Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
G
GaryL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi,

First of all I've been out of the loop for years now. Lately I've been putting together songs in my ipad using StageTraxx which solo performers use a lot.

For convenience if I find a song on Karoke-Version that I can use, I grab one of those and call it the day. Otherwise I started using BIAB again to put together songs.

My issue is when I load the songs into my ipad the BIAB songs are about 3 to 4 db lower in volume. So switching between songs is going to be too much volume adjusting for a live situation.

My first thought for the quickest remedy would be to lower the volume in the Karoke Version songs and render but they are already compressed to high heaven and mp3's when I get them so the fidelity is going to take a hit if I do that.

Is there a way to master the BIAB songs when I render. By the way I'm still on 10.5 and it looks like the only way to render is mixdown to CD setting..which I save it as .wav

I have Audacity set up, Reaper but that just comes with your basic VST (I think) whatever you get for $60 and I have Studio One that came with interface box. It has some mastering eff but I was hoping I could do everything in BIAB.

Thank on any tips!

Veteran
Veteran
Various ways to do this.

After exporting to MP3, I use Wavelab to normalize all volumes to -4 dB (Any DAW will do this). Then I play the normalized files through the PA, making notes on which songs have to come up a dB or two, or down. I revisit those songs and get a more-or-less balanced set of volumes.

Nothing worse than having a song jump out at you 6 dB too loud! shocked

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Nothing worse than having a song jump out at you 6 dB too loud!

Ha! SOOOOO true!

+1 on the rest. Good info.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
G
GaryL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Ok, I guess I need to use something in Studio One to master or should I say compress/turn up the BIAB files. I tried normalize but still too much between the 2.

Thanks

Veteran
Veteran
I'm not sure what features are in your version of BiaB. If you've got the VST/DX Synths dialog, you can drop a VST compressor effect into the combo slot, or use the one that comes with BiaB.

Reaper actually comes with a nice set of VSTs which are pretty easy to use. They have a stand-alone set that can run in other DAWs, include BiaB - you can find them here. Obviously, there's the reacomp compressor plug-in. But the reajs plug-in has a number of nice tools as well. Push the Load button on the VST and look under LOSER to find some master limiters. SStillwell has some nice compressors - for example, eventhorizon and fairlychildish.

Since you've got Reaper already installed, keep in mind that the 60 days review period is non-expiring, so you won't lose any work if that period runs out - you'll just get a nag screen, but no lost functionality. I'd just load the .wav files from BiaB into Reaper and put compressors on the FX of the main buss.

Obviously there are other DAWs available - I just happen to be familiar with these, and you'd mentioned that you've got Reaper installed.

You can find other free VST compressors here, and you can find a list of free master limiters here. Again, these should work in BiaB, assuming that you've got a version that supports VSTis on the Combo track.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
Veteran
A simple alternative is to use something like..

Waves One Knob Louder

http://www.waves.com/plugins/oneknob-louder#oneknob-louder-demo

It is fairly transparent even when hitting something with 7 or 8 on the knob. You can download a demo to test it. $49 - they put it on sale at times. It could not be any simpler. Drop it on a mix file and turn the knob.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GaryL
Ok, I guess I need to use something in Studio One to master or should I say compress/turn up the BIAB files. I tried normalize but still too much between the 2.

Thanks

I use WavePad... not to be confused with WaveLab.... to do final edits and such on my exported waves. It's simply a wave editor and mp3 converter. My last step is to NORMALIZE the track to whatever level I want. Normalization is NOT compression.

With normalization, you are simply increasing the volume of everything in a track in a linear fashion using the highest musical peak as the reference point. So if you have a track with good average peaks through out, and set -4dB as the point, the entire track with those peaks comes up in volume. You are amplifying the peaks as well as the noise floor gets raised which is why a fair number of people speak poorly of normalizing. If you have a song with one large spike that's pretty loud, normalization will hardly be noticeable on that track.

You want to be careful with compression. Compression does more to the music than to simply raise the level, which is what a lot of folks use it for. It reduces the peaks while at the same time bringing up the lower program material.

I don't mess around with the karaoke tracks, but it doesn't surprise me one bit that they are super compressed. Trying to match your material to them would, I imagine, be difficult, for more than a few reasons.

MY THOUGHTS: If I was trying to do what you are attempting.... I would first, lightly compress (perhaps a bit more than "lightly" but error on the side of caution) the original WAVE file with a good DAW compressor to get it looking something like this:

Notice the head room in WavePad? That's the remaining distance between the peaks and the top and bottom of the window. Also notice that the peaks are pretty much all around the same point. This file can now easily be normalized to give a nice volume bump without further compression. Normalizing it will give a noticeable volume increase.

This file is not so easy to bump smoothly in volume due to it's "spikey" appearance. Those spikes will prevent it from seeing much of an increase in volume from a normalizing process. I would need to compress it first if I wanted to get the levels up. Notice that the peaks in this wave ARE touching the top and bottom of the screen. It has already been normalized to 100% in this case. Any further increase in volume would need to be through compression which would start to alter the sonic quality of the music in subtle ways. This song is on my web site and this is the version you will hear. 100% normalized level, no further compression. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11386873

The important part of this entire equation is the file you start with should be full and well recorded with strong levels. Start with a weak wave and you will have issues.

Trying to match your original music to that of some that was recorded in some sort of "professional setting" and compressed by that studio, is going to be an interesting project. Not impossible, but it will teach you some things along the way.

Hope this info is useful and educational to you.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/10/16 03:12 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
"My first thought for the quickest remedy would be to lower the volume in the Karoke Version songs and render but they are already compressed to high heaven and mp3's when I get them so the fidelity is going to take a hit if I do that."

Not really. Just lower the Karaoke tracks volumes to match the BIAB songs.

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
As Guitarhacker pointed out, normalization is limited by the maximum volume of the recording. Normalization works by going raising the volume of the whole sound - but only so that none of the sound exceeds the maximum.

That means that if any of the recording is already near the maximum (typically one of those "spikes", or "transients" - often a drum beat), there's not much room to raise the volume.

A compressor works by raising the raising the volume where it's low ("low level compression"), and lowering the volume where it's high ("peak limiting"). You lose variety in volume, but generally gain in overall loudness. You'll need to know how to fiddle with settings to get the best results, or find VST with presets or simplified settings (like floyd jane pointed out).

The "transparency" of the compressor is determined by how fast it turns changes the volume, and how quickly it returns to the normal settings. Typically, you don't want to hear the knob being turned (so to speak), although sometimes that effect (called "pumping") is desirable.

A master limiter is just a more specialized compressor. It's named as such because it's typically placed on the master buss to limit the signal so it doesn't exceed the maximum volume ("peak limiter"). But you might find it an easy way to increase the volume.

There are a number of free VSTs that specialize in making a mix louder, such as this. They're typically just compressors with the settings simplified so they're easier to use.

Last edited by dcuny; 02/10/16 06:03 AM.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny

There are a number of free VSTs that specialize in making a mix louder,.... They're typically just compressors with the settings simplified so they're easier to use.

One of my favorites is the VST BOOST 11 that comes with Cakewalk. It's not free. But it is included in the majority of the Cakewalk DAWs. When I have a track that isn't cutting through the mix, I can throw B-11 on it and waaa laaa.... I can hear it.

Of course the better option and one that I generally work on later on in the mix process is to turn the other tracks down a bit so I don't need to use B-11 because it does squash the sound of that track.... with a guitar, that's not a problem, but with a vocal, you don't want it squashed.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
The OP is talking about a "live situation", i.e. - through a PA. What sort of PA? A Bose system, SOS's, or a full-blown pro system? Any given mix will sound decidedly different on each of these systems. I have three PA systems. They all sound very different.

There is no plug-in that will substitute for your ears in this situation. The best method I have found is to adjust the gain of each mix to a baseline (-4 dB in my case), play the tracks over the PA at performance levels, and adjust volumes accordingly. It's time consuming, but it works much better than the one button approach.

Regards,

Bob

G
GaryL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
I'll check the Reaper vst out, Thanks! I bought reaper awhile back, I really like the feature where it slows down the track but keeps the pitch, works great. I need to take the time and learn how to set it up though, makes sense in looking at your link to the vst's

G
GaryL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
I hear you. It would be nice to have individual channels for each instrument since room acoustics change also affects levels but I guess that defeats the ipad mp3 concept of having everything compact in one place with lyrics that scroll as the song plays.

G
GaryL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Thanks for the pics. Yes, I like the headroom you got to work with there. I'll see what I can do.

Veteran
Veteran
Not sure about version 10.5, but recent versions have the sliders in the image below.
Not sure how they actually work , but suspect they use PGPeakLimit plugin in the output path. In older versions they may be available but located in a different place, maybe as menu item as opposed to sliders in the mixer shown.

You could also simply open the resulting file in Realband (from a BiaB song saved as either a Wav or a native .sgu format) ... and then use the PGPeakLimit plugin on the whole thing as a VST .. but that would open a whole 'nother world of PGMusic goodness.
wink

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BBMainOut.jpg (92.08 KB, 162 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Also, you mentioned Audacity...it comes with pretty good compression and normalization tools that you can set up as a macro process and apply repeatedly to a batch of files.

not a newbie, but not very active either
narfboy
L
Expert
Expert
L
Hi Guitarhacker

I noticed you use Wavepad. I also use that for a lot of ESL language recordings. Do you feel the effects that come with it match up to eg the effects in Realtracks? Do you use any of the other NCH products. I use quite a few others like Switch for file conversion and debut for video recording and soundtap for audio recording. I'm a big fan of most of their products. I also bought Mixpad, but I've not used it for multitrack recording. Are you familiar with it and how do you rate it? Could I consider it a serious DAW product. Sorry I'm pretty new to multi-track recording and DAWs.

Thanks

Neil

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lambada
Hi Guitarhacker

I noticed you use Wavepad. I also use that for a lot of ESL language recordings. Do you feel the effects that come with it match up to eg the effects in Realtracks? Do you use any of the other NCH products. I use quite a few others like Switch for file conversion and debut for video recording and soundtap for audio recording. I'm a big fan of most of their products. I also bought Mixpad, but I've not used it for multitrack recording. Are you familiar with it and how do you rate it? Could I consider it a serious DAW product. Sorry I'm pretty new to multi-track recording and DAWs.

Thanks

Neil

I use specific tools for specific jobs. So as far as WavePad is concerned..... here's what I use it to do:

1. To view the overall wave. I can see if the song is compressed and to what level.

2. To trim the starting count in and the dead air at the end.

3. To normalize the file if it's low.

4. To convert to MP3.

I do not use WavePad to add effects or compression to the file. Since I don't use FX in WavePad nor do I use the FX in Real Band or on realtracks, I really can't answer that question about how they compare. All my FX go in at the DAW level in Sonar.

I think I do have a few of their other products on some of my computers, but I don't use them so again, I can't comment on them.

Like so much of the software I use to do what I do, I use it all in very specific ways and limited ways and in many cases don't even touch the vast majority of it's capabilities. BB is a prime example. I use it to compose and write. I rarely ever use the ACW or so many of it's other features. I enter the chords, select a style and proceed to write the song. It's essentially my scratch pad replacing the old pan and paper I used to use.

This is also true of the NCH software. I don't use a function just because it's there. I use it only if I need it.

Hope that helps and answered your questions.

www.herbhartley.com

L
Expert
Expert
L
Thanks. It's easy to get sidetracked with all the toys. I understand exactly where you're coming from. Right now, I'm having to be very focused as I have a solo live show on Saturday and it's my first time using BIAB rather than just rendered files. Also, it's quite different going back to live after several months of internet shows.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use Audacity as a final step even after a Pro Tools mix. I snip the head and tail and adjust the level using the amplify effect, don't forget to check the box to allow clipping, you won't hear distortion.

Last edited by Will Rockwell; 02/27/16 03:17 AM.

ProTools 12, Faderport 8, Melodyne, JBL monitors, Novation UltraNova, Yamaha MX49, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Rickenbacker 12, Ovation 12, Vox VT20X amp
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,529
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200