#347604 04/28/16 12:04 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
I am back to using BIAB again after a long illness and tried to review various RealTrack Demo folders using the Juke Box and found that I was unable to add Solos to the Styles. The first Style in the set was OK but when the next was loaded, the Soloist was changed, but the actual style did not load properly with the result that only the Solo was played.

Has anyone else had this problem???

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Lyn:

I've tried to re-create your problem but we made need more detailed information from you as to the exact steps you are taking.

It seems like the Jukebox function works in any of the RealTrack Demo folders but only if you do a "pure" sequence of songs. That is, if you just navigate to the folder you want to try, then hit the Jukebox button, it will play the songs one after the other.

However, if you STOP the Jukebox to (say) add a Soloist RealTrack, you can't get the Jukebox to "resume" playing, even if you click on the "Next" arrow to the right of the Jukebox icon. In fact, I can't even get it to continue if I merely STOP a song, and then try to advance to the next one. It WILL advance to the next song with that button, if you click on it while a song is playing.

Perhaps that's how the Jukebox function is designed: to just play the songs within a folder.

If, as you stated, you are using the Jukebox to just REVIEW songs, it may be better to just do your review using the songs the way they are. Then if you find one you like, you can stop the Jukebox funtion, add a soloist and see if that meets your requirements.

I may be missing something here, so hopefully someone who is more familiar with the Jukebox will chime in.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
If you look at the display for the Jukebox you will see the option to add a solo - actually a Midi Solo and does not include RealtTracks. Why not????.

I find that the Jukebox does operate as you have stated, but if you check the Solo you will see the Solo selection Panel open with a selection already made - I have merely confirmed the selection. Now start the Jukebox and the first Style will play properly, but the following Styles load with the new Solo selected. Unfortunately, only the new Solo plays with no other instruments.

It is a long time since I used this feature, but I am sure it did work correctly at one time

Lloyds, will you please check this again, I do not want to inform PGM Support without reason.

LynB

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Lyn:

OK, I see what you're after now.
I checked the Help file for "Jukebox" and found this:

"Generate Solos: Set this option to "On" to permit the Soloist to play a solo over all the songs selected for Jukebox Playback."

Rather than using an existing folder of BIAB Demo songs, (too long for testing purposes), I just created 3 short, 8-bar songs, all with the same style, and put them into a new Jukebox Test folder.

1. Clicked on the Play Jukebox icon and enabled the Generate Solos box
2. Ensured that the Directory was set to the correct path for my new Test folder
3. Clicked on the PLAY JUKE BOX button which opens the Select Soloist window
4. Selected number 1 Bebop Saxaphone, left all other defaults, clicked OK
5. BIAB played all 3 songs (Test 01, Test 02, and Test 03) in my Test folder WITH the saxaphone soloist
6. It kept playing all 3 songs likewise so I must have a "continuous" or "loop" function set somewhere (checked - "Loop Jukebox at end" is enabled")

So far, so good.

- left the style for Test 01 set to ZZJAZZ
- set the style for Test 02 to ZZJAZZ2 - (it wouldn't "set" from the StylePicker window. I had to use the Open Style From Disc function). Saved the song.
- set the style for Test 03 to ZZOLCTRY - (this one worked with the StylePicker - strange!). Saved the song.

Repeated the steps above to play the 3 songs in the Jukebox.
It played the 3 test songs, with the 3 different styles, including ALL the instruments.

So we know that the Jukebox itself, functions as expected.
For your first question regarding "Solo RealTracks", when the Select Soloist window opens (Step 3. above), there's buttons near the top left: Best RealTracks, Fav, All RealTracks and Show All.

I clicked the Best RealTracks and got a list so I picked the first one (361), clicked OK and it takes me back to the Select Soloist window AND it highlights soloist 361, which was already in the list (I assumed it was a RealTrack).

I clicked OK and it generated a sax solo.

HOWEVER
- It only played Test 01 and would NOT play the others in the file
- Although it generated a SAX sols (RealTrack?), the button along the top next to Melody (which would normally be Soloist) says Vibes, in green, and underlined
- Similarly in the Mixer window, below Melody, it says Vibes in yellow and "361: Sax, Tenor, Jazz Sw 140 (Soloist)"

Soooo, I'm not sure if that's a RealTrack or not <grin>.
In any case, it appears all is not well with the Jukebox function, at least the way it handles a soloist.

I was hoping you would give us more specific info as to what songs you were trying from which folders so I could do an apples-to-apples comparison, but maybe this is enough fodder for you to take to PGMusic Support.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else.
Good luck!
LLOYD S

L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L

Thanks LLoyds,

I am using RealTacks19 Demo-JazzBallad for my testing and set the Juke-Box to play 8 bars only to speed up testing. I changed the the test folder to Melodist7Demos-Brazilian which is MIDI only and this worked perfectly.

It looks as though the Juke Box has not been upgraded for use with RealTracks.

Can you confirm??????

LynB

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
OK, I did some more investigating, using your supplied info.
Here's what I get:

- I opened BIAB 2016 (432) with a new, blank song
- Clicked the Jukebox button and set "Generate Solos" to ON
- Set the Preview to be 8 bars
- Navigated to the RealTracks19Demos folder and clicked Play Jukebox
- The "Select Soloist" window opens and a MIDI Soloist is selected (I suppose it's a "random" default as I tried it several times and they were always different). In this case, it selected 56 JPass Guitar.
- Clicked OK to start the Jukebox
- It generated the RealTracks and set the Soloist to be "Guitar_2" (shown in yellow) and then played 8 bars of the first song
- When it advanced to the subsequent songs, AS YOU FOUND OUT, it plays ONLY the soloist, and no other instruments

- I tried the same process, all other settings being the same, only this time in the "Select Soloist" window, I ignored the "default" selection, and instead, scrolled down and selected a RealTrack, 361 Sax Tenor (at least I assume it's a RT as it has a brown background).
- Clicked OK to start the Jukebox
- It again generated the RealTracks for all the instruments EXCEPT the Soloist, which it set to "Trumpet" shown in yellow.
- HOWEVER, when the generation was complete, the Soloist button changed to "Guitar_2" shown in green, and the Mixer window showed (for the Soloist), "Guitar_2" in yellow with the description "361:Sax, Tenor, Jazz Sw 140 (Soloist)"
- It actually played a Sax solo, and not a Guitar
- I tried this a number of times with similar results, sometimes the Jukebox wouldn't "advance" after 8 bars, despite being set to do that
- Sometimes the songs wouldn't Juke at all, it would just stop after the first song

All in all, I can confirm that the Jukebox DOES NOT work well when trying to use a RealTracks Soloist.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Thanks LLoyds for the comprehensive testing. I will send an Email to Support, although I don't expect a quick reply.

Lyn

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200