J
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
J
Here is my list of suggestions to improve RealBand:

1) A much better system to control Audio Volume because:
a) recording mixer moves is clunky and inaccurate
b) when you draw volume changes as controllers in the Piano Roll view, you can't tell what you are drawing in relation to the waveform
c) it would be best to draw a volume envelope directly on the wave form, or in a separate window where you can see the waveform.

2) Standard Solo, Mute, Record buttons for each track.

3) When highlighting or selecting something in Track View, that same selection region should appear in other views, e.g., Piano Roll. Selecting a region in any view should appear in any other relevant view.

4) Make a better way to make sure NOTHING is selected. I discovered that you can move the mouse vertically in a spot to select a very small region, but I haven't found a way to deselect everything. Most programs have an easy way of doing that.

5) Sometimes it's hard to tell if a button is on or off. Change it so that it's more obvious what the status of a button is. I'm thinking particularly of the Snap, Solo and Lock buttons, but it should apply to any button status.

6) In the Mixer window, it should be obvious if an effect or effects is present under the FX button. Maybe have the FX button change color (a very obvious change) if effects are present.

7) In the mixer, the "all" button for Volume seems to keep the relative levels of different tracks as it increases or decreases volume. On the other hand, the Pan button automatically changes the pan of all tracks to whatever setting the All pan knob has. I don't know why you would ever want to do that.

8) Piano Roll horizontal zooming should center around Now Time.

9) There needs to be a <-- LEFT arrow for editing midi notes so that the end time of a note stays the same and you can change the start time, essentially doing the opposite of what the --> Right arrow now does. So there should be four arrows for midi editing:
<--left, -->right, double <----> and the vertical arrows for pitch.

10) In the Track view, Snap seems to be set to quarter notes. It would be nice if it could be set to any note value, or to measure.

Thanks,

John

RealBand Wishlist
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
4) Make a better way to make sure NOTHING is selected. I discovered that you can move the mouse vertically in a spot to select a very small region, but I haven't found a way to deselect everything. Most programs have an easy way of doing that.

Hit the ESC button

I agree with the better envelope issue, i would like something like Sonar uses.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand Wishlist
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
4) or alternatively, F7 then F8 in succession because the escape button does not work universally in all windows.

RealBand Wishlist
R
R
Although everyone can definitely benefit from Real band, it's greatest apeal is to a new audience (even a new market). I would love to see a simple "Song Wizard" dialogue that would enable the user to create, customize and use song templates. I have some great ideas about navigation and dialogue. To Whom can I submit a diagram along with splash screen sugggestion?
The over all idea is a single user dialogue that enables all of the basic song structure such as Key, tempo, length, form, and even select song sub-styles to be assigned. It would be great to have the Wizard save the Chords as a template also, The wizard would serve as a one stop for real band - In actuallity, this info would be given to the band mates in a real scenario - so this carries that idea forward. In other words this dilogue should be treated as...
"tell your band about your song..."

I can see this evolving to where you actually select the members of your band...
some really cool marketing could be done here...
I know I already have some favorites in BIAB 2009.5

maybe it's just me - but setting this up before you hit the "play" button makes sense to me
and enables an easy approach to the new customers...

Last edited by realtime; 10/02/09 04:06 AM.
RealBand Wishlist
R
R
Another thought especially for Rock, Blues and Pop Real tracks -
It would be nice to have the the track be able to render both with and without the effects (such as distortion).
this would enable the user to take the original (unnaffected) performance into the preferred DAW and utillize 3rd party amp simulation...
yep that's a good idea!

RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum, realtime

As I understand your first post, this would be too complicated for RB and would not add any value. BIAB is a great compositional tool and PG is also involved with something that seems to fit your wishes here - M$ SongSmith.

As to your second post, RB is a DAW. What's more - DIY. If you don't want the effects, simply render with no effects in the chain. If you want them, add to flavour...

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
RealBand Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I think that this is "just" another request for "real" Volume Envelopes and DRY RealTracks, Sam.

The Wishlist shows requests for dry RealDrums, too, as well as requests for the RealDrums to be broken out into dry multitracks...

Maybe in future there will be a version that includes that, likely for more money, like the current Audiophile version. Time will tell, I'm merely conjecturing here.

--Mac

RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
DRY? Hmm, yes, Mac - I think you're right.

Personally, I am quite happy with the RTs as they are but I can understand that somebody might want to remove the FX that they come with automatically. One or two of them sound just a little over-engineered.

Just a thought, as I don't have them, but aren't the audiophile versions dry?

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
RealBand Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

...One or two of them sound just a little over-engineered.

This type of thing is completely subjective. Might sound "over-engineered" in one setting, not so in another, might sound that way to different listeners regardless. Which is why some want the dry option. I think there is a need for both, as the new user or perhaps average user likely doesn't want to have to dig that deep into the inner workings of ambience, effects plugins and the like, but the experienced user and recordist is likely to be just the opposite case and wants the flexibility.

Quote:

Just a thought, as I don't have them, but aren't the audiophile versions dry?

No. They are identical to the compressed versions, matter of fact they are the root wav files that the compressed versions are made from. Ambience and all.

--Mac

RealBand Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
Totally agree - the heavy distortion makes many tracks unuseable. The effects are best saved for final mixing - give us clean tracks so we can decide how much distortionn etc fits a particular tune.

Visit our web site:
su4u.net
RealBand Wishlist
B
B
Add string quartet, in the style of 'Yesterday'. That would add a real touch of class to pop songs.

RealBand Wishlist
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Thanks LynB for the F7>F8 to Deselect solution.

Been trying the Escape key and like you said, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Also trying to click around outside the selected area is very hit and miss and usually results in another selection.
A universal 1 click Deselect for all windows would be GREAT!!!

PLEASE PG, it would make a great XMas gift for the next upgrade:)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,564
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200