Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#146289 - 01/11/12 07:42 AM Stolen equipment :(
Cerio Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spain
It's the first time something like that happens to me. My wife left the equipment inside the car, but some rat got inside the private parking at late night, opened the car (destroying not only the door, but nearly everything inside the car) and took not only the P.A. system, but the mixer, the microphone, some percussion instruments, cables, etc...

I've work hard for earning the money I've loosed. I'm very, very angry, and frustrated, there seems to be not much I can do. Any idea REALLY appreciated.

#146290 - 01/11/12 08:01 AM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: Cerio]
jazzmandan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Sorry to hear this.

BIAB User Map

#146291 - 01/11/12 08:21 AM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: jazzmandan]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

Sorry to hear that. Robberies cause more victim pain than the law allows punishment for. I hope you get lucky and find the equipment. If you have the serial numbers, send them the the police and then start scouting out the local pawn shops. You will probably have to pay the amount the pawn shop paid for the items, but it will be 10-20% of the value (thread here)

#146292 - 01/11/12 08:42 AM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: Kemmrich]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I am also sorry to hear this. I hope you had everything insured.

#146293 - 01/11/12 08:46 AM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: Kemmrich]
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida
Oh no..ths is terrible. Happened to me once, I've never forgot it, made me paranoid...now I'm a compulsive locker, park under lights and park away from other cars so my car is not so hidden and hide allow valuables so they cannot be seen. Maybe its time to look into an after market alarm system if you are going to keep valuables in your car....Viper makes some good ones.
Win10x64, Intel i5, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB HD, BIAB 2016v434, RB 2016v6, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express XT, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, TC Helicon VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.5, SampleTank 3.6

#146294 - 01/11/12 09:34 AM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: MountainSide]
KeithS Offline
Expert

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
You may find that at least some of your loss is covered by your auto insurance and/or your home coverage. I've always taken out a rider on my homeowner's insurance to cover my instruments since my insurance company's cap on coverage for them is about $2,000 and I have single instruments that exceed that in value.

I also make a point of never leaving my equipment in the van over night. No matter how tired I am, or how late it is, the van gets unloaded and equipment put up. That isn't just to avoid theft. Cold and hot weather are hard on musical instruments and equipment.
Windows 7 64 Bit, SONAR Platinum, Sony Vegas 13, Acid 7, Sony Audio Master Suite, Waves Horizon Bundle, Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced

#146295 - 01/11/12 10:47 AM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: KeithS]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

That totally sucks.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#146296 - 01/11/12 11:04 AM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: silvertones]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Sorry to hear this terrible news, good advice above especially re: the pawn shops.

Best of Luck to you,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#146297 - 01/11/12 11:13 AM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: Danny C.]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Locally many musicians have registered with suppliers and after a theft of someone's gear they send out an email. It's surprising how many stories I hear of where they guy found his gear for sale on some board or another and recently a guy got back his guitar and the guy who had it met the cop parked across the street. Of course they guy 'found' it in a dumpster, ya right.

Where do you live?

#146298 - 01/11/12 12:47 PM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: John Conley]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
One guy here, several years ago, had 2 basses stolen from his car. He made the rounds of the local pawn shops. He was in the one near my house that I check out every week to leave the serial numbers with the owner of the shop. 2 guys came in trying to pawn his basses WHILE HE WAS IN THE STORE!!!! He gestured with his eyes, pointed discreetly to the papers he had given the guy. The shop owner was savvy enough to stall while the victim "said goodbye". He then went outside, called the police and they came to the store and arrested the thieves.

This a tale fo great restraint. The guy in question stands 6'5" and is a 3rd degree black belt who teaches matrial arts classes and has placed in the top 4 in national tournaments. I wonder if I would have had that kind of poise....

-------------------------------------------
My CD is now available for purchase by download on CDBaby.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/eastsideeddie

#146299 - 01/11/12 01:55 PM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: Cerio]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Sorry to hear about this.

In the US, it is a good idea to engrave your drivers license number somewhere discretely on all of your gear. This can often lead to recovery of stolen items.

There are some steps that you can take, however.

Print out a list of the stolen gear, make copies and take them around to the local pawn shops, used instrument stores, etc. and drop them off with the proprietors. Reputable proprietors will be glad to get the information. If you do not have your driver's license number engraved on your gear, sometimes you can still recover by showing the sales receipt, sometimes they might even just take your word for it.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#146300 - 01/11/12 07:27 PM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: Mac]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
All good stuff, Mac. I have everything in a spreadsheet with new value, replacement value, serial number, photo and the location of a unique identifying mark, a different type of mark on each instrument and in a different location. That spreadsheet is stored online, on a thumbdrive that is always with me, on a CD, and each computer, and a copy of the disc is in a bank safe deposit box as well as one in my fireproof safe with my will, etc....

Of course if they take the stuff an head for Guatemala....

But I have taken every precaution I can think of.

-------------------------------------------
My CD is now available for purchase by download on CDBaby.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/eastsideeddie

#146301 - 01/11/12 09:15 PM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: eddie1261]
lkmuller Offline
Expert

Loc: Aiea, HI, USA
And don't forget to check Craigslist. They've actually caught a couple of thieves here trying to sell their goods. Of course, it was very difficult to prove that the sellers were the actual thieves, but a couple of musicians got their instrumenbts back, at least.

#146302 - 01/11/12 11:15 PM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: lkmuller]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
You are somewhat lucky it wasn't from your house. I'm not in the area of the city where this happens, but in some areas they break into the house, take the stuff, and come back in 6 weeks and take the new stuff.

Insurance. They are in the business of keeping your money. I have, as suggested, used an etching vibrator pen to mark my stuff. My Social Insurance # is on it, 9 digits.

And the list, filed with my insurance company. They love to tell you a rider was required. I just say here:
Photo gear: x y Z etc.
Music Gear: l m n o etc...
Tools : a b c d...

with serial #'s, my marks, and digital photos, along with bills etc.

And I always pay with visa, I have extra insurance there.

It does help to have spent many years working with Insurance Adjusters. They have some odd quirks. A mis-step causes HUGE delays, and your file gets kicked around.

#146303 - 01/11/12 11:44 PM Re: Stolen equipment :( [Re: eddie1261]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

Of course if they take the stuff and head for Guatemala....

if they take the stuff and head for guatamala, I hope the same people who are giving the Gibson company grief will nail them for taking exotic wood out of the country.

on a personal note to Cerio: very few things in this life make a person feel as defiled as being ripped off... especially when the thief steals things that are important to you. I sincerely wish there was something I could do to help you get your stuff back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2016: Build 7 Update Patch Available!

Did you know... If you own Band-in-a-Box 2016 for Windows, you also own RealBand 2016!

With that in mind, a new update patch is available here.

Summary of Fixes for Build 7 (May 26, 2016):

Fixed: Lyrics from a .KAR file sometimes weren't displaying correctly.
Fixed: An issue in which the program might still freeze on exit if play wasn't pressed, GS Wavetable was the current synth, and ASIO4all was used.
Fixed: Access violation when double-clicking in the StylePicker.
Fixed: Quick Preview area of the StylePicker was broken.
Fixed: Spurious messages about rebuilding StylePicker when a rebuild was not necessary.
Updated: New RealBand logo/splash/icon added to program.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Special - Time is Running Out!

We recently released Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac! To celebrate, we're offering up to 50% off on Upgrade packages - but only until May 31st. Plus, if you order your 2016 version during our special you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK of Add-ons that includes:

1 Artist Video Performance:
-Jack Stafford Sax: Indiana

3 MIDI SuperTracks:
-Piano, Rhythm FolkySwing Sw 110
-Piano, Electric, Rhythm FunkSwing16 Sw16 085
-Piano, Rhythm CountryBentNoteJohn Sw 085

4 Instrumental Studies:
-Bass, Electric, Jazz Funk Poppy, Ev16 110
-Guitar, Acoustic, Folk, 2-part Fingerpicking, Sw16 085
-Guitar, Electric, Blues and Rock, Medium Rock Soloist, Ev 120
-Piano, Acoustic, Jazz and Bossa, Solo-Accompaniment Jazz Stride, Sw 085

We're also offering a 49-PAK, with 24 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 2 Artist Video Performances, 8 MIDI SuperTracks, and 15 Instrumental Studies. Add it to your purchase for only $49!
These Add-ons are not included in any other package.

Learn more about your purchase options at www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

New Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Video: Fake Sheet Mode, Repeats, 1st/2nd Endings, Codas, etc.

The final Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac New Features video is ready, and we've added demonstrations of importing/exporting Music XML, chord chart customization, and more!

Check it out: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_eqADUKt71A

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Windows Build 434 Update Available!

An update is available for Band-in-a-Box® Version 2016 for Windows.

Download the Band-in-a-Box 2016 Build 434 update (BETA) here.
This is considered to be a beta version because it is new.

Summary of changes for Build 434 (May 11, 2016):

Fixed: The [Options] button in the Repeats dialog would open the old Display Options window.
Fixed: The track buttons in the notation window would sometimes cause random messages to appear.
Fixed: The song title subgenres were not translated in localized versions.
Fixed: Edit | Lyrics | Copy Lyrics to Clipboard did not work with bar-based lyrics.
Fixed: Saving a scheme in Display Options might fail sometimes (error = "Failed to save scheme file").
Fixed: Rests & Pushes would not display in color while other chords in the same bar were being entered.
Fixed: N/A styles show in the StylePicker the first time it opens.
Fixed: In the What Add-ons do I have? dialog, RealTracks that only include RealDrums will be missing.
Fixed: When opening or importing a WAV file, and choosing "No" for the popup message "File is mono. Answer Yes to import as mono, or No to convert to stereo" would not convert the audio to stereo.
Fixed: When opening or importing a WAV file, and choosing "Cancel" for the popup message "File is mono. Answer Yes to import as mono, or No to convert to stereo" would not cancel the import.
Fixed: The track decibel offset saved in style files was not applying to UserTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Build 127 Update Available

We've released a Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac patch (build 127) that has a total of 60 updates, additions, and fixes!

Learn more about this free patch update (for 2016 customers) and download it here.

New Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Video - Fake Sheet Mode, Repeats, 1st/2nd Endings, Codas, etc.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac is the upgrade you have been waiting for... and it includes the NEW Fake Sheet Mode, Repeats, 1st/2nd Endings, Codas, etc. feature!

Check out our latest video, which shows you how to make repeats, DS al Coda, Fine, 1st/2nd endings, etc. in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac. You'll also see the difference between having Fake Sheet mode on or off. Watch this new video here: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=YzJuhAsGJ_k

Learn all about the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac - Bonus PAKs During the Month of May!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac during the month of May comes and you'll get a Free Bonus PAK that includes:

1 Artist Video Performance:
-Jack Stafford Sax: Indiana

3 MIDI SuperTracks:
-Piano, Rhythm FolkySwing Sw 110
-Piano, Electric, Rhythm FunkSwing16 Sw16 085
-Piano, Rhythm CountryBentNoteJohn Sw 085

4 Instrumental Studies:
-Bass, Electric, Jazz Funk Poppy, Ev16 110
-Guitar, Acoustic, Folk, 2-part Fingerpicking, Sw16 085
-Guitar, Electric, Blues and Rock, Medium Rock Soloist, Ev 120
-Piano, Acoustic, Jazz and Bossa, Solo-Accompaniment Jazz Stride, Sw 085

*Excluding the $49 Pro Upgrade*

Plus, you can add a 49-PAK to your purchase for only $49! This is packed with 24 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 2 Artist Video Performances, 8 MIDI SuperTracks, 15 Instrumental Studies, and (for the first time ever) 3 "Artist Video Performances," which are video files that play in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to learn more about the Bonus PAKs.

Visit www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm to find the Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac purchase for you.

Forum Stats
24752 Members
42 Forums
39847 Topics
316449 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
magnificoinc, Stephan_A, nit, Ike, westom

24752 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 157
Pat Marr 142