You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#126991 - 08/27/11 02:54 AM Jazz Chords
Bonhilda Offline

Loc: Australia
I love Band-in-a-Box, but find some of the limitations with jazz chords in the software to be really frustrating.

When I am using the ear trainer, I would like to learn to identify chords such as:
- Augmented triad
- Major 7 #5
- Suspended b9
- Dominant #9
- Major 7 #11
- Dominant 7 #5
- Dominant 7 #11

It would also be useful to be able to select which chords one wants to be tested on rather than just choosing between common extensions and all extensions. And the process of ear training would be more efficient if it didn't repeat the same chord several times in a row!

Also, not hearing the next question immediately after answering would be good... If I get a question right, I would like to be able to listen to the question again to reinforce the sound of that chord, and if I get the question wrong, it would be extremely beneficial to hear what the wrong answer sounds like to compare it to the sound of the correct answer.

When I am entering chords into the main window to create a backing track, I would like Band-in-a-Box to recognise chords with multiple extensions, such as D7b9#5. Currently I can't have both the b9 AND the #5, I have to choose one or the other to be able to input the chords.

I notice that in both the ear trainer and the entering of chords for backing tracks, Band-in-a-Box does not distinguish between a diminished triad and a diminished 7th chord, which I don't think is very good.

If these restrictions could be removed I would be very very happy and will immediately get the update!
I use the ear trainer and...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/27/11 02:52 AM
View the results of this poll.
I enter jazz chords into the main window and...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/27/11 02:52 AM
View the results of this poll.

#126992 - 08/27/11 03:57 AM Re: Jazz Chords [Re: Bonhilda]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

Have you tried the chord builder , I found that the way I write chords wasn't the same as PG and it wouldn't enter them . Lots are under the "other"check box . Sorry I don't use the ear training .

#126993 - 08/27/11 05:46 AM Re: Jazz Chords [Re: Bonhilda]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, New York an...
Quote:

When I am entering chords into the main window to create a backing track, I would like Band-in-a-Box to recognise chords with multiple extensions, such as D7b9#5. Currently I can't have both the b9 AND the #5, I have to choose one or the other to be able to input the chords.

This assumption is incorrect. You may enter that chord as follows: D7#5b9

As TommyC pointed out, the Chord Builder can assist you in writing supported chord types in BIAB format. Or, just ask in the BIAB user forum. Or, contact PG Music Support.

Your point about the diminished versus diminished seventh is correct. This is well known and has been discussed on the Wishlist. In operation, though, often the style dictates whether you hear the 7th.

I do not use the ear trainer; cannot comment or vote on that.

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Rebeca Mauleón - Upcoming Appearance!

Rebeca Mauleón joins Carlos Del Puerto, Jesús Diaz and Carlos Caro this Saturday, July 26th for the "Master Class: Inside the Cuban Rhythm Section w/ Carlos Del Puerto" event at the SFJAZZ Center in San Francisco!
Click here for more information.

Purchase Site Licenses and LabPAKs for Band-in-a-Box!

Interested in purchasing Band-in-a-Box to use in your school? We offer special pricing when purchasing five or more installations! Click here to see the options available.

Share your UserTracks on our Forum!

An exciting new features of Band-in-a-Box 2014 is the ability to make UserTracks, which can be used just like any RealTracks!

We've created a tutorial to help you get started with UserTracks: Make a Band-in-a-Box UserTrack in under 10 minutes!

Once you've finished, feel free to share your creation on our UserTracks Forum.

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows - 13 Languages Available!

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows is available in thirteen different languages!

Select the following page for a complete list of the translations available: http://www.bandinabox.com

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows Patch Update Available

Do you own Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows? Make sure to download the latest patch update 384!

Band-in-a-Box 2014 German Patch for Windows

Existing Band-in-a-Box 2014 customers who'd like to use the German version can download the latest language patch here.

RealTracks Artist John Jorgenson - A Busy Man!

Interested in seeing RealTracks artist John Jorgenson perform? There's plenty of opportunities coming up! Take a look at his schedule: http://www.johnjorgenson.com/index.php/tour/

Forum Stats
22438 Members
38 Forums
29442 Topics
234016 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
playthelyric, Coolsmart06, Hkahn117, hifijohn, 1157

22438 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Guitarhacker 90
dani48 87