Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm curious how you are all doing this....

If I have a song that has different RT's for different sections, do you export the sections as "songs" and assemble them in a DAW? To clarify a little further, I'm not talking about the A/B feels. Different RT's for each section.

If so, are you exporting individual tracks to be assembled for each section?

Thanks!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
If I understand you correctly, the times I have changed Realtracks or styles in a song, I have done that in the bar settings, "style changes at this bar" button near the top of the (F5) menu screen.

With this method, the track renders and automatically includes the selected style changes. The track renders as a continuous track and no DAW editing is necessary.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
I just do this part in RB
Generate whatever Realtrack I want on whatever track is available (even multiple RTs on one track)
Then export/mix in whatever DAW you want. Each track can be easily be exported or dragged to the DAW section.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Export the Real Tracks as complete tracks. That makes alignment simple. Import them to a DAW and use volume envelopes to bring things in and out.

This is a screenshot of my DAW for the envelopes (yellow lines with nodes) in

DUST ON THE FLOOR

Typically, all of my songs will look very similar to this when I'm finished mixing them.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Got it. Fantastic advice all the way around! Thank you VERY much! I wasn't sure if I was doing things "the hard way."...or if there is just an easier or better way.

I always appreciate the insights!

Veteran
Veteran
In my case, I enter the nodes manually and adjust each one precisely. I have been known to zoom in to get the edits surgically precise. This is handy when I'm using several tracks to create a solo or a fill. one or two notes or a lick from one track and the second track finishes the fill.

Tracks 12 & 13 with their envelopes here are a prime example of this....

These are the piano fills in THE BEST CHRISTMAS in the first verse. Comped from 2 tracks and surgically edited to sound like one cool fill.

It could be argued that it's a bunch of work doing it this way, but as I see it, it's the only way to do it. Take the time needed to get the results you desire. And as you get used to working in this manner, it really becomes quicker. The biggest problem is when you're working with multiple tracks on a solo. To pick the right parts, you have to listen to many different combinations until you get the "right one"....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/19/16 04:21 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yep - I do it just like Herb says.^

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
If your DAW allows it you could do what I do. I render the BIAB real track to a WAVE and drag it to an empty track in my DAW. For back ground instruments I will usually render three re-generated tracks and drag each to its own track in the DAW. I then highlight the 3 tracks and choose to implode tracks into a take. What you end up with is 3 WAVE files on the same track perfectly aligned but all different. I then split the track at each bar. What this allows is that when you listen back you can select and highlight which split section of the three tracks you want to hear.

It's similar to the multiriff function in Realband but in my opinion I can get much better results. You can get even finer edits by splitting the measure into 1/4ths. Using this method I am only editing 1 track versus several tracks. That means less volume envelopes and if your working with DI guitars and an amp simulator you need only one instance of the effect open conserving resources.

For solo instruments I usually render 8 tracks minimum but have done as many 12. Again they are imploded to a single take on a single track and split. For an example of what's possible. The following song was made with all real track files and custom editing.
https://soundcloud.com/jsting1/canyon-mist

This is just one way of many to custom edit real tracks. All the ways mentioned accomplish the same thing and it really becomes a matter of what works best for your work flow. You can make truly unique original compositions if you spend the time.

D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
Quote:
Yep - I do it just like Herb says

Me too! Set the grid granularity to a high enough degree to allow very precise placement of your (volume...or any) envelop points (aka nodes).

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 01/19/16 05:43 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
I follow what Jeff did above in Audition. Pretty much export rendered .WAVs from RealBand and do all editing in Audition. That's my comfy place for DAW.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Man! This is AWESOME! I was sort of doing some of this, but see I need to do MUCH more with these GREAT tips! Dang! I'm excited!!!! I see that I can truly get what I would like to get with more control than I've been getting.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Beagle
Yep - I do it just like Herb says.^

As do I.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Apprentice
Apprentice
My process is pretty close to the others listed here. I export as WAV and drop into my DAW. (Studio One is what I'm using) As I'm playing with the song in the DAW, if I decide to add a fiddle part or something else. I open up the song in BIAB, choose a Fiddle part and export that as WAV and then drop it in the DAW, with the rest of the tracks. Doing it that way, everything lines up and I can edit and mix in the DAW.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
Veteran
Veteran
I load multiple generations of a RT in my DAW and then cut and paste from them (comp) until I get the one track that I want for the song. I may have a fills/solo track that is comped from a dozen or more regens of the same RT and than includes comped bars (or less) in the solo. I do much less comping on rhythm tracks but will comp a bar here and there to make segues into/out of solos/vocals sound better.

The reason I comp to such an extent with solos is that I believe that I should "do no harm." Meaning that if the solo RT can be comped to hint at the melody then it should, at the least, not distract from it. Or something like that smile Our productions often appear sparse in the number of tracks but there is a lot of work in comping those few tracks to what I hope works.

Bud

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So I get the concept and have been playing around with it...which brings up the next question...

Are you exporting your songs in individual sections like verse, then another separate section for Chorus and assembling them in your DAW?

OR

Are you exporting the entire song as one file, and adding in tracks to comp after?

I hope that makes sense?

Thanks!

Veteran
Veteran
A couple points.
I would Export each track start to finish (or use the Drag/Drop feature) and import those into the DAW.

Also I do most of my comping in RB so I can continue to generate as desired.
Many times I am still generating well beyond when I thought I was done.
Oh, and RB has the Nodes like the images show, but I don't like messing with them.
I'm more of a Save As type of guy and just make the edits .. If I need three tracks for the bass I'll use them. Set 'em all to the same set of FX and set the volume how I want each. I've yet to run out of tracks for a song.
Maybe I'm just really old school, but if I'm comping tracks it doesn't bother me much.
A single sax solo doesn't have to reside on 1 track. If it can, fine, but if I have to start making adjustments it really doesn't matter to me if they are on different tracks or on one track and draggin Nodes around. It's often easier when comping tracks like bass or vocals to have them separated. If you are trying to comp a 1/16th note edit it can cause noticeable artifacts when forcing it to one track, and can sound much better if the edit happens between multiple tracks.

I can/have worked both ways, just observing that there are many ways to accomplish comping tracks.
In the old days you had to make max use of available tracks, but now we have plenty.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
So I get the concept and have been playing around with it...which brings up the next question...

Are you exporting your songs in individual sections like verse, then another separate section for Chorus and assembling them in your DAW?

OR

Are you exporting the entire song as one file, and adding in tracks to comp after?

I hope that makes sense?

Thanks!

I export the tracks in full...100% from start to finish. I place each track into a new audio track in Sonar. I then use envelopes to bring the instrument parts in and out as needed.

This screen shot is from a project in Sonar.

I use envelopes for all the tracks... even the bass, as you can see, which tends to maintain a constant level... but as you can see, it's there to edit things out and to fade the tracks together. You need to have nice ending tails that fade naturally.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Export entire tracks individually from RB and import them to DAW.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I tend to develop solos/fills by phrase or specific bars using multiriff on a Realband track. You can easily generate 250-300 phrase or bar specific choices in just a few minutes and utilizing the start early/end late feature creates some interesting riffs that tend to blend exceptionally well. You can also choose to cut/paste up to all 7 of the multi riffs generated in a section. It is not necessary to generate a whole track first. It can be generated by sections.

Using multiriff, you can also generate different solo instruments on a single track. Plus, usually a midi chart track also generates that you can use to twin solo parts.

I also recently found there are benefits to selecting solo instruments from Real Combo sets, such as the lead guitar and sax. They generate complimentary parts to each other and make for very realistic sounding fills and twin solos.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I tend to develop solos/fills by phrase or specific bars using multiriff on a Realband track. You can easily generate 250-300 phrase or bar specific choices in just a few minutes and utilizing the start early/end late feature creates some interesting riffs that tend to blend exceptionally well. You can also choose to cut/paste up to all 7 of the multi riffs generated in a section. It is not necessary to generate a whole track first. It can be generated by sections.

Using multiriff, you can also generate different solo instruments on a single track. Plus, usually a midi chart track also generates that you can use to twin solo parts.

I also recently found there are benefits to selecting solo instruments from Real Combo sets, such as the lead guitar and sax. They generate complimentary parts to each other and make for very realistic sounding fills and twin solos.

I will humbly say I know NOTHING about multiriff. It will have to check this out for sure! Thanks so much! This could also be a game changer!

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Taking Charlie's advice, I hopped over to find this video which explains multiriff very well.

I will post this for others (and myself when I look for this later) smile

Thanks Charlie, and thanks PG music for making great products AND videos on how they work!

Veteran
Veteran
Funny, I thought I included the multiriff feature in my previous post, but looking now I guess my mind was going faster than I could type.

Yet another reason I continue to do my comping in RB. It's very handy. I dislike moving projects back and forth between DAWs so I work in BiaB/RB as long as I can.
Including the comping.
Never know when you may need to regenerate (or generate additional) tracks ..

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195