You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#150375 - 02/12/12 05:37 AM [User Showcase] not quite sure on the mix yet...
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: planet Earth
Howdy all

I love Brent Mason's Country Ballad playin' and I wanted to capture some of it in an instrumental tune. But it proved to be more difficult (for me at least as an amateur) while mixing than I anticipated at first. The guitar solo varies in loudness and I wanted to preserve these natural dynamics while taming some of the fast transients on the attack on higher notes.

There are quite a number of plug-ins on the single tracks, mainly compressors, delays and tape emulations. On the 2bus I deployed (lightly) a master-compressor and a master tape emulation and a second final brickwall limiter set to -0.3 db which should be enough headroom to catch any intersample peaks and leave some space for converting wav to mp3 (192 kBit/sec in this instance).

I also always want to check the arrangements for mono compatibility. This is quite important so I'm told, but it doesn't make things easyier when creating a wide stereo field with one instrument or an instrument group (there's some slight pseudo stereo on the guitar and pedal steel).

I'm in a somewhat difficult mixing environment (no, not bedroom - but dining room table) with terrible accoustics. As usual, it's work in progress..

Daniel

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipriv&trackid=58280

Title: Eternal Dream
Key=G , Tempo 65
Style is _BRSOLCB.STY (CountryBallad BrentGtSolo [65RS])
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1538:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveHeld Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: ~368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~688:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~369:Pedal Steel, Background Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1671:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryPaul Ev 60
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

#150376 - 02/12/12 08:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: deltagolf]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Sounds like good mixing to me, but I'm using headphones early Sunday morning. Maybe your table isn't so bad a environment.

#150377 - 02/12/12 09:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: Tommyc]
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Daniel

I'm no expert in any way, but I can tell you what I hear.
Generally it's a nice listen. Mixing wise - my first thought was that the organ was a bit dominant, stealing the space for the other instruments. Also generally it seems that some of the instrumets are competing for the same frequency range - could have something to do with the (high) number of instruments used.
I would think that the mix could be even more "clear" by working further with EQ^ing and panning of the instruments that operates in the same range.

Just my 2 kroner

brgds
Jan R

#150378 - 02/12/12 11:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: Jan Romanoff]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Tommyc, I'll keep the Table ;-)

Jan, you're Spot on! I just had a chance to listen to it for the first time in the car and I'm less than thrilled. It's too crowded and the Hammond is too loud! Bass weak and flat. Thank you for your valuable Inputs. I shall re-mix with some different comression settings and try to bring in some air.
Feeds, Daniel

#150379 - 02/12/12 11:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: deltagolf]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

"Feeds" should read Cheers. I'm on the road and this stupid iPhone constantly keeps changin the spelling! Can't edit either...

#150380 - 02/13/12 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: deltagolf]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Daniel,

Sounds good to me, but I am out of town, listening on a friend's computer, so I am not that used to the speakers. (They are generally pretty flattering.) I will try to give it another listen in a couple days when I get home.

BTW, I use an iPhone too, and I hate the spell correct!

Steve

#150381 - 02/13/12 09:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: Steve Young]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Steve.

Thanks for your comment. I did some re-mixing and used an amp simulation for the lead. Drums are more subtle and the rest a bit more airy.

Daniel

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipriv&trackid=58300

#150382 - 02/13/12 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: Jan Romanoff]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Quote:

Daniel

I'm no expert in any way, but I can tell you what I hear.
Generally it's a nice listen. Mixing wise - my first thought was that the organ was a bit dominant, stealing the space for the other instruments. Also generally it seems that some of the instrumets are competing for the same frequency range - could have something to do with the (high) number of instruments used.
I would think that the mix could be even more "clear" by working further with EQ^ing and panning of the instruments that operates in the same range.

Just my 2 kroner

brgds
Jan R

I also no expert but I agree with Jan R on this one.

You might also try eliminating some of the rhythm instruments during different leads. For instance do you need both the organ and steel playing behind the lead guitar? Or the rhythm guitar and organ playing behind the steel leads? Just a thought but fading rhythm instruments in and out during different leads would help eliminate overlapping frequencies.

Just my opinions, now worth nothing in USD!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#150383 - 02/14/12 03:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: MarioD]
deltagolf Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you MarioD

That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. Helpful suggestions and honest opinions. (They're more worth to me than only USD ;-)
Cheers, Daniel

#150384 - 02/14/12 11:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: not quite sure on the mix yet... [Re: deltagolf]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Sounds good here. Thanks 4 sharing!

My Music

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Updates - #TipTuesday

We often post an announcement when a new patch update is available for Band-in-a-Box, however there's another way of finding out if there's a new patch available for your installation of Band-in-a-Box without ever leaving the program!

In Band-in-a-Box 2017, simply choose the option to "Check for Updates" within the Band-in-a-Box menu - not only will the program list any new updates that are available, you also have the option to download and install the patch without even leaving the program!

Article - The Evolution of Quinn Bachand

Ottawa Life Magazine has highlighted Quinn Bachand in the recent article & interview The Evolution of Quinn Bachand - give it a read!

If you're a fan of our RealTracks Sets, you've probably heard some of Quinn Bachand's playing! Quinn has been a RealTracks Artist with us since the release of RealTracks Set 104: Celtic Jigs & Reels with Band-in-a-Box® Version 2011.

Listen to demos of all Quinn's RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Quinn's other contribution to PG Music (so far...) is the recently released Celtic Guitar Video Master Class Series, which covers techniques, chord theory, voicings and also walks you through 17 "must-know" tunes. Learn more...

User Tips - How to Add More Audio & Midi Tracks to Band-in-a-Box

If you've been looking for a way to add more audio and MIDI tracks to your Band-in-a-Box song, check out forum user Pipeline's helpful forum post: How to Add More Audio & Midi Tracks to Band-in-a-Box

Have your own program tips & tricks to share? Join the conversation today when you register on our forum!

Eric Blackmon Tutorial Video - 2.8 Million Views!

Eric Blackmon uses Band-in-a-Box® accompaniment with his online tutorials, and has just let us know that his first Band-in-a-Box® featured video tutorial, How To Play An Electric Guitar Solo Without Even THINKING About Scales #1 In Am has more than 2.8 Million views!

Check out the video: How To Play An Electric Guitar Solo Without Even THINKING About Scales #1 In Am

Watch all of Eric's videos on his YouTube channel.

New Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs Quick Start Video!

Wondering how to get started with your Xtra Styles PAKs? You're in luck... we have created a Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Video to help!

Check it out: Video: Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start

Learn more about the just-released Xtra Styles PAK 3! Listen to demos of these 160 new RealStyles at www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?pak=all&os=win#pak3.

Don't forget... the Xtra Styles PAK 3 is on sale for just $29 during our Xtra Styles special, which ends July 31, 2017!

Plus... if you don't have any Xtra Styles yet, you'll be happy to hear that you can purchase all three sets (485 RealStyles) and the 2017 49-PAK for only $129 during our Xtra Styles special.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2017 for Windows Build 466 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows customers can install the latest patch update (Build 466) here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#466

Fixed: Rendering to MP3 might fail with error "cannot get stream size".
Fixed: Rendering to MP3 will cause Band-in-a-Box to crash if choosing "MPEG Layer-3" as the codec.
Fixed: The style name and description would not be displayed immediately after bootup.
Fixed: The total choruses button should show the current chorus during playback.
Fixed: There were various errors (eg notes not transposed) in the Chord Builder popup menus.
Fixed: When demoing RealDrums in the RealDrums Picker dialog, the demo would not start at the beginning.
Fixed: When exporting a MIDI file, RealTracks would generate even if "Save RealCharts in MIDI files" was disabled.
Fixed: When using the * wildcard for chord type in the Search-Replace Chords dialog, all of the resulting chords would have their type changed to 6.

(Note: This is a cumulative update patch, which works from any 2017 build.)

User Tips - Entering Melody

Our Forum is packed with helpful posts - especially the Tips & Tricks section, where other program users share their own tips for working with PG Music Inc. software.

Like this recent post by Icelander: Always enter your melody in as midi - check it out!

Have your own tips & tricks to share? Join the conversation today when you register on our forum!

Forum Stats
26109 Members
49 Forums
46279 Topics
376428 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
balder, skydiver, Rollo Crisis, John Gaunt, fernandomota13

26109 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 155
Al-David 139