Go To
#335248 02/07/16 04:05 AM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Hi - I'm back with my second song in Band-In-A-Box! This song is a celebration of my marriage, which is in its 24th year. We have one daughter in college and the other one in the high school. I find myself reflecting on how much has changed and wondering what the future will hold.

I generated all of the music with Band-In-A-Box (thank you PG Music for making this life-changing software!!) and I mixed in a couple of tracks with me singing.

Link in Soundcloud: Meant To Be

My first experience with this forum was fantastic and I am excited to have something new to contribute. I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Style
_ELECROK.STY (ElecRock RealTrks guits (120 RS))
RealTracks in style: ~~387:Bass, Electric, Metal Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 694:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockArp Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 697:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120
RealDrums in style: RockHardModernEv8^2-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

Lyrics
Watch the sun goes down
you're in a wedding gown
what will become of the rest of our lives

Waves rolling in and out
that's what its all about
we'll make it up with our collective vibes

Winds cause the leaves to swirl
no longer boy and girl
now we are more than just you and me

Snow makes it all look clean
as if we're in a dream
time spins quietly while we don't see

This is how our sweet life is meant to be
Make it what we want, don't follow, we are free
Live it the way we want, just let them see

Rain washes it away
We live another day
moving through life while we're standing still

Flowers bloom in the ground
our path that we have found
takes us to where it should, we know it will

Rivers swell and flow
onward we must go
savoring the moments of each twist and turn

Trees grow empty now
I don't remember how
lots to be proud of and still to learn

Make it what we want, don't follow, we are free
Live it the way we want, just let them see, just let them see

AdamRuchman.com (Visit for all of my audio and videos!)
aruchman #335259 02/07/16 04:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Adam,

A good listen. A good "rock sound".

The mix is good - though the vocals could up just a little. The guitars have good punch to them. As the song continues, the drums seemed to drop a shade and could use a bit of "heft" (they seem to be EQ'd to accentuate the top - could use a bit more bottom)

Enjoyed the song.

floyd

aruchman #335270 02/07/16 05:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Adam,

This is a very nice American rock sound.
Very nice second post indeed.
We detect sort of a radio/transistor sound to it with too much mid.
The Realtracks you used could definitely have a lot more body.
Are you using your build in soundcard or usb interface?

Kind regards,

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

aruchman #335275 02/07/16 05:53 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Adam, I agree with floyd. If the vocal was brought up a bit and some bottom end and volume applied to the drums it would help. This can be a really nice rock song with a few tweaks to the mix. Keep em coming. Tom

aruchman #335297 02/07/16 09:11 AM
User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Adam, you have something going for you and I think if you follow the advice given above you will be on the right track.
Enjoyed the rock and I am glad that you have made it to your 24th year of marriage. My wife and I have been married for 47 years and I would not want it any other way.
Enjoyed listening.
Sonny

floyd jane #335303 02/07/16 09:21 AM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Thanks Floyd - glad you enjoyed it. I will work on the mix some more - thanks for the advice!

RnAM #335306 02/07/16 09:27 AM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Hey RnAM - you are very astute!

I was playing with the track in GarageBand (never really used it before). I added the BIAB track to a microphone track and then again to an instrument track. It added some interesting crunch, so I left both tracks in there. Sounds like I need to play with the EQ more - I'm still really new to the mixing and don't really know what I'm doing yet.

My mic is fed into an audio interface through usb.

tommyad #335307 02/07/16 09:28 AM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Thanks Tom - I'll get working on it smile

SRP #335308 02/07/16 09:29 AM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Glad you enjoyed the song, Sonny. Congrats on 47 years - I wish you many more!

aruchman #335710 02/09/16 11:27 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Very nice track!! Agree with others about the mix. Also, the melody, as cool as it is, could be mixed up with another musical phrase to break it up a bit. Nice job! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Hey Greg - that makes sense to me. It could use some other element to add some depth. Not sure if adding something to the beginning and/or end would work or if I should try to insert some kind of a break in the middle. I'll try some different things to figure out what works.

Thanks very much!

aruchman #336687 02/15/16 07:52 AM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
I re-recorded the song and tried to mix it properly - please let me know what you think this time around! I did it differently this time and now I will have more control and be better able to tweak it based on your feedback.

• Used Ableton Live instead of Garage Band
  • Exported each track from BIAB and brought each one separately into Live
  • Did not apply any effects in Live - the tracks are as they came out of BIAB
  • Recorded the vocals and the harmonies directly into Live (I couldn't export/import cleanly, so I had to sing it again - oh well!)
  • Adjusted the volume of each track - not sure if this is the proper mix, but at least I can easily adjust any of it now.
  • Boosted the master volume - it kept coming out too low
  • Panned it more over to the left speaker - leaving it centered seemed to skew it to the right speaker for some reason.

Please check it out and let me know what you think: Meant To Be

I really appreciate your feedback!

Adam

Last edited by aruchman; 02/15/16 07:54 AM.

aruchman #336696 02/15/16 08:44 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Adam,
This is a nice tune, very "hooky" chorus!

The vocals are buried and muddy and need some adjustments there. Overall, the mix is heavy in the mids and could use some thinning out there.

Stucture-wise, I wanted to hear the chorus after the "second verse" instead of after the third.

Nice work! Keep working!

Beagle #336727 02/15/16 01:01 PM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Thanks for the feedback, Beagle. I thought I fixed the vocals in this re-mix, but I still don't quite know what I'm doing when it comes to mixing and am very glad to get your feedback.

Interesting note on the structure of the verses and chorus. I'm still new to songwriting and am learning as I go. Thanks for the observation.

I will certainly keep working on it!

aruchman #336889 02/16/16 04:31 PM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
OK - I finally figured out how to update the EQ. I lowered the mids, boosted the lows and I also boosted the volume on the drums a bit. I hope you like the new mix - please let me know either way, so I can correct it if needed or know that it is good.

Thanks!!

aruchman #337051 02/17/16 03:42 PM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
I need some help understanding how to set the pan between the speakers. For some reason, I start out on a Mac and it sounds like the music is mostly coming out of the right speaker. I panned it to the left a bit and it sounded good. Then I pushed it up to Soundcloud and listened on both my phone and a PC, where I found that it sounded like it was mostly coming out of the left speaker! I just set it to be in the middle (louder on the right on the mac) and re-published. It sounds wrong on my mac, but good on my phone and my pc. How is it to all of you?!

Also, I did re-mix it and hope to hear some feedback. Thanks very much!!

aruchman #337063 02/17/16 05:47 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Adam,

I enjoyed listening and I like your song. "time spins quietly while we don't see"...love that. You've got a good vibe going and a nice voice too.

Before you export your RT's to your DAW make sure they are panned center in BB or Realband so you can pan however you like in your DAW of choice.

Your Mac panning everything left is not normal. You might want to ask about that on the BIAB or Realband PG product forum and the guys will help you figure out why that is happening.

To learn mixing - check out The Recording Revolution. (I have no affiliation with the site other than Graham's the best practical - follow along see it done, hear how it sounds - teacher I've found. And many other people here share that opinion.)

aruchman #337080 02/17/16 10:59 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
HI Adam ...

Good to have you with us here on the PG Showcase.

Good take on the soft rock sound. Very nice lyric ... catchy. would like to have the vocal and drums a little more forward in the mix. Still, it was a great listen ... thanks!

Alan & Di

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Sundance #337534 02/21/16 11:00 AM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Thanks Josie - glad you like the song.

You are right - the tracks were not centered in BIAB, so I will do another pass after centering them and exporting. Also, I will check out the other forums and the Recoding Revolution - I took a quick peek and it does look like a great resource.

Thank you so much for the guidance!!
Adam

Al-David #337535 02/21/16 11:01 AM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Thanks Alan & Di. I'll keep working on it - thanks!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,599
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193