You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#150375 - 02/12/12 02:37 AM not quite sure on the mix yet...
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: planet Earth
Howdy all

I love Brent Mason's Country Ballad playin' and I wanted to capture some of it in an instrumental tune. But it proved to be more difficult (for me at least as an amateur) while mixing than I anticipated at first. The guitar solo varies in loudness and I wanted to preserve these natural dynamics while taming some of the fast transients on the attack on higher notes.

There are quite a number of plug-ins on the single tracks, mainly compressors, delays and tape emulations. On the 2bus I deployed (lightly) a master-compressor and a master tape emulation and a second final brickwall limiter set to -0.3 db which should be enough headroom to catch any intersample peaks and leave some space for converting wav to mp3 (192 kBit/sec in this instance).

I also always want to check the arrangements for mono compatibility. This is quite important so I'm told, but it doesn't make things easyier when creating a wide stereo field with one instrument or an instrument group (there's some slight pseudo stereo on the guitar and pedal steel).

I'm in a somewhat difficult mixing environment (no, not bedroom - but dining room table) with terrible accoustics. As usual, it's work in progress..

Daniel

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipriv&trackid=58280

Title: Eternal Dream
Key=G , Tempo 65
Style is _BRSOLCB.STY (CountryBallad BrentGtSolo [65RS])
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1538:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveHeld Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: ~368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~688:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~369:Pedal Steel, Background Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1671:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryPaul Ev 60
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

#150376 - 02/12/12 05:42 AM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: deltagolf]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

Sounds like good mixing to me, but I'm using headphones early Sunday morning. Maybe your table isn't so bad a environment.

#150377 - 02/12/12 06:14 AM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: Tommyc]
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Daniel

I'm no expert in any way, but I can tell you what I hear.
Generally it's a nice listen. Mixing wise - my first thought was that the organ was a bit dominant, stealing the space for the other instruments. Also generally it seems that some of the instrumets are competing for the same frequency range - could have something to do with the (high) number of instruments used.
I would think that the mix could be even more "clear" by working further with EQ^ing and panning of the instruments that operates in the same range.

Just my 2 kroner

brgds
Jan R

#150378 - 02/12/12 08:31 AM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: Jan Romanoff]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Tommyc, I'll keep the Table ;-)

Jan, you're Spot on! I just had a chance to listen to it for the first time in the car and I'm less than thrilled. It's too crowded and the Hammond is too loud! Bass weak and flat. Thank you for your valuable Inputs. I shall re-mix with some different comression settings and try to bring in some air.
Feeds, Daniel

#150379 - 02/12/12 08:41 AM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: deltagolf]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

"Feeds" should read Cheers. I'm on the road and this stupid iPhone constantly keeps changin the spelling! Can't edit either...

#150380 - 02/13/12 04:49 AM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: deltagolf]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Daniel,

Sounds good to me, but I am out of town, listening on a friend's computer, so I am not that used to the speakers. (They are generally pretty flattering.) I will try to give it another listen in a couple days when I get home.

BTW, I use an iPhone too, and I hate the spell correct!

Steve

#150381 - 02/13/12 06:32 AM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: Steve Young]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Steve.

Thanks for your comment. I did some re-mixing and used an amp simulation for the lead. Drums are more subtle and the rest a bit more airy.

Daniel

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipriv&trackid=58300

#150382 - 02/13/12 03:48 PM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: Jan Romanoff]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Quote:

Daniel

I'm no expert in any way, but I can tell you what I hear.
Generally it's a nice listen. Mixing wise - my first thought was that the organ was a bit dominant, stealing the space for the other instruments. Also generally it seems that some of the instrumets are competing for the same frequency range - could have something to do with the (high) number of instruments used.
I would think that the mix could be even more "clear" by working further with EQ^ing and panning of the instruments that operates in the same range.

Just my 2 kroner

brgds
Jan R

I also no expert but I agree with Jan R on this one.

You might also try eliminating some of the rhythm instruments during different leads. For instance do you need both the organ and steel playing behind the lead guitar? Or the rhythm guitar and organ playing behind the steel leads? Just a thought but fading rhythm instruments in and out during different leads would help eliminate overlapping frequencies.

Just my opinions, now worth nothing in USD!

#150383 - 02/14/12 12:04 AM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: MarioD]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you MarioD

That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. Helpful suggestions and honest opinions. (They're more worth to me than only USD ;-)
Cheers, Daniel

#150384 - 02/14/12 08:54 AM Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: deltagolf]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Sounds good here. Thanks 4 sharing!

My Music

Psalm 59:16
But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; For You have been my defense And refuge in the day of my trouble.

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Sign-up for the PG Music Inc. Newsletter

Sign up for the PG Music Inc. newsletter and you'll receive notifications for new versions of Band-in-a-Box, as well as any other new products we release!

We Have Over 100 RealTracks Artists!

The popular RealTracks feature within Band-in-a-Box brings an exciting human element to your arrangement by adding REAL instruments played by TOP MUSICIANS!
Click here for a full list of the RealTracks Artists available.

RealTracks replace the MIDI track for that instrument, and can be controlled just like the MIDI instrument (volume changes, muting etc.). They follow the chord progression that you have entered, so you hear an authentic audio accompaniment or solo!

RealTracks Artist Rebeca Mauleón - Upcoming Appearance!

Rebeca Mauleón joins Carlos Del Puerto, Jesús Diaz and Carlos Caro this Saturday, July 26th for the "Master Class: Inside the Cuban Rhythm Section w/ Carlos Del Puerto" event at the SFJAZZ Center in San Francisco!
Click here for more information.

Purchase Site Licenses and LabPAKs for Band-in-a-Box!

Interested in purchasing Band-in-a-Box to use in your school? We offer special pricing when purchasing five or more installations! Click here to see the options available.

Share your UserTracks on our Forum!

An exciting new features of Band-in-a-Box 2014 is the ability to make UserTracks, which can be used just like any RealTracks!

We've created a tutorial to help you get started with UserTracks: Make a Band-in-a-Box UserTrack in under 10 minutes!

Once you've finished, feel free to share your creation on our UserTracks Forum.

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows - 13 Languages Available!

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows is available in thirteen different languages!

Select the following page for a complete list of the translations available: http://www.bandinabox.com

Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows Patch Update Available

Do you own Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Windows? Make sure to download the latest patch update 384!

Forum Stats
22447 Members
38 Forums
29455 Topics
234125 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
defghi036424, lmnopq432772, nichealmond23, René 1946, Khatru

22446 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
dani48 91
Guitarhacker 90