Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Anyone have some insight in this? http://gostica.com/soul-science/440-hz-music-conspiracy-to-detune-us-from-natural-432-hz/

To my surprise, I can actually select 432 Hz in Vocaloid, but cannot find how to do it in BiaB...

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I really like my A-440

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I really like my A-440

Yes, all my life I have used that tuning. I know that some instrumentalists always tried to get a crispier tone and there are tunings even above 440 Hz.

Now it would be nice to actually compare the same tune played in the two tunings. In this case I don't want to have it done by my computer's math skills, but actually played it on instruments.

(Reasoning: Maybe the wood or metal of musical instruments resonates differently at the slightly lower tuning.)

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The entire universe is vibrating....

and yeah... I've heard this theory about how somewhere along the line, someone changed from the natural tuning of 432 to 440... it all music as I hear it and it all sounds good.

BTW: most synths will allow you to tune them to something other than A-440

Personally, I have nothing against A-440 or whatever frequency you want to call HOME.... but if we're working together on a project I will insist that everything be in tune with A-440. It's just how I roll.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know about what the article claims about violence. Not enough data and references - and it all seems to 'cosmic' to me.

On the other hand, I do know that the earth's magnetic field oscillates 9.6Hz and 432 is a multiple of 9.6 but 440 is not.

Many years ago I took my mother-in-law to a magnetic resonance "clinic", and it helped the symptoms of her Parkinson's disease.

There are many actual clinics using magnetic therapy, but this one was from a company seeking investments for a new, more powerful bed for FDA trials.

So under approval, he carefully documented everything and since he was looking for as many volunteers as possible, I figured what the heck, I may as well try them too.

I did some research at the National Institute of Health's pubmed site and found many published papers on the benefits of magnetic resonance therapy.

I had severe hereditary bursitis in my hip and arthritis in a finger that was due to a sports accident (basketball). I had minimized both about 90% with diet. To my surprise, the magnetic pulses took away the remaining 10%

I talked to the guy about it, and he said he uses square waves, north polarity at 9.6Hz and multiples of 9.6 but never exceeding 48Hz.

Since I took electronics in college, I asked a lot of questions and got more details about it as well.

I ended up buying a home unit on-line and still use it today. That arthritis in my little finger doesn't bother me on the guitar anymore. I still follow the diet as well. The combination of both has actually 'cured' me and I am no longer a candidate for hip replacement.

So as a multiple of 9.6Hz, that 432Hz just might be something.

Who knows?

Insights, incites, and musings by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Hi All

Hmm,
The criteria for tuning in midi spec is laid out in my Octave numbering post (down on page 3 now) .
See below

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=338513#Post338513

Have fun
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just tuned my guitar to 431.5 and when I hit the first note I fell into a worm hole and seem to be spinning in utter silence below infinity down into a bottomless black pit where I cannot see or hear anything. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I get out of this???

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I just tuned my guitar to 431.5 and when I hit the first note I fell into a worm hole and seem to be spinning in utter silence below infinity down into a bottomless black pit where I cannot see or hear anything. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I get out of this???

Just tune up to Open G and use a slide. You'll cruise right out of that hole.

Band-in-a-Box PlusPAK Upgrade (2018) on Windows 10
Live instruments: Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Fender Mustang III v2.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks man!! You saved me! The first person I saw on re-entry was a smiling Keith Richards with a Jack Daniels in his hand and he said:

"Blahh, woaal, geeeol, maa-ate, hellouah, mannnnaeuellll slumblueah."

Does anyone know what that means???

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I thought about it a bit more, and decided that my Yamaha C5 Grand also only likes A-440. It might be a bit difficult if the gang turns up for a jams and says "let's do it in A-432 today for a change" Whoa!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Thanks man!! You saved me! The first person I saw on re-entry was a smiling Keith Richards with a Jack Daniels in his hand and he said:

"Blahh, woaal, geeeol, maa-ate, hellouah, mannnnaeuellll slumblueah."

Does anyone know what that means???

"Blahh, woaal, geeeol, maa-ate, hellouah, mannnnaeuellll slumblueah.

will you tune up that damn guitar

You see I speak Stoneese!

Last edited by MarioD; 03/14/16 09:28 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That's good Mario, because he actually said it backwards in honor of George Martin.

wink

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
K
Journeyman
Journeyman
K
Ah yes, the famed Dr. Leonard Horowitz, author of 'Healing Codes for the Biological Apocalypse'. In his monumental, history-making, book the Horowitz/Puleo team reveals the original musical scale, a 3,000 year-old buried treasure encoded in the Bible, that leads to the discovery of encoded mathematical intelligence required for understanding how the human race, and planet earth, will be Divinely spared and inspired during this period of great tribulation and pandemic illness.

Since reading the book I continue to have a compelling yen to ride my guitar like a pogo stick while humming 'Oh Bury Me Not On The Lone Prairie', and all at the speed of 432 cycles per second. crazy

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank's guys.. A lot of interesting comment here... I just have some friends that swear to the 432 tuning, and says it makes a world of difference in they're well being.. They usually use some software and convert all they're music to this.. So I was just wondering if BiaB had any tuning dialog for this like I found in Vocaloid... How deep it works or how much it means for people in general, I have really no idea....

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
if in fact there is/was a conspiracy, I bet the illumiNAUGHTY were involved... (dey jes' so dang BAYud!)

;-)

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Interesting trivia about 440Hz and the common telephone dial tone.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
O-Scopes have come a long way since I was in college wink

I wonder if someone with perfect pitch (absolute pitch) can hear the difference?

I had a band-mate with absolute pitch and he said some notes sounded darker or brighter to him.

Notes

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The dialtone is by no means exact. There is a bandwidth in which the dialtone should be.

Made curious by the discussion I checked other sources and finally found a good summary on Wikipedia. The English text seems to be an abbreviated version of the German text.

English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch
German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammerton

In short the concert pitch travels all about from 409 to 461 Hz depending on instrument, time, and preference of conductor, instrumentalist, or singer.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi all
Just thought I would throw this in the pot before you all go off retuning your instruments..

Now I know why you can’t play along to commercial recordings of a big orchestra
Like the Philharmonic * *

Why are orchestras tuned differently?
In 1936 American Standards Association (and the International Organization for Standardization in 1955) accepted that A would be tuned at 440 Hz (or cycles per second). Yet despite the fact that a standard has been accepted, orchestras frequently deviate from this standard.
The San Francisco Symphony (reportedly) tunes to 441 or 442 Hz
The Boston Symphony Orchestra (reportedly) tunes to 444 Hz
The New York Philharmonic (reportedly) tunes to 443 Hz
and The Berlin Philharmonic (reportedly) tunes to 445 Hz
I know there's a tendency for some European countries to tune to 442 Hz and German orchestras are among others who tune to 445 Hz. But what makes an orchestra choose one of these numbers? Who makes the decision, the orchestra's leaders/committee or the conductor? What is the point of making this distinction? Why, after standardizing a tuning system, go to the trouble of changing it by so slight a degree?
(For the sake of this question, let's not take into account period instruments or ensembles which are famously tuned to anything from 415 Hz to 490 Hz)

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Mike, to partially answer your questions our piano tuner and I had a similar conversation on his last visit. Our upright piano is tuned to 432Hz. I asked him why and he said older upright pianos, ours is over 100 years old, sound warmer at 432Hz. Also it puts less tension on the strings and wooden parts. He said spinets and in house baby grands and grands sound better, a little brighter, at 440Hz. Symphonic orchestras like to tune at 442-444Hz because it is quite a bit brighter than 440Hz. Concert solo grands are usually tuned to 445 Hz or higher. This is the brightest a piano can be but it also puts more wear and tear on the wooden parts and there are a lot of string breaks when tuned that high. He said he keeps a tuning book on his clients so he knows how the piano should be tuned.

Thus the lower the Hz tuning the warmer and less wear and tear on the piano while higher Hz tuning the brighter the sound with the most wear and tear on the piano.

Note he said that he tunes the concert pianos at the local colleges either monthly or bi-monthly depending on the college.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200