You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#136150 - 11/29/11 05:18 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb
rodin the Brave Offline

Hello,
I recently bought band in a box and the jazz realpack 1 and 2. I have to say it's abolutely amazing!! PG music has done a great job and i want to thank them for making this terrific software.

I have a technical question which is not about the software but my laptop hardware. My laptop runs BB just fine, but if i want to use it with other audio devices (such as my EWI usb) it says
"couldn't open the wave device. the likely cause is that another program is using the audio playback or left its drivers open." this makes sense because my ewi is using it. Is there a way to work around this problem. would buying a new usb sound card be a solution? or can i adjust some settings to fix it? (I have downloaded and installed the asio4all driver.)

any help is very appreciated.

rodin

Edited by rodin the Brave (11/29/11 05:37 AM)

#136151 - 11/29/11 05:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: rodin the Brave]
earl kirby Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Man, good luck with the ewi. I ordered one from Sweetwater a few months ago and couldn't get it to work with anything I had. Sent it back and they sent another figureing there was something wrong with the first unit. Well, long story short they got that one back to. Best reason I have found so far for using Sweetwater is the fact that they took them both back and refunded all $ except the shipping so I I didn't really loose anything but my time and the agravation of trying to make it work. Like I say, goodluck!

#136152 - 11/29/11 05:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: earl kirby]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Rodin, welcome to the forum.

You need to give us more information.

I assume you have BIAB version 2011.5, but if it is not, let us know.

Which of the two EWI models did you buy?

How are you using the EWI - what program is running? You should be able to just select it as an input device in the Options, MIDI Driver window, if you connected it via USB.

I'm guessing you selected ASIO as your BIAB audio output driver. In many cases, the MME will work better, and will avoid the ASIO-caused problem of not being able to open two programs that use ASIO to control the same soundcard.

But, we need to know more about your setup to help.
BIAB 2017 Audiophile. Software includes SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, & Encore on Windows 10 64-bit. Hardware includes custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20, TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch.

#136153 - 11/29/11 10:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: Matt Finley]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
There was a lot discussion in 2009 about using BIAB and an EWI USB together. From what I remember 99% of the people who couldn't it and one person did and didn't know how he did it! Just Google EWI USB/BIAB and there's a lot of info there. By the way I traded my EWI USB for an EWI 4000s for the versatility and no need to be tied to a computer as with the USB. Later, Ray

#136154 - 12/01/11 03:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: raymb1]
rodin the Brave Offline

Thanks for your replies.
To clarify some things.
- I use the latest BB version 2011.5
- I use the Garritan software which came with the Ewi usb.
Both programs work fine but if I open them together only the one I opened first will have “sound”.
The same thing occurs when I open two other programs that have sound, such as windows media player and the EWI (only the program that has started first will have sound.)
I checked Google but these questions are about how to use the ewi in BB. This is not what I’m looking for since I want to run the software separately. (Garritan for the EWI and BB for backing tracks)
Would buying an external sound card solve this problem?

Lots of thanks,
rodin

#136155 - 12/01/11 08:13 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: rodin the Brave]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I don’t believe you will be able to use the Garritan for the EWI and BiaB for the backing tracks as BiaB has only one midi port. Everything on the backing tracks will play using Garritan’s sounds, thus no piano, strings etc. You can set up Aria to receive some of the sounds by matching midi channels but only with BiaB using MME drivers and Aria using either MME or ASIO drivers. I use Biab in DAW mode with MME drivers in Sonar using ASIO drivers with no problems. Try either way and see what happens.

However I think a better way to do what you want to do is to use a sequencer. Have your tried RealBand? That has more than one midi port so it should work like you want. I use my EWI-USB Aria as a VSTi in Sonar with both using ASIO drivers. You are trying to use Aria as a VSTi right?

It also sounds like you are using your laptop’s soundcard. If so getting a new soundcard will really improve your sounds. Ask the guys and gals here what is the best, as I have no idea. I do not use laptop for music creation.

I hope this helps - MarioD

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#136156 - 12/02/11 12:13 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: MarioD]
dburns Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
You need a multi-client driver to run more than one audio app at the same time. That would allow you to run BB and Garritan simultaneously as stand-alone apps.

Sadly, ASIO4ALL will not run as a multi-client driver in Vista and Windows 7. And most (all?) on-board sound cards can't do it either.

Do a search for multi-client sound cards and you'll probably find what you need.

#136157 - 12/02/11 05:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: rodin the Brave]
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

from the 2012 realband upgrade manual

Support for using ASIO with multiple programs at once

http://goo.gl/VdLxK

#136158 - 12/02/11 08:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: laptop, Band in a box & ewi-usb [Re: pghboemike]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
from the realband upgrade manual

Support for using ASIO with multiple programs at once. Previously, if you were using an ASIO driver
(so that you have low latency), you could only use ASIO with one program at a time. Now you can use
multiple programs at once with ASIO - for example RealBand and Band-in-a-Box at the same time. This
requires using the Steinberg® ASIO Multi-Client Wrapper, which you can download here:
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Hardware/ASIO_multiclient_driver/
To get this function working:
1. install the ASIO Multi-Client-Wrapper
2. Run the ASIO Multi Server, and select your ASIO Driver (e.g. ASIO4ALL). The ASIO Server is
a program located in “C:\Program Files (x86)\vidance\asiomulti\asioserver.exe”
3. Run RealBand, and choose Prefs-Audio-Driver Type ASIO, and then select ASIO Multi-Client
Wrapper” as your ASIO driver.
Note: that you may have to reboot your PC after you have installed any new ASIO Drivers.
The steps above need only be done once. The next time you run RealBand, things will already be setup.

This is the same stuff Mike posted above, but without clicking and going away. This, it seems, works with the NEW 2012 version.

PG Music News
Mac Band-in-a-Box 2016 Patch Update - Build 161

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac users can download the latest patch here.

Summary of changes for Build 161:
Fixed: "[RT n/a]" would display for style long names if the style contained loops.
Fixed: _Loops and UserTracks would not display in the mixer.
Fixed: Drag and drop would fail for various RealTracks (eg. #518-#525, #680-#684, etc.). This bug only existed in the Japanese version.
Fixed: Newer styles would not have their names, descriptions, etc. translated from English. This bug only existed in localized versions.
Fixed: MIDI sustain pedal would not be shut off when stopping song or hitting Panic button.
Fixed: "Individual MIDI Tracks" in the Render dialog did not work.
Fixed: The style memo would display "RT2995" for tracks that contained loops.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash if user clicks on any of the main menus while booting up
Fixed: The 'F3' hot key symbol did not display in some popup menus.
Fixed: For some cases of opening or saving a file (eg choosing VST plugins), the file dialog would not open in the right directory.
Fixed: Audio Unit plugins would be erased from the exclude list while booting up Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: Plugins on the Thru track should not be removed when loading a style or song.
Fixed: Options > Return to Factory Settings... would cause various problems (eg. the chord sheet would be squished to the left).

Save On Mac Xtra Styles PAK 3 Bundles - 1 Week Left!

There's just one more week to save on Xtra Styles PAK 3 bundles for your Band-in-a-Box®!

Xtra Styles PAK 3 includes 160 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Americana! These new Xtra Styles use recently implemented RealDrums features in Band-in-a-Box 2017 - like half-time/double-time mode and Multi-Drums. Get all 4 volumes in the All Xtra Styles PAK 3 on sale for just $29 (Reg. $49) during our Xtra Styles Special!

If you are looking for more RealStyles, the complete set of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-3 (with all 485 RealStyles) is available for only $99 during our Xtra Styles special.

Special offers end July 31st!

Already purchased Xtra Styles PAK 3? Submit your original song to the Xtra Styles PAK 3 Contest for your chance to WIN a $150 USD coupon to use on your next PG Music Inc. product purchase.

Save On Windows Xtra Styles PAK 3 Bundles - 1 Week Left!

There's just one more week to save on Xtra Styles PAK 3 bundles for your Band-in-a-Box®!

Xtra Styles PAK 3 includes 160 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Americana! These new Xtra Styles use recently implemented RealDrums features in Band-in-a-Box 2017 - like half-time/double-time mode and Multi-Drums. Get all 4 volumes in the All Xtra Styles PAK 3 on sale for just $29 (Reg. $49) during our Xtra Styles Special!

If you are looking for more RealStyles, the complete set of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-3 (with all 485 RealStyles) is available for only $99 during our Xtra Styles special.

Special offers end July 31st!

Already purchased Xtra Styles PAK 3? Submit your original song to the Xtra Styles PAK 3 Contest for your chance to WIN a $150 USD coupon to use on your next PG Music Inc. product purchase.

Mac RealTracks Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac users can download the latest RealTracks patch here.

This patch includes RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks updates we have made since the previous March 22 patch. The files updated are largely those that were released with Band-in-a-Box® 2017, although there are updates to some earlier ones as well.

Added: Guitar, Nylon, Rhythm AndesHuayno Ev16 085 now has complete transcriptions added and can be viewed in the notation or lead sheet window.
Fixed: _BHALSA (Waltz) Style was not set to ¾ time, and now uses a more appropriate Bass
Fixed: _BLUESKY.STY mistakenly had drums in style.
Fixed: _CASUALE Style mistakenly included MIDI Guitar and Strings tracks.
Fixed: _RAMPART Style Demo mistakenly had the Master Volume turned way up.
Fixed: =JOLEO_B did not allow user volume changes
Fixed: Bass, Electric, RockPickedA-B Ev 165 and RT 2589 Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPickedA-B Ev 165 had timing issues with some of the riffs.
Fixed: Charango, Rhythm AndesHuayno Ev16 085 was not playing sus chords.
Fixed: Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzRock16thsJon Ev16 090 and RT2605 Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzRockShuffleJon Sw 130 now have Hi-Q transcriptions. Now when the tablature or notation is viewed it will be more accurate and include bends, slides and other improvements.
Fixed: Loop file 'Trance - kit3beat135b ev16 tempo' was missing.
Fixed: NashvilleBrushesEasyBluegrass had the wrong audition demos.
Fixed: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm TrainBeatMike12-key Ev 16 090 was playing some slash chords.
Fixed: RealTracks Audition files for "Roadhouse" Resonator Guitar were mixed up.
Fixed: Some direct input files were mislabeled for the RealTracks style 'Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NewOrleansMardiGras Ev16 085'.
Fixed: Some direct input files were missing for the RealTracks style 'Guitar, Electric, Soloist GypsyClassicQuinn Sw 220'.
Fixed: Some small memo typos Fixed including _RESFOLK* _RESWALZ* _BLUESKY*
Fixed: Some style mistakenly specified held chords for tracks. E.G. _NOCARES, _SONGBRD, _SOULPOP, _DAYSEND, _CARRYON
Fixed: The endings were not working properly in the A substyle for two variations in the RealDrums DrivingPop8ths^.
Fixed: The notation subdivision for the RealStyle _ASTRAL.STY was previously incorrect, and has been Fixed.
Fixed: The RealTrack that use Shots and Holds 345 were playing some incorrect chords
Improved: Over 90 RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks have had the option for a 'Simple' arrangement Added. Now these RealTracks will play without embellishment when the Simple option is selected in the RealTracks picker.
Improved: More than 20 RealTracks now have Transcriptions enabled and the Simple option available.
Improved: Pianohld.sty has been improved, with better voice leading for the held piano.

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows - Build 467 Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows customers can install the latest patch update (Build 467) here.

Added: Several requested 'genre' user categories in the StylePicker.
Changed: "Tempo/Pitch Stretching Quality" now defaults to medium instead of low.
Fixed: "No Loop (WAV) chosen for this track" would display for some tracks in the Create Multi-Drums dialog.
Fixed: An "out of memory" error would occur in very long songs with lots of RealTracks. Some tracks would be silent when this happened. This might still happen, but the song size limit has doubled.
Fixed: Booting up Band-in-a-Box by double-clicking on a song file would cause any song-based RealTracks to be removed.
Fixed: Drag and drop would not extract the selected region on the chord sheet.
Fixed: If there were any style changes in a song, the Bar Settings layer would display "Style changes" on any bar that had any other type of changes (eg tempo, volume).
Fixed: Sometimes RealTracks would play a dominant 7th chord for plain major triad song chords.
Fixed: The Event List editor window would only work for the Melody or Soloist tracks.
Improved: Elastique has been updated from version 3.1.8 to 3.1.11.

Windows RealTracks Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks patch here.

This patch includes RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks updates we have made since the previous March 22 patch. The files updated are largely those that were released with Band-in-a-Box® 2017, although there are updates to some earlier ones as well.

Summary of changes:
Added: Guitar, Nylon, Rhythm AndesHuayno Ev16 085 now has complete transcriptions Added and can be viewed in the notation or lead sheet window.
Fixed: _BHALSA (Waltz) Style was not set to ¾ time, and now uses a more appropriate Bass
Fixed: _BLUESKY.STY mistakenly had drums in style.
Fixed: _CASUALE Style mistakenly included MIDI Guitar and Strings tracks.
Fixed: _RAMPART Style Demo mistakenly had the Master Volume turned way up.
Fixed: =JOLEO_B did not allow user volume changes
Fixed: Bass, Electric, RockPickedA-B Ev 165 and RT 2589 Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPickedA-B Ev 165 had timing issues with some of the riffs.
Fixed: Charango, Rhythm AndesHuayno Ev16 085 was not playing sus chords.
Fixed: Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzRock16thsJon Ev16 090 and RT2605 Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzRockShuffleJon Sw 130 now have Hi-Q transcriptions. Now when the tablature or notation is viewed it will be more accurate and include bends, slides and other improvements.
Fixed: Loop file 'Trance - kit3beat135b ev16 tempo' was missing.
Fixed: NashvilleBrushesEasyBluegrass had the wrong audition demos.
Fixed: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm TrainBeatMike12-key Ev 16 090 was playing some slash chords.
Fixed: RealTracks Audition files for "Roadhouse" Resonator Guitar were mixed up.
Fixed: Some direct input files were mislabeled for the RealTracks style 'Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NewOrleansMardiGras Ev16 085'.
Fixed: Some direct input files were missing for the RealTracks style 'Guitar, Electric, Soloist GypsyClassicQuinn Sw 220'.
Fixed: Some small memo typos Fixed including _RESFOLK* _RESWALZ* _BLUESKY*
Fixed: Some style mistakenly specified held chords for tracks. E.G. _NOCARES, _SONGBRD, _SOULPOP, _DAYSEND, _CARRYON
Fixed: The endings were not working properly in the A substyle for two variations in the RealDrums DrivingPop8ths^.
Fixed: The notation subdivision for the RealStyle _ASTRAL.STY was previously incorrect, and has been Fixed.
Fixed: The RealTrack that use Shots and Holds 345 were playing some incorrect chords
Improved: Over 90 RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks have had the option for a 'Simple' arrangement Added. Now these RealTracks will play without embellishment when the Simple option is selected in the RealTracks picker.
Improved: More than 20 RealTracks now have Transcriptions enabled and the Simple option available.
Improved: Pianohld.sty has been improved, with better voice leading for the held piano.

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac - Build 180 Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac customers can install the latest patch update (Build 180) here.

Added: Several requested 'genre' user categories in the StylePicker.
Added: Web links have been added to the Help menu.
Changed: "Tempo/Pitch Stretching Quality" now defaults to medium instead of low.
Fixed: "Save all tracks as M4A file..." was missing from the Master context menu.
Fixed: Drag and drop would fail if the song title contained a period (eg "Up with the Trees - BGRock.Sty Demo").
Fixed: Drag and drop would fail if the song title contained invalid file name characters (eg slashes).
Fixed: For localized versions, the long style name would be wrong on the main screen.
Fixed: If a flash message was showing, copy/cut/paste commands would not work in dialogs.
Fixed: If there were any style changes in a song, the Bar Settings layer would display "Style changes" on any bar that had any other type of changes (eg tempo, volume).
Fixed: New lines for sections on the chord sheet was not allowed when the song had repeats.
Fixed: Some hints in the Chord Builder were not showing transposed notes, and a % symbol was showing instead.
Fixed: Sometimes RealTracks would play a dominant 7th chord for plain major triad song chords.
Fixed: The Chord Builder would not update to the current bar/beat when re-opening the window.
Fixed: The Play-Loop button (in normal screen mode) was not displaying a check mark.
Fixed: The Play-Loop popup menu was all blank.
Fixed: The popup menus in the Chord Builder were not showing any chord descriptions.
Fixed: The right arrow key would not work in the chord sheet during playback if "MIDI Keyboard Wizard Enabled" was enabled.
Improved: Elastique has been updated from version 3.1.8 to 3.1.11.
Updated: Activation dialog has been improved.

Forum Stats
26219 Members
50 Forums
46693 Topics
380048 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
Yimyai, Grazer01, mag5049, tommypedalsteel, Joserra

26219 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 145
VideoTrack 134