Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#144371 - 12/31/11 12:05 PM product comparisons
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
people sometimes compare RB to other DAW apps as though it is less capable. But in my quest to end up with one music app that I use for everything, RB is increasingly the one that never fails me.

For example, I recently bought BFD ECO based on Filketom's recommendation, and my son's good results with it. When I try to use it in Sonar 6.0, Sonar drops out after just a few notes. Even if I unload all other effects and soft synths, I can't get it to run in Sonar without dropouts.

In contrast, RB lets me use BFD ECO even when I have several other soft synths in use at the same time.

Speaking of which, the new ability to have multiple soft synths is very empowering. The ability to use BFD for drums, Garritan for orchestral instruments, SFZ+ for sound fonts and coyote forte or a hardware synth for the rest is the best of all worlds. No matter what sound I need, now it is possible.

True, Sonar 6 is several years old while RB2012 is PGMusic's latest offering... but to me the question is about what products to keep in the upgrade loop. Especially as I approach retirement ands the accompanying fixed income, that's a practical consideration.

From the standpoint of my own needs, 2012 marks the first year that RB does everything I want to do.
3) I agree that other factors beside those mentioned here also apply
4) I have no desire to fight. If my post came across that way, then you probably missed my point
5) Caveat Emptor

#144372 - 12/31/11 12:13 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: Pat Marr]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Quote:

Speaking of which, the new ability to have multiple soft synths is very empowering. The ability to use BFD for drums, Garritan for orchestral instruments, SFZ+ for sound fonts and coyote forte or a hardware synth for the rest is the best of all worlds. No matter what sound I need, now it is possible ...
From the standpoint of my own needs, 2012 marks the first year that RB does everything I want to do.

RB has allowed separate synths for at least 5 years now, probably closer to 10. It's new to BiaB though..

Edited by rharv (12/31/11 12:14 PM)

#144373 - 12/31/11 12:49 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: rharv]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Speaking of which, the new ability to have multiple soft synths is very empowering. The ability to use BFD for drums, Garritan for orchestral instruments, SFZ+ for sound fonts and coyote forte or a hardware synth for the rest is the best of all worlds. No matter what sound I need, now it is possible ...

RB has allowed separate synths for at least 5 years now, probably closer to 10. It's new to BiaB though..

My bad.
I didn't HAVE multiple soft synths until now, so I never noticed.
4) I have no desire to fight. If my post came across that way, then you probably missed my point
5) Caveat Emptor

#144374 - 12/31/11 01:04 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: Pat Marr]
rharv Offline
Veteran

It IS a cool feature. Having it in BiaB was a huge step forward.. I bet many more people notice it now.
I'd have to research how long RB has had it; I'm thinking since PT8 or so (before RB even became a program) so I guess RB always had it

Now that you've discovered it; have fun! It was very interesting to hear RB handled that particular synth better than Sonar. Due to the nature of forums, we often hear the synth problems instead of when RB is the solution.

#144375 - 12/31/11 01:11 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: rharv]
Larry Kehl Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New Mexico
Yea I was about to say RB has only been around since 2008 (?) so a most 5 years (rounding UP) but thought it might sound like I was trying to start a fight - I'm not!

Happy New Year
Larry

#144376 - 12/31/11 01:19 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: Larry Kehl]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Larry Kehl
I still use PT at one location, but usually have RB handy, so it gets blurred at times.
I consider them the same engine (RB and PT), so once I got to thinking about it I thought I better clarify.

Glad I did so you and I didn't come to blows over it ..
I like your sig, made me smile

Edited by rharv (12/31/11 01:24 PM)

#144377 - 01/01/12 10:32 AM Re: product comparisons [Re: rharv]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I like your sig, made me smile

+1

Josie

Josie-Youtube

Josie-Soundcloud

Josie & Bob on iTunes

#144378 - 01/02/12 04:55 AM Re: product comparisons [Re: Sundance]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

I love the concept of one software does it all, RB is as close as it gets if you want music made and mixed .

#144379 - 01/02/12 06:34 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: Tommyc]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I love the concept of one software does it all, RB is as close as it gets if you want music made and mixed .

Music making branches off in a bunch of different directions. Each person needs to decide for himself which software provides the most bang for the buck. Speaking for myself, I'm very happy with the suite of PG products. They provide more opportunities already than I have time to pursue. Between BIAB and RB, if they never released another version, I'd still be discovering features years from now. But they WILL keep improving both products, and that's why I'll keep upgrading THIS software, as long as I can afford to do so.

Regarding the dropouts I was getting from Sonar:
I went back and changed their audio settings to the same settings I use in RealBand, and it stopped dropping out. I mention this in fairness to Sonar, as turns out not to be a software problem but rather a stupid user problem. But I'm still not going to upgrade it anymore.
5) Caveat Emptor

#144380 - 01/02/12 08:32 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: Pat Marr]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I have Sonar X1 Essentials, nice. powerful, and useful, but I still use RB far more often.

I own Reaper 4.14, Nice Powerful, useful, I still use RB far more often.

I own Multitrackstudio, Nice, Powerful, super stable, and useful, i still use Rb more often.

The above three are all very good applications. MTS is one of the most stable,a nd simple productive DAW software packages i have ever touched. The problem is is does very little in the way of music creation, other than midi note addition thru piano roll or the like, and audio it is a very smooth audio auditor, but does not generate anything that even resembles a RT. If I created everything in BiaB, and did not have RB I would move it there more often than not.

Reaper is a deep powerful app, i love it's routing capability, and the light touch it has in it's footprint. It also is a dream to mix with, but guess what it does not generate a thing. Sure you can add midi notes, and record audio or add looped content, but so can almost any DAW software.

Sonar X1 is far more stable than i was led to believe, and is a very powerful app to mix audio, and process midi in. It is very familiar to me since i started in a Cakewalk app. Once again it does not generate files other than to build with midi, or record audio, and mix.

RB might not have every tool that these other apps have, or at least a few of them are not quite as sophisticated (yet), but it does generate, and it will build and work with midi, and you can record and edit audio, and you can do 99% of what you can do with the other apps. So why switch for just one or two features, that most likely have work arounds anyway. I just keep this updated and watch it grow.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 4 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Producer, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, clone jazz bass, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#144381 - 01/03/12 03:59 AM Re: product comparisons [Re: Robh]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

A craftsman needs good tools. If a person can afford all music apps, why on earth would he/she NOT have them all? They each bring something good to the mix.

My main point is that if you can only afford ONE... the question arises "which one?"

Each person has to answer that question according to his/her specific needs. MY needs are best met with the PGMusic suite... but I fully understand that many people rely heavily on specific features of other products. That doesn't mean they can't also own BIAB and RB to gain the benefits they provide too.
5) Caveat Emptor

#144382 - 01/03/12 04:26 AM Re: product comparisons [Re: Pat Marr]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

Biab/RB ! No one else even comes close !

#144383 - 01/03/12 04:32 AM Re: product comparisons [Re: Tommyc]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Biab/RB ! No one else even comes close !

BIRDS-OF-A-FEATHER-O-METER
0_________________/_100

5) Caveat Emptor

#144384 - 01/03/12 04:24 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: Pat Marr]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
BiaB/RB if only one! Heck I pretty much use it all the time anyway!
Toshiba dual core Win 7 4 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Producer, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, clone jazz bass, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#144385 - 01/03/12 05:29 PM Re: product comparisons [Re: Robh]
rharv Offline
Veteran

If I coud only choose one it would RB. Before Reaper, ProTools, Sonar, Biab, et al.

The generating possibilities far outweigh the options found in other DAWs that I don't get in RB. And the track count and flexibility makes it outweigh BiaB, so the choice would be easy here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Miles Black Performs Sunday!

Join Miles Black & Bob Murphy as they perform at Vancouver's Tom Lee Music on Sunday!
Click here for more information.

Band-in-a-Box... Share Your Song with Soundcloud!

Did you know that there are are a number of ways to share your Band-in-a-Box song? Not only can you print out your song in notation, you have the option of saving in a variety of MIDI and audio formats for playback from your computer or an audio CD. You can even upload your arrangement to Dropbox and Soundcloud!

Watch how easy it is to upload your Band-in-a-Box song to Soundcloud here.

Make sure to post a link to your song on our User Showcase Forum!

Purchase Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box!

To get the most out of Band-in-a-Box, we offer a huge selection of add-ons, including RealTracks and RealDrums!

With additional sets of MIDI SuperTracks, Styles, Soloists, Melodists, Essential Phrases & Riffs, Fakebooks, Video Tutorials and more, the possibilities are endless...
Add-ons for Windows
Add-ons for Mac

Hardware Purchase Options Available!

Check out our Hardware Section for great deals on products like the Roland SD-50, Roland MIDI Interface, Voice Live products and the TC Helicon Switch 3 Footswitch!

Chinese Simplified Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows Now Available!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2014 Chinese Language patch for Windows includes a PDF of the complete manual! Learn more...

RealTracks Artist Trevor Hutchinson - Lúnasa Tour Dates

Trevor Hutchinson is the bass player for the band Lúnasa, which has some October performances in Switzerland and December dates all over the USA!

For a complete list of their upcoming events head to http://www.lunasa.ie/lunasa-tourdates/.

RealTracks Artist Artist Rob McNelley - 2014 Album Credits

This year you'll find Rob McNelley's guitar playing on albums by Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, Bob Seger & More! Click here to see a full list of Rob's album credits.

If you're using some RealTracks by Rob McNelley in your Band-in-a-Box and RealBand creations, make sure to share your songs on our User Showcase Forum.

Forum Stats
22130 Members
37 Forums
30425 Topics
242905 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
Joa, mnopqr250290, gorepj, JimmieNot, bardy

22129 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 224
c_fogle 129