Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#337192 02/18/16 02:56 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I may be the first one to record a song using the new BIB Surf Style. I was inspired by watching the Mavericks competition, and loaded the song with all the surf lingo it would stand. I listened to the great 60's surf instrumentals for inspiration, particularly Apache and Pipeline. I noticed that there is a fine line between Apache and the spaghetti western themes of Georgio Moroder. Overdubs are a couple of surf guitars and percussion. Lead vocal was done on a Panasonic tape recorder mic from the 1960's, heavily compressed through a Boss CS-3.

https://soundcloud.com/willrockwell/surfing-my-life-away

Surfing my Life Away

CFG(4)
CAmFGC (2) intro
CF Well I ain't no titan, just an average Joe
CG when the swell is rising I got to go
CAm Take my big gun out and put on a show
FGC surfing my life away

CF I get around, yeh I've seen it all
CG inside the barrel, over the falls,
CAm I'll be there when the ocean calls
FGC surfing my life away

Am I've seen all the breaks around the world
CG I've got my woodie and my surfer girl
EmDm I got no dough, but even so
FG I always find a way
FDm Hanging five I come alive
CG when you're crankin you hear no jive
CAm The noise all stops when you make that drop
FGC Surfing my life away
CFCG
CAmFCG solo
CFG(4)
CF I'm a junkyard dog on dawn patrol
CG when the grems get worked, I'm in control
CAm I was ten when I sold my soul
FGC surfing my life away

CF I'm still a barney on dry land
CG it never breaks the way I planned
CAm give me a set I can understand
FGC surfing my life away
CAmFGC(2)
CF a cleanup set is all I need
CG the ocean's mine, the waves are free
CAm that'll be enough for me
FGC surfing my life away
CFG(4)
****** Song Summary *************
Title: Surfing my Life Away
File:surf.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 140, Length (m:s)=3:59
16 bar intro, 121 bar chorus, from bar 17 to bar 137. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is RIDERS.STY (Riders - Fast Rock style)

RealTracks in song: 2576:Bass, Electric, SurfRockSyncVintage Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 2574:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm SurfRockBrent Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 2422:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm BoomChickaRootFiveBrent Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 2575:Guitar, Electric, BackgroundSoloist SurfRock16thsBrent Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 2575:Guitar, Electric, BackgroundSoloist SurfRock16thsBrent Ev 165
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

Last edited by Will Rockwell; 02/19/16 04:08 AM.

ProTools 12, Faderport 8, Melodyne, JBL monitors, Novation UltraNova, Yamaha MX49, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Rickenbacker 12, Ovation 12, Vox VT20X amp
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
LOL! Now that was fun! Some classic lines in there... smile

Cool arrangement and vocal. Great job on this Will.

Bob

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Cool stuff Will!! I particularly liked these lyrics:

CF I'm still a barney on dry land
CG it never breaks the way I planned
CAm give me a set I can understand
FGC surfing my life away

You had a little of the "Surfer Joe" vibe in this one. I grew up about 15 miles from Mavericks. Interestingly, I never heard of it until the 90's. It cannot be viewed from the coast highway-it's behind a large hill. I did a lot of body surfing/body boarding at the adjacent beach (where the waves are quite small but often tasty). Good stuff!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Nice job Will. This made me think back to the 60's beach music and movies of Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon..

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool stuff Will!!
You had a little of the "Surfer Joe" vibe in this one. I grew up about 15 miles from Mavericks. Interestingly, I never heard of it until the 90's. It cannot be viewed from the coast highway-it's behind a large hill. I did a lot of body surfing/body boarding at the adjacent beach (where the waves are quite small but often tasty). Good stuff!! Take care. Greg

I had forgotten about Surfer Joe, though the Joe mentioned in this song is a real surfer. I was at Mavericks last month, and watched the entire competition last week. I heard phrases like "barrel" and "over the falls" that inspired this song, assisted by a Google search for "surfing terms". It pretty much has every lyric and musical surfing cliche included. The guitar overdubs were played through my new Vox Valvetronix VT20X, a great new emulation amp with tubes.

ProTools 12, Faderport 8, Melodyne, JBL monitors, Novation UltraNova, Yamaha MX49, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Rickenbacker 12, Ovation 12, Vox VT20X amp
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Will !

I love everything about
this production !

Just great !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Nice song well producted.
I like the guitar tone in it.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"a cleanup set is all I need
he ocean's mine, the waves are free
that'll be enough for me
surfing my life away"

That's a great summation of the times.

You nailed the vibe. I listened to a ton of that
music in high school -- early sixties. Even did
a little surfing -- and on the Gulf it was a little
surfing for sure.

Lot of memories listening to this. Thank you
for them. Cool period song!!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Glad to see commitment to classic microphone technology. wink

As Bob said, fun listen!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hello, Will

Beach Boys, Chantys, Surfaris, Ventures, Astronauts, tube Amp, spring reverb and tremolo gliss.
Oldies but Goodies. It’s much fun. I remember my childfood. Above Groupes are famous also in Japan.
Enjoyed the listen!

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Will, to this day I have not taken a surf board and hit the waves but I have done a lot of it in my mind. I grew up listening to the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean and the rest of the surfing music during the 60's. I'm glad that BIAB came out with this style and I am working on a song myself. You did a great job of capturing that sound (Pipeline) in the intro and your vocals and lyrics put me back to that time. I enjoyed what you did.
Sonny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is totally gnarly brohemus. I'm gonna go grab my board shorts and meet you at Barney's Beanery man! I tell you brohescapade, this reminds me of college when my friends Jeff and Barry and me went surfing in a hurricane at Wrightville Beach and I cracked my long board when we landed on the rocks man. I tell you, there was ABSOLUTELY NO BEER INVOLVED. No way man.

Awesome tune!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,459
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195