Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#141048 - 12/15/11 12:00 PM Please post MIDI specific ideas here...
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

With each release, we add MIDI features, and then hear from people "how come you don't add many new MIDI features?" or "the MIDI features you added add aren't the ones I wanted.". For example, here are the MIDI features we added in 2012 http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=340615&an=0&page=0#Post340615

So please tell us, what MIDI features you want added to Band-in-a-Box that aren't already there.
Note that there is a separate thread for MIDI styles here http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=342843&an=0&page=0#Post342843 . We have made 2,000 MIDI styles, but are happy to make more if people can suggest styles for us to make (We don't want to make a Jazz37.sty that sounds like Jazz36.sty)

Post the ideas in this thread, or if you've already posted them somewhere else, just point to them in this thread. Or if you agree with another user's post, add a +1 to it in the reply.

#141049 - 12/15/11 12:44 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: PeterGannon]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, New York an...
I would like the option to increase the ticks per quarter note above the current 120, to as much as 960. This would allow me to edit note timing in the same numbering system that I use in SONAR and other software. In SONAR, this setting is on a per project basis, which would correspond to a per song basis for BIAB.

#141050 - 12/15/11 01:02 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: Matt Finley]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
+1, and would allow the resolution to match what I am doing in RealBand, as well.

#141051 - 12/15/11 01:06 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

Unless I've missed a setting, I noticed the other day that when I play/record my keyboard through the "thru" track, I can hear the changes I make with the modulation wheel while I'm playing. However, when I play back what I recorded, it did not capture the mod wheel changes. It would be nice to be able to do this, as the mod wheel can add some nice effects to the sound. If folks don't want this, it could of course be a recording option.

#141052 - 12/15/11 01:08 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: PeterGannon]
Brallan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Los Angeles, CA.
Peter:

Still no fix for the Conductor problem with input from midi keyboard (also doesn't work in RealBand). As it stands, it really makes repetitive exercise practicing difficult.

See Kent and our previous correspondence for details.

Thanks,
Brad

#141053 - 12/15/11 01:12 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

It's been mentioned many times, but it would be nice to be able to use many of the chords that folks have been asking for for a long time. It seems to me that since much of this is math, it should be easy to implement. Right off the bat, I'm thinking of:

dim - just the triad (root, flat 3rd, flat 5th)
dim7 - which is currently implemented as dim - allow us to distinguish between the dim triad and the dim7.
sus2 - this is different from the 2 chord, which adds a 2. The sus2 (like the sus4) would replace the 3rd with the 2nd and not play the 3rd at all.
a true "5" or power chord - too many of the styles play more than just the power chord (root and 5th), which conflicts with what's going on with the melody track

I don't know how any of this would work with RealTracks, but it would be great if we could at least start with MIDI.

Additionally, it would nice to be able to define your own chord that might not already be available (have a user chord list).

#141054 - 12/15/11 01:19 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

Best is to have 8th note chord resolution, but if we can't get 8th note resolution, it would be nice to allow BIAB to take a MIDI style and properly expand it (a la Bob Norton's expanded styles) so that you could use double bars to allow 8th notes (and with pushes, you would get partial 16th note resolution). This seems like a just a math problem to me - all notes defined in a style get rewritten as double their current resolution (quarter note becomes half note, half note becomes whole note), and then double the tempo.

Better yet, overlay a new chord grid that shows 8 slots per bar and displays the original tempo to avoid confusion. Just a thought that would make a lot of folks happy.

Addendum - with Elastique, this might could even work for RealTracks.

#141055 - 12/15/11 01:22 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

The MIDI embellisher feature allows you to choose either the melody or the soloist track. It would be nice to allow the embellisher to work on both tracks within the same song.

#141056 - 12/15/11 01:24 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

It would be nice to MIDI versions of the RealDrums (if that were available) that match the playing on the RealDrums. That way, styles can play the same rendition in MIDI or Real.

#141057 - 12/15/11 01:24 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

Allow proper timing parameters (in both BIAB and RB) to allow programs such as JamStix to work properly (in jam mode).

#141058 - 12/15/11 01:27 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

Melodist (and soloist and harmonist) need to have selection filters implemented similar to the other pickers to make it easier to select an appropriate one.

#141059 - 12/15/11 01:30 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

In the sequencer window, when you click the "Edit" button, add menu items to allow you to edit the particular channel in either piano roll or staff roll.

#141060 - 12/15/11 01:34 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
jford Offline
Veteran

Allow the various style picker choosers to preview the riffs of individual instruments (in stylepicker, in MIDITracks, in stylemaker, in hybrid stylemaker, in style wizard - did I miss any?

Especially with the new MIDITracks feature, this would allow previewing what a styles riff sounds like before committing to it.

#141061 - 12/15/11 01:52 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, New York an...
+1 to everything John said (whew, I'll jump in now before he posts more).

Can you give us some more specific parameters as to what is fair to ask for about "MIDI-specific ideas"? For example, could it mean anything about the 'core' of BIAB, like the 255-measure per-song limit? I don't want to rehash that if PG Music doesn't want that here.

#141062 - 12/15/11 02:04 PM Re: Please post MIDI specific ideas here... [Re: jford]
Cerio Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spain
Quote:

Allow the various style picker choosers to preview the riffs of individual instruments (in stylepicker, in MIDITracks, in stylemaker, in hybrid stylemaker, in style wizard - did I miss any?

Especially with the new MIDITracks feature, this would allow previewing what a styles riff sounds like before committing to it.

A big +1, specially regarding the new MIDITracks.

Edited by Cerio (12/16/11 03:56 AM)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows Update Patch Build 386

Download this Update Patch here.
Summary of Changes for Version 2014 Build 386 (Sept 30, 2014):

-Fixed: RealDrums dialog was showing an error message in build 385.
-Improved: Big Piano Window is now size-able. Drag the window to the height, width that you want. This can be useful, for example, when recording a YouTube video, match the size to the size of the piano to a video of a real piano, so that you set the same # of octaves to display - then match the width. There are also preset buttons for 40,40,75,100% of piano size in the big piano options dialog.
-Updated: RealTracks artist bio information updated (to fix outdated url's etc).
-Fixed: (Japanese and Chinese version only). Entry of title was sometimes opening a text entry IME dialog.

RealTracks Artist Jack Pearson Performs October 8th!

If you'd like to see Jack Pearson perform live, head to The Station Inn in Nashville, TN on October 8th! He takes the stage at 8pm.

Click here for venue information.

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Mac Review

For many years Band-in-a-Box 2014 has been my indispensable musical companion, whether I’m knocking up backing tracks for my solo gigs, creating professional-sounding background music for my documentaries, or just having fun. The 2014 makeover absolutely ticks every box and brings the abundant feature set under control. If making music brings joy to your life, Band-in-a-Box 2014 will make you even happier.
Keith White - Macworld Australia

Click here to read the review on Macworld.
Click here to read the PDF.

RealTracks Artist Gary Smulyan's Organ Quartet!

The Gary Smulyan Organ Quartet has a busy October coming up!
See if they're playing near you, visit http://garysmulyan.com and click on tour.

RealTracks Artist Phil Woods - October Performance!

Award-winning jazz saxophonist Phil Woods will perform in North Carolina on Tuesday, Oct. 14, at 7 p.m. at the Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts at Appalachian State University!

Click here for more information.

Video - Making a Song in Band-in-a-Box

New to Band-in-a-Box? Creating your first song is as easy as pressing play! To watch a step-by-step video tutorial on creating your own song, watch this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/PRSX_w3wNJs.

RealTracks Artist Kenny Barron - Oct & Nov Performances!

Kenny Barron will be performing in October and November! To see if there's a performance near you, head to: http://kennybarron.com/itinerary/

Forum Stats
22044 Members
38 Forums
30192 Topics
240497 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
ferty, aleenacutt, Bill McFadden, The Hobbit, WillyL

22043 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 124
Al-David 119