T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
1. Input 4 bars intro
2. Input 16 bars verse
3. Set repeat to begin at bar 5 and last for 16 bars

Doesn't work. Plays continues as if the repeat sign wasn't there. Doesn't matter if I check "insert new bars" or not. That's dumb anyway. There are no new bars. There are 16 bars that are repeated. That's what "repeat" means. What does "insert new bars" actually mean?

4. Input 12 bars for solos.
5. Set new repeat to begin at bar 21 and last for 12 bars.

Works. Doesn't matter if I check "insert new bars" or not.

Don't tell me to write the whole thing out. That's dumb.

1. I don't care to.
2. I want to know if repeat works or not.

By the way, where's the explanation of the difference between a red repeat sign and a black one?

Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
For steps 1,2,3, does this assist:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-05-23_11-28-18.jpg (19.72 KB, 251 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thanks, but no. Already had the song beginning at 5. I put end at 100. Doesn't matter because the repeat either plays or not after measure 20. After that there may be any number of things, and indeed there is a 12 bar section with it's own repeat. And only 1 "chorus".

I forgot to say, BIAB 2014.

Last edited by Tom Dentist; 05/22/16 04:28 PM.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Are the tracks frozen?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Tom,

I've just had a look in the pdf manual for BIAB 2014. On page 393 there's an excellent tutorial that steps a user through using repeats and endings.

The tutorial even has it's own folder of songs in the \bb folder. You'll find these under...

• \bb\Tutorial - Repeats and Endings

It's well worth taking the time to work through these lessons and the associated material.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
THE EASIEST WAY.

UNFOLD it.

UNFOLD the song under the songs form.... rather than use repeats, unfold it to one linear song form....

Simply highlight the part you want to repeat.

Click, hold, and drag.... select COPY and then PASTE it to where you want the repeat to start.

Do the intro.... 4 bars...
do the verse 16 bars....
copy the 16 bars....
Paste into bar 21....
waaa laaa... you have a repeat.
write the chorus to the song or any solo parts...
paste the verse again into the bar after the solo or chorus....
write any tags or insert the ending.

This is a very fast, simple, easy to use, and straightforward way to work in BB. It's linear in fashion so there's never any doubt where you are in the song.

Do you need to start in the middle of the second verse or at the beginning of the third verse? Just click there and press PLAY. No guesswork involved.

In a similar fashion, you can rearrange and delete unwanted parts of a song. To me, working in the UNFOLDED form is the "only way" to work.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/23/16 02:24 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
But, repeats are supposed to work without unfolding.

If I understand the O/P's original request correctly, it was how to use repeats, not how to unfold so as not to use repeats.

I'm a little interested in what is the cause of his problem, not how to find an alternative delivery method.

Tom?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

If I understand the O/P's original request correctly, it was how to use repeats, not how to unfold so as not to use repeats.

I'm a little interested in what is the cause of his problem, not how to find an alternative delivery method.

Tom?

Yes absolutely they are supposed to work and they likely do.

As a new user, I too tried to figure out how to make things work by the book using repeats and all the other musical road signs like DC al Coda.... etc... I found it to be very frustrating.

I personally like the path of least resistance when I'm being creative so once I discovered how to unfold, I found not one reason to worry with the road signs.

Yeah, he did ask about the repeats.... but perhaps he wasn't aware that a better way exists in the same way that I once didn't realize it either.

More power to you folks who know how to use the road signs in your songs. I have no problem with that whatsoever. I just want the fastest, easiest way to get that song down so I can get to the tracking.

www.herbhartley.com

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I think we first need to establish Tom means repeats, as in first / second ending kind, or simply as a repeat using the BIAB "number of choruses"

If it is the first, Guitarhacker's approach is certainly the easiest. It's not hard to add the endings, repeats, DS etc., once the basic linear song is created.

The basic BIAB chorus repeat is even simpler to create, although it has less flexibility. Based on what I see in Tom's initial question is that the song is exactly 20 bars long (not 100). The settings should be 5 / 16 / 3 (to the right of the tempo and key). For more 'repeats' change the 3 to what ever he needs. No need to change or add anything to the chord / melody structure.

What am I missing?

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thanks, all.

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
I looked at the tutorial, which seems to be the same as the help. Am I safe in assuming it is?

It says:

"It appears from looking at the chordsheet that this 32 bar form consists of two 16 bar sections, with a 1st ending at
bar 9, and a 2nd ending at bar 25."

I don't get it. How did this chordsheet come to be? Who entered the chords that way, and why? It "appears to consist of" . . . didn't the person who wrote it know what he was doing? Just entering chords, tra la . . . and it happened to come out right?

To "repeat":

1. Input 4 bars intro
2. Input 16 bars verse
3. Set repeat to begin at bar 5 and last for 16 bars

Doesn't work. Doesn't matter if I check "insert new bars" or not. That's dumb anyway. There are no new bars. There are 16 bars that are repeated. That's what "repeat" means.

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T

Tom?

You are correct, sir !

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Dave
I think we first need to establish Tom means repeats, as in first / second ending kind, or simply as a repeat using the BIAB "number of choruses"

Neither. There's only one kind of repeat.

Quote:
These form markers are present for every song, unless you disable them by Preferences | Display. These are not the type of repeats/endings we’re referring to here however. The repeats/endings we are talking about now occur during the form, and are the 1st/2nd endings, DS al Coda and other repeat types that you see on a typical lead sheet.

Wrong on both counts.

1. The form markers enclose a part that is to be repeated. That is a repeat.

2. 1st/2nd endings etc. are navigation instructions, not repeats. You can have DS al coda without a repeat. Repeat means repeat.

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

"Likely"?

Quote:
As a new user, I too tried to figure out how to make things work by the book using repeats and all the other musical road signs like DC al Coda.... etc... I found it to be very frustrating.

"Likely"?

This is what I found about "unfold":

Quote:
If you have a song with 3 choruses, and want to convert it to a single large chorus, this command "unfolds" the song into just that; one BIG chorus. This is useful for customizing a song (e.g., changing styles and/or patches at different bars, etc.)

This feature is accessible under the Edit menu.

I don't see what it has to do with repeats other than the whole-form repeat that BIAB inserts. I frequently have 2 repeats within a song and sometimes 3 or even 4. Not much point in unfolding them if I can't create them in the first place. What would I be unfolding?

In any case, my purpose is not to make style or patch changes. And if it were . . .

If you have 2 sections where the chords are identical, but there are patch or style changes, between them, it's not one section repeated, it's two different sections. Why would I want to disguise two sections as one with erroneous use of the repeat sign, implying that they are the same, when they aren't?

Last edited by Tom Dentist; 05/23/16 10:24 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tom Dentist
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

"Likely"?

Quote:

"Likely"?

This is what I found about "unfold":

Quote:
If you have a song with 3 choruses, and want to convert it to a single large chorus, this command "unfolds" the song into just that; one BIG chorus. This is useful for customizing a song (e.g., changing styles and/or patches at different bars, etc.)

This feature is accessible under the Edit menu.

I don't see what it has to do with repeats other than the whole-form repeat that BIAB inserts. I frequently have 2 repeats within a song and sometimes 3 or even 4. Not much point in unfolding them if I can't create them in the first place. What would I be unfolding?

In any case, my purpose is not to make style or patch changes. And if it were . . .

If you have 2 sections where the chords are identical, but there are patch or style changes, between them, it's not one section repeated, it's two different sections. Why would I want to disguise two sections as one with erroneous use of the repeat sign, implying that they are the same, when they aren't?

Likely... yep,,,, I don't use them so I would assume it "likely" works like it's supposed too. I've seen folks ask this same question in the past. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fanatic for following the music rules of the road regarding the signs.... if I can copy and paste to get it done faster and easier, I will do that. Unfolded, or in a linear form.... as PG calls it "one big chorus" I can see where I am in the song and whether I'm in the first or third verse. Doing that with signs is a bit more difficult. In addition, adding tags and other custom things to the song is a straightforward process of simply writing the chords that you want played rather than trying to figure out how to do tags with a triple repeat and then throw in a bridge, and back to the chorus for the tag all using the musical signs to tell BB where to go and how to get there. In my unfolded form, doing THAT is a breeze. Not so using signs.

Whether you use the musical signposts for the repeat ||: music :|| or if you simply use a copy and paste to duplicate the first verse several times, it all sounds exactly alike. So yeah, it's still a repeat of the music from the first verse no matter how you get it done.

I really do not mean to sound argumentative on this.... if you want to learn how to negotiate BB using signs, by all means, have at it and have fun. We need folks who know how to do that so that they can teach the new users the tricks of the trade. I'll just be over here unfolding and copying and pasting to get my repeats and I'll be suggesting that folks try this method too if they want to keep it simple.

www.herbhartley.com

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Are the tracks frozen?

No.

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Dave
It's not hard to add the endings, repeats, DS etc., once the basic linear song is created.

I don't understand what you mean by "linear".

In writing music, you write sections, and then you add repeats and navigational directions, and you're done. That's how I've always done it. That's how it is on every piece of sheet music I've ever seen. What's the "basic linear" part?

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
In BIAB, repeats are essentially a print function. BIAB plays the song from the begining to the end, and the Fake book allows you to see and print the music as typical sheet music.

So a 32 bar song played 3 times through is in fact 96 bars in BIAB. If you layout your song this way, you can then add the repeats (and or endings, or DS) as needed.

This is the linear format that has been described.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tom Dentist

I don't understand what you mean by "linear".

In writing music, you write sections, and then you add repeats and navigational directions, and you're done. That's how I've always done it. That's how it is on every piece of sheet music I've ever seen. What's the "basic linear" part?

Linear simply means from measure 1 through the last measure in a complete and straightforward direction. No repeating of what has been played already.... in other words you don't ever jump back.... you always are going on to the next measure. Follow the yellow brick road.

That's what happens to the folded up song when you UNFOLD it. It becomes linear. NO navigational beacons or road signs are needed. You're always moving to the very next measure....always.

You can still write sections. You simply copy and paste them if you need to repeat that section. There's no need for navigational directions. You never reverse direction or go back. You simply and only move forward.

In this format, you know exactly where you are, you know what's coming, and there are no surprises. Adding new parts, bridges, tags, spacial events, choruses, more verses, are very, very easy to do. NO programming of the repeats and where to go, or "how do I do this or that?" .... you simply progress from one measure to the next in a forward direction adding the musical chords as you need them. And heaven forbid you want to change something in a folded song's verse without changing the other verses to match. In Linear, no problem. Just make that change and it only happens where you made the change.

Since BB can easily handle somewhere around 250 (or more) measures, and the average song is generally less than half that number, working in the linear is really the best way to work. Once you try working linear, there's a good chance you will not go back to folded song form. Unfolding is literally the FIRST thing I do when I start a new project.

EDIT: I write a verse and a chorus. I copy and paste the verse where I want it to repeat.... I do likewise with the chorus.... I insert 8 blank measures to add a bridge if I need it and type in the chords, I might copy half or a full verse for the solo depending.... and then I copy the last line of the chorus and paste it a few times for a tag. It is simple and takes less time to build a song in this manner than it does to figure out the placement of the nav beacons and make it all work like it's supposed to with the repeats and the "go to here's".... If you're doing much more than a simple repeat, using the signs can become confusing.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/24/16 02:21 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Tom,

Did you work through the tutorial I suggested?

I've just finished going through it. This is the first time I've used the repeats, codas, etc and it took me about 15 minutes.

These are my observations from the exercise...

1. Performances are always linear and like an orchestra or a jazz group, etc., BIAB plays linearly from the start of the song to the end of the song. In this regard, BIAB is not like sheet music. As I see it, sheet music is a navigational, notational summary of a song while BIAB is the linear performance of a song.

2. Even when the different forms of repeats and partial repeats of a section are enabled in BIAB, BIAB still performs linearly. It's just that the display of the music is pulled together so that it represents sheet music format. This is what Dave is meaning.

If you haven't yet done so, I encourage you to open "Miles1 Tutorial (no repeats yet)" in BIAB and follow the instructions in the tutorial. After doing that, I think you'll see what I mean when you use the Fakesheet button as suggested in the tutorial.

To see how the 'insert bars' work, try this exercise...

1. Make sure that the Fakesheet mode is enabled by selecting the top option as shown below (that is, "Display chord sheet in fake sheet mode").

2. Start a new song (File | New). The chord sheet will be 32 bars long with C in bar 1.

3. Enter an 8-bar chord progression.

4. Right-click on bar 8, and select "Repeat/Codas/1st-2nd Endings".

5. Follow the 1, 2, 3, 4 on the image below.

6. After you've clicked on "Ok, Make Repeat" click on the "Fakesheet" button again and deactivate the top option "Display chord sheet in fake sheet mode".

What you'll now see is your original 8-bar chord pattern repeated in greyed-out bars 9 - 16. This is what BIAB will be playing once the song is generated. To this end, the process has automatically created the bars that BIAB will need for playback. For visual convenience, though, once the Fakesheet mode is enabled, the performance will take on the appearance of sheet music.

A number of different kinds of repeats can be defined in a single song.

Overall, what BIAB does is to take sheet-music-like instructions and convert them into performance-styled linear playback. The Fakesheet toggle allows the view to be in the style of sheet music or a linear performance. At the end of the day, just like Dave said, the same number of bars will be used whichever way you go.

Hope this helps.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186