You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#126991 - 08/27/11 05:54 AM Jazz Chords
Bonhilda Offline

Loc: Australia
I love Band-in-a-Box, but find some of the limitations with jazz chords in the software to be really frustrating.

When I am using the ear trainer, I would like to learn to identify chords such as:
- Augmented triad
- Major 7 #5
- Suspended b9
- Dominant #9
- Major 7 #11
- Dominant 7 #5
- Dominant 7 #11

It would also be useful to be able to select which chords one wants to be tested on rather than just choosing between common extensions and all extensions. And the process of ear training would be more efficient if it didn't repeat the same chord several times in a row!

Also, not hearing the next question immediately after answering would be good... If I get a question right, I would like to be able to listen to the question again to reinforce the sound of that chord, and if I get the question wrong, it would be extremely beneficial to hear what the wrong answer sounds like to compare it to the sound of the correct answer.

When I am entering chords into the main window to create a backing track, I would like Band-in-a-Box to recognise chords with multiple extensions, such as D7b9#5. Currently I can't have both the b9 AND the #5, I have to choose one or the other to be able to input the chords.

I notice that in both the ear trainer and the entering of chords for backing tracks, Band-in-a-Box does not distinguish between a diminished triad and a diminished 7th chord, which I don't think is very good.

If these restrictions could be removed I would be very very happy and will immediately get the update!
I use the ear trainer and...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/27/11 05:52 AM
View the results of this poll.
I enter jazz chords into the main window and...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/27/11 05:52 AM
View the results of this poll.

#126992 - 08/27/11 06:57 AM Re: Jazz Chords [Re: Bonhilda]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Have you tried the chord builder , I found that the way I write chords wasn't the same as PG and it wouldn't enter them . Lots are under the "other"check box . Sorry I don't use the ear training .

#126993 - 08/27/11 08:46 AM Re: Jazz Chords [Re: Bonhilda]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Quote:

When I am entering chords into the main window to create a backing track, I would like Band-in-a-Box to recognise chords with multiple extensions, such as D7b9#5. Currently I can't have both the b9 AND the #5, I have to choose one or the other to be able to input the chords.

This assumption is incorrect. You may enter that chord as follows: D7#5b9

As TommyC pointed out, the Chord Builder can assist you in writing supported chord types in BIAB format. Or, just ask in the BIAB user forum. Or, contact PG Music Support.

Your point about the diminished versus diminished seventh is correct. This is well known and has been discussed on the Wishlist. In operation, though, often the style dictates whether you hear the 7th.

I do not use the ear trainer; cannot comment or vote on that.
BIAB 2016 for Windows Audiophile, SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, & Encore running on Windows 10 64-bit, i7. Hardware includes a Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20, TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch.

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Special is Almost Over!

If you haven't ordered your Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac upgrade yet, and you're interested in great savings (up to 50% off!) on most upgrade packages and a Free Bonus PAK, don't wait any longer - the special is scheduled to end on May 31st!

Place your order online at www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm or give us a call: www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac PlusPAK Upgrade Option

Do you already own all the previously released RealTracks Sets 1-227 and Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Mac? The 2016 PlusPAK Upgrade may just be the purchase for you!

This upgrade is on sale for just $99 until May 31, 2016 (regular price $129). It includes:
-Band-in-a-Box® 2016
-201 NEW RealTracks in Sets 228-253
-The FREE BONUS PAK

You can choose to download this order, or have the installation DVDs shipped to you. Once you've received the installation files, simply install them to your existing Band-in-a-Box folder! The 2016 PlusPAK can be purchased here.

If you're interested in adding 24 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 2 Artist Video Performances, 8 MIDI SuperTracks, and 15 Instrumental Studies to your PlusPAK, add the Bonus 49-PAK for just $49!

RealBand 2016: Build 7 Update Patch Available!

Did you know... If you own Band-in-a-Box 2016 for Windows, you also own RealBand 2016!

With that in mind, a new update patch is available here.

Summary of Fixes for Build 7 (May 26, 2016):

Fixed: Lyrics from a .KAR file sometimes weren't displaying correctly.
Fixed: An issue in which the program might still freeze on exit if play wasn't pressed, GS Wavetable was the current synth, and ASIO4all was used.
Fixed: Access violation when double-clicking in the StylePicker.
Fixed: Quick Preview area of the StylePicker was broken.
Fixed: Spurious messages about rebuilding StylePicker when a rebuild was not necessary.
Updated: New RealBand logo/splash/icon added to program.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Special - Time is Running Out!

We recently released Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac! To celebrate, we're offering up to 50% off on Upgrade packages - but only until May 31st. Plus, if you order your 2016 version during our special you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK of Add-ons that includes:

1 Artist Video Performance:
-Jack Stafford Sax: Indiana

3 MIDI SuperTracks:
-Piano, Rhythm FolkySwing Sw 110
-Piano, Electric, Rhythm FunkSwing16 Sw16 085
-Piano, Rhythm CountryBentNoteJohn Sw 085

4 Instrumental Studies:
-Bass, Electric, Jazz Funk Poppy, Ev16 110
-Guitar, Acoustic, Folk, 2-part Fingerpicking, Sw16 085
-Guitar, Electric, Blues and Rock, Medium Rock Soloist, Ev 120
-Piano, Acoustic, Jazz and Bossa, Solo-Accompaniment Jazz Stride, Sw 085

We're also offering a 49-PAK, with 24 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 2 Artist Video Performances, 8 MIDI SuperTracks, and 15 Instrumental Studies. Add it to your purchase for only $49!
These Add-ons are not included in any other package.

Learn more about your purchase options at www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

New Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Video: Fake Sheet Mode, Repeats, 1st/2nd Endings, Codas, etc.

The final Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac New Features video is ready, and we've added demonstrations of importing/exporting Music XML, chord chart customization, and more!

Check it out: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_eqADUKt71A

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Windows Build 434 Update Available!

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2016 for Windows.

Download the Band-in-a-Box 2016 Build 434 update (BETA) here.
This is considered to be a beta version because it is new.

Summary of changes for Build 434 (May 11, 2016):

Fixed: The [Options] button in the Repeats dialog would open the old Display Options window.
Fixed: The track buttons in the notation window would sometimes cause random messages to appear.
Fixed: The song title subgenres were not translated in localized versions.
Fixed: Edit | Lyrics | Copy Lyrics to Clipboard did not work with bar-based lyrics.
Fixed: Saving a scheme in Display Options might fail sometimes (error = "Failed to save scheme file").
Fixed: Rests & Pushes would not display in color while other chords in the same bar were being entered.
Fixed: N/A styles show in the StylePicker the first time it opens.
Fixed: In the What Add-ons do I have? dialog, RealTracks that only include RealDrums will be missing.
Fixed: When opening or importing a WAV file, and choosing "No" for the popup message "File is mono. Answer Yes to import as mono, or No to convert to stereo" would not convert the audio to stereo.
Fixed: When opening or importing a WAV file, and choosing "Cancel" for the popup message "File is mono. Answer Yes to import as mono, or No to convert to stereo" would not cancel the import.
Fixed: The track decibel offset saved in style files was not applying to UserTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Build 127 Update Available

We've released a Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac patch (build 127) that has a total of 60 updates, additions, and fixes!

Learn more about this free patch update (for 2016 customers) and download it here.

Forum Stats
24768 Members
42 Forums
39898 Topics
316949 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
STinBV, Sunrise, rouzemad, TCH, MrMarcH

24767 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 161
Pat Marr 155