Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
...just in case you haven't already found this tool...

Not so long ago, I stumbled across a free little program that Microsoft created called SyncToy. It's perfect for backing up songs.

I use it to keep my 'BIAB songs' folder and my 'DAW songs' folder synchronised between my computer and my backup. The program only looks for files that have changed or are new and then copies them.

SyncToy (link)

I use the 'Echo' mode where the 'Left folder' is my computer and the 'Right folder' is my backup destination. I then click on 'Preview' to see what needs updating and then click 'Run' to update.

... quick and easy (and free) smile

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good find Noel, thanks!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like this. Thanks, Noel.

I've been able to compare and sync two directories for decades using a utility called Total Commander by Christian Ghistler. It was written as a free replacement for the old Norton Commander. Total Commander can still be free, but to get rid of the start screen, you buy a one-time license (I bought mine in 1997). http://www.ghisler.com/

However, the nice thing about SyncToy is its ability to save the names of common syncs you do. I have one for my BIAB original songs to my portable SSD drive; another to back up the entire My Documents folder; etc. So instead of having to navigate to each folder in Total Commander and then running the sync comparison command, I now just start SyncToy and click on the sync I want. Assuming the drive letter assignments remain the same, this is FAR easier than before.

In addition to Echo mode, you can run the sync both ways (Synchronize mode, or even just backwards (Contribute mode, in case there is something on the target drive you don't have on the source drive). You can also run a preview before you do the sync, or just go ahead and let it run. You can tell it to match content in addition to filename. Speed is very fast.

So, thank you Noel!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt, Trevor... glad the program is useful. It's impressed me, too, with just how easy it is to use and how effectively it does the job. 'Free' is also a great price!

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been using Sync Toy for years and highly recommend it.

After the initial run, it's quick and reliable.

Every night I back up with Sync Toy and Acronis just to be sure.

Before installing any software (including Band-in-a-Box which has never given me any installation troubles) I also run sync toy and make a new disk image with Acronis. This has saved my a** a few times.

Your computer is disposable but your data is priceless. Take care of it. Whether you use these programs or others, it's worth the time, money, and effort.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Does it work with win 8?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As it works for my Windows 10 (though it doesn't say that it will), it certainly should work with 8/8.1. It's free anyway so try it, Josie.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
)))
Before installing any software (including Band-in-a-Box which has never given me any installation troubles) I also run sync toy and make a new disk image with Acronis. This has saved my a** a few times.

Hi and thanks for the info Bob.

These are some very basic questions.... If I use Acronis image to backup my entire hard drive to an image, and then my hard drive fails, how do I get things running again?
- can an Acronis image boot from a usb hard drive? If it can, does Windows say invalid windows copy because it's a different drive? And then what? Do you need to take the PC into the shop to get a new C:\ drive from the Acronis image?

Peter

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use Macrium Reflect which essentially does the same job as Acronis (but in my view is far more intuitive to use and the better product).

The first thing that these imaging software products do is to allow you to create bootable 'rescue media' (either USB or CD/DVD) which is essentially a Windows Pre-Installation Environment (a minimal Win32 operating system with limited services, built on Windows, and all stored on the ISO bootable CD / USB drive).

Then you create your Backup Image - usually to a removable drive, and periodically you create subsequent Incremental / Differential backup images (these are essentially only files that have been created/changed since the main image was created). The software guides you through all of the required processes.

If you lose the entire system (e.g. head crash), simply install a new blank drive, then use the bootable ISO media you created earlier (you did create a bootable disk didn't you?), and this starts a basic O/S from which you can then restore from the Backup Image and then add the Incremental backups to restore the entire system. A visit to the PC doctor isn't required.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-02-17_18-10-29.jpg (104.27 KB, 39 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Acronis True Image does not invalidate Windows authorization when you install to a new drive, because Windows uses other factors to figure out authenticity. That being said, I have had a couple of programs that didn't like the new drive, but Windows was fine. I can't remember if it had an issue going from a spinning drive to an SSD drive, however, as that is viewed as a different technology (rather than just a different drive). But I've used Acronis for years with no problems.

I generally download the Linux based rescue disk which you just burn to a DVD. I launch Acronis from the DVD and it finds my attached backup USB drive and allows me to both backup and restore Windows.

You can also create the bootable media to USB drive as well.

I know others have used Macrium Reflect, which I've not used, but have heard good things about. And you can get Macrium Reflect Free, so the cost is right.

In fact, I've been thinking of trying that rather than upgrading my current version of Acronis.

Trevor, do you use the paid version or the free version of Macrium Reflect?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
Trevor, do you use the paid version or the free version of Macrium Reflect?

Hi John
I use the paid version (4 PC's version). Free is fantastic value, but doesn't include Incremental Imaging, File and Folder Backup, Item Level Recovery and a few other nice things I reckon I can use.

I always have the view that you get what you pay for, and at $70 for a single license, or only $140 for the 4 license system, it's the cheapest recovery insurance option I can get.

PS:
And remember, no one is immune. Everyone out there (yes, everyone) should expect a major data loss situation to affect them at some time. And do they want to start creating all of their songs and data files again, and lose all those photos downloaded from 7 previously owned mobile phones? </end-of-tiny-lecture>

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I keep all my user-created content on a separate partition from my OS partition. So (being somewhat old school) I use a batch file that uses the robocopy command to backup all my user content (it allows me to be very selective and using the mirror option, is very quick). I then use Acronis to create an image of my OS partition. I generally can get back up and running in the time it takes to restore the OS image and copy the data from backup.

I agree, worth the paid version for that kind of insurance.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I also should have mentioned that I don't only rely on Image Backups.

I use a product named "Synchronize-It". It backs up all individual files (e.g. all source-code files, all downloaded files, all installation files, all documents files), but not O/S images. These are backed up as individual files, not compressed or stored in save-sets.

And I backup to a number of removable drives which I continually rotate and store both locally and off-site. This is just standard practice for data security for my company.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
1) Yes, Acronis works with Win 8 and 8.1

2) If my hard drive fails, I use the rescue CD that I burned to boot the computer

3) I back up everything to an external drive. Rather than using those little USB things that always seem to eventually fail on me, I use a "toaster" drive.

The "Toaster" is a USB docking station for SATA computer drives - either desktop or laptop size. Plug them in, press the on/off button and they become an external drive. You can "Safely Remove" them like any flash or external drive from Windows, press the on/off button and put another drive in if you like.

The Desktop sized hard drives have a longer life span than the tiny ones and since they are basically in the "off" state until I need them, they should last a long time.

If the hard drive on my computer fails, I can put a new drive in, boot with the rescue disk, and restore the disk image from the external drive.

Since the Acronis Disk Image is supposed to be a clone of your hard drive, the OS plus all authorizations, including Windows should be OK.

This is what the 'toaster' drive looks like (with two different drives in the 'toaster'.

I used to use Norton Ghost until they discontinued it. It basically did the same thing as Acronis (create a disk image).

Back in the XP/Ghost era I bought a guitar pedal that came with a free, Cubase LE sequencer (demo-ware). I hadn't tried Cubase since it was first introduced. I didn't like it then, but wondered if the years and many updates turned it into something more to my liking, so I installed the LE edition.

The computer locked up during the install. Ctrl+Alt+Delete didn't work so I had to force the computer off with the power switch.

Every time after that when I turned the computer on, before Windows booted the DOS screen asked me if I wanted to continue the installation, which then opened Windows and in a few minutes locked the computer up again. Safe mode didn't help. Answering "No" produced the same results.

So I put in the Ghost rescue disk, booted to the D drive, and then restored the disk image I made right before Cubase. No problem. No repair shop needed.

I do admit I had some anxiety when it failed, and when the drive was restored, I breathed a big sigh of relief.

That was the worst problem solved by a disk image, and I've had other more minor problems solved.

I also make monthly disk images on other hard drives, and put them in a desk drawer (not connected until I need them). If I get a virus, I figure I could put an old disk image in the computer, then update the AV software, scan my synctoy backup and then if safe, return all my files to the older backup. I've never had to do that, but I think it should work.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have used Acronis for years and it has saved my butt a couple of times. It is relatively inexpensive insurance:

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

Upgrades are even less expensive.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,112
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185