Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
Expert
I actually do like the new StylePicker but I also see lots of room for improvements.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I don't have that choice (OLD StylePicker ...)

I'm downloading the newest patch right now. Perhaps it's there???

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
In the menu code there is an "Old Stylepicker" I changed it to that but it still brings up the new style picker.
You will just have to tell them the new options you need the new picker to do.

object StylePopup: TPopupMenu
AutoPopup = True
Left = 63
Top = 648
object Stylepicker1: TMenuItem
Tag = 401
Caption = 'OLD StylePicker (browse all styles)...'
OnClick = Stylepicker1Click
end
object NewStylepickerbeta1: TMenuItem
Tag = 408
Caption = 'StylePicker...'
OnClick = NewStylepickerbeta1Click
end

I just upgraded to the newest version and there is no "Old StylePicker" selection. How did you do that?

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It is in the delphi code but not active so I changed it to show - I will have another look at it later and see if I can get it to bring up the Old TStylePickerDialog instead of the new TStylzDialog.

Expert
Expert
I hope this is possible

As I said previously if you try to make a Hybrid style and update the styles in there it comes up with the Old Style Picker - so it is there somewhere
jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"As I said previously if you try to make a Hybrid style and update the styles in there it comes up with the Old Style Picker..."

I went to File - StyleMaker - Make Hybrid style - .STY
that bought up the old Stylepicker, but on a re-build it don't find the new styles.
Old Stylepicker 4,484
New Stylepicker 4,901

They might update the Make Hybrid style to bring up the new stylepicker window.
But if you still want to use the old picker you can make up a hotkey with AutoHotKey to bring it up - copy the style name - open the new stylepicker - paste it in.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This will bring up the old Stylepicker quickly,
just extract the folder and run AutoHotKey64 or 32,
Ctrl+Win+S will bring it up, find the style you need,
copy the name from top right in Memo eg. "ROADHOG1.STY"
then paste in the new Stylepicker top left in "Filter String".

You can change the hotkey to suite:

;Old Stylepicker
~^#s:: ;This is the Hotkey Ctrl + Win + S

# Win (Windows logo key)
! Alt
^ Control
+ Shift

AutoHotKey_Old_Sylepicker.zip

Create a shortcut and move it to the Startup Menu to start with Windows,
just drag the shortcut to the Start Menu - All Programs - Startup.

To edit the hotkeys right click on the "H" running in the system tray - Edit - Save - right click "H" Reload.

Expert
Expert

In some ways I like the new style picker and agree that it could be improved
The reason I also like the old picker is not only that I have used it from the beginning but I can quickly find the style I require without setting up several filters before I can whittle down the total styles
each time I want pop-classical-jazz etc
Evem then on the new style picker it throws up styles that are only remotely in the catagory I need
I am, of course, getting used to it but it not as efficient for me
jazzman

another famous qoute - "just because its new, does not mean its better"

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The biggest problems I see with the new style picker are:

1) Not nearly as easy to browse the styles

2) Non-PG user styles don't show up well, not the ones you write nor aftermarket styles like mine (Norton), Hawkesford, Mayrent, Fine Tuned, and so on.

Peter Gannon says he is working on the second item, so when they figure it out, that will no longer be an issue (I can't wait, I get complaints almost weekly) and hopefully the staff at PG will also figure out how to browse easier.

There are some things I like about the new picker though. While it makes it more difficult to browse, there are some filters that make it easier to search. Hopefully they will also extend to the aftermarket styles when PG implements them into the mix.

Insights and incites by Notes+

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Bob,

If you put keywords in the memos of your aftermarket styles (.ls3 files) like the word Norton, then anyone typing Norton as a filter would see only your styles.

They would need to rebuild the styles list for this to take effect, and they should also first erase c:\bb\data\user_stylz.bin before running BBW and doing a rebuild. That way the new memos would show up.

------
as it stands now, people can already display only Norton styles: Select to display 'user styles' only. And then type # in the filter to see your Norton styles, since you name them all with # in the style name.

-----

Once they see a list of your Norton styles only, they can do all kinds of things not possible with the old stylepicker, such as:
- sorting the list by any column, forward or reverse
- seeing the list in discreet columns to begin with
- changing size of window
- change font size
- experience much faster operations as the list contents change as you type in a filter,
- rebuild the list up to 10X faster, since the styles don't need to get reloaded when rebuilding.
- select a filter such as a desired tempo, or feel, and this automatically does an "intelligent sort" that sorts from best to worst, for example sorted by closest to the tempo that you want, and is a swing 8ths style, and is country.
- type in a song title of a familiar song and seeing which Norton styles match it, sorted by best fit to worst.
- control the order that Realstyles are displayed compared to MIDI. For example, maybe you only want to see MIDI styles, or want to see them listed first, ahead of Realstyles. Or Vice versa (Realstyles only or Realstykes first).

The old stylepicker cannot do any of the above items.

It would be a major regression to lose all of those features (by reverting to the old stylepicker), when you can already accomplish what you want as described above.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
A big +1 for the New style picker, at first glace for any new user it looks simplified compared to the old one.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Peter!

Bob

C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: musiclover
A big +1 for the New style picker, at first glace for any new user it looks simplified compared to the old one.

+1 There is still room for improvements, but the new (flexible, searchable) style picker is, IMO, way better than the old one.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Peter,

Regarding putting Norton in the ls3 file, where should it go, in the Style Description (my guess).

There is already a # sign on all my style names, wouldn't that work as well?

And one more thing, how will it sort my styles into categories like rock, jazz, country, etc.?

Thanks,
Bob

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The user simply typing # would filter and find you styles, but it would also find any other style with a '#' in the memo or the RealDrums or Realtracks names,

There are a number of RealDrums that have # in the name, and a few of our MIDI styles have # in the memo. So the user would need to type # and only show user styles ( other menu - user styles ) . Otherwise he'd see a bunch of our styles mixed with your styles.

------
I'd recommend putting Norton into all of your ls3 files memos. That should be a simple search and replace on an ls3 file that would only take a few seconds for the whole file. Replace * with Norton* would add Norton to all of the memos, because * is the delimiter for the end of the memos.

If you wanted to put Norton2 Norton3 etc, then those search terms would work too. For example, Norton would find them all, and Norton1 would find a subset of them any search terms would work, and it includes partial text too.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks again.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

If you do update your ls3's - don't forget previous Norton customers that only have "old" ls3's grin

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Ditto what Larry said.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'll post the update at http://www.nortonmusic.com/support.html

Right now I'm stymied. Since I've written my last bunch of styles, I've gotten new computers and a new version of BiaB.

I remember that there used to be a "wizard" for making .ls3 files, where you just fill in the blanks, but I can't find it. Arrrrrggggghhhh (I hate when that happens) so I guess I'm going to have to do it in notepad.

Addition: I found it on an older version of BiaB (Thanks to BiaB chat). Now it's time to get to work

Bob

Last edited by Notes Norton; 08/29/16 01:29 PM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Revising the Norton .ls3 files to put the name Norton in them (instead of just in the category) is turning out to be a huge project. So many of my .ls3 file lines ran close to or up to the 250 character limit that simply changing the * to a * Norton screwed everything up. Fortunately I kept a copy of the old version.

So I have to go through every line of every .ls3, change and make sure it doesn't exceed the limit.

I'm about 3/4 through the first .ls3, giving it all the time I can, and even neglecting some other things that I should be more diligent about.

To add to that, my shopping cart has been purchased by Capital One so I am being forced to change the cgi code on hundreds of projects, and that causes problems with the new cart - back to development, back to tech help, back to me, try this instead. Fortunately they are keeping me on the old cart until all the problems have been solved.

The net result is this: Don't hold your breath waiting for the new .ls3 files that will let you put Norton in the 2016 StylePicker filter box. You'll have to use # for now and it may take a month or so for me to redo and test all the new .ls3 files.

But then, I won't have any time to be bored wink (Not that I know what boredom is).

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,589
Posts734,765
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191