You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#336156 - 02/11/16 05:42 PM [RealBand] Something weird with importing
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

I am trying to do a fade from one song to another, and I used to be able to do it, but now when I import that second file it always imports to track 1 no matter what I have selected. I did this MANY times in the past but in 2016 it seems to ALWAYS import on track 1 and erase what I have there. Am I doing to wrong? Did the software change? I tested it with an empty track WAY down the sheet and it still wrote over track 1. Yes, I could copy track one and paste it on another lower track so when I import it will overwrite track 1 and I won't lose anything, but just like the metronome question, I shouldn't have to dance like that. It always worked before. What changed?

#336328 - 02/12/16 04:01 PM [RealBand] Re: Something weird with importing [Re: eddie1261]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
I did that this last weekend. I have a song that's a 12 track midi file and 3 or 4 audio RT's. I created a merge to stereo file as a mix. I saved it to a directory and then imported it back to the same project so I could do some polishing on it as a stereo wave file. RB automatically put it on the next empty track which in my case was track 15 or something.

Describe exactly what happened starting with is this a new blank project or what? Are the first tracks BB tracks or not? Stuff like that. You're missing something obvious because I had no problem and I'm on 2016.

Bob

#336330 - 02/12/16 04:12 PM [RealBand] Re: Something weird with importing [Re: eddie1261]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Well, for me it imports to whatever track I have highlighted. If it is occupied it gets overwritten.
But it is not always on track 1, it's whatever track I have highlighted.

It should pop up and ask, if the track is occupied. Then again CTRL+Z undoes it quickly.
Either way it's two commands.

To be clear, I'm using Edit-Audio-Import Wave path

#336332 - 02/12/16 04:14 PM [RealBand] Re: Something weird with importing [Re: jazzmammal]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

I played 5 layers of horn parts in, then wanted to do a merge of an MP3 as the horn pads faded out and the percussion from the song started. No matter which track I had selected down the left side of the track screen, it imported and overwrote track 1. Today when I tried it, it worked fine.

I just don't get this software. Many things don't act the same from session to session. Like the metronome problem I posted here. Today, after doing the SAME THING for the 4th time, it works again.

#336337 - 02/12/16 05:00 PM [RealBand] Re: Something weird with importing [Re: eddie1261]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Funny, I didn't do anything other than agree to the import and it went to the next empty track.

Eddie, yes you can always undo if there's a screw up. Either up top under Edit the first item is Undo or like Bob said Ctl Z just like Word.

I don't think the software is inconsistent it's my brain that's inconsistent and I'm not kidding. There are so many things we can do with any DAW not just RB, that can tell the software to do something different than what you thought it should do. it's usually much later you realized what you did and you slap your head (or have another beer) and go "Oh, THAT's what happened".

THEN have another beer...

I'll finish with this: Close and reopen both Biab and RB frequently. When I was working on that file last week I was doing a ton of midi editing both on the Piano Roll and editing events from the F2 list. Suddenly I would make a change and realize it didn't take, or the cursor would jump to some random bar I wasn't working on. I would do it again and again no dice. THEN, I remembered my own mantra. CLOSE AND REOPEN THE PROGRAM. Then it's all good.

Bob

#336413 - 02/13/16 06:41 AM [RealBand] Re: Something weird with importing [Re: eddie1261]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
One thing with RB that you can actually see on disk;
When you are making edits, these edits are stored as temp files and kept track of during playback. It is not until you Save that they all get assembled together again.
So Saving often can work as well as Bob's open/close routine.

As you can imagine, after 100 edits, RB is trying to keep track of 100 temp files. Anything in the system could cause a hiccup with this. Saving clears the temp files and reassembles things. Anything from generate to regenerate to cut or copy is an edit that gets a temp file.
This is what allows the undo function.

To see this, check where your Temp Audio Directory is located. In the middle of a session, take a look at this directory to see all the edits being handled.
This is another reason to use a separate drive as the Temp Directory.
If you don't, by default I think it ends up in the Windows temp area with hundreds of other temp files. Maybe someone else can verify this.
I have mine set to its own disk with plenty of space for years now.

#336432 - 02/13/16 08:59 AM [RealBand] Re: Something weird with importing [Re: jazzmammal]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
THEN have another beer...

Do I HAVE to have beer? Man, it's been 22 years now. I'd hate to start up again....

PG Music News
National One-Hit Wonder Day!

Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!

Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Forum Stats
27992 Members
57 Forums
54094 Topics
446259 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
smokinhalfnote, snenamor, yes daddy music, grivers, mononino

27992 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 182