Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
OP Offline
Guys,

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but I was unsuccessful in finding it.

I recently installed BIAB 2016 - a new installation on a new computer. I chose Installation Option 2 - keeping Real Tracks on the External USB Hard Drive.

However, I've rethought this - and would like to go ahead and have Real Tracks on my internal hard drive (Installation Option 3 effectively).

What's the best way to do this? Should I uninstall BIAB, and do a complete re-install? Or is there an easier way to go?

Thanks

Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

There's no need to uninstall. Simply install over the top of your existing installation. It will take around an hour to install if you have the UltraPlusPak or EverythingPak.

If it was me, before installing, I would go to "Help | Utilities" and deactivate the installation. Once re-installed, I'd then reactivate it. (According to what I've read from PG Music, this shouldn't be necessary because the activation is computer sensitive and not installation sensitive. I haven't tried it though so I don't know.)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Choose a custom installation and deselect Amplitube and Sampletank. These won't need reinstalling a second time. This will speed things up a bit.

P.P.S. The reason why a simple copy from here to there won't work is because Realtracks require files other than just the Realtrack file.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F
Originally Posted By: Scott A Graham
Guys,

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but I was unsuccessful in finding it.

I recently installed BIAB 2016 - a new installation on a new computer. I chose Installation Option 2 - keeping Real Tracks on the External USB Hard Drive.

However, I've rethought this - and would like to go ahead and have Real Tracks on my internal hard drive (Installation Option 3 effectively).

What's the best way to do this? Should I uninstall BIAB, and do a complete re-install? Or is there an easier way to go?

Thanks

Provided you don't have the audiophile version transfer is OK. But according to PGMusic if you have the audiophile version on an external disc drive and transfer to your comp drive the WAV tracks get copied to WMA - (Windows Media Format i.e somewhat compressed).

Re.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: FrankK

Provided you don't have the audiophile version transfer is OK. But according to PGMusic if you have the audiophile version on an external disc drive and transfer to your comp drive the WAV tracks get copied to WMA - (Windows Media Format i.e somewhat compressed).
Re.

Frank, I can tell you that in my case this advice is just not true. I have the audiophile version, and for many years I have copied selected RealTracks to a separate internal SSD drive. As Noel mentioned, this isn't enough - you also have to copy ST2 and XT2 files to the /BB folder. The process is complicated and I don't recommend it for the faint of heart, but it can be copied manually and it will work. Could you please cite the source of this advice from PG Music? I have to believe the context is not correct (unless they, like me, were just trying to discourage you).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
OP Offline
Thanks guys -

I do have the Audiophile version - What would be your advice in this case?

Veteran
Veteran
Scott, I would call PG Music Support and ask their opinion. You will want to tell them why you are considering this, and how large your target internal drive is. The PG Music external drive with the audiophile version has about 1.5 terabytes on it! Most of that is RealTracks. And yes, the drive has both .WAV and .WMA versions of each RealTrack. The compression is about 11:1 for the .WMA files.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Matt and Scott,

I wonder if Frank was meaning that the Audiophile drive does allow a user to install the wma version of Realtracks and Realdrums on a computer's harddrive as an alternative full installation.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, probably. Not so much now, but when the audiophile version was first released, it was even larger because there were more files (two-thirds could be eliminated from the use of the Elastique algorithm). Few computers had internal drives large enough for an install of the full set of .WAV files. The installation choices thus included the option of loading only the compressed .WMA files.

By the way, we haven't yet said clearly, the audiophile version works just fine from the PG Music USB 3.0 external drive. The only disadvantage I can think of is that you don't have a backup. However, if you upgrade each year and get a new drive, you can do what I do: back up the new drive onto last year's drive.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
By the way, we haven't yet said clearly, the audiophile version works just fine from the PG Music USB 3.0 external drive. The only disadvantage I can think of is that you don't have a backup. However, if you upgrade each year and get a new drive, you can do what I do: back up the new drive onto last year's drive.

I run Audiophile absolutely fine from the USB 3 drive.

Yes, one way to obtain a backup would be to clone the USB 3 Drive to another drive. This might take some time, but could be run overnight. Then there would be a backup available.

For the O/P, my understanding is that there is no difference in the BiaB software for either versions. The software simply looks for WAV (Audiophile) files first, and uses them if available, if not, it looks for and loads the WMA file.

Oh, and welcome to the neighborhood!

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, what Trevor said about how the program works is correct.

But I need to apologize for not realizing Scott just joined the forum today. Welcome! I'm sorry for getting so deeply into technical details so quickly.

OP Offline
Yikes - I obviously have a learning curve here. I think during the installation process, it suggested that with Option 3 (installing entirely on the computer's internal hard drive), it would take about 100 Gigabytes. However perhaps this was in reference to using the lower quality files. Perhaps I should just stick with the external drive. I just like the idea of being able to use my laptop without the external drive. But I definitely can't provide Band-in-a-Box 1 TB of space on my computer.

Veteran
Veteran
You've got it right. Especially for a laptop, with one internal drive of limited size and speed, the external drive from PG Music is the right choice.

F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Originally Posted By: FrankK

Re.

Frank, I can tell you that in my case this advice is just not true. I have the audiophile version, and for many years I have copied selected RealTracks to a separate internal SSD drive. As Noel mentioned, this isn't enough - you also have to copy ST2 and XT2 files to the /BB folder. The process is complicated and I don't recommend it for the faint of heart, but it can be copied manually and it will work. Could you please cite the source of this advice from PG Music? I have to believe the context is not correct (unless they, like me, were just trying to discourage you).

Matt you asked for a citation. From the read.me files on my PGMusic audiophile ext drives for 2015 and 2016.

BIAB 2016
"Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box© AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive (**about 100 GB free disk space required**)

In addition to everything installed by Option 2, this will copy the RealTracks and RealDrums folders from the USB drive to your computer's hard drive, as if you had installed everything from DVD. This will allow you to keep the PG Music hard drive primarily for backup, and use Band-in-a-Box© and RealBand (along with the RealTracks) directly from your computer hard drive.

Since these folders contain many audio files, this option requires much more hard disk space, and may take about an hour to complete depending on how fast your computer is.

Note that this will NOT copy the .WAV files, only the .WMA files, as explained above ("Important information about this AudioPhile Edition").

BIAB 2015

Important information about this AudioPhile Edition

In this AudioPhile edition hard drive, we have included all of the original uncompressed "lossless" audio files (*.WAV) for RealTracks and RealDrums, in addition to the compressed ("lossy") *.WMA files that we normally ship.

Note that Installation Option #3 described below will only copy the compressed audio files to your computer's hard drive, not the .WAV files. While not required, if you wanted to copy all the .WAVs to your computer hard drive as well, you would choose installation Option #2 instead, and then manually copy the Drums and RealTracks folders from the bb folder on this USB drive, to the bb folder on your computer hard drive. This would usually not be practical, since it would require almost 850 MB of hard disk space.

You shouldn't delete the WAV files from this hard drive, since these are the original uncompressed files (higher quality), and this is one of the advantages to having the AudioPhile hard drive. Note that if you DO delete or archive the WAV files leaving only the WMA files, it is possible to uncompress them back to WAV, however these new files will not be the same as the originals because they will have already been compressed once - that is, they will be lossy."

Cheers F

F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F
I admit that saying the wav get copied as WMA files is not correct. What I should have said only the WMA files get copied based on the read.me info in option 3.

Re F

Veteran
Veteran
Good job, Frank. Thanks for clarifying.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I have Audiophile 2015 but already upgraded to 2016 (wma)
Although Audiophile is running smoothly from the external USB3 hard drive I´m thinking about copying the real tracks to my internal SSD. With SSD´s storage volume still being expensive, I think about deleting the wma´s where wav´s are in place. That must be around 50-60Gbyte and therefore worth thinking about on a SSD.
Has anybody an idea how to do this deleting process fast and easy without the danger of deleting anything important?

Thanks in advance

SC

Veteran
Veteran
I used to teach batch file programming but I'm not sure how to do this, or I would have done it myself.

My setup is similar to what you describe. I have the BIAB program on an internal SSD I used to use as my boot drive. The RealTracks of the audiophile version are copied to an internal Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive, which is faster than most at 10,000 rpm.

I only put some of my RealTracks there, the ones for samba, bossa, and swing that I write. I use a program called Total Commander to highlight some RealTrack folders and copy just those. You also have to remember that all of the .ST2 and .XT2 files must be in your /BB folder. I know some aren't needed but there is no way to know which.

When I want to use other styles (rarely), I go into Preferences, RealTracks and switch the location back to the PG Music external audiophile drive. This works for me but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone because there is plenty of possibility for error.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195