Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#149195 - 02/01/12 06:23 PM FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

This is Song 1 of 14½ for the FAWM 2012 Songwriting Challenge. The Style is Country Rock With 12 String.

It is the instrument group loaded with the style, no changes. Songs will be done quickly to insure getting completed. After Fawm is over I will go back and work on any critiques. All tips and tricks are alway appreciated. It is all realtracks using BIAB 2012.

Bass=520 Elec Pop
Piano=690 B3 Organ Background
RD=Nashville Outlaw^10 SN ride
Gtr=1682 12 String Acoustic Fp
Strings=524 Acoustic Strum

One Drop Of Blood

Psalm 59:16
But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; For You have been my defense And refuge in the day of my trouble.

#149196 - 02/01/12 09:10 PM Re: FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock [Re: PgFantastic]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

I get an error with IE9...maybe Reverbnation is down right now ?

#149197 - 02/02/12 01:36 AM Re: FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock [Re: MitchC]
dcuny Offline
Expert

Nice! Even in it's "unpolished" state, it works quite well, which says a lot both for BiaB, the song and your singing.

The line "That's when I pointed to the cross..." is particularly nice in how it changes the rhythmic pattern.

The chorus works well, but I think a similar effect on the chorus on the line "One drop of blood/covered all my sin" to break the expected pattern would make it even more memorable.

On the second verse, "Satan will try" and "try to convince you" feel like a forced fit compared with the rest of the lyrics. Similarly, the break between "He seeks out" and "whom he may devour" sticks as being just a bit too unnatural.

This would be a great with a big gospel choir on the end chorus, especially if the choir was echoing the lyric, rather than singing with you. Maybe we'll get a "RealGospelChoir" in BiaB 2013?

Cutting the song at "Nothing but the blood of Jesus" would give a more dramatic ending.

The drums are too relentless for my taste. Obviously, working on builds and bringing things in and out (especially the drums). As you said, you just used the straight tracks, so there's lots of room for tweaks.

Thanks for posting!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#149198 - 02/02/12 09:35 PM Re: FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock [Re: dcuny]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Thanks dcuny for the comments. As soon as Fawm is over I will give your tips a whirl, thanks! MitchC thanks for attempting to listen.

But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; For You have been my defense And refuge in the day of my trouble.

#149199 - 02/02/12 09:41 PM Died To Set Them Free/ Gospel Rock [Re: PgFantastic]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Here is song 2 in the FAWM Challenge. I forgot to write down the instruments, I will try to list them tomorrow. They are all real tracks from biab 2012.

Died To Set Them Free

#149200 - 02/03/12 05:30 PM Re: Waitin' On The Shoe To Drop [Re: PgFantastic]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Song #3 of FAWM uses Real tracks.
Bass=701 Elec Pop half note ev 85
Gtr=365 Acoustic FP
RD= Nashville ev 8^5HIhat,ride
Gtr=362 Acoustic Strum

Waitin' On The Shoe To Drop

NOTE: Here are the realtracks I used for song 2 Died to set them Free, I forgot to add them before.

388 Bass
425 B3organ
Drums=Nashville ev 8^hihat0ride
499 Elec Rhy GTR
505 Elec Rhy

#149201 - 02/04/12 07:20 AM Re: Waitin' On The Shoe To Drop [Re: PgFantastic]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

Robert is it that time again, you are a song writing machine! Looks like you will make it in plenty of time this year. Love One Drop of Blood, that's as far as I have made it today back soon. Hope you have a BLESSED day !

#149202 - 02/04/12 02:06 PM Re: Waitin' On The Shoe To Drop [Re: Tommyc]
dcuny Offline
Expert

As noted, you're on a tear.

"Died to Set Them Free" is a straight ahead rocker. I like how you dropped everything but the drums. The last time around, I was thinking "It was unique the first time... I needs something different now, like someone witnessing..." and lo and behold, ask and you shall receive.

My only comment is that it the "Alleluia" vocals seem a bit restrained. Yeah, you won't hear me say that very often about your songs.

"Waiting for the Shoe to Drop" is nicely done - classic setup, and I love how the lyrics are turned around. But - for me - "It's been a month this Sunday" after that build isn't enough. Given how you've set this up, and how insidious a problem drinking can be, I need something more than that to "sell" me that the singer can start preaching to me.

But dang... you're a songwriting machine!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#149203 - 02/04/12 11:19 PM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: dcuny]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Here is song 4 in this years FAWM installment. I got the idea for the title from an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. The Instruments are

Bass 379 Elec Double Time
RD= Nashville Train EV16^1stksnr,stksnrR16
Gtr=Acoustic Strumming

(Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way

#149204 - 02/05/12 06:41 AM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: PgFantastic]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

Ha I laughed my behind off Robert, very funny song! Thanks for sharing it was a real hoot ! Hope you have a BLESSED SUNDAY Robert !

#149205 - 02/05/12 10:15 AM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: Tommyc]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Robert, that's such a clever idea for a song - well put together and I really did laugh out loud! Well done!
Sonar X3e Producer
Studio One Professional V2 2.6

#149206 - 02/05/12 12:36 PM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: Skyline]
Brallan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Los Angeles, CA.
Very funny! Glad you decided to speak the lyric vs. singing... funnier.

I hope it's not a true story, but if so, I would recommend shopping online, rather than the mall.

Cheers! See you on FAWM.

#149207 - 02/05/12 06:58 PM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: Brallan]
rsdean Offline
Expert

Loc: New York
Robert,

You are a songwriting machine! Great job on these...

Bob

#149208 - 02/06/12 07:07 AM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: rsdean]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Thanks dcuny, Tommyc, Skyline, Brallan, rsdean for the feedback. I appreciate all of your feedback and suggestions. Thanks to all who have gave the songs a listen. Brallan loved the shopping on line comment, LOL.

My Music

#149209 - 02/06/12 11:17 AM Re: FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock [Re: PgFantastic]
Tano Music Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I'm glad to learn about FAWM...I think I'm going to do it! Starting on 2/6 means I'll have a really short month!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Ron Carter - Performs December 4th!

Ron Carter & His Trio are performing as part of the Jazz Giants Series in Palo Alto, CA on December 4th!

Click here for more information about this event.

Video Support Pages - Band-in-a-Box Tips & Tricks and More!

Whether you're looking for a video demonstration of Band-in-a-Box or Tips & Tricks for all those features, there's a video for you!
Visit our Video Support Page to see all the videos we have to offer!

These are also available on our YouTube Channel.

Stay in Touch With Us on Facebook and Twitter!

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter and you'll be the first to know about specials, new releases, contests and other exciting PG Music Inc. announcements!

Video - How to Search for and Replace Chords in Band-in-a-Box

If you're looking for some tips on how to quickly replace specific chords or chord types with other chords in Band-in-a-Box, make sure you watch this video: http://youtu.be/XR1YTaKU8QA

Share Your Songs on Our User Showcase Forum!

Have you created a song using Band-in-a-Box, RealBand or PowerTracks Pro Audio? Share it on our User Showcase Forum - that way all of our Forum Users can enjoy your song!

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows - 13 Languages Available!

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows is available in thirteen different languages!

Select the following page for a complete list of the translations available: http://www.bandinabox.com

Do you have the English version and would prefer a different language? Contact us with your request!

RealTracks Artist Artist Gary Smulyan December Performances

Gary Smulyan has some upcoming performances for December!
Dec 1: New Brunswick, NJ
Dec 2: Northampton, MA
Dec 5: Concert with Phill Woods at Syracuse University
Dec 6: Auburn, NY

Visit http://garysmulyan.com and click on tour for more information.

Forum Stats
22265 Members
38 Forums
30960 Topics
246379 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 12:12 PM
Newest Members
bubbawny, ijklmn266862, Phineas, bop, darchtop

22264 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pat Marr 163
seeker 136