You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#126991 - 08/27/11 05:54 AM Jazz Chords
Bonhilda Offline

Loc: Australia
I love Band-in-a-Box, but find some of the limitations with jazz chords in the software to be really frustrating.

When I am using the ear trainer, I would like to learn to identify chords such as:
- Augmented triad
- Major 7 #5
- Suspended b9
- Dominant #9
- Major 7 #11
- Dominant 7 #5
- Dominant 7 #11

It would also be useful to be able to select which chords one wants to be tested on rather than just choosing between common extensions and all extensions. And the process of ear training would be more efficient if it didn't repeat the same chord several times in a row!

Also, not hearing the next question immediately after answering would be good... If I get a question right, I would like to be able to listen to the question again to reinforce the sound of that chord, and if I get the question wrong, it would be extremely beneficial to hear what the wrong answer sounds like to compare it to the sound of the correct answer.

When I am entering chords into the main window to create a backing track, I would like Band-in-a-Box to recognise chords with multiple extensions, such as D7b9#5. Currently I can't have both the b9 AND the #5, I have to choose one or the other to be able to input the chords.

I notice that in both the ear trainer and the entering of chords for backing tracks, Band-in-a-Box does not distinguish between a diminished triad and a diminished 7th chord, which I don't think is very good.

If these restrictions could be removed I would be very very happy and will immediately get the update!
I use the ear trainer and...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/27/11 05:52 AM
View the results of this poll.
I enter jazz chords into the main window and...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/27/11 05:52 AM
View the results of this poll.

#126992 - 08/27/11 06:57 AM Re: Jazz Chords [Re: Bonhilda]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

Have you tried the chord builder , I found that the way I write chords wasn't the same as PG and it wouldn't enter them . Lots are under the "other"check box . Sorry I don't use the ear training .

#126993 - 08/27/11 08:46 AM Re: Jazz Chords [Re: Bonhilda]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, New York an...
Quote:

When I am entering chords into the main window to create a backing track, I would like Band-in-a-Box to recognise chords with multiple extensions, such as D7b9#5. Currently I can't have both the b9 AND the #5, I have to choose one or the other to be able to input the chords.

This assumption is incorrect. You may enter that chord as follows: D7#5b9

As TommyC pointed out, the Chord Builder can assist you in writing supported chord types in BIAB format. Or, just ask in the BIAB user forum. Or, contact PG Music Support.

Your point about the diminished versus diminished seventh is correct. This is well known and has been discussed on the Wishlist. In operation, though, often the style dictates whether you hear the 7th.

I do not use the ear trainer; cannot comment or vote on that.

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Video - Save Your Song as a Video with Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows!

One of the newest features in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows is the ability to save your song as a video!

Watch this newest feature in action with our YouTube video: http://youtu.be/P07vmLIJCok

Introducing RealTracks Artist Avery Bright - Album Credits

RealTracks Artist Avery Bright has been playing the Violin since he was just four years old! He's been part of a few different albums this year - view his album credits here.

You'll find Avery's work in RealTracks Set 206: Pop String Quartet.

Purchase jBridge for Only $10!

One of the exciting new features in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows is support for 64-bit VST Plugins when you use jBridge.

You can purchase jBridge for just $10 during our special! Click here for more information.

Load and Play Videos with Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows!

One of the new features in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows is the ability to load videos that you have already downloaded from YouTube or elsewhere into Band-in-a-Box Video Window. The audio is extracted from the video to the audio track!
Watch program creator Peter Gannon explain this new feature here.

Introducing RealTracks Artist Mike Moreno - Upcoming Shows!

Mike Moreno is a Jazz guitarist recognized as being one of the most important figures in the new generation of Jazz guitarists! He's also a busy man - not only will you find his work in our newest Jazz RealTracks Sets 215-216, you'll also find him performing throughout January! For a complete list of his upcoming performances, visit http://www.mikemoreno.com/shows.html

NEW! Band-in-a-Box Version 2015 Build 412 Update

The Band-in-a-Box Version 2015 Build 412 update is a free update for every Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows user! Click here to download.
** Major feature added **
Save as Video.
Now you can save your Band-in-a-Box song composition as a video, that you can upload to YouTube or work with in video programs. Just press the [Save as] button and choose 'Save as Video'. The 'video' portion is the chordsheet in Band-in-a-Box that shows the chords and a highlighted bar moving as the song plays. Song title and song info displays at the top of the window. For example, you can make a backing track for a cool chord progression, and upload it to YouTube for others to play along to. Do a visual transpose and upload a second version for Bb tenor sax players.

This patch also includes:

• Fixed: When no mp3 codecs were available and render was chosen to mp3, program was sometimes locking up.

• Fixed: Icon changed for 2015 new features in some menus.

• Fixed: Most HiQ instruments have been updated - fixed tuning problems and one sustained note problem.

• Improved: RT207 - A new RT - Horn Section, Rhythm, Funk 2-part, Ev 110 (Simple with Space) adds space between riffs and sounds more like a background style.

• Fixed: RT 208 Rockabilly - RealStyle fixed.

• Fixed: RT 209 Baritone Sax - RealStyle fixed.

• Fixed: RT 210 Motown - Style Demos Audio added, some song demos updated.

• Fixed: RT 211 Motown - Demo fixed.

• Fixed: RT 212 Synths - RealStyle and demos added for Synth, ElectroFlutes, Rhythm Pop Ev 085

• Fixed: RT 216 Jazz Pollwinners - updated/fixed demos and styles.

• Fixed: Audiophile version crash when a specific P&W holds file was used.

• Updated: StylePicker list updates for new styles.

• Updated: Documentation and help file updates.

Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Windows Hard Drive!

The pre-installed hard drive option for the Band-in-a-Box UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK and Audiophile Edition packages are a convenient way to purchase your Band-in-a-Box! These options are delivered completely pre-installed on a high-speed USB 2.0 HD!

Taking your Band-in-a-Box with you is easy when you have the UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK or Audiophile Edition.

Forum Stats
22398 Members
39 Forums
31718 Topics
251530 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 12:12 PM
Newest Members
Stagecoach, mrjuban, SlashBIAB, umd, efghij502603

22397 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
PeterGannon 279
Noel96 251