Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
S
OP Offline
S
Hello from france

I wrote a song using 925 piano
Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 110
Medium-Slow Bossa played on acoustic piano with a light touch, utilizing sophisticated voicings.

The song is written in G
The singer ask me do transpose it 3 half step up, which I did, but then the arrangement of the piano is totally different and didn't fit with my melody anymore.
Is there a way to transpose the song keepin the same piano part ?
Thanks

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Did you Freeze the tracks before doing the transpose?

Band-in-a-Box PlusPAK Upgrade (2018) on Windows 10
Live instruments: Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Fender Mustang III v2.
Veteran
Veteran
Yup...every time you regenerate such as when a transpose is done, the parts will be similar but sometimes that ends up being different as well, from what you had gotten used to.

Since a rhythm piano isn't a lead, you might try freezing the other tracks if you like them and regen that piano part a few times. Listen to each new version and when you find one that you can work with, freeze it.

Normally, a rhythm part will work with just about any singer and any melody. Try the regen to get something that's close again.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Sucrepop, another possibility is to move the song to a DAW and transpose it there. If your DAW does not have a transpose feature then use the free Audacity program. Sometimes moving audio 3 half steps works but sometimes it adds artifacts. They only way to know is to try it.

A second possibility would be to use the MIDI transcript, if there is one, and save the MIDI version of the piano to a DAW. Then transpose everything in BiaB, copy all tracks but the piano track to the DAW then transpose the MIDI piano track. This is very easy to do in MIDI, just highlight the entire piano track and move the notes up 3 half steps.

Good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Or.... find the proper key that your singer needs first, and then start building the song.

That is the very first thing I do when I'm working with a singer, including myself. Once the key is good, then you start working on the tracks for the song....and they're all in the proper key to start with. No transposing needed.

Here's an example from my studio... I wrote this song and sang it in the key I needed. I approached a young lady to ask her to sing it.... I had to change the key for her. So naturally the song tracks were different. At some point, I was advised by a Nashville song screener to get a better singer with more emotion in her voice to present the song in it's best light.... so I did. Well, surprise, surprise, she couldn't sing it in the same key as the first singer so I couldn't use any of the musical tracks....She needed it about half a step different... Seriously? but yes, she insisted so here are the results.

First singer: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12024993

Second singer: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12024980

Note that the song tracks are similar but there is a difference. At first we tend to want to stick with the first one because we have gotten to know it and "it's the way the song is supposed to sound"..... but I have changed my POV on that many years back. If you did it one time and it was good, if you do it a second time.... this time you can make it better. And I prefer the second singer's version of this song now.

I no longer get concerned over any particular cool track..... but I have learned that if I hear something cool..... export it of freeze it before doing anything else.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all your answer.
@Tim Cook. No i didn't freeze the track

@Guitarhacker. I try to regenerate the piano part many times. It seems the part in G and the one in Bb are just totally different
As for you advice to record the song having the right key. Generally I can't because i don't know who will sing it in the end
The second version of Come & Go as my ^préférence, really good song by the way

@MarioD. I didn't try to transpose the part in G, 3 half step up will add artifact without doubt. I never use the midi transcript, 'i will see if there's one

Veteran
Veteran
I suspect the parts are different because for RealTracks, you get the riff that was recorded closest to the chord you want and the performer played something different when he hit that chord.

Simplistically, when the RealTracks were recorded (as I understand it), as with UserTracks, it was recorded with a specific chord progression. So if the RealTrack was recorded using D-G-A-D, then if you've got a song that goes C-F-G-C, the RT engine is going to transpose the RT D chord down to C, then the G chord down to F, but then use the G chord, since it's already there and doesn't need transposing, and then of course transposing the D back down to C for the last chord.

If you decide to transpose your piece to the key of A (resulting in A-D-E-A, then the RT engine is going to use the A it already has, use the D it already has, transpose the D to an E for the next chord, and then use the A it already has. Obviously the riffs are now going to be in a different order than originally recorded. I'm pretty sure there is more intelligence in it, but hopefully this helps explain why you get a completely different arrangement when you transpose the song.

If you use a MIDI style, however, it processes it completely differently based on key-agnostic patterns (since everything is mapped to a C7 chord in the first place), so it is easier to get similar results by regenerating.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195