Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
JEL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Possible bug in Band-in-a-Box 2016 Build 431 update

I just installed update #431 and the install/download manager will not open.

When I click "Run download/install manager now" (in help/utilities) Windows7 (x64 home premium) instead opens my smartphone-manager software !!? (I have a Sony android, so the software that opens is called "Sony PC companion")

Very odd I think smile

Veteran
Veteran
Jel
When you install the 431 upgrade patch, it may be simpler than the method you are currently using.

Download the self extracting upgrade from the PG Music Website

After you download, just double-click on the file to run it. It should perform the upgrade for you, without the need for the download manager.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
JEL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Jel
When you install the 431 upgrade patch, it may be simpler than the method you are currently using.

Download the self extracting upgrade from the PG Music Website

After you download, just double-click on the file to run it. It should perform the upgrade for you, without the need for the download manager.

That's how I installed patch 431 smile
(manual download and manual installation)

It was after I had installed the patch that I tried to run the built-in download manager and got this strange behavior.

Veteran
Veteran
OK. Are you running BiaB as Administrator (2)?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-01-29_14-40-18.jpg (77.5 KB, 244 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
What happens if you run it directly from disk:

C:\bb\Data\DownloadManager\

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-02-02_22-47-54.jpg (80.72 KB, 240 downloads)

J
JEL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
OK. Are you running BiaB as Administrator (2)?

I have just tried that, and the result is the same (download-manager does not open, but Sony's PC-companion opens instead)
So no change between running as admin or the normal way.

What happens if you run it directly from disk

I can run download-manager when going via the folder you show.
Here I also tried running it both as admin and the normal way, and it behaves the same way in both situations.

So running it directly works.

However, I now discovered another odd issue:

In the download-manager it says "Realtracks Sets 228-232" is NOT installed.

I then tried to re-install it from my previous download, the install-procedure completes with no error-messages, but when I re-open download-manager it still says it is not installed.

I then ran download-manager as admin, let it download and install "Realtracks Sets 228-232" (I did that because I thought perhaps it had been updated or changed from the version I originally downloaded in december), which seems to complete without error and ends with download-manager saying the "Realtracks Sets 228-232" is installed.

When I close and then re-open download-manager it once again says the realtracks 228-232 is not installed.

So I'm definitely having some weird issues here.

In BIAB-about it says:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2016 (431)
Activated.

And when I click "check for updates" it says it's up to date.

(I usually love a good mystery, just not BIAB-related ones wink )

Last edited by JEL; 02/04/16 04:38 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
This is really odd, because I presume the BiaB Menu item calls the Download Manager through a ShellExecute, callback function or similar.

So how does this get confused and launch an entirely different application?

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
but Sony's PC-companion opens instead

huh?
Kill it with fire, it's the only way
(do at your own risk)
smile
/* I have not trusted Sony for years; why would PG ownload manager open a Sony app? */

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Rharv's just joking of course. He does that sometimes.

On a serious note, did you consider taking you computer to an exorcist? wink

J
JEL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
It may be unfounded speculation, but I do speculate that Microsoft are trying to cripple windows7 to 'force' users to update to win10.

Basically, since win10 was launched late 2015, win7 has begun to behave less stable for every update they've sent out.

I don't know if Microsoft may in fact be that sinister a company, or if this is an unlikely coincidence that just happened anyway.

At any rate, I'm no closer to a solution regarding this BIAB issue I have.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JEL
It may be unfounded speculation, ----

I don't know if Microsoft may in fact be that sinister a company,

PLUS 1 on that!
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
Try this
Cold start the computer (to make sure there are no legacy applications running)
Start Task Manager
Check and make a note of everything that is running under the Applications tab
Start BiaB
Check that Band-in-a-Box is showing as an application, and no other new applications have appeared (1)
Select the Processes Tab, check that BBW.exe is in the list.
Check that Sony PC companion is not running as an Application or any "sony" type processes are shown in the Processes list.

From the BiaB Help drop-down menu, select Help > Utilities > Run Download/Install Manager Now

Use the default folder value that is recommended and press OK (2)

Check that the PG Music Download Manager is running under Applications, and that no other new Applications have started (3)

Check that downloadManager.exe and bbw.exe show up under processes. (4)

Please advise your results for each step.

2016-02-07_12-08-06.jpg (69.05 KB, 159 downloads)
2016-02-07_12-08-50.jpg (78.38 KB, 157 downloads)
2016-02-07_12-09-26.jpg (81 KB, 158 downloads)
2016-02-07_12-09-49.jpg (209.71 KB, 159 downloads)

J
JEL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Ok, I've tried that and here are the results:

When Sony PC-companion is NOT running, BIAB launches the download-manager correctly.

When Sony PC-companion IS running (in 'Processes', but not in 'Applications'), BIAB opens Sony PC-companion instead of the download-manager.

So the problem only exists when the Sony PC-companion is running in the background, but not when it's closed down completely. As soon as the PC-companion icon is visible in the task-bar, indicating it's running as a background-process, it somehow intercepts the request from BIAB and opens when it should have been the download-manager that opens.

The problem with the realtracks, that I can't get to indicate in download-manager as having been installed (it keeps saying it's not installed), persists. Download-manager installs it without indicating any error, and says it is installed until I close it and re-open it again.

Is there a way I can test if the realtracks are seen inside BIAB? If BIAB sees it, then it's not a major issue if download-manager does not.

Thanks for your time and suggestions, "Videotrack" smile

Veteran
Veteran
JEL, I think you should report this to PG Music support. I'm not suggesting that they can or will be able to fix it, because Sony is obviously running as a background process or service, and it might be intercepting Windows Messages. But they should know about it anyway.

The workaround is to launch the download manager manually as shown in an earlier post.

Good Luck!

J
JEL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
JEL, I think you should report this to PG Music support. I'm not suggesting that they can or will be able to fix it, because Sony is obviously running as a background process or service, and it might be intercepting Windows Messages. But they should know about it anyway.

The workaround is to launch the download manager manually as shown in an earlier post.

Good Luck!

Thank you smile
Luckily it's a minor issue that doesn't really affect the music-side of BIAB smile But strange nonetheless smile

Veteran
Veteran
This is why most musicians who use computers recommend you use a clean install of Windows and not use the corporate "bloat" that the PC manufacturers like to install.

I can't say this is definitely your problem but I've always either built my PC's myself or had a third party do it so I wind up with Windows direct from Microsoft. No Sony, HP, Acer, Lenovo, whatever bloat.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob's right. In the industry there are several types of 'wares'

- Hardware

- Firmware

- Software

- Vaporware (hasn't been developed yet, although they would have you believe otherwise)

- Bloatware (things you didn't ask for and don't want, but you get anyway)

J
JEL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Indeed smile
Somebody made a coding-error somewhere, since there's an obvious error happening.
Unfortunately I can't afford running more than one windows-machine, so I'm stuck with this one for now.

Veteran
Veteran
I've always used PC Decrapifier on a new PC to remove all the bloatware. You don't always get clean install disks with new computers, so this is the next best thing.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
J
JEL Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: jford
I've always used PC Decrapifier on a new PC to remove all the bloatware. You don't always get clean install disks with new computers, so this is the next best thing.

Indeed smile I don't have win7 disks, as the pc came pre-installed with it (a typical run-of-the-mill store-bought package-deal smile )

It does work well though. Except of course for this strange mix-up with BIAB and Sony PC-companion.

Thanks for all suggestions in this thread smile It's a puzzle, but I'll just live with it as it is for now.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199