Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#149195 - 02/01/12 06:23 PM FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
This is Song 1 of 14½ for the FAWM 2012 Songwriting Challenge. The Style is Country Rock With 12 String.

It is the instrument group loaded with the style, no changes. Songs will be done quickly to insure getting completed. After Fawm is over I will go back and work on any critiques. All tips and tricks are alway appreciated. It is all realtracks using BIAB 2012.

Bass=520 Elec Pop
Piano=690 B3 Organ Background
RD=Nashville Outlaw^10 SN ride
Gtr=1682 12 String Acoustic Fp
Strings=524 Acoustic Strum

One Drop Of Blood

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#149196 - 02/01/12 09:10 PM Re: FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock [Re: PgFantastic]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

I get an error with IE9...maybe Reverbnation is down right now ?

#149197 - 02/02/12 01:36 AM Re: FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock [Re: MitchC]
dcuny Offline
Expert

Nice! Even in it's "unpolished" state, it works quite well, which says a lot both for BiaB, the song and your singing.

The line "That's when I pointed to the cross..." is particularly nice in how it changes the rhythmic pattern.

The chorus works well, but I think a similar effect on the chorus on the line "One drop of blood/covered all my sin" to break the expected pattern would make it even more memorable.

On the second verse, "Satan will try" and "try to convince you" feel like a forced fit compared with the rest of the lyrics. Similarly, the break between "He seeks out" and "whom he may devour" sticks as being just a bit too unnatural.

This would be a great with a big gospel choir on the end chorus, especially if the choir was echoing the lyric, rather than singing with you. Maybe we'll get a "RealGospelChoir" in BiaB 2013?

Cutting the song at "Nothing but the blood of Jesus" would give a more dramatic ending.

The drums are too relentless for my taste. Obviously, working on builds and bringing things in and out (especially the drums). As you said, you just used the straight tracks, so there's lots of room for tweaks.

Thanks for posting!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#149198 - 02/02/12 09:35 PM Re: FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock [Re: dcuny]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Thanks dcuny for the comments. As soon as Fawm is over I will give your tips a whirl, thanks! MitchC thanks for attempting to listen.

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#149199 - 02/02/12 09:41 PM Died To Set Them Free/ Gospel Rock [Re: PgFantastic]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Here is song 2 in the FAWM Challenge. I forgot to write down the instruments, I will try to list them tomorrow. They are all real tracks from biab 2012.

Died To Set Them Free

#149200 - 02/03/12 05:30 PM Re: Waitin' On The Shoe To Drop [Re: PgFantastic]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Song #3 of FAWM uses Real tracks.
Bass=701 Elec Pop half note ev 85
Gtr=365 Acoustic FP
RD= Nashville ev 8^5HIhat,ride
Gtr=362 Acoustic Strum

Waitin' On The Shoe To Drop

NOTE: Here are the realtracks I used for song 2 Died to set them Free, I forgot to add them before.

388 Bass
425 B3organ
Drums=Nashville ev 8^hihat0ride
499 Elec Rhy GTR
505 Elec Rhy

#149201 - 02/04/12 07:20 AM Re: Waitin' On The Shoe To Drop [Re: PgFantastic]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Robert is it that time again, you are a song writing machine! Looks like you will make it in plenty of time this year. Love One Drop of Blood, that's as far as I have made it today back soon. Hope you have a BLESSED day !

#149202 - 02/04/12 02:06 PM Re: Waitin' On The Shoe To Drop [Re: Tommyc]
dcuny Offline
Expert

As noted, you're on a tear.

"Died to Set Them Free" is a straight ahead rocker. I like how you dropped everything but the drums. The last time around, I was thinking "It was unique the first time... I needs something different now, like someone witnessing..." and lo and behold, ask and you shall receive.

My only comment is that it the "Alleluia" vocals seem a bit restrained. Yeah, you won't hear me say that very often about your songs.

"Waiting for the Shoe to Drop" is nicely done - classic setup, and I love how the lyrics are turned around. But - for me - "It's been a month this Sunday" after that build isn't enough. Given how you've set this up, and how insidious a problem drinking can be, I need something more than that to "sell" me that the singer can start preaching to me.

But dang... you're a songwriting machine!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#149203 - 02/04/12 11:19 PM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: dcuny]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Here is song 4 in this years FAWM installment. I got the idea for the title from an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. The Instruments are

Bass 379 Elec Double Time
RD= Nashville Train EV16^1stksnr,stksnrR16
Gtr=Acoustic Strumming

(Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way

#149204 - 02/05/12 06:41 AM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: PgFantastic]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Ha I laughed my behind off Robert, very funny song! Thanks for sharing it was a real hoot ! Hope you have a BLESSED SUNDAY Robert !

#149205 - 02/05/12 10:15 AM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: Tommyc]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Robert, that's such a clever idea for a song - well put together and I really did laugh out loud! Well done!
Band
BIAB 2016 Build 437
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 3

#149206 - 02/05/12 12:36 PM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: Skyline]
Brallan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Los Angeles, CA.
Very funny! Glad you decided to speak the lyric vs. singing... funnier.

I hope it's not a true story, but if so, I would recommend shopping online, rather than the mall.

Cheers! See you on FAWM.

#149207 - 02/05/12 06:58 PM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: Brallan]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Robert,

You are a songwriting machine! Great job on these...

Bob

#149208 - 02/06/12 07:07 AM Re: (Mom Still Takes My Temperature) The Old Fashion Way [Re: rsdean]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Thanks dcuny, Tommyc, Skyline, Brallan, rsdean for the feedback. I appreciate all of your feedback and suggestions. Thanks to all who have gave the songs a listen. Brallan loved the shopping on line comment, LOL.

My Music

#149209 - 02/06/12 11:17 AM Re: FAWM 2012/ One Drop Of Blood=Gospel Ctry Rock [Re: PgFantastic]
Tano Music Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I'm glad to learn about FAWM...I think I'm going to do it! Starting on 2/6 means I'll have a really short month!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Major VST Support, Hi-Q Instruments, and More Added in the Band-in-a-Box 2016 for Mac Build 143 Update!

This update is free for Band-in-a-Box 2016 users, and adds significant features; AU (audio unit) and VST plugins are now supported, we've added Hi-Q MIDI instruments, and more! Download the Band-in-a-Box 2016 Build 143 update.

There is also a plugins installer which you should download in addition to the new build. Download the MIDI and Audio Plugins installer here.

Summary of changes for build 143 (since build 132) (Sept 28, 2016):

Added: AU and VST plugins are now supported. There is a new Plugins tab on the Mixer window, that allows you to add/edit MIDI or audio plugins on each track. We include the Sforzando VST sample player, along with the PG Music HiQ Instruments.
Added: HiQ instruments have been added. These are high quality MIDI sounds that make the MIDI tracks (both regular and MIDI SuperTracks) sound much better. You can audition and choose a HiQ patch for any track by control+clicking on the track --> "Select HiQ MIDI Patch".
Added: Sforzando is a .sfz sample player made by Plogue that has been customized for Band-in-a-Box and is used to play the HiQ Instrument sounds.
Added: We include AmpliTube, which is a VST Guitar Amp Simulator, and can be used effectively with the Direct Input RealTracks.
Added: A Plugins Options dialog includes an option to scan for VST plugins on bootup and options for how plugin windows are opened, closed, and arranged on the screen. Plugins that are essential to Band-in-a-Box (eg the "Apple: DLSMusicDevice" or "Sforzando") are scanned for regardless of the "Scan for VST plugins on bootup" or "Scan for AU plugins on bootup" settings.
Fixed: StylePicker Options dialog was stuck behind the StylePicker dialog.
Fixed: Opening the lead sheet would cause Band-in-a-Box to crash if the current song had bar-based lyrics.
Fixed: Rendering a video of the chordsheet would sometimes make a corrupt file (eg. no audio can be heard, and the playback is sporadic).
Fixed: When "Display C9sus as C11", "Display 2 as sus2, or "Display sus as sus4 was enabled, it was not possible to enter the chord by typing or using the Chord Builder.
Fixed: There were some inconsistencies in color between the mixer and track radio controls.

Discuss Your Methods & Gear for Making Music on Our Forum!

If you frequent our forums, you might be familiar with our Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production forum, which is an ideal place to post discussions about methods and gear for making music!

Whether you have questions about installing other music software, are looking for resources to help with production etc., came across some great information or free plug-ins you'd like to share, etc. - this forum is perfect for sharing!

Recent posts to this forum include:
Garritan install
Confused as Heck About LUFS
Article - 6 Chord Tricks For Songwriters
Learning Notation Function
...and more!

You'll even find posts here from our PG Music Team - like the recent post by Kent: Ethan Winer's Audio Myths workshop!

Xtra Styles Contest - 2 Days Left!

There are now almost 60 different songs entered in our Xtra Styles Contest!

The contest is open for submission until midnight September 30, 2016 - submit your song before then for a chance to WIN 1 of 4 prizes of $150 PG Bucks!

Listen to the songs already submitted here: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=91

Learn more about the Xtra Styles purchase options (we're still having our sale until Sept 30th!) here: www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php.

#TipTuesday Band-in-a-Box for Windows Keystroke Commands

Speed up your song creation when you use Keystroke Commands in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

For example, here are the commands for switching between the different Windows in Band-in-a-Box®:
Ctrl+W Toggle Notation and Chord Sheet windows.
Ctrl+O Movable Notation window.
Alt+W Lead Sheet window.
Ctrl+T Display Notation screen or Chord Sheet in full screen.
Ctrl+~ Conductor window.
Ctrl+Shift+A Audio Edit window.
Ctrl+Shift+D Drum Kit window.
Ctrl+Shift+G Guitar window.
Ctrl+Shift+J Ear training window.
Ctrl+Shift+L Big Lyrics window.
Ctrl+Shift+M Mixer Window
Ctrl+Shift+N Big Piano window.
Ctrl+Shift+S Plug-in mode for DAW.
Alt+Shift+L Practice window.
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+L Lyric Document window.

....and that's just a taste!

You'll find the complete list is available within the Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Windows program manual PDF. You can also view it here.

Informative Joanne Cooper Blog Post! 6 Simple Steps... #TipTuesday!

Joanne Cooper is a long time Band-in-a-Box user, and has been a member of our forum for years! We've all listened to the many songs she's shared (and loved every single one of them!), and many of our Forum members have also tuned in to her performances on Street Jelly!

Joanne has her own website, www.joannecooper.co.za/home, where you can listen to her music, watch some videos, scroll through photos, and more! She also shares her blog on this site, which has most recently been updated with the posting 6 simple steps to make cool backing tracks for popular cover songs using Band-in-a-Box.

Read through this informative Blog posting and you'll learn how she creates her backing tracks while using Band-in-a-Box!

Joanne has also created a Band-in-a-Box Video Testimonial, which can be viewed here.

Thank you Joanne for writing this blog post & sharing it with us!

Listen to Songs from other Band-in-a-Box Users on Our Forums! #MondayMotivation

If you're looking for some motivation to help you get started writing songs using Band-in-a-Box, pop in to our User Showcase Forum or the Xtra Styles Contest forum... both of these pages are loaded with songs other users have created with Band-in-a-Box (or other PG Music software).

When you've created your own song, feel free to share it on our User Showcase Forum, where you will also receive feedback from other forum members.

The Xtra Styles Special - There's Still Time!

There's still time to add over 160 professionally mixed RealStyles included in the new Xtra Styles PAKs for the introductory price of $29!

That's right - our Xtra Styles Special is going strong, but time is running out! Until September 30, 2016 you can purchase the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 for just $29 (reg. $49).
www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php

The Xtra Styles PAKs require the RealTracks and RealDrums included in your Band-in-a-Box® 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition. A handful of these new RealStyles use RealTracks from the 2016 49-PAK. If you don't have the 2016 49-PAK, there is a special purchase option: the "All Xtra Styles PAK 1 & 2016 49-PAK Bundle" for just $49! Note: This package is only available until September 30th.

Once you've added the Xtra Styles PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® collection, create an original song using one of the 164 RealStyles included and enter it in our Xtra Styles Contest!
There are four prizes of $150 "PG Bucks" to be won - one for each genre: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter! Entries can be submitted until midnight September 30, 2016. Click here for complete contest details.

Add versatility and a modern flair to your current RealTracks and RealDrums library with Xtra Styles PAKs!

Forum Stats
25181 Members
45 Forums
41414 Topics
332211 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
lrzed, fretchen, Dave Baay, Scott Williams, Ariful123

25180 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 244
David Snyder 201