Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#337529 02/21/16 10:29 AM
Off-Topic
W
Walther Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Since the last Windows10 update crashed my PC, I eventually installed Ubuntu and found substitutes for nearly every app I use, except of course BiaB.
I started experimenting with wine using the PlayOnLinux implementation.
Midi is working even in two alternativ solution, passing midi either via alsa to the Linux soft synth timidity, or, after post-installing DirectMusic using winetricks, also with the DXi-plugin Coyote.

Unfortunatelly RealTracks are not working. I suspect that the MME implementation in wine does not support multi-channel-mixing.
I also tried to install the wine asio driver wineasio.dll.so. It seems to be installed and registered correctly, but BiaB does not recognize it.
So I'm stuck and rather clueless now.

Is anybody out there who had more success with the combination BiaB/wine/Linux? I would appreciate gratefully any hint.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
When you mention "RealTracks are not working", can you be more specific? What part doesn't work? Are they not found, are the selectable - but no sound, etc?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I did find this article, which you may have already reviewed. Not sure if it helps.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
W
Walther Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the link. I already knew it and it describes how to play midi using Linux means alsa/timidity). But midi is uncritical since Coyote works as well, as I said above.

The problem is that RealTracks cannot be heard. When starting a song, I can see in the title bar that the Realstyles are retrieved correctly (from my external HD).
In mixed Midi/RealTracks styles only the midi part is then to be heard.

As far as I understood, both, soft synth output and RealTracks are routed to the same audio driver which is in my case MME.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback
And I have to presume that the program can find the RealTracks folder then OK? (but just in case)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-02-22_22-56-37.jpg (220.64 KB, 181 downloads)

Off-Topic
W
Walther Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I think so. I assigned the Drums and RealTracks folders manually in the respective settings. I can select a RealStyle for a song and when I press the play button, Biab starts generating the song without complaining, and I can see in the title bar the progress when Realtracks are retrieved. So yes, this seems to be configured correctly.

As far as I know, both, sound output from Coyote and ReaTracks sound are passed to the MME interface and then from MME down to the low level drivers, in my case either pulseaudio or alsa, whatever I configure in wine.

I wonder whether there is something special with RealTracks what the wine MME implementation cannot deal with. If I would know, I could perhaps ask the wine guys whether this could be fixed.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Google/bing playing WMA files in Linux and you will find a lot of people having problems. There are a few suggestions on how to get them to play that some people have had success.

I have dabbled in Linux but only for the Internet and Photography but never for music.

Good luck

PS - if you have already done this then sorry for the redundancy.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's something to try. Just do it with a couple of RT's to test it (this assumes that the issue is with WMA's). Maybe convert some of the RT WMAs to WAV files and see if that works, instead. My understanding is that the program will use a WMA file for the RT unless there is a WAV file present (much like what happens with the Audiophile version). Of course, the WAV file takes up much more space, but it's probably worth the short test to see if the problem is with the WMA files.

Just a thought.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
W
Walther Offline OP
OP Offline
W
cool Hey, thanks Mario and John, this has been the key hint.
In order to play WMA it is necessary to install Windows Media Player and the related Codecs within PlayOnLinux. That did the trick!

Now both, RT and Midi are working like a charm.

I will make a few more tests, e.g., to find out how to replace MME with ASIO, and whether everything else works fine.

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Some programs work well with wine and some Don't. BIAB does not work well on linux using wine. I've found that what works for me is to duel boot between Windows and Linux. Problem solved.

Off-Topic
W
Walther Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Sure, but I really want to get rid of Windows.
And now that sound is basically working I am rather confident that Biab will run sufficiently, at least for my purposes.
Can you please share your findings of shortcomings or what is not running?

Last edited by Walther; 02/25/16 12:32 AM.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Now you have it all working under Lin you should put a guide in the tips n tricks forum - see how it goes with real band as well and you can put them in winehq as it needs updating. The other thing is you can't use 64bit vst's but you can do without them.
I know others looking to make a jailbreak also and I hear reaper works well under wine. So it will be good to hear the results.

Off-Topic
W
Walther Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Yes, will do.
The wine appdb entry for BiaB is rather outdated (ends with BiaB 2009), I will post my findings also there. BTW: I installed version 2012.5, because this was the full version I purchased then. I start now to install the updates up to 2016.
I read somewhere, too, that 64bit apps seem to be problematic under wine. That is why I started out with a 32bit version of wine.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hope that when MS starts charging monthly for Win 10 that more companies start porting their programs over to Linux and that Linux becomes more popular. Also that Linux will become more user friendly also.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I hope that when MS starts charging monthly for Win 10 that more companies start porting their programs over to Linux and that Linux becomes more popular. Also that Linux will become more user friendly also.

We can all dream sir..... As much as I would like that to happen.... smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
J
J
I see that this is an old post. However, BnB and PT both are working fine on my install of Mint 17.3 (XFCE). Just install as normal using wine and then start Qsynth before you start BnB or PT. Point BnB to Qsynth for midi. The midi files will work fine using whatever soundfont you choose in Qsynth, but the "Realtracks" won't work. No loss as far as I am concerned. Actually an older version of BnB works better and is easier to use than the latest version.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"but the "Realtracks" won't work"

install Windows Media Player and the related Codecs
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=337948#Post337948

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jivy
Actually an older version of BnB works better and is easier to use than the latest version.

You didn't mention 'with fewer features as well'

Off-Topic
D
drm Offline
D
It seems to run easily with no fuss at all, using Oracle Vbox with a windows 10 guest.

Here's the recipe at a high level.

To set up the virtual machine:

1) install the oracle virtual box repository

2) install vbox,

3a) obtain a ready to go windows virtual machine,
or 3b) create a windows virtual machine and install windows 10

4) in settings, give it access to your home directory, or a subdirectory, unless you want to give a lot of disk space to the virtual machine

5) shutdown the virtual machine - from the windows menu, just like a real window machine.

4) download and install the guest extensions from the oracle vbox webesite (just click on the file, vbox will open and install it)

5) start your windows virtual machine

6) it should run the windows installer for the extensions cd image, if not then check the menus, there is an item to load the cd image.

7) restart the virtual machine -- from the windows menu!!

Setup BIAB

8) from the windows virtual machine, install you BIAB software just like you would on an actual windows machine.

And, voila, you should be ready to go.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
drm, welcome to the forums.

This is a useful and informative post. Perhaps you might consider adding it to the Tips and Tricks section of the forum?

Thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195