Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The software didn't really quit working, it became obsolete as people abandoned it in favor of the bigger, newer and 'better' versions. A high end XP soft synth program that won't work on version 7,8 or 10, still works perfectly in XP.

XP machines are still available and easy to find. They are dirt cheap, many are given away free. Components are still abundant and easily obtained. High end components are now available at more than reasonable cost. Connect your midi instrument to your XP machine just as you always have and you get the same sound just as you always have; the same as Notes gets from his external equipment.

No external module was ever sold that comes close to the quantity sold of XP machines. Therefore, the availability of parts and replacement units cannot match the availability and ability to repair or replace an XP unit. A $0.75 proprietary chip that a replacement cannot be located can turn an obsolete external module into useless trash. Notes' machines are full of cheap but proprietary chips and obsolete components. The manufacturer may or may not have the capability to repair or replace any of Notes units.

At this point in time, an XP machine can be maintained and stay functional indefinitely. The sound they produce can be captured by any audio recording device.

Notes has taken care of and maintained his equipment and assumes it will continue to operate as it always has. That is not the case. The longer a piece does continue to operate, the greater the likelihood that if and when it does fail, there will no longer be a repair or replacement available. Currently, all components of an XP machine are abundant and readily available.

Lastly, Notes is limited to the quantity and quality of the sounds of his external modules. He can stack modules and has more sounds available to him than he likely will ever need. However, compare the quantity of total sounds available to him from his external modules with the much greater number of software synths that were made to operate on XP machines. It's no contest in quantity or overall quality. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of software synths that will not operate on new OS computers. But they work flawlessly on the OS in which they were designed to.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 05/17/16 04:53 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Some good points Charlie, but following your reasoning, for the sounds I currently have available I should have a the minimum, one each of the following computers:
  • Motorola OS 6 or 7 Mac
  • Power PC through OSX Mac
  • Intel OSX Mac
  • Win3.1 PC
  • Win95 PC
  • WinXP PC
  • Win10 PC
on my workbench.

And I would have to mix and match the sounds from each of these machines together, not to mention synchronize them.

And even in the simplest sense, if I wanted to use a great but discontinued soft synth on XP and also use a spiffy new synth sound only available on Win10, syncing them together is a major PITA.

And how many computers from the mid 1980s still are running?

My Atari, Win DOS5/Win3.1, Motorola Mac, Win 95, Win 98, Power PC Mac, and an XP or two computers have all died.

I have 1980s synths with zero moving parts that still work today. My oldest computer is a 2002 XP ThinkPad. Synths last longer than computers.

- - -

And yes, I have thousands of sounds I'll never use. I'll probably never use the helicopter, demon from hell, sitar, bottle blow, air pad, sinosound rave, cascade, shattered, and so on (but who knows). They are fine sounds, but not for me right now.

My XV5050 alone has well over a thousand sounds in it. I use about 30 of them. I bought it used for a great price, but even if I bought it new, it would be worth it for those 30 sounds. And who knows, I might want to use more if I change the kind of music I'm playing.

But yes, there will probably be thousands of sounds I'll never use.

On the other hand, I don't play every song in a music book, I don't visit every website on the Internet, I don't listen to every station on my radio, if I watched TV, I'd never watch all the cable channels, I don't watch every video from Netflix, I don't read every article on my e-newspaper, I don't use all the settings on the microwave, I don't use every app on my computers (or tablet or phone), I don't drive on every road my tax money built, I don't even use every feature in BiaB, etc.

I don't look at it as things I'm paying for and not using. I look at the things I use.

If there are enough features on a device to make it worth my money, I buy it and don't worry about the things that I don't use. Those are simply extra features for another customer, or perhaps some day I'll find a use for them.

I buy things for the benefit they bring to me, not the extra features I don't use.

And when the soft synths and XP computers are all but gone (like Win3.1 computers and Motorola Macs), my hardware synths will probably still be working. They seem to be very rugged beasts and have outlasted a number of computers already.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: John F
I have BIAB 2014 and have a question about getting realistic sound output on my songs. I am using Coyote and wonder if there is any better way to get realistic instrument sounds. What equipment do I need to add to my setup? I'm using a laptop w/Win 10

Having good gear is a plus....and using a synth that can play samples is good too. I rarely use midi any more. It's generally audio with an occasional sampled midi synth sound.

First: select the BB styles that use real tracks. They sound better than the 100% midi styles

Second: open the file with real band and let it create all real tracks.

Third: If you need more than that, use sampled sounds and the appropriate synth to play them. This would be my choice if I needed something to play a specific melodic line in a song. Of course, you need to play the parts on a keyboard to do that. Basic keyboard skills will get it done.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/18/16 05:43 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
While its true that RTs sound better than MIDI, they sound only slightly better than a good MIDI synth.

However MIDI can be edited to coax more expression that is appropriate to the song you are making, and expression is much more important than tone.

Expression more important than tone?

Definitely.

Just think of the scores of singers that have poor voices but yet are or were extremely popular: Dr. John, Stevie Nicks, John Lennon, Blossom Dearie, Leon Redbone, Bob Dylan, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on.

And what is good tone anyway? The two most popular jazz tenor saxophonists of the 20th century both played the same model sax. But if you take a non-musician and play a recording from John Coltrane and Stan Getz the overwhelming majority of normal listeners will say they don't even play the same instrument - not a different make and model, but an entirely different instrument.

Tone is overrated and expression is underrated to musicians, because to the vast majority of listeners it's just the opposite.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I agree with all you say Notes. You would not necessarily need a separate machine for each OS. Many software programs were cross platform so one machine could house several different software programs from older OS systems.

My point was simply that these older soft synths are not 'lost' and can still be available if someone wanted them. Also, as things in computing are currently, an XP system doesn't have to die. Every component of XP systems is replaceable, thus repairable. An offline, dedicated unit can be as reliable as external hardware.

My point was that if I had a very expensive, top of the line XP compatible software synth and library, a dedicated CPU may be worth having just for the soft synth and library.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
You have good points.

However my old synths work fine in the rack without another computer. They are virtually maintenance free, turn on in a few seconds, and if I ever need a replacement, I see them on Ebay all the time.

It's much easier for me to hook up another synth in the MIDI branched chain than another computer.

I suppose I could run an XP computer forever, if a desktop, but the repairs (I can't do that myself) would possibly be too expensive.

I have a 2002 ThinkPad that gave me over 10 years service doing one-nighters, bouncing on stage, riding in the van, constantly changing temperatures, and running flawlessly every night.

A few years ago it developed a problem. It still works fine, but the laptop screen has to be in certain positions to see the display. I took it in, the Lenovo repairman said IBM quit making those parts years ago. If I buy a broken machine of the same model, I could probably fix it. I told him 'No thanks'.

BTW, the other 2002 ThinkPad is still working flawlessly (I run two on stage). I replaced the defective one with a newer ThinkPad.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Your stage setup sounds very stable and reliable. I'm referring more to producing synth sounds for a studio recording setup than for live stage use.

If I had purchased $700 NI Komplete package in 2008-09 era for my XP and knew the product inside/out, there is no reason it could not be performing the same function for me today even though my BIAB/RB 2016 is running off a Kompact incompatible Windows 10 desktop. Having an XP machine would make perfect sense to me.

BTW, your thinkpad could probably still be used daily in your studio by connecting a external monitor to the VGA output. wink

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 05/20/16 07:13 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
I'm sure the 2002 ThinkPad would work with an external monitor, but with the single core Pentium III processor, it takes too long to boot or do anything complicated.

If playing soft synth sounds, I'm afraid the latency would be too much for me.

And when playing with a half dozen or so synths at the same time, latency becomes a big issue. Most hardware synths run at 5 or 6 ms latency. There is no consistency with softsynths. One could be a tenth of a second, another almost half a second, and there is no way I'm going to tweak the tracks, ppm by ppm until the both play at the same time. Multiply that by six.

On stage I use the machines for 2 things, play the backing tracks I create myself, or display the words, music notation or both.

With over 550 songs in our 'book', the newer ones aren't memorized yet, so I need to glance at the music and/or words.

And for those songs we haven't played in a long time, that first glance is usually enough to jog the memory.

And also, in the middle of a song, even while you may be singing or playing the sax/guitar/windsynth someone might come up and request a "Happy Birthday" or another song, jerking me out of 'the zone'. A few glances at the music can help me find my place in the backing track and get back to the business of performing.

I never understood why people come up in the middle of a song to say something. I guess they don't understand it's like coming up to the podium while someone is in the middle of a paragraph in his/her speech and asking a question.

We forgive them for they know not what they do wink

Apprentice
Apprentice
"I never understood why people come up in the middle of a song to say something."

Agreed. That drives me nuts too! I can only do 35 things at once. When people talk to you, that equals 36 things. At that point I'm doomed smile.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
Veteran
Veteran
I'll go OT here to relate one of my favorite stories. The world renowned pianist Paul Smith used to perform at a Velvet Turtle right down the street from me in a small lounge. He was right in the middle of a smoking solo of Tunisia when this woman is walking all scrunched over trying to keep her head out of his spotlight with a paper in her hand. As she gets close to him he motions to his bass player and stops cold right in the middle of his solo. She was obviously startled. He smiles and says pleasantly "What would you like to hear, dear?" He looks at the paper and says, "Sure we can do that", gives her another big smile and picks right up with this killer solo.

I thought that was so cool. He actually embarrassed the crap out of her without obviously doing it, you know?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! I could never do that. I could be kind and stop playing, but never pick up where I left off. But then, I play with backing tracks that I create myself. Perhaps with a real band I could resume, but it would definitely take me in a different direction (perhaps better, perhaps worse).

Back on topic.

More realistic sound got me thinking.

All sounds are real.

I play saxophone, it's my main instrument, and has been for decades. I was first in the all-state band every year I was in school, and for a tenor player, that is quite a feat - it goes to the alto player by default.

I have two great tenor saxes and one alto with the voice of an angel.

But I probably play the WX5/VL70m MIDI sax on stage as much as I do the acoustic ones.

Why?

Sometimes the synth sax sound is simply more appropriate for the song.

Just as a pianist might switch for the Rhodes when he/she wants that sound, I switch to one of the synth sax sounds.

Do you mean acoustic instead of realistic?

Once a sound is recorded, it is no longer acoustic anyway.

The criticisms of MIDI are very similar to those aimed at electric guitars way back when.

And the saxophone itself was dissed when it first came out. German bands among others refused to use it, and considered it an inferior clarinet-ish sounding instrument.

There is a time for acoustic, a time for acoustic electric, and a time for electronic. The trick is picking the right tool for the right job at the appropriate time.

And since virtually every recording that has made it to one of the Billboard charts in the past 30 years has MIDI deeply embedded into its DNA (Per Alan Parsons and Craig Anderton), there is obviously nothing wrong with MIDI.

The A-List pros know.

Apprentice
Apprentice
The man (Paul Smith) has class, Bob!

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Excellent post, Notes!

I've always wondered the same. I've heard some pretty crappy MIDI voices even on my Tyros 5 (although rare) but after they are placed in the mix, they fit like an expensive pair of leather gloves. They seem to sound natural. I think Yamaha knows this, and goes to great pains to design voices that sound good inside and outside the mix. Then there's effects, which can make or break a MIDI instrument's sound...but I digress smile.

- Lee

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,624
Posts735,210
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185