Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#346563 - 04/21/16 02:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: HearToLearn]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
First, thank you for your commentary on the song. It is SO helpful to not only have your thoughts on it, but the suggestions of what to try for ourselves. Awesome!

I was certain the song I referenced was NOT the song but I listened to it in it's entirety when in school. The best way I have been able to state it is, I don't like it, but I really appreciate what they did production wise. I will have to leave it at that.

I'm glad you brought up the idea of finding the pieces and using them. So many times I feel like "someone will know and think less of what I'm doing!" Then I remember, I'm not doing anything TOTALLY original anyway!

Last, I had never heard the song that inspired your production so it's a great day to have been introduced to another great song! All good things my friend!

I consider "Born To Run" one of the greatest records ever made. If I could have written "Thunder Road" and no other song the rest of my life, I could die happy...

#346565 - 04/21/16 02:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: Pat Marr]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I like this suggestion of using templates... especially for me, because unlike a lot of the people in this forum who have a very recognizable and signature style, playing cover songs has turned me into a chameleon.

I think once I get a few animated projects that are already in process out of the way, I'm going to take this idea and run with it... recording songs "in the style of" my favorite artists. In this case, the template won't be a single song, but rather it will be patterned after the artist's style.

Great idea, Floyd! Thanks for sharing your technique... and especially, thanks for making it interesting by turning it into a puzzle we had to think about before you revealed your answer. Seems like something a song writer might do... ;-)

Always keep in mind... the objective is NOT to make your song sound like whatever song you are using as a template, but for that template to take your song to a place you might not have otherwise gone... it helps to keep your productions "fresh"...

#346567 - 04/21/16 02:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: Charlie Fogle]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Pattern Productions (In the style of) has pretty much become my BIAB hobby and daily use of BIAB/RB. As you point out, I import a commercial release into my project and attempt to recreate it within BIAB/RB.

When I'm not doing Pattern Productions I download good acoustic covers of commercial releases (guitar and singer or piano and singer) from YouTube and Facebook and use BIAB/RB to turn them into full blown productions.

Former The Voice contestant James David Carter has a pretty extensive library of modern country. Joe Var Veri has a lot of Elvis covers and some other good covers as well. Mike Masse and Jeff Hall have a lot of high quality covers. You can have a lot of fun with the Jazz of Gina Cicilia.

Unique arrangements and varying tempo maps can be quite challenging and these are excellent learning tools for the day your cousin sends you an MP3 of his original hit he wrote and wants you to do a quality, free backing track for his demo.

That's a clever idea, Charlie....Great way to get good at the production end. I wish that we could here some of what you've done in that manner...

#346789 - 04/22/16 03:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: rayc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
The trumpet intro & 1st few words made me think of vintage Springsteen - from the gentler tracks on The Wild The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle.
Very cool song and had the trumpet been a sax I'd have been convinced it was Bruce.
Nuff said.

Thanks, Ray... actually, the trumpet was "ripped off" from the Born To Run era (Meeting Across The River).

#346790 - 04/22/16 03:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: Carolyne]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Carolyne
Beautiful production. The trumpet was an unexpected treat. I will say, the lyric, perfectly matched with the melody, and the timbre of your voice, made me incredibly sad. That said, is exactly what the blues, jazz torch, and country songs are suppose to do, evoke emotion; this one certainly does. Great song.
Peace,
-Carolyne

Thanks, Carolyne - nice things to say...

#346838 - 04/22/16 05:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: floyd jane]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I like this suggestion of using templates... especially for me, because unlike a lot of the people in this forum who have a very recognizable and signature style, playing cover songs has turned me into a chameleon.

I think once I get a few animated projects that are already in process out of the way, I'm going to take this idea and run with it... recording songs "in the style of" my favorite artists. In this case, the template won't be a single song, but rather it will be patterned after the artist's style.

Great idea, Floyd! Thanks for sharing your technique... and especially, thanks for making it interesting by turning it into a puzzle we had to think about before you revealed your answer. Seems like something a song writer might do... ;-)

Always keep in mind... the objective is NOT to make your song sound like whatever song you are using as a template, but for that template to take your song to a place you might not have otherwise gone... it helps to keep your productions "fresh"...

are you suggesting there's only one objective in song writing? I accept that as YOUR objective... but I won't know what my objective is until I start on the song. (Not trying to be a wise guy, but that observation surprised me more than a little) ;-)

#346873 - 04/23/16 01:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: floyd jane]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi floyd.

The first time I listened to this was almost immediately after you posted it.

You see, my alarm clock rings at 5:45 am and the first thing I do when I get up is to turn the computer on and find out who's posted songs overnight (I set my alarm to awaken a little earlier than I need to so that I have a bit of pre-workday PG Music forum time smile ). As you can see from the below time and date stamp in Australian Time East Standard time, you posted this song on Wednesday April 13 at 5:26 am (Australia and the US are a bit topsy-turvy when it comes to time difference). I listened to it around 5:50 am - just after Greg had commented.

My response at that time was (a) to double-check that the song was posted by you because it took me by surprise and (b) to realise that I would need a lot more time than 10 minutes to write about my listening experience.

It's now 10 days later and early in the evening of April 23.

The song is fantastic. Your arrangement is daring and very creative. By 'daring', I mean that it challenges what one has come to expect that a mainstream arrangement should sound like. In this regard, though, it is worth noting that all new developments in music began as something that someone dared to do that was different from what preceded. It was after these thoughts that the word “experimental” came to mind. A trumpet, piano and vocal trio that's held intact by a bass line gave me the impression of a musical tapestry. As I listened with eyes closed, it was like I could see threads of sound weaving a picture.

Your composing, performing, arranging and producing all work together to build a very emotive musical journey. For me, a feeling of loneliness and/or sadness or emptiness, pathos(?), were the emotions that underscored the lyrics and their accompaniment. To my way of thinking, the most important line in the song is “the little boy is an easy sell”. This line makes sense of the chorus. It also colours the rest of the song and paints a picture of a man who, in reality, is more boy than man. This is outstanding lyric development. In verse one, I met the man. In verse two, I stepped inside his head and I could see that while the mirror shows him to be a man, he is just a little boy who is floundering and trying to make sense of Life but he cannot let go of his world of dreams and wishes and fairytales. For him, Life is a storm from which he is continually seeking refuge. Once these images appeared to me, the lyrics became about the journey of wanting to grow up but not quite working out how to get there. These words strike me as being from the Impressionistic wing of the lyric-writing gallery. They are skilfully painted with a poignancy that resonates with craftsmanship. While I have zero ability when it comes to writing impressionistic lyrics, I admire the talent on show here. If you were born in Spain and it was 1900, your name would probably have been Pablo Picasso (I've most likely mixed metaphors here given that Picasso was post-impressionism... oh well, the comparison sounds valid and justified to me). You've done an absolutely incredible job.

My favourite... I love the flow of the rhymes time/behind/find in the bridge. They must feel really good to sing!

Well, floyd, you've given me yet another song-creation template but this one I have no idea how to use! (Well not yet at least.)

Thank you for the journey and for yet another dose of inspiration!
Noel

#347038 - 04/23/16 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: Pat Marr]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

are you suggesting there's only one objective in song writing? I accept that as YOUR objective... but I won't know what my objective is until I start on the song. (Not trying to be a wise guy, but that observation surprised me more than a little) ;-)

No...I was talking about production (or arrangement and instrumentation) ...not songwriting.

#347039 - 04/23/16 02:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: gruverider]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gruverider
Super job all around. It's nice to listen to a sparsely arranged song. I like your chord progression here. It takes the melody to places my ear can't anticipate and that keeps me engaged.

Great write!

Thanks, Lawrence. An interesting observation (a good one, I think...)

#347040 - 04/23/16 02:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: ROG]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

Not had chance to listen to the forum songs this week, so arriving a bit late to this one.

I listened to the Springsteen song, though the linked version appears to have been taken down. If that was the model, then you've achieved it one hundred percent.

This is a super production and SO well performed. Superb and very clever lyrics, apart from one line.

Going back to listen again.

ROG.

Thanks, ROG. I am wondering what the one line that didn't work for you was...

#347041 - 04/23/16 02:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: dani48]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !:))

Your best !
Simply outstanding
seen from any aspect !:))

I dig your vocal and you
know it, here the trumpets
and the piano sounded also
pretty mighty !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks you, Norman...

#347112 - 04/24/16 04:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"ghost of garbo"

That's all it took right from the get go to know that this
was a terrific write. The fj clinic in how to write a lyric
continues and this time we also get some cool insight as to
how the production came about. Somebody, perhaps
Peter, used the word sophisticated. Yep, it is - but
in a manner that also offers the listener easy entry into
the story. That is a great balance and one that I can
appreciate the finesse required to pull it off.

Super write, vocal and production by as Greg said
"a man who knows how to do it."

Thanks for the ride.

J&B

Y'all are so kind... smile

#347113 - 04/24/16 04:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: VideoTrack]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd

Another piece of genius. No surprise coming for you.

You have a sensational ability to make your songs sound effortless, when indeed they are the product of great thought, creativeness and always provided with technically challenging delivery.

Your phrasing is just perfect, your have enhanced the instrumentalist backing beyond where it could ever got on its own, and projected your songwriting skills to a new dimension (again).

Always enjoy your music.

Trevor

Thanks, Trevor. I always enjoy your reviews. Hoping to see more songs from you, more often...

#347167 - 04/24/16 01:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: Noel96]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd.

The first time I listened to this was almost immediately after you posted it.

You see, my alarm clock rings at 5:45 am and the first thing I do when I get up is to turn the computer on and find out who's posted songs overnight (I set my alarm to awaken a little earlier than I need to so that I have a bit of pre-workday PG Music forum time smile ). As you can see from the below time and date stamp in Australian Time East Standard time, you posted this song on Wednesday April 13 at 5:26 am (Australia and the US are a bit topsy-turvy when it comes to time difference). I listened to it around 5:50 am - just after Greg had commented.

My response at that time was (a) to double-check that the song was posted by you because it took me by surprise and (b) to realise that I would need a lot more time than 10 minutes to write about my listening experience.

It's now 10 days later and early in the evening of April 23.

The song is fantastic. Your arrangement is daring and very creative. By 'daring', I mean that it challenges what one has come to expect that a mainstream arrangement should sound like. In this regard, though, it is worth noting that all new developments in music began as something that someone dared to do that was different from what preceded. It was after these thoughts that the word “experimental” came to mind. A trumpet, piano and vocal trio that's held intact by a bass line gave me the impression of a musical tapestry. As I listened with eyes closed, it was like I could see threads of sound weaving a picture.

Your composing, performing, arranging and producing all work together to build a very emotive musical journey. For me, a feeling of loneliness and/or sadness or emptiness, pathos(?), were the emotions that underscored the lyrics and their accompaniment. To my way of thinking, the most important line in the song is “the little boy is an easy sell”. This line makes sense of the chorus. It also colours the rest of the song and paints a picture of a man who, in reality, is more boy than man. This is outstanding lyric development. In verse one, I met the man. In verse two, I stepped inside his head and I could see that while the mirror shows him to be a man, he is just a little boy who is floundering and trying to make sense of Life but he cannot let go of his world of dreams and wishes and fairytales. For him, Life is a storm from which he is continually seeking refuge. Once these images appeared to me, the lyrics became about the journey of wanting to grow up but not quite working out how to get there. These words strike me as being from the Impressionistic wing of the lyric-writing gallery. They are skilfully painted with a poignancy that resonates with craftsmanship. While I have zero ability when it comes to writing impressionistic lyrics, I admire the talent on show here. If you were born in Spain and it was 1900, your name would probably have been Pablo Picasso (I've most likely mixed metaphors here given that Picasso was post-impressionism... oh well, the comparison sounds valid and justified to me). You've done an absolutely incredible job.

My favourite... I love the flow of the rhymes time/behind/find in the bridge. They must feel really good to sing!

Well, floyd, you've given me yet another song-creation template but this one I have no idea how to use! (Well not yet at least.)

Thank you for the journey and for yet another dose of inspiration!
Noel

Noel - It is always such a joy to read your thoughts on a song. Songwriting is a very important thing to me - a very important part of my life - how I define myself - and I have "invested" many hours (many years) in perfecting the craft as best I can. The fact that you "get it" and understand so much of what goes into every word choice I make means SO much to me. I want you to know I TRULY appreciate it. One of the things that make it all worthwhile. Icing on the cake.

#348958 - 05/09/16 10:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Any Port In A Storm [Re: floyd jane]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Floyd, I think we all know where your REAL trumpet inspiration came from...

Floyd's Inspiration

I guess it's true, imitation is the greatest form of flattery. grin

(ok, before everyone gets me kicked from the forums, realize this...I had to hear the song in the vehicle with my kids...THEN make the effort to remember the name of the song...which my brain suppressed for obvious reasons...THEN do a search and listen to a few of his songs to find the one with the trumpet part. I think what I have done to myself FAR exceeds any punishment coming forth. Sentence served? wink )

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

PG Music News
Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

Forum Stats
27139 Members
49 Forums
50329 Topics
413063 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
smily, jeffkepner1, Robert Jordan, Hazyjames, Kozy

27138 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 252