Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
A
OP Offline
A
Hi Guys,

Can anyone suggest any quality mastering software/plugins?

I'm looking for something which is fairly easy to use and a good fit for ReadBand/BIAB.

Many thanks

Mike

Veteran
Veteran
Have you tried the plugins that come with PG Music products? Limiters, compressors and equalizers can get you a long way. You should first experiment with what you already have, and get the hang of using plugins and concepts of mastering.

I use Ozone by Izotope. I haven't tried it in BIAB/RB (I learned SONAR first) but it should work. Even if you don't buy it, they have a terrific free guide that is a must read for someone starting out in mastering.

Another top quality program you will encounter is the plugin suite by Waves. This is the industry standard but the last time I checked, it required iLock copy protection, which I will not use.

I am making a distinction here between mastering and mixing. If that isn't clear to you, then we need to drop back a step and clarify what mastering is.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Another Ozone user here... it's great software. I use it with BIAB/RB files in Reaper.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
Hi Mike,

I also use Ozone in Real Band. The beginner will find it easy to use by using one of the many presets. After getting familiar with the presets, you can tweek away at the many parameters for custom settings. The results are amazing! You can download the program for a free trial. I don't remember what the trial restrictions are, but I do remember having the ability to fully test on my arrangements. Go to their site and check it out; try out the free demo download!

Don

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Yep! Another vote for Ozone! With all due respect to Matt, imho life is too short to be farting around with the built-in PG plugs! If you can afford Ozone you will be instantly amazed with what you can accomplish using the many presets!! If I never really understand mixing and mastering but I can get great tracks using these tools I will die a happy man! laugh

Veteran
Veteran
My "go-to" polisher (I don't call it "big "M" mastering) is Ozone and I use it in Sonar.

Regarding the built in or default plugs that come with BB/RB as well as any other DAW on the market.... You can produce radio ready product with the default plugs, but, for many folks including myself, the aftermarket plugs help get the job done faster.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/23/15 04:10 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks very much Guys for taking time and trouble to reply at Xmas, all very much appreciated and read with interest.

Ozone keeps coming up so I will check it out. The goal is to find a product which will allow me to produce music which will be professional enough to be played on radio and which will sound the same across most formats. I used to mix myself and pay for the mastering but it is about time I learned!

Have a great Xmas!

Cheers

Mike

Veteran
Veteran
Ozone costs a few hundred but is completely worth it. Ease of use is a great feature. My recommendation on this or almost any plugin: turn it up till you hear it clearly, then back off by half. Otherwise, it's very easy to overdo things.

Mastering also involves the relative balance of one song versus the others in the same collection. This used to be more important when people bought albums, cassettes or even CDs where there was a planned order of songs. Now, with individual MP3s etc. most songs are just jacked up to maximum volume, however horrible that is to the artistry of the music. And the radio station is going to further add their own compression to squeeze the life out of whatever you give them. Anyway, if you are making a collection of songs, then I recommend CD Architect by SONY.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks again Matt.

I've checked out Ozone today and will be almost certainly get it. Just have to decide whether any of their bundled products are worth having as well. I'm back into this for the long haul with the goal of getting a few more songs on the radio!

Have a great Xmas.

Regards

Mike

Veteran
Veteran
They have a very effective noise reduction program.

They also have Alloy, which you could think of as Ozone Lite. Ozone is meant to go on the final bus, or a stereo audio file. Alloy uses much less of your computer resources and is intended to be applied to individual tracks in a mix, before you mix down to a stereo file. You can have many instances of Alloy running concurrently, but I don't recommend that with Ozone.

That isn't a knock on Ozone, though - I highly recommend it.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Another top quality program you will encounter is the plugin suite by Waves. This is the industry standard but the last time I checked, it required iLock copy protection, which I will not use.

Waves moved on from iLok a couple of cycles ago. Their copy protection is similar to Celemony and PGMusic now.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, the waves copy protection is not bad now, and they have some fabulous plugins!

I use the waves plugins on individual tracks and I use Ozone for the final master.

Veteran
Veteran
I use Ozone on tracks as well as busses and of course in the master output buss.

I haven't checked, but at one time, and perhaps still, Ozone was offered as a fully functional demo that worked for 10 days before shutting down into demo mode.

Anyone who makes the mistake of downloading the demo to use had better have the money saved up to buy it. It's THAT good. You WILL have to purchase it after you get a taste of what it can do.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: acceleratorhams
Hi Guys,

Can anyone suggest any quality mastering software/plugins?

I'm looking for something which is fairly easy to use and a good fit for ReadBand/BIAB.

Many thanks

Mike

The most salient point IMO was made by Matt:

“Have you tried the plugins that come with PG Music products? Limiters, compressors and equalizers can get you a long way. You should first experiment with what you already have, and get the hang of using plugins and concepts of mastering.”

Ozone is great, but it has a tendency to suck all of the dynamics out of a mix if overused. (And a lot of people overuse it, myself included grin ). Real Tracks are already compressed at the time they were recorded (SOP), and adding more limiting and compression can reduce your headroom considerably.

Try some judicious EQ, limiting and compression on the Master Buss, and you might find you have a brighter, cleaner mix.

Regards,

Bob

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I haven't checked, but at one time, and perhaps still, Ozone was offered as a fully functional demo that worked for 10 days before shutting down into demo mode.

That is still the case.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Veteran
Veteran
Ozone also includes a standalone app that you can run your stereo mix through independent of the DAW. Also Ozone 6 (my product) has a suite of "light" presets and they will not "suck the life out of your" as somebody mentioned. The other presets can indeed do that unless you modify them per your song.

It may have been mentioned but I suggest you resist the temptation to use Ozone for mastering at any point during your production until you are satisfied with your mix.

A great companion to Ozone is Izotope's Nectar which is for vocal processing but has an incredible reverb that can be used alone for non-vocal tracks.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Also Ozone 6 (my product) has a suite of "light" presets and they will not "suck the life out of your" as somebody mentioned.
Bud

All very good advice. About just this quote, if you were referring to my post, I said the radio stations will do that no matter what you do. It's their mission to make all volumes sound the same over radio. But if it was Bob's post, or others, the advice is well taken to use Ozone or any other plugin in moderation.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. Somebody else mentioned that. Think he said suck all the dynamics out. And it certainly can if you get carried away with the compression modules. Typing on phone so I'm not particularly expressive!

Veteran
Veteran
We're good! I just re-read the thread and clarified my post. Many of us are saying something similar. This thread should be very helpful to anyone starting out along this route. I remember twenty years ago asking the same question: how come my mixes don't sound like the ones on my CDs?

A
OP Offline
A
All of your experience and comments are very welcome. Thank you and have a great Xmas!

Best wishes

Mike

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,534
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200