Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#296193 - 05/21/15 07:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Using BIAB live
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
I would love to see some videos of users using BIAB live. YouTube has little or nothing. When I finally stop stuffing around, I plan to use BIAB Real Tracks backing me with harmonies on my VoiceLive 2 in an acoustic setting. I also have a Boss Looper (yet to be figured out) and the TC Nova (Fantastic). Right now I just sing and play (lol). What setups are others using?

Edited by lambada (05/21/15 08:00 PM)
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#296343 - 05/23/15 03:23 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
The Conductor feature in Biab is for live playing (gig etc) with Biab.

I have never used it though. I would check the PG Music Support videos first for a demo of using the Conductor feature for gigging musicians. I would also check YouTube as well. There are alot of Biab videos on YouTube.

Trax

#296673 - 05/26/15 06:51 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: Muzic Trax]
lambada Offline
Expert

True, but no videos of anyone using BIAB live. Just curious. There is one of a guy organising a jazz choir, but.... I would love to see a singer/guitarist using real tracks in a live environment. If not, I'll do it cool smile assuming I ever get my audio back on my windows tablet.

#296683 - 05/26/15 08:14 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Originally Posted By: lambada
True, but no videos of anyone using BIAB live. Just curious. There is one of a guy organising a jazz choir, but.... I would love to see a singer/guitarist using real tracks in a live environment. If not, I'll do it cool smile assuming I ever get my audio back on my windows tablet.

Not sure what you are asking for lamdada, I along with many others use BIAB live at hundreds of gigs but I do not have any videos or tutorials. I also do live eConcerts using BIAB, if you follow via the FB link below you can find the dates and times. Also if you sign into one of the venue you can ask me any questions you like about my setup including BIAB I will be happy to answer in real time.

Hope this helps.

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#296709 - 05/26/15 01:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
I know that Joanne Cooper (JosieC here on the forum) has used BIAB tracks on some of her StreetJelly live, streaming concerts in the past. She presents concerts there on a fairly regular basis so you may want to watch some.

Even if you catch a performance that she is not using backing tracks, her concerts are always fun and entertaining and worth the time you spend.

#296811 - 05/27/15 06:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
tonnie Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Sorry I have no videos of me playing live with BiaB, however I can tell you how I use it.

First I use BiaB, since each playback is somewhat different, which I as a jazz oriented player prefer.

Secondly I play guitar though a pedal board into a guitar amp, but also via a Roland GR-33 guitar synth into my stereo PA, a Fender Passport 150.

From my laptop I split the BiaB output via a Roland UM one into an UA-1 X (for Real Sounds) and Roland XV-5050 (For MIDI sound) and (MIDI) Output Chords to my TC-Helicon Voice Works (For “Close Harmony” singing “Four Freshmen”-style),

The Real and Midi sounds are mixed together with the aid of a small (4 channel mixer) and then go through a 3 way crossover filter. The output of the treble and middle tones are sent (in stereo) to the mixer part of the Passport, while the bass part is send to two Gallien-Krueger bass amps.

This way the bass, bass drum and the lower end of the piano do not “burden” the small Passport speakers and can be fully controlled separately.

The outputs from the TC-Helicon Voice Works go in stereo via an Antares AVP-1 and into the Passport mixer.

So this way I can play guitar (and/or any instrument sound available from GR-33) and/or sing in full stereo to my own arrangements.

NB. There is a small limitation when using the “Output Chords” function with the Voice Works, as it only “understands” 4-note chords (Gmaj7b5 is OK, but G9 is not OK).

I avoid this by writing my arrangement with full chords, then freezing the Piano, String, Guitar tracks etc., then simplifying the chords to four note chords, and voila no more misinterpretations by the Voice Works.

Also the use of passing chords makes the others voices in Voice Works work (sing) more professionally.

Hope this helps.
Tonnie

#296814 - 05/27/15 06:31 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: tonnie]
lambada Offline
Expert

Brilliant. Very useful. Gives me some ideas for pulling it all together especially as I have the Voicelive 2 and a Roland guitar synth. It must sound very full and professional. I guess plenty of scope for things to go wrong! Quite a different approach from recording in a home studio. I was thinking about freezing the Realtracks, but suspected that a lot of people just render to audio and use a more static backing track approach. Like you, I fancied the idea (in theory) of keeping the flexibility of the Realtracks in the process. Do you use the pedal board to send midi patch commands or just as a guitar effects board? Would love to hear an audio of a live song as I suspect would others.

#296823 - 05/27/15 07:08 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: tonnie]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: tonnie
Sorry I have no videos of me playing live with BiaB, however I can tell you how I use it.

First I use BiaB, since each playback is somewhat different, which I as a jazz oriented player prefer.

Secondly I play guitar though a pedal board into a guitar amp, but also via a Roland GR-33 guitar synth into my stereo PA, a Fender Passport 150.

From my laptop I split the BiaB output via a Roland UM one into an UA-1 X (for Real Sounds) and Roland XV-5050 (For MIDI sound) and (MIDI) Output Chords to my TC-Helicon Voice Works (For “Close Harmony” singing “Four Freshmen”-style),

The Real and Midi sounds are mixed together with the aid of a small (4 channel mixer) and then go through a 3 way crossover filter. The output of the treble and middle tones are sent (in stereo) to the mixer part of the Passport, while the bass part is send to two Gallien-Krueger bass amps.

This way the bass, bass drum and the lower end of the piano do not “burden” the small Passport speakers and can be fully controlled separately.

The outputs from the TC-Helicon Voice Works go in stereo via an Antares AVP-1 and into the Passport mixer.

So this way I can play guitar (and/or any instrument sound available from GR-33) and/or sing in full stereo to my own arrangements.

NB. There is a small limitation when using the “Output Chords” function with the Voice Works, as it only “understands” 4-note chords (Gmaj7b5 is OK, but G9 is not OK).

I avoid this by writing my arrangement with full chords, then freezing the Piano, String, Guitar tracks etc., then simplifying the chords to four note chords, and voila no more misinterpretations by the Voice Works.

Also the use of passing chords makes the others voices in Voice Works work (sing) more professionally.

Hope this helps.
Tonnie

Way to keep it simple, dude. grin

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#296893 - 05/27/15 12:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: 90 dB]
tonnie Offline
Apprentice

Forgot to tell that most of my stuff is built into a 6 unit, 19" rack, With wheels, using a snake cable to connect most of my stuff to the amps. So it may sound complicated, but it sounds great!

Tonnie

#296899 - 05/27/15 12:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Just a note about getting the best sound live:

Whether you use a laptop or an MP3 player etc. to play the backing tracks, be sure to turn up that laptop/player as far as you can without distortion, and then adjust the volume on the PA. You will ensure you are hearing the best quality sound. The principle of doing this is called gain staging.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#296930 - 05/27/15 03:30 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
The other point to make here is most folks don't actually use Biab itself live. They use Biab at home to produce the tracks that they convert to wav's or MP3's. They then use a laptop, their phone or whatever else to play back the tracks on the gig.

The question to answer is will you be making changes to Biab's playback live on a gig or just letting it play through to the end of your songs? If it's the latter no need to mess around with a laptop and all the stuff needed. Keep it simple and just playback the files.

Bob

#296940 - 05/27/15 04:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
lamdada,

I use BIAB "live" no mp3's no wav etc. Just like it comes out of the can so to say.

Guitar in to Bose LII through a pedal board and mic in through the Vocalist Live 4. As Matt says, as much volume as you can get through the laptop (without going crazy) and then adjust out volume through your mixer. For me it's is the Bose Mixer, I forget what Bose calls it, but it is a mixer none the less.

I have been playing 75-100 gigs a year plus some Street Jelly and Concert Window eConcerts for the past 12-14 years, or at least since I discovered BIAB. I am told the sound is wonderful, but hey some people are just very nice. LOL

If you would like more detailed info, drop me a PM and I will be happy to give you a call so we can talk further.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#297002 - 05/27/15 09:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: Danny C.]
lambada Offline
Expert

Thanks Danny. Useful. I liked your website and recordings as well. It's nice to read that people are using BIAB or variations out gigging. I appreciate your valuable point Jazzmammal. Thanks Tonnie for all the info and Matt for the info on levels/gain. Also, the other posters. All good. Now just got to find my DXis which are alive and well on my home pc but not my tablet!:-)

Edited by lambada (05/27/15 10:00 PM)

#297023 - 05/28/15 04:18 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
tonnie Offline
Apprentice

The only USB pedal I use, is to stop my Laptop from playing back my BiaB arrangement, in case a toast master or similar wants to say something, which more often than not is in the middle of a song I might be playing.

I would prefer to be able to fade out in stead, but that seems not possible at the moment.

Brgds,
Tonnie

#297024 - 05/28/15 04:39 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: lambada
I would love to see some videos of users using BIAB live. YouTube has little or nothing. When I finally stop stuffing around, I plan to use BIAB Real Tracks backing me with harmonies on my VoiceLive 2 in an acoustic setting. I also have a Boss Looper (yet to be figured out) and the TC Nova (Fantastic). Right now I just sing and play (lol). What setups are others using?

What sort of places do you plan to play? All of these toys are cool, but in the real world, very complicated for live performance.

Step One: Get a stopwatch: start the timer, pick a song, load it into BIAB, generate it, then set your VoiceLive 2 for whatever harmonies you need, set the parameters on your TC Nova, your Roland guitar synth, and your Boss Looper and hit play. (by the way, your guitar is in tune, and your mic's not feeding back right?) Stop the watch. Time?

Step Two: Pick another song and repeat the process. Remember, you're doing all of this on a dark stage on a tablet.

You might be completely happy with three or five minutes between songs, but if you're playing in a bar, chances are that you've lost your audience by then. Dead air is deadly, unless you are also a very good comedian. grin

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
#TipTuesday - Finding Your Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®

If you've purchased one of the new Video RealTracks Sets released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018, finding them in the program is easy!

For the Video RealTracks, within the RealTracks Picker the "Set*" column will show "VideoFound" if the video RealTracks is installed.

For Video RealDrums, the RealDrums Picker will list this information within the "#" column.

Plus, You can easily find the video RealTracks in the StylesPicker. Just press the [Other] filter button (drop down menu) above the list and use "Show Styles with or without Video RealTracks" menu item.

Video RealTracks Sets 1-2 are included in the 49-PAK, which is available for purchase at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm. The 49-PAK is also included with any UltraPAK or Audiophile purchase!

All of our Video RealTracks Sets can be viewed and purchase at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Portuguese Edition for Windows® is Here!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=win&lang=pt

Nós ficamos ocupados e adicionamos mais de 50 novos recursos e uma incrível coleção de novos conteúdos, incluindo RealTracks, SuperTracks MIDI, Estudos Instrumentais, Loops, Performances de Artista, Presets de Amplitube e estilos associados, 12-Key RealTracks e Notação Hi-Q de Guitarra! Nós adicionamos 202 novos RealTracks, o dobro dos 101 que muitas vezes lançamos no passado! Agora, introduzindo o Video RealTracks (40 disponíveis entre Country, Pop e Jazz), que funcionam exatamente como o RealTracks, mas também incluem vídeos da performance do músico! Nós também fizemos um novo Xtra Styles PAK 4 com 160 novos Xtra Styles. (Xtra Styles são estilos baseados em RealTracks lançados anteriormente). Existem mais de 200 novos RealStyles para os nossos novos RealTracks, incluindo Americana, Klezmer, Top-40, Jazz Strings Pads, Vocals (oohs e aahs), New Crooner "Shout", estilos BigBand e muito mais! Nós temos um Bonus 49-PAK com 40 novos RealTracks inéditos além dos 202 acima, totalizando 242 novos RealTracks! O Bonus 49-PAK também inclui os Sets de Video RealTracks 1 e 2, 32 novos SuperTracks MIDI, 108 novos estudos instrumentais, 52 Loops e 8 Performances de artistas.

User Tip - Slowing Down and Looping Audio in Band-in-a-Box®

Forum user DeaconBlues09 created a video tutorial to help answer a fellow forum user's question:
Using the Audio Chord Wizard to tempo map, slow down, and learn the notes of an audio track - video link http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=R09Lf3bHjhQ

Forum thread: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=467504

Thanks for sharing!

#TBT - Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows Ear Training Fun!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows we added two great games for ear training: Pitch Invasion and Music Replay!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above (you hear the note sound, and click on the on-screen piano/MIDI or QWERTY keyboard to shoot them down).

Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

These games can still be accessed with newer versions of the program - in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 you'll find these by accessing the Practice Window or Ear Training Window, both located in the Window drop-down menu. The Practice Window can also be accessed using the Practice button within the main Band-in-a-Box screen (don't see it? CTRL+T to change the view).

Learn all about the features released with Version 2006 here.

Video: Exporting Audio Files in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Our latest video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - Exporting Audio Files Tutorial walks you through the different options to export your Band-in-a-Box® songs and song tracks from Band-in-a-Box® as an audio file (WAV, MP3, etc.)!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_Px958TmzhA

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 516 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows customer can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#516

Summary of changes:
Improved: More RealTracks have HiQ transcriptions. Fixed Bass AmericanaSlow16thsByron bad chords.
Improved: The Audio Drivers dialog for WAS devices now shows Bit Depth in the device description.
Improved: WAS audio driver performance has been Improved when using 44.1 kHz sample rate.
Improved: Windows Audio Session error messages contain more specific information.
Updated: Misc. updates to StylePicker database, memos, manuals, help files.
Fixed: "BBW.LST not found" errors when using the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: "mono" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: "normalize individual tracks" was only working for MIDI tracks.
Fixed: "One file per track" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: Access violation on bootup if using a Roland audio interface (ASIO) that is not connected.
Fixed: Adjusting Melody or Soloist tracks to fit a new number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: An access violation error might occur in the RealTracks Picker if quickly scrolling and double-clicking to hear demos.
Fixed: Changing a track name using the StylePicker mixer controls might open a hidden popup window.
Fixed: Changing the number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: Clicking on the far left of the Guitar window would cause a "!!!!!" flash message to show.
Fixed: If adjusting the number of choruses in your song, choosing Cancel is ignored when asked, "OK to adjust Melody track to fit new # of choruses?".
Fixed: JazzBebopDannyBrushes sometimes out of sync.
Fixed: Panning the audio track did not work.
Fixed: Some Amplitube presets/styles/demos pointed to a preset which wasn't available in some installs.
Fixed: Some typos and omissions in RealDrums Picker.
Fixed: The [.STY] button in the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: The [Get Patch/Drum Kit Info] button in the MIDI drivers dialog would not find the synthesizer documentation.
Fixed: The About dialog was not showing the Fretlight Ready logo.
Fixed: The Audio Chord Wizard would always run in English.
Fixed: The busy mouse cursor might remain after analyzing audio with the Audio Chord Wizard.
Fixed: The PDF driver installer could not be launched from Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: The Plugins window would be too small when using plugins that have a small GUI.
Fixed: Using a Coyote DXi synthesizer (eg CoyoteWT or ForteDXi) might cause crackling/buzzing noise during playback.
Fixed: Using a multi speaker layout (eg. 4 speakers surround sound) instead of stereo might cause failure to connect to audio hardware with error -9996. This only happened when using WAS as audio driver type.
Fixed: Video rendering would fail if saved using Japanese characters in file name.
Fixed: When saving a Hybrid style for the first time, the File Save dialog should start in the Styles directory.

PG Music Inc. Newsletter - Stay In-the-Loop!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, or other PG Music Inc. products are released? Sign up for the newsletter at http://www.pgmusic.com/newsletter.htm.

If you purchased Band-in-a-Box® (or any other PG Music Inc. product) directly from us, you're already on the list!

Of course, we also announce new releases and specials on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pgmusicinc/), Twitter account (https://twitter.com/BandinaBox), and right here in our Forums!

Forum Stats
27398 Members
50 Forums
51254 Topics
423123 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Dougtech, Julian - PG Music, jc595263, Meagannn, Jenna Morales

27398 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 204
Ember - PG Music 155