Index
#149436 - 02/03/12 12:10 PM Focusrite VRM Box
Mick Emery Offline
Expert

Loc: Needmore, PA, USA

#149437 - 02/03/12 01:18 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: Mick Emery]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

First I'm hearing about this. Sounds interesting ! Curious about the hook-up and compatibility with various interfaces etc.

Another review / demo of the VRM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXImtMhIWY

...for those looking for price, Amazon has it for 82.98:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view-upsel...43SQXEUU9FA%2C1

#149438 - 02/03/12 01:29 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: MitchC]
90 dB Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida
That really looks interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob

#149439 - 02/03/12 01:48 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: 90 dB]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

What the heck...for a guy who mixes exclusively with phones, for $83 and free returns, I'm in ! Thanks for pointing out this unit !

#149440 - 02/03/12 02:28 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: MitchC]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, New York an...
I have it. It does work as advertised; there is a considerable difference in the various models provided. For someone who must mix using headphones, this would be very helpful.

#149441 - 02/03/12 02:38 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: Matt Finley]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

Good to know Matt. Thanks for the confirmation !

So where does it hook up ? I have a Tascam US-144mkII (has S/PDIF in/out). Would I go spdif out of the Tascam to the in of the VRM ? Does the VRM also need power from a USB port.. Headphones into the VRM... can still use rca outs of the Tascam to my Logitech speaker system ?

I'll find out soon enough but would be good to know I'll be able to use it with my current set-up.

#149442 - 02/03/12 02:46 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: Matt Finley]
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Loc: <----- behind here
Please.

Your actual environment is going to color your sound even if you are listening through this box. The dude in the video even admits that your mileage may vary depending on the quality of phones you use.

This is just eq folks. Speaker modeling is not exactly new tech.

There is no way your 500$ laptop and an 60$ pair of phones is going to sound like a professional studio.... even if you add an 80$ box to the mix.

#149443 - 02/03/12 02:50 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: PRearden]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

Noted. But please... I'll trust Matt's opinion on this if you don't mind.

Sony MDR-7520's here BTW.

#149444 - 02/03/12 03:13 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: MitchC]
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

Good to know Matt. Thanks for the confirmation !

So where does it hook up ? I have a Tascam US-144mkII (has S/PDIF in/out). Would I go spdif out of the Tascam to the in of the VRM ? Does the VRM also need power from a USB port.. Headphones into the VRM... can still use rca outs of the Tascam to my Logitech speaker system ?

It plugs into a USB port and acts as a separate out from your 'puter. It will likely sound worlds better than ur Tascam... they don't exactly build high-end equipment.

Here is a link to the Owner's Manual

http://www.tufts.edu/programs/mma/mrap/VRM%20Box-User%20Guide.pdf

#149445 - 02/03/12 03:35 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: PRearden]
dcuny Offline
Expert

It looks interesting. But it doesn't simulate the most critical listening environment: my car.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#149446 - 02/03/12 04:30 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: dcuny]
Mick Emery Offline
Expert

Loc: Needmore, PA, USA
I don't know that I would necessarily mix with it...but to reference the mix under different simulated conditions, things might "pop out" that needed to be fixed. (Rather than making a CD, going to my car, then to my home stereo etc.)

#149447 - 02/03/12 05:15 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: Mick Emery]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, New York an...
PReardon is correct about the hookup.

Mick has the right idea about using this. I would never recommend someone use only headphones for mixing. However, for checking a mix, headphones are a necessity (particularly for the stereo imaging) and one of the benefits of this equipment is the ability to try different approximations of monitors. Of course it isn't going to replace the real thing, but that doesn't mean it can't be useful. And we are talking about a comparison to Logitech computer speakers, not studio monitors, unless I missed some detail.

I like David's point, since one must always test a mix in the car, too. Listen to a bass solo disappear, for example. No monitor or headphone can simulate that.

The knock on some Tascam equipment may be justified, and I'm no fan of their customer service, but there is nothing low end about my Tascam FW-1884.

#149448 - 02/03/12 05:35 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: Matt Finley]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

I look at this piece of gear like any other... it's just a tool. It has a certain function that in my environment will be a plus. Different speaker models to run a mix through. Some models will reveal what other's don't. An advantage I don't currently have.

Gave up my prized Dynaudio speakers when I dissolved the home studio, so now it's more a 'serious enthusiast' approach vs pro quality production gear.

As for interfaces, I had the M-Audio Fast Track, FT Pro and both, while OK, caused more than enough crashes, access violations etc with BIAB / RealBand. While on a support call with PG Music, they mentioned having great results with the Tascam. Got the US-144mkII and it's been stable as a rock, and the sound quality is very nice. Also have the Focusrite Saffire 6 which has fairly good mic pres for a low cost unit, and overall good quality.

Had to get a USB Hub though as I'm all filled up.

Looking forward to getting the VRM. Will report on it when it arrives and I've had time to play with it awhile.

#149449 - 02/03/12 06:04 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: Matt Finley]
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

The knock on some Tascam equipment may be justified, and I'm no fan of their customer service, but there is nothing low end about my Tascam FW-1884.

The "knock" was from experience. I own the Tascam US-144 <the older silver version>. I use it for "field" recordings. As I remember, several here use this unit -- it was cheap. It produces recordings I would classify as good <I've even captured some stuff that I'd say was of excellent quality <and with a cheapo MXL mic>>.

However, the unit sucks for monitoring as it introduces a buzz. I returned two to B&H before deciding it was just a design flaw and I'd live with it -- I didn't buy it to monitor. Also, the headphone amp is VERY sub-standard -- even cranked all the way up it is difficult to hear in moderately loud environs like between sets.

The Focusrite is bound to be much better for reference monitoring and perhaps even mixing than the US-144.

#149450 - 02/03/12 06:08 PM Re: Focusrite VRM Box [Re: PRearden]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

My US-144mkII has no buzz whatsoever. And the ASIO drivers allow BIAB / RealBand, Windows Media Player all open at the same time...and no crashes ! Unlike any other low cost interface I've owned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box Facebook Contest!!

Like us on Facebook before October 1, 2014 for a chance to win a Band-in-a-Box EverythingPAK! Click here to enter

RealTracks Artist Stuart Duncan - October Performances

RealTracks Artist Stuart Duncan can be seen this October on tour with Noam Pikelny! This Banjo and Fiddle Duo will be playing in North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York and Kentucky!

Click here for event information and show dates.

Video - Band-in-a-Box: Part Markers How-to

Watch this video to learn how to control when Band-in-a-Box plays "A" or "B" substyles, drum fills, and different drum grooves: http://youtu.be/C6ViJ2691vU

RealTracks Artist Jeff Lorber Takes the Stage September 25th!

Watch The Jazz Funk Soul Tour with RealTracks Artist Jeff Lorber, Everette Harp and Chuck Loeb on Thursday, September 25, 2014!

To learn more about this performance being held at the Highline Ballroom in New York, click here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box Chord Shortcuts

Entering Chords in Band-in-a-Box is easy!

Use these simple shortcuts in this YouTube Video to enter chords for your Band-in-a-Box song! You'll also learn how to create your own custom shortcuts!

A Look Back - Band-in-a-Box Version 12

Band-in-a-Box 12 for Windows was released in December 2002 - here are just a few of the New Features for Version 12:
✔ “Twice as many instruments” with GM2 support
✔ Separate Notation Track for each Harmony Voice
✔ Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Ukulele and Bass fretboard display
✔ Guitar Chord Diagrams in Jazz, Pop or Folk voicings
✔ Jazz Music Fonts for Notes, Symbols, Chords and Titles
✔ Multiple Tracks of Notation
✔ Section Text and Boxed Text – add custom text messages at any position in the notation track
✔ “Direct-to-Disk” Audio Rendering – converting a song to audio format in seconds
...and more!

Click here to see the Band-in-a-Box 12 info sheet!

This Saturday - THE TIME JUMPERS with Vince Gill, Dawn Sears, and Kenny Sears!

There are still some tickets left for THE TIME JUMPERS featuring Vince Gill, Dawn Sears, and (RealTracks Artist) Kenny Sears show this Saturday at The Arcada Theatre in St Charles, IL!

Click here for event information.

Forum Stats
22016 Members
38 Forums
30109 Topics
239652 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
abcdef879353, cees.weterings, tuvwxy946374, aaleyahjohn, charpina62

22015 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 120