Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Is there any way to get the "old" style picker window back in 2016?

I really tried to love the new style picker window, but I just never bonded with it.

I'm doing a new fake disk (Real Book Sixth Edition) and to match songs, I'm doing a lot of style 'browsing'.

For me it just isn't easy to browse styles with the new dialog. If the song search works, it's OK, but for the tunes in this book, few of the song titles bring up anything useful.

I can set the filters, and no matter how I set them, I get too many inappropriate genres of styles for the "Real Book" and if I try to test the styles on the song, it changes the tempo to the tempo of the style, not the song.

I'm sure it is better for some people, but I like the old one better.

Suggestion to Peter -- perhaps two buttons, one for the new and one for the old?

Thanks
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I just put a request in the Beta forum:

Is it possible to have a checkbox choice in Options for
TStylePickerDialog or TStylzDialog ?
Like: "Use Classic Style Picker"

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=351426

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=335583

C
Expert
Expert
C
I agree wholeheartedly with Notes!!!
Cecil

Veteran
Veteran
What the new StylePicker needs is the ability to create user categorization, which Peter mentioned was intended to be a feature of BIAB 2016.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
My vote for the ability to toggle between those two options

KR
SC

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
There isn't a way to get the old stylepicker back, but there is a way to change the two features that you mentioned that you don't like.

Changing the tempo is a setting in the options... Press the options button.

Showing a lot of styles can be solved by deselecting "show similar styles" checkbox.. Note that the styles are sorted from best to worst, so showing a lot isn't a bad thing, because you can just ignore the ones that are more styles than you want to see.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If you have other features that you liked, please mention them and I'll tell you how to do them, in the new stylepicker, or will add them to the features todo
list

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Yep...I've never really liked the "new and improved" style picker either.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"If you have other features that you liked, please mention them and I'll tell you how to do them..."

old dogs, new tricks ?

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Notes:

We've gone the rounds on the new StylePicker window in several other threads. I gave a couple of examples awhile back (can't find the thread at the moment) of how I thought the new StylePicker should work.

I think it's safe to say, there are a number of "old time" BIAB users who are less than enamoured with it. Perhaps it would be helpful if you could provide a specific example of what you tried, what the results were, and why they didn't meet your needs.

I recently tried to find a style for the "original" version of Kansas City. I ended up going back (as you have intimated) to the old StylePicker window to get what I wanted. (I keep an older version of BIAB on a separate machine, just for that purpose).

Good luck!
LLOYD S

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, I'm doing John Coltrane's "Mr. P.C."

Problem 1

I set the filters to
  • Jazz
  • 4/4
  • Sw8
  • Real
  • No Soloists

I unchecked "Include Similar" per Peter Gannon's suggestion and I get 3 styles _GYPSYJF, _GYPSYCN, and _GYPSYJD, none of which are appropriate.

I uncheck "Include Similar" and I get hundreds of styles including flok, bluegrass, country, soul, R&B, Funk, Lite Pop, Reggae, Celtic, Synth Pop, Blues, Latin, Modern Pop and more including hundreds of Ev8 styles (when the filter still says Sw8).

Even if I click the "Jazz" Genre heading, the fourth style is country, the 15th is Ev8 and so on.

Putting "Mr. P.C." in the familiar song dialog brings up the Gypsy Jazz first and no logical order to me underneath.

And what about songs that aren't in the database. There must be millions of them. Before "Mr. P.C." I did Pat Metheney's "Missouri Uncompromised" which turned up nothing.

"Miss Ann" brought up Little Richard, and nothing for Eric Dolphy.

"Minority" brought up Green Day, not Gigi Gryce

"Milano" turned up nothing, nor did "Midwestern Nights Dream (Metheny), "Midnight Mood" (Zawinul) and dozens of others.

Unless every song ever written is in the database, the search for song title is worthless.

Problem 2

So I scroll to jazz styles to find what I think might be a bop style and to test I want to click "Play Using Current Chordsheet For Song". This seems appropriate, but instead of the mm=256 for "Mr. P.C." it changes the tempo to 190 and I have to re-type 256 in the box to try it out. Same for all the the other styles.

With thousands of styles to choose from, this extra typing becomes a huge time sink (not to mention carpal tunnel bait).

For me, browsing the old style picker box was much better. On the other hand, I'm sure for others the new one is fine.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Notes:

I tried your "browse" with similar results and agree with your findings.
Another thing that is troubling to me is, the first style that comes up, _GYPSYJF, doesn't show "mr. p.c." as an "example" in the "memo" box in the bottom LH corner of the StylePicker window. (and in fact, it shows NO examples).

If you go to the next style in the list, _GYPSYCN, it shows "Examples:Sweet Georgia Brown, Minor Swing".

I would have thought there would have been a tighter correlation between the Styles and the Examples.

Did you have a MIDI style that you liked for this song? If so, did you try loading that, then see if there was a suggested RealTracks style replacement?

LLOYD S

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
[/quote]Problem 1

I set the filters to

Jazz
4/4
Sw8
Real
No Soloists

I unchecked "Include Similar" per Peter Gannon's suggestion and I get 3 styles _GYPSYJF, _GYPSYCN, and _GYPSYJD, none of which are appropriate.

Thank you for the detailed description. It may not be appropriate for the song you have in mind, but it did give you exactly what you asked for. It sounds like what you want to do is browse the styles like you used to in the old StylePicker, rather than use the filters. You can do this:

1. Make sure "include similar" is unchecked and press the Clear button if you have any filters on.
2. Select the category that you want to browse from the Category menu.
3. Browse the styles.

E.G. Selecting "Everything Jazz" is equivalent to choosing "Jazz[all]" in the old StylePicker. Does that help at all?

Quote:
I tried your "browse" with similar results and agree with your findings.
Another thing that is troubling to me is, the first style that comes up, _GYPSYJF, doesn't show "mr. p.c." as an "example" in the "memo" box in the bottom LH corner of the StylePicker window. (and in fact, it shows NO examples).

There are several thousand songs in the Song title database. We have not added all of those songs to specific style memos. In fact I wouldn't think Mr P.C. should go there as an example for that style. The song title helps you find a style that works for a given song. For many songs it IS a perfect match, in some cases it will just be the style that has similar characteristics.

Quote:
Unless every song ever written is in the database, the search for song title is worthless.

I disagree... maybe we are missing some popular songs, but we can easily continue to expand the database to fill in those gaps. The feature is more useful to some people than others. For myself, I find it quick and easy to think of a popular song that has the feel I'm after. Say, Superstition - I can just type that in, rather than having to know that I am looking for a style that is Even 16, 4/4, Funk, at a tempo of about 100bpm.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
Notes:
<...>

Did you have a MIDI style that you liked for this song? If so, did you try loading that, then see if there was a suggested RealTracks style replacement?

LLOYD S

Good idea Lloyd, but my favorite MIDI BeBop styles are Norton Music styles. Besides, I'm trying to do the Real Book with all Real Styles so loading MIDI styles will just slow down the process.

Notes

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for your quick response and suggestions Andrew

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
<...snip...> You can do this:

1. Make sure "include similar" is unchecked and press the Clear button if you have any filters on.
2. Select the category that you want to browse from the Category menu.
3. Browse the styles.

E.G. Selecting "Everything Jazz" is equivalent to choosing "Jazz[all]" in the old StylePicker. Does that help at all?

This went from too many to too few styles. Some of which are 3 variations of the same style. I actually only hear 2 styles with enough variations (change piano to guitar or organ, add drums, etc.) to make 10 variations of only 2 different styles. Neither one is appropriate for the song.

Are they the only Sw8, no solo, Real Jazz styles you have? I think you have more than that.

If I check "Include Similar" the list is full of country, lite pop, folk, Ev8, and so on.

Quote:
There are several thousand songs in the Song title database. We have not added all of those songs to specific style memos. In fact I wouldn't think Mr P.C. should go there as an example for that style. The song title helps you find a style that works for a given song. For many songs it IS a perfect match, in some cases it will just be the style that has similar characteristics.

But both my styles and PG music styles are also guilty of putting the wrong style in the memo. It comes from the early days when there were few styles to choose from. The best style for the song seemed to be ????????.sty at the time, it was closer than the others, but with all the better styles out there, it no longer works.

We all were willing to settle for less in the early days of BiaB, because it was the best we had. It still is the best we have, but it's gotten much better, we've been spoiled, and what we would settle for in the 1990s is no longer appropriate.

Quote:
Quote:

I disagree... maybe we are missing some popular songs, but we can easily continue to expand the database to fill in those gaps. The feature is more useful to some people than others. For myself, I find it quick and easy to think of a popular song that has the feel I'm after. Say, Superstition - I can just type that in, rather than having to know that I am looking for a style that is Even 16, 4/4, Funk, at a tempo of about 100bpm.

1) This doesn't work for a song I want to write myself. And isn't that a prime reason to use BiaB? Say I lay down a chord progression to a song in my head, and I want to try some funk styles for it, but I don't want it to sound like Superstition, or don't know exactly what I want it to sound like. I could browse the funk styles, and then perhaps figure maybe it would be better as an 8-beat and browse some more.

2) "The Real Book" is the most popular jazz book ever written. These songs don't show up; African Flower, Afro Blue, Afternoon In Paris, Agua De Beber, All By Myself, Alright Okay You Win, Always (Irving Berlin), Ana Maria, April Joy, Arise Her Eyes, Armageddon and that is just in the A's -- one shy of half the A's in the table of contents do not show up.

I have a reference book that lists the Top40 songs on the Billboard Rock charts from 1955 to 2000. Songs that made the Hot 100 but not top 40 are not there. Country chart songs aren't in there. AOR songs aren't there. R&B chart songs aren't there. Hit songs from the 21st century aren't there. Easy Listening chart songs aren't there. And yet there are over 10,000 titles in there (along with chart positions and other data).

You would need hundreds of thousands of songs in the database, and every year when new hit songs come out, the database should get revised.

There is more than one right way to do most anything. For others this may work. For me trying to (1) enter songs not in the database (2) browse different styles for chord progressions of other popular songs to write new melodies to and (3) trying to browse styles for a song I might write myself the new style picker window doesn't work nearly as good as the old one.

Any more hints to make it work for me would be appreciated though. Like I said, I'm really trying to bond with it and perhaps there is a secret I just don't know yet.

Notes

L
Veteran
Veteran
L

I'm having trouble understanding Andrew's statement:

"In fact I wouldn't think Mr P.C. should go there as an example for that style."

That is, he's saying, I think, that Mr P.C. should not be listed as an Example for the _GYPSYJF style. If that's the case, then why does that style show up at the top of the list as the "best" style to use?

Is the StylePicker saying, "this is the best style for that song, but it's not so good that we would use it as an 'example' of the song?"

I must be missing something here <grin>.
Someone please enlighten me.

LLOYD S

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
"Mr. P.C." should be a bop style with light drums, walking bass on both the A and B substyle, and McCoy Tyner style piano.

So far less than half the songs in "The Real Book Sixth Edition" have shown up in the suggestion box, and the majority of the ones that do appear there are inappropriate.

Perhaps as time goes on, and PG Music hears our difficulties with the new way, they will refine it to make it better for me and others that work like me.

PG has always been responsive to their customers needs. It's one reason why they are still here.

My suggestion to PG Music is to buy an off the shelf Fake Book, and make a Fake Disk out of it. This will let you know the frustrations we have.

My partner Leilani, who does most of the fake books reverted to an earlier version of BiaB. And she knows the styles so well, she heard a YouTube video yesterday and said, "Bob, come listen, they used one of your Polka styles" and sure enough, they did.

Notes

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
"Mr. P.C." should be a bop style with light drums, walking bass on both the A and B substyle, and McCoy Tyner style piano.

So far less than half the songs in "The Real Book Sixth Edition" have shown up in the suggestion box, and the majority of the ones that do appear there are inappropriate.

Perhaps as time goes on, and PG Music hears our difficulties with the new way, they will refine it to make it better for me and others that work like me.

Yes... but the problem you are describing is not solved by the old StylePicker - At least the new StylePicker has the *potential* to solve it, by us periodically revising and expanding the song title and style databases. In what way would the old StylePicker have made it easier to find a suitable style for Mr P.C.?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The filters in the old stylepicker are identical to the new one, though they are much harder to access in the Old one. The issue here Bob is the tempo of 256, which you've Input as a filter which eliminates almost all styles. Try a lower tempo, like 190 or no tempo at all as a filter. Then you'll see the list you want.

Here is a case that illustrates the flexibility of the new stylepicker vs the old one. If you input an out of range tempo, the old stylepicker would just show you those 3 styles. The new one will show the 3 styles, but if you select show similar styles, it will, after showing styles that perfectly match, then show styles that are the next best match which will be the ones you're looking for (ones that don't match your tempo filter).

I suspect that you're not using a filter in the old stylepicker, because it's time consuming to use. Is that the case?

Note that you can sort the list with MIDI styles at the top, bottom or not present at all, and same for real styles. This is a preference which sticks between sessions. This is not possible for the old Stylepicker, but was a request from users who preferred MIDI or Realstyles.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
))) Quote: Unless every song ever written is in the database, the search for song title is worthless.

There are about 10,000 songs in the database, and, no, that isn't every song ever written. Nor does it need to be. The idea is to input a real popular song, I'm sorry that "Mr PC" didn't make it, but keep in mind that we're adding to the database. Imdb.com doesn't have every movie ever written, and it's not "worthless".

Moreover, you don't need to use the search for titles feature to find a style. If I was looking for a jazz swing style, I would set the filters to jazz, swing, 8th notes (no tempo filter). Then sort by tempo by clicking on the column for tempo (you can't do this in the old stylepicker by the way, as no column sort exists). You'll now have jazz swing styles sorted by tempo, with Realstyles at the top, then MIDI styles (unless you have set to show MIDI styles first as in the message above this.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199