Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Our new song:

Sometimes you spent weeks composing, arranging and tweaking your song. And then suddenly you finish up your best one (MO) in only a matter of days.
This 70s soul track came very natural in several ways. The Biab style had a very nice groove to begin with. Then there was the, more or less, accidental key signature I tried, that left me lots of space for a falsetto voice throughout the entire song (giving Anne-Marie enough space to create a harmony vocal).
Both the guitar soloists we tried, played way better together than we anticipated. We accidentally let one of them run at a lower volume throughout the final choruses and that worked surprisingly well as an addition to the vocals there. We were also lucky to not mind the mastering volume in Cubase which caused a tiny bit of distortion in the last part of the song, which in turn created that typical soft overdrive sound you may remember to be typical for the last track on each side of a record (long before there were CDs). It's also typical for soul music in general in those days.

Like many of you we watched Pat Marr's beautiful animated BIAB testimonial several months back. I couldn't resist asking him to create an animation for this song, being pretty sure he would come up with something special. Well he did. He also managed to give the lyrics and theme of the song a very original twist.
Creating such an animation takes a lot of creativity, work and even more time. We are very thankful for his hard work!
The program used here is Muvizu. Since it's such a cool program I decided to give it to Anne-Marie for her birthday (which isn't anytime soon laugh ) At the moment we are only scratching the surface, realizing how much work this must've been for Pat!

Go see for yourself!

Rob

Style is _DISCO54.STY (Discotheque Funky Disco)

RealTracks:
2608:Bass, Electric, ModernDiscoFunkAlex Ev 110
1437:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
2618:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Funk16thsMutedWahWah Ev16 100
1436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinMute Ev16 110
2273:Synth, Rhythm DiscoDigiBell Ev 120
1256 Guitar El. Rhythm PopShining Gritty
2305 SynthBackgroundDanceRockTensionPad
RealDrums: SynthDrumsDisco^1-a:Snare, Kick , b:Snare Busy,

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Rob and Anne-Marie and Pat

This is a groovy and happy sound that reminds me Saturday Night Fever.
70’s soul sound has been beautifully reproduced.
And Pat's Animation is so cool and a perfect match for the song.
I really really enjoyed this.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rob, Anne-Marie and Pat,

I totally agree with everything Shigeki Adachi said. I really enjoyed this and it radiates with a presentation that's à la 70s (including vocals in the style of Barry Gibb! Nice!). Rob, you've excelled yourself. Anne-Marie, your ability to harmonise with precision and confidence is a skill I admire greatly. And Pat... wow!!!.... great video indeed. Your overly-enthusiastic-dog ending took me totally by surprise! I'm still laughing smile

Regards to all,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi R & A-M.

Absolutely fabulous and the best thing I've seen/heard on the forum for a long, long time.

What a superb track! It's just inspired and has to be your best ever. Everything about it is perfect, from the disco backing to Rob's amazing falsetto and Anne-Marie's super harmonies. Yes, very much in the Night Fever/Staying Alive vein. Great choice of instruments and solos and a spot-on mix. You must be proud of this.

And Pat! You've excelled this time, my old pal. This is professional level animation. Not only is the technical side good, but the story board, the creativity and the humour propel this to a level we've never seen before on the forum.

Brilliant piece of work from you all. I'm going to put a link to this on our music-prof facebook page.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rob/Anne-Marie/Pat...

Zowie, that's good!

Super vocals (of course). The whole tracks "pops". The synths have the power that they need to make this work the way it should - and that's no easy feat. Stellar mix.

Great animation, Pat. So good that I "lost myself" in it - meaning, I stopped thinking about the animation (process) itself - and simply watched the story. That seldom happens (for me).

Y'all should all be proud of this one (I'm sure you are).

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rob, Anne-Marie and Pat,

it's all been said above. I assist that you all can
be proud of this project.
I really enjoyed.

Guenter

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This one certainly has the ***WOW*** factor. Great song, great mix and superb performance. The video is fabulous.

Very professional at every level. Loved it from start to finish.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi guys great peace all of it everything fit together well done thanks for sharing a good work eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oops... yes, I was talking about the soloists, but forgot to post them:
669 GuitarSlideBackground Easy Southern
1260 Guitar El.Soloist PopShining
1274 Guitar El.Soloist PopUplift Bluesy

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's Saturday night here and I am listening to your song RnAM. What a fever !!! Agree with Shigeki.

Before reading your comment, I didn't remark that you were singing Rob, I thought it was Anne-Marie. You master very well this technique too, "la voix de tête" as we say in french. What you don't master ?

Thank for having added the soloist RTs in your last post. Well put on the tune !

The animated video is awesome too. Another technique that we would like to control as well as this ! (never tried, just with pieces of paper when I was a kid)

Congratulations all
Pascal

No hay banda! There is no band! Il n'est pas de orchestra!
No hay banda! And yet we hear a band !

(David Lynch - Mulholland Drive)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Just a quick comment from my point of view:

When Rob And Anne-Marie asked me to make an animation for their song I was very happy to be included in a collaboration on such a good song... I love everything about it! They perfectly captured the 70s disco era sound, and all they asked of me was to present the visuals in a way that also matched the era... the green and orange interior decorating that was all the rage in the 70s, and of course, we'd need a mirrored disco ball.

I'd already done 2 music videos that were basically a band playing the song, and I wanted this video to tell a story. One of the lines in the song gave me an idea: "Holding you close this sweet loving could never be wrong..." and I immediately wondered what would happen if this sweet loving WAS wrong?? (yeah we need to make it wrong, wrong, wrong!)

The pilot video (which had to be trimmed down to fit the song) included more scenes that developed the dog's love for his owner. From the time the girl put the cassette in the player and turned it on, the rest of the video is from the point of view of the dog's imagination. (until the end when the girl snaps him out of it)

Depending on how you perceive it, the surprise ending could be either funny or offensive. We collectively decided to take the chance in hope that anybody who has ever owned a male dog would identify with the outcome. If anybody was/is offended by the leg humping... I apologize. But if you took the bait and resolved the surprise with a chuckle... thanks for "getting it!" That makes me happy!

I should probably mention that it was actually Rob and Anne-Marie who created the video in its final form. I provided one overly long rough version plus about 30 minutes worth of footage of different scenes from a variety of camera angles, then they took what they wanted and added some cool transitions. Without a doubt, what they ended up with is far superior to what I sent them!

Many thanks to RnAM for letting me take part in the project! It has been a pleasure working with you on this awesome song!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well done.
Thanks for sharing this ..
Normally when I hear something referencing 'the 70s disco era sound' I cringe, but this was fun.
smile

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song with nice "Bee Gees" disco feel, perfect selection of instruments, very well sung and the animated video is funny. The soloing dog is my favourite part smile I was hoping the chorus part would lead to a really catchy hook ala "Tragedy", but maybe its better this way to avoid plagiarism smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
As they say, ‘love it when a good thing comes together’ this is a perfect example, song and video
The Dawg doing a Mark Knopfler was a hoot. The ending ? I think in addition to his many talents, Pat Marr has a wicked sense of humor.

Paddy G

Last edited by PaddyG; 05/01/16 06:19 AM.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Beautiful song with nice "Bee Gees" disco feel, perfect selection of instruments, very well sung and the animated video is funny. The soloing dog is my favourite part smile I was hoping the chorus part would lead to a really catchy hook ala "Tragedy", but maybe its better this way to avoid plagiarism smile

Janne

This took me immediately back to the 70's-a very nice trip!! Sounds awesome! Everything works! Was it just a coincidence that the animator looked like Barry? Pat did an amazing job-he is a man of wonderful talent and intelligence! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The song-Ha! How cool and fun was that? It seems to have exactly what it need to be that type of song. Vocals, instruments...all of it! Great job!

Animation-I really don't want to think of how long that had to take?! Unless things have gotten MUCH easier, that would have been an undertaking and then some. Seeing each band member moving, as a light is going across stage...plus all of the angles...you have GOT to love it to be able to pull this off. Also, GREAT job!

Thanks to all involved for sharing this.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Was it just a coincidence that the animator looked like Barry?

not a coincidence! (good eye!) I downloaded a bunch of BeeGees photos from that period (lots of different hair styles etc) and I tried to come up with a "composite" BeeGees look for the guitar player and the keyboard player. Since the BeeGees didn't have a female bass player, she is loosely modelled to be an edgier version of Anne-Marie.

Thanks for the kind words Greg! And you always notice the things that I hope people will notice... GREATLY appreciated!

User Showcase
RnAM Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Shigeki.

Saturday Night Fever... we know that one and so does Pat!

Kind regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
awesome!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hmmmm....this project certainly raised the user forum bar up several notches!

As Jerry Lee Lewis was reputed to have done...y'all might as well set the piano on
fire and exited the stage. This production is gonna be hard to top.

Absolutely superb write, arrangement, mix and that flawless falsetto
with the amazing harmonies...wow!

Like that wasn't enough you showcase the song in Pat's video for which the animation,
the outfits, the stage and the lighting brilliantly nailed the period.

The collab of collabs!

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195