You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#126991 - 08/27/11 05:54 AM Jazz Chords
Bonhilda Offline

Loc: Australia
I love Band-in-a-Box, but find some of the limitations with jazz chords in the software to be really frustrating.

When I am using the ear trainer, I would like to learn to identify chords such as:
- Augmented triad
- Major 7 #5
- Suspended b9
- Dominant #9
- Major 7 #11
- Dominant 7 #5
- Dominant 7 #11

It would also be useful to be able to select which chords one wants to be tested on rather than just choosing between common extensions and all extensions. And the process of ear training would be more efficient if it didn't repeat the same chord several times in a row!

Also, not hearing the next question immediately after answering would be good... If I get a question right, I would like to be able to listen to the question again to reinforce the sound of that chord, and if I get the question wrong, it would be extremely beneficial to hear what the wrong answer sounds like to compare it to the sound of the correct answer.

When I am entering chords into the main window to create a backing track, I would like Band-in-a-Box to recognise chords with multiple extensions, such as D7b9#5. Currently I can't have both the b9 AND the #5, I have to choose one or the other to be able to input the chords.

I notice that in both the ear trainer and the entering of chords for backing tracks, Band-in-a-Box does not distinguish between a diminished triad and a diminished 7th chord, which I don't think is very good.

If these restrictions could be removed I would be very very happy and will immediately get the update!
I use the ear trainer and...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/27/11 05:52 AM
View the results of this poll.
I enter jazz chords into the main window and...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/27/11 05:52 AM
View the results of this poll.

#126992 - 08/27/11 06:57 AM Re: Jazz Chords [Re: Bonhilda]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

Have you tried the chord builder , I found that the way I write chords wasn't the same as PG and it wouldn't enter them . Lots are under the "other"check box . Sorry I don't use the ear training .

#126993 - 08/27/11 08:46 AM Re: Jazz Chords [Re: Bonhilda]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George, N...
Quote:

When I am entering chords into the main window to create a backing track, I would like Band-in-a-Box to recognise chords with multiple extensions, such as D7b9#5. Currently I can't have both the b9 AND the #5, I have to choose one or the other to be able to input the chords.

This assumption is incorrect. You may enter that chord as follows: D7#5b9

As TommyC pointed out, the Chord Builder can assist you in writing supported chord types in BIAB format. Or, just ask in the BIAB user forum. Or, contact PG Music Support.

Your point about the diminished versus diminished seventh is correct. This is well known and has been discussed on the Wishlist. In operation, though, often the style dictates whether you hear the 7th.

I do not use the ear trainer; cannot comment or vote on that.

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
The Bonus 49-PAK for Mac... What is it?

During our Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac Special, when you purchase ANY Band-in-a-Box package you are able to add a 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

What is the 49-PAK? It's a great way (and the only way) to receive some amazing UNRELEASED RealTracks, Artist Performances, Instrumental Studies and MIDI SuperTracks!

To listen to demos and learn more about the 49-PAK, visit www.pgmusic.com/bbmac/bonuspaks2015.htm

We also have a great video on our YouTube page that showcases all the items available in the 49-PAK, which can be watched here: https://youtu.be/azoay5lZ00M

Band-in-a-Box 2015 Mac Special Prices end June 30, 2015!

If you haven't purchased your Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac Upgrade yet, there's still time to SAVE on Upgrade packages and receive a FREE Bonus 6-PAK with your order! But, time is running out - our special ends on June 30, 2015!
Band-in-a-Box package information...

During our special, we're also offering additional Bonus PAKs packed full of unreleased RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies and Artist Performances! Learn more about Bonus PAKs...

Freebie Friday - Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac includes a FREE 6-PAK Until June 30th!

During our Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac special we're giving away the Bonus 6-PAK with all First-time and most* Upgrade packages!

So, what are you getting for FREE in this 6-PAK?
5 Artist Performances:
-An Irish Session - The Silver Spear (Reel) Rhythm guitar
-An Irish Session - The Silver Spear (Reel) Banjo Melody
-An Irish Session - The Silver Spear (Reel) Guitar Melody
-Pop Saxes, Flute & Clarinet JAZFUNK Artist Performance with Saxes - So Sweet Melody
-Pop Saxes, Flute & Clarinet JAZFUNK Artist Performance with Saxes - So Sweet Soloist

5 Instrumental Studies:
-Guitar, Acoustic, Country\Country Fingerpicking, Ev 085
-Guitar, Acoustic, Celtic\Celtic Reel, Ev16 110
-Guitar, Electric, Blues and Rock\Blues Rock Shuffle, Sw 130
-Guitar, Electric, Country\Country Soloist, Ev 120
-Guitar, Electric, Jazz and Bossa\Jazz Comp, Sw 140

5 MIDI SuperTracks:
-String Quartet, Rhythm PopEven Ev 120
-Piano, Electric, Rhythm MotownRnBUptempo Ev 165
-Piano, Rhythm NewOrleansMardiGrasKevin Ev16 085
-Piano, Rhythm RockabillyJiveKevin Sw 190
-Piano, Rhythm RockabillyRockNRollKevin Ev 165

Learn more about the Bonus 6-PAK, listen to Demos, and see what else we're offering for a limited time at www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks2015.htm

(*the $49 Pro Upgrade doesn't include the Bonus 6-PAK or any other additional Add-ons)

Video - Using Drag and Drop in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac, there were over 50 new features added, which included Drop Station enhancements!

We've created a new video available on our YouTube Channel and Support page titled "Video: Using Drag and Drop in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac" that highlights the enhanced feature!

Head to the Forum Post announcing this video to watch a particular section.

Video Index:
-Introduction
-Configuring Drag and Drop
-Dragging Audio to Finder
-Dragging Audio to GarageBand
-Viewing Suggestions

Watch the complete video on YouTube

Visit our Support page to view the video on our website!

Band-in-a-Box Videos Available on www.groove3.com!

If you're a member of http://www.groove3.com you can watch the videos they've published called "BIAB 2015 for Windows Explained" and "BIAB 2014 for Mac Explained"
(Stay tuned for a "BIAB 2015 for Mac" video...)

We also offer many FREE videos about Band-in-a-Box on our YouTube Channel and Video Support Page!

Seeking Your Video Testimonials - There's Still Time!!

Attention all Band-in-a-Box Users! If you haven't sent us your Video Testimonial yet, there's still time!

Last week we announced that we're working on a Testimonials project, and want to hear from you! If you send us your Video Testimonial, and we use it on our website, you'll win a Band-in-a-Box EverthingPAK!

Complete details about this contest can be viewed here.

Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac - Watch the New Features Video!

Want to see all the great new features in the just-released Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac? Watch the video on YouTube.

This video, along with many other video tutorials for Band-in-a-Box for Mac, can also be viewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbmac.htm.

Forum Stats
23244 Members
37 Forums
34356 Topics
274416 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
Robert88, vat21, uvwxyz853875, luispenedo, opqrst204435

23244 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
PeterGannon 230
Icelander 149