM.

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

>>>...Buy the latest Computer Music (August) and you'll get Guitar Rig LE on the DVD for free...>>>

I would love to have this..I cant find a store anywhere in Sacramento that carries this magazine. I used to buy it at Staples but they don't carry it anymore...

I have DLd the GR demo and will try that...

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

...and while we are on the subject, what about my Peavey keyboard amp? Is its input more likely to be 10Kohm or 100Kohm? And if so, so what?

Tell me what model and I can likely find out what the input impedance is.

As for the guitar electromagnetic pickup, the reason for a high impedance input, "high" meaning around 250,000 ohms or higher with 1 megohm being the typical desired input, is that anything lower will "load" down the small voltage output of the pickup, resulting in a change in the EQ (sound) of the pickup, for the worse. Ohm's law tells us the why of it. If the pickup can generate, say, 100mV into a 1 million ohm input, then it could not generate the same voltage into only 10,000 ohm load. A fractional percentage would be all that we could generate. Since the AC voltage that the pickup generates translates to amplitude of the soundwave, we would realize a much lower volume into that 10K input, plus there would be problems with reproducing the frequencies accurately.

Typically, a guitar jacked into a 10Kohm input will sound "weak" and with not much midrange punch. It also won't sound much like and electric guitar at that point, because a lot of the sound we know comes from the guitar amplifier and speaker(s) which are highly specialized for the purpose. Well, the plugin simulator can replace the amp, but we still should present it with the full range of the guitar pickup's voltage and frequency response first. If the input impedance is too low, we can't do that.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I would love to have this..I cant find a store anywhere in Sacramento that carries this magazine. I used to buy it at Staples but they don't carry it anymore....

Both Borders and Barnes & Noble carry it out here. Joe Muggs used to. If that still doesn't get it, it might be worth bopping down to the Bay Area for a copy.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Try the Waves (waves.com) site and select the GTR option - Waves Solo is is available as a free download (free use for 1 year). The problem is that it is a VST plugin that does not work in RB or PTPA (so either record your guitar in another sequencer or export your Biab or RB track to another sequencer and record the guitar).

Take note of Mac's advice re the impedance matching (this is in fact very important) - I use an M-AudioFast Track Pro USB unit and it works great for guitars as it has line and instrument input options. Several manufacturers have less expensive USB input devices for guitars - see also the Line 6 site.
Roy

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

>>>...Both Borders and Barnes & Noble carry it out here. Joe Muggs used to...>>>

Well I tried these places, of course.

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
>>>...Tell me what model and I can likely find out what the input impedance is...>>>

I have two. The 75 watt watt one says input impedance = 33K ohms. The 15-watt says 220K ohms.

>>>...around 250,000 ohms or higher with 1 megohm being the typical desired input, is that anything lower will "load" down the small voltage output... Ohm's law tells us the why of it. If the pickup can generate, say, 100mV into a 1 million ohm input, then it could not generate the same voltage into only 10,000 ohm load...>>>>

Ohm's Law is as far as I got with electronic theory. Barely. I will try V=I/R with these values.

>>>...Typically, a guitar jacked into a 10Kohm input will sound "weak" and with not much midrange punch. It also won't sound much like an electric guitar...>>>

Your description fits what I am getting, but I don't see why. If the problem has to do with a circuit that does not let all the signal through, should it not affect all frequencies equally? My limited understanding tells me that the signal that gets through would be just lower in amplitude. How is it that some frequencies are affected and not all of them?

I have heard that the flow of electrons in a circuit can be compared to the flow of water in a hose. Thats pretty much how I think of this stuff. Where did the metaphor break down?

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Red Shift allows you to replace the tone of your guitars pickup with a huge list of different alternatives and really provides you the versatility you need without having to spend money on several guitars!
http://www.acmebargig.com/redshift/

Looks like just what the doctor ordered!

just looking for clues...
Oren.
http://www.masteringmatters.com
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Your description fits what I am getting, but I don't see why. If the problem has to do with a circuit that does not let all the signal through, should it not affect all frequencies equally? My limited understanding tells me that the signal that gets through would be just lower in amplitude. How is it that some frequencies are affected and not all of them?

When first encountering Electrical Theory, we start with DC analysis.

That is a good platform, but when we must deal with Alternating Current, there are a few other parameters that rear their ugly heads and must be dealt with. Capacitance Reactance, Inductive Reactance and also Resistance work together as literal filters at frequencies that are dependant upon the values of the three.

In the case of the electromagnetic guitar pickup, we have all three.

Capacitive Reactance may be the lesser of the three here, but any amount must be plugged into the equation.

Inductive Reactance is there, due to the fact that the pickup itself is a huge coil of wire sitting in a magnetic field.

And, of course, the Resistance, which not only includes the input impedance of the following amplification stage, but also the resistance of the pickup wire, the cable in between, any potentiometers in the circuit, such as the Volume control, plus there is the potentiometer-plus-capacitor used in the Tone Circuit, which is another example of the LRC Inductive/Resistive/Capacitive tone shaping circuit, in this case a "Passive" Shelving EQ.

Those three parameters are related by pi, BTW, which assumes a sinewave.

Change any one parameter and you change the response of the circuit, in this case the amplifier input impedance being the main paramater that has changed -- and changed by many orders of magnitude, no less.

That 220K input amplifier would be a good choice but not the other one, which is too low. 220K would likely load the pickup down "a bit" but not so much as to greatly truncate the frequency response curve.

AC is a different world from DC theory and analog audio is Alternating Current. The AC is not locked to one frequency, but rather changes almost constantly, to become the "music" that we hear. That constant changing of frequencies is also a dynamic that can confuse even the most rapacious of "plug and chuggers" mathematics-wise, but not insurmountable. Plenty of info on the subject on the web if you want to dig deeper. And I encourage that.

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Rule of Thumb to memorize:

"At Audio Frequencies, we can always safely jack a Low Impedance signal into a High Impedance input, but we can not get away with doing it the other way around. High Impedance signal presented to a Low Impedance input will load the signal down and change things."

This is why you can plug the nominally Lower Impedance output of say, your MIDI piano, into a Guitar Amp and be safe and secure with the knowledge that it will still sound pretty much as it was intended to sound, but if you were to plug a Guitar with passive electromagnetic high-impedance pickup into the much lower impedance input of many Keyboard amps (or MIXERS), you are going to load it down and change the way it sounds. Also you will likely realize much less amplitude than you should, which is a clue that something is wrong. (If you have to put the input gain "on the pin" all the way up and just barely get enough signal to excite the amplifer, something's WRONG.) Just because you can hear the signal does not mean that you are hearing the *correct* signal.

--Mac

Off-Topic
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Guys,

If I read right Flatfoot said he had a Fender Rumble bass amp. That's a rather different animal to a true Fender Bassman. In age (probably), size, power, weight, speakers, country of mnufacture, cost and possibly even tube vs tranny differences. Absoloutely the Bassman was and I guess still is a very desirable gtr amp. I have certain doubts about the current 15 watt Rumble being anything comparable in desirability to a guitarist.

"Just sayin' '... to quote an esteemed member of this forum...

John

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

>>>...If I read right Flatfoot said he had a Fender Rumble bass amp. That's a rather different animal to a true Fender Bassman...>>>

RUMBLE is right. I am not claiming that it is at all comparable to the Bassman, even though it does sound very good. My hope is that it will give me a good clean sound to run into my sound card, from there to be run through a guitar processor VST.

My BiaB lesson site:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,111
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185