You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#136150 - 11/29/11 05:18 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb
rodin the Brave Offline

Hello,
I recently bought band in a box and the jazz realpack 1 and 2. I have to say it's abolutely amazing!! PG music has done a great job and i want to thank them for making this terrific software.

I have a technical question which is not about the software but my laptop hardware. My laptop runs BB just fine, but if i want to use it with other audio devices (such as my EWI usb) it says
"couldn't open the wave device. the likely cause is that another program is using the audio playback or left its drivers open." this makes sense because my ewi is using it. Is there a way to work around this problem. would buying a new usb sound card be a solution? or can i adjust some settings to fix it? (I have downloaded and installed the asio4all driver.)

any help is very appreciated.

rodin

Edited by rodin the Brave (11/29/11 05:37 AM)

#136151 - 11/29/11 05:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: rodin the Brave]
earl kirby Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Man, good luck with the ewi. I ordered one from Sweetwater a few months ago and couldn't get it to work with anything I had. Sent it back and they sent another figureing there was something wrong with the first unit. Well, long story short they got that one back to. Best reason I have found so far for using Sweetwater is the fact that they took them both back and refunded all $ except the shipping so I I didn't really loose anything but my time and the agravation of trying to make it work. Like I say, goodluck!

#136152 - 11/29/11 05:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: earl kirby]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Rodin, welcome to the forum.

You need to give us more information.

I assume you have BIAB version 2011.5, but if it is not, let us know.

Which of the two EWI models did you buy?

How are you using the EWI - what program is running? You should be able to just select it as an input device in the Options, MIDI Driver window, if you connected it via USB.

I'm guessing you selected ASIO as your BIAB audio output driver. In many cases, the MME will work better, and will avoid the ASIO-caused problem of not being able to open two programs that use ASIO to control the same soundcard.

But, we need to know more about your setup to help.
BIAB 2017 Audiophile. Software includes SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, & Encore on Windows 10 64-bit. Hardware includes custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20, TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch.

#136153 - 11/29/11 10:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: Matt Finley]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
There was a lot discussion in 2009 about using BIAB and an EWI USB together. From what I remember 99% of the people who couldn't it and one person did and didn't know how he did it! Just Google EWI USB/BIAB and there's a lot of info there. By the way I traded my EWI USB for an EWI 4000s for the versatility and no need to be tied to a computer as with the USB. Later, Ray

#136154 - 12/01/11 03:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: raymb1]
rodin the Brave Offline

Thanks for your replies.
To clarify some things.
- I use the latest BB version 2011.5
- I use the Garritan software which came with the Ewi usb.
Both programs work fine but if I open them together only the one I opened first will have “sound”.
The same thing occurs when I open two other programs that have sound, such as windows media player and the EWI (only the program that has started first will have sound.)
I checked Google but these questions are about how to use the ewi in BB. This is not what I’m looking for since I want to run the software separately. (Garritan for the EWI and BB for backing tracks)
Would buying an external sound card solve this problem?

Lots of thanks,
rodin

#136155 - 12/01/11 08:13 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: rodin the Brave]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I don’t believe you will be able to use the Garritan for the EWI and BiaB for the backing tracks as BiaB has only one midi port. Everything on the backing tracks will play using Garritan’s sounds, thus no piano, strings etc. You can set up Aria to receive some of the sounds by matching midi channels but only with BiaB using MME drivers and Aria using either MME or ASIO drivers. I use Biab in DAW mode with MME drivers in Sonar using ASIO drivers with no problems. Try either way and see what happens.

However I think a better way to do what you want to do is to use a sequencer. Have your tried RealBand? That has more than one midi port so it should work like you want. I use my EWI-USB Aria as a VSTi in Sonar with both using ASIO drivers. You are trying to use Aria as a VSTi right?

It also sounds like you are using your laptop’s soundcard. If so getting a new soundcard will really improve your sounds. Ask the guys and gals here what is the best, as I have no idea. I do not use laptop for music creation.

I hope this helps - MarioD

64 bit Win 10 - the latest BiaB and RB - I always get the updates - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#136156 - 12/02/11 12:13 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: MarioD]
dburns Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
You need a multi-client driver to run more than one audio app at the same time. That would allow you to run BB and Garritan simultaneously as stand-alone apps.

Sadly, ASIO4ALL will not run as a multi-client driver in Vista and Windows 7. And most (all?) on-board sound cards can't do it either.

Do a search for multi-client sound cards and you'll probably find what you need.

#136157 - 12/02/11 05:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: rodin the Brave]
pghboemike Offline
Expert

from the 2012 realband upgrade manual

Support for using ASIO with multiple programs at once

http://goo.gl/VdLxK

#136158 - 12/02/11 08:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: pghboemike]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
from the realband upgrade manual

Support for using ASIO with multiple programs at once. Previously, if you were using an ASIO driver
(so that you have low latency), you could only use ASIO with one program at a time. Now you can use
multiple programs at once with ASIO - for example RealBand and Band-in-a-Box at the same time. This
requires using the Steinberg® ASIO Multi-Client Wrapper, which you can download here:
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Hardware/ASIO_multiclient_driver/
To get this function working:
1. install the ASIO Multi-Client-Wrapper
2. Run the ASIO Multi Server, and select your ASIO Driver (e.g. ASIO4ALL). The ASIO Server is
a program located in “C:\Program Files (x86)\vidance\asiomulti\asioserver.exe”
3. Run RealBand, and choose Prefs-Audio-Driver Type ASIO, and then select ASIO Multi-Client
Wrapper” as your ASIO driver.
Note: that you may have to reboot your PC after you have installed any new ASIO Drivers.
The steps above need only be done once. The next time you run RealBand, things will already be setup.

This is the same stuff Mike posted above, but without clicking and going away. This, it seems, works with the NEW 2012 version.

PG Music News
RealBand 2017 Build 6 Update Available!

A new RealBand 2017 patch update is ready, and can be downloaded here: www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2017_6

Summary of Changes for Build 6 (Mar 27, 2017):
Fixed: RealTracks generation failed in certain cases with build 5, if using MME drivers and 'Output Always On' was selected.

What else was new in build 5?
Summary of Changes for Build 5 (released Mar 15, 2017):
Fixed: Improved support for the Vielklang VST instant harmonies plugin.
Added: Always on MME added (checkbox setting).
Added: Drag and drop from the drop station to VSTi plugins that support this, is now implemented
Added: In the PDF manual, clicking on the Bookmarks navigation pane, Table of Contents, or Index will jump to the corresponding page. (Note: To use the navigational elements, you need to open the PDF manual in Adobe Reader.)
Improved: Much faster initialization of accompaniment functions (e.g. StylePicker and RealTracks Picker).
Fixed: The time location of time-based VSTi plugins was being continually advanced when RB was stopped. This has been fixed so that the VSTi time location now gets set to RB's current time location when playback is not happening.

Endorsing Artist Terry Fernihough's Number One Hit!

Our newest Endorsing Artist Terry Fernihough is the writer of I'll Bring the Party, a number one hit on the Canadian National Aboriginal Countdown! Listen here...

Learn more about Terry here.

Review all our Endorsing Artists when you visit www.pgmusic.com/endorsers.php.

We Have A WINNER! The Band-in-a-Box® Giveaway Continues...

We're are excited to be offering a Band-in-a-Box® Giveaway from March 20, 2017 to April 9, 2017, with one Band-in-a-Box® EverythingPAK prize awarded each week!

Our first random draw for a winner took place today - there were more than 1,000 entries! Congratulations Doug!

There's still two more prizes to be won! Click here for your chance to win!

Contest rules

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Build 462 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows users can download the latest free patch update, Build 462, here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#462

Summary of changes:
Improved: Many electric guitar styles, when using the DI versions, would have very loud shots and holds. These are now balanced.
Fixed: Using CTRL+V to paste notes in the piano roll would cause the notes to be pasted twice.
Fixed: Some menu items were showing the wrong captions.
Fixed: Checking "Set Audio Master (Base) Tempo to" in the Import Audio File dialog was not working.
Fixed: It was not possible to specify a chorus when using the "L" code word in the chord sheet, because the second comma would trigger chord entry. (eg "L8,12,2").
Fixed: The font size for the large patches in the mixer would not change when resizing the window.

Band-in-a-Box® & RealBand 2017 한국어 버전 (Korean)

80가지 이상의 새로운 기능과 놀라운 콘텐츠 콜렉션을 추가했으며 새로운 내용에는 202가지 실제트랙, 34가지 미디 슈퍼트랙, 악기 연구, 12-키 실제트랙, Hi-Q 기타 노테이션, 재발견된 실제트랙/미디 슈퍼트랙 스타일, 새로운 신디사이저 (sforzando), 120 가지 이상 새로운 실제스타일을 포함합니다! 우리는 202 가지 새로운 실제트랙을 추가했으며, 과거의 101가지의 두 배입니다! 12-키 Hi-Q 기타 탭이 있는 새로운 악기 연구 세트가 있습니다. 이전의 일부 실제트랙은 정확도를 향상시키기 위해 다시 마스터되었습니다. 우리는 또한 새로운 RealTracks 및 Loops를 사용하는 120가지 이상의 새로운 실제스타일을 가지고 있습니다. 여기에 훌륭한 크루너 보사, 크루너 발라드, 브렌트/마이크 블루스, 하와이안, 멕시칸, 페루, 파워 트리오, 하우스, 힙합, 랩, 켈트 하프, 레트로 60년대 등 여러 가지를 포함합니다.

www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=win&lang=ko

Customers LOVE the Celtic Guitar Video Master Class Series!

The newest addition to our Master Class Series is the Celtic Guitar Video Master Class Series, featuring world-class Celtic guitarist (and RealTracks Artist) Quinn Bachand, and it's a HIT!

Watch the trailer: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=aNe-illEYf0

There are 3 volumes available, each about an hour long. Purchase each volume for $19, or grab all three for just $49! Quinn covers techniques, chord theory, voicings and walks you through 17 "must-know" tunes. This is for the beginner-advanced guitarist, and covers Celtic guitar styles (some folk and old-time covered as well).

Learn more about the Celtic Guitar Video Master Class Series: www.pgmusic.com/celticguitarmasterclass.htm

Mac users: www.pgmusic.com/celticguitarmasterclass.mac.htm

RealTracks Update for Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows!

If you're using Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows, check out the latest update patch we have just released for RealTracks! Patch info - click here.

This is a cumulative patch that includes updates for RealTracks released with Band-in-a-Box® 2017, and updates/additions to the Shots and Holds library.

If you only want the newest updates since the last patch issued Feb 23 2017, there's a smaller patch you can download here.

Summary of changes:
Fixed / Improved / Added - Entire Library of regular and Direct Input Shots and Holds has been re-tested, and there have been many fixes. This includes adding new Shots and Holds for instruments that previously didn't have them, reassigning instruments to more appropriate Shots and Holds, improving volume levels and offsets, and fixing some issues with incorrect chords.
Fixed - Many electric guitar styles, when using the DI versions, would have very loud shots and holds. These are now balanced.
Fixed - Notation for all songs from 'Artist Performance Set 3 - Celtic Fiddle Tunes' is much more accurate.
Fixed - Some Waltz style RealDrums were not playing correctly. The kick drum should always play before the snare.
Fixed - Endings for Piano, Acoustic, HeldChords 060
Fixed - Minor seventh chords on Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladClean Ev 085
Fixed - _SONGBRD style mistakenly had an extra acoustic guitar on the soloist track.
Fixed - Misc typos in the RealTracks Picker.

Forum Stats
25792 Members
49 Forums
44872 Topics
363696 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
Mar, Michael51, admin, ggplayer, ere4475

25792 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 265
jford 195