Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#352850 - 06/05/16 09:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: MusicStudent]
Lee Batchelor Offline
Apprentice

Interesting stuff, Jazzmandan.

By the time I studied at Western (London, ON), I owned a four function calculator with AC adaptor, from Radio Shack. Price - $179.95. It nearly broke my parents. Today, the same unit is basically free.

Sorry about your dad. Mine is gone too (1994).

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.

#352870 - 06/05/16 11:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: Lee Batchelor]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Multiple forum members have technical writing experience. A few years ago a discussion began about how useful the Band-in-a-Box user manual is and the consensus was it could be much better. A few members volunteered to assist in revising the manual but PG Music never responded.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#352883 - 06/05/16 12:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: Jim Fogle]
Lee Batchelor Offline
Apprentice

Good to know, Jim. I figured I couldn't be the only TW here smile.

I wonder why Peter and the team would turn down such a generous offer. Perhaps he would prefer to pay us each $65 per hour (LOL). I'm game...anyone else? I could use the folding money.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.

#352915 - 06/05/16 06:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: Lee Batchelor]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Perhaps PG Music has decided to concentrate on video tutorials more than written documentation. PG Music released many 3 to 5 minute tutorial videos over the last few years and they seem to be very popular.

Another thought is perhaps forum help would come too late. I've noticed PG Music updates both the help file and pdf documentation with almost every release.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#352951 - 06/06/16 05:04 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: Jim Fogle]
Lee Batchelor Offline
Apprentice

Good point about the video tutorials, Jim. I like them too, but as someone mentioned earlier, if the videos are shot with earlier BIAB versions, they may not be as effective. Updating the hardcopy manual and PDF manual doesn't quite wash with me when the same writing errors are made. For example:

* Writing in the future tense
* Misplaced modifiers that cause confusion
* Using condescending words such as simply or easily
* Lack of white space
* Ragged left margins
* No style guide used
* Lack of consistent terminology
* In the hardcopy manual, delete Chapter 3. It talks about all the new features of BIAB 2016. These need to be integrated with the manual in the correct places. Instead, to list all the new 2016 features, issue an online Release Manual, which I believe they did.

#352953 - 06/06/16 05:29 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: Lee Batchelor]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Lee Batchelor
Good point about the video tutorials, Jim. I like them too, but as someone mentioned earlier, if the videos are shot with earlier BIAB versions, they may not be as effective. Updating the hardcopy manual and PDF manual doesn't quite wash with me when the same writing errors are made. For example:

* Writing in the future tense
* Misplaced modifiers that cause confusion
* Using condescending words such as simply or easily
* Lack of white space
* Ragged left margins
* No style guide used
* Lack of consistent terminology
* In the hardcopy manual, delete Chapter 3. It talks about all the new features of BIAB 2016. These need to be integrated with the manual in the correct places. Instead, to list all the new 2016 features, issue an online Release Manual, which I believe they did.

All very valid points Lee.

Actually, I think the PGM team do an extraordinary job of producing all of the documentation, help files, videos, manuals and release notes. That's not to say that these could not be improved, but I understand that the effort that goes into these is very, very significant.

I can usually find what I need in the Help or PDF. Incidentally, when used properly, Windows Help is very very versatile. I know a Non-Linear Video Editing company that refused to update their integrated help, instead only developing a PDF manual. The search-ability became next to useless unless you knew exactly the term you were looking for, where Windows Help provides intelligent guesses on other forms of the selected search phrases.

Maybe you could offer your expert services for the 2017 release? It will require a major amendment to all of the User Interface displays....
(whoops, I did it again) whistle

Trevor

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#352956 - 06/06/16 05:45 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: dga]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Reminds me of a band I was once in - "Misplaced modifiers and the Dangling Participles".

Only played one gig, no one seemed to understand us. grin
SoundCloud

#352961 - 06/06/16 08:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: MusicStudent]
Lee Batchelor Offline
Apprentice

Good one Jazzmandan!

Trevor, I agree. There was a lot of effort put into the help documentation. We're lucky Peter and his team spent the time to give us the information. A lot of companies just leave you to figure things out by inspection.

It's been my experience that documentation can always be improved, even when written by professionals. When I write a document, I leave it for a day or two, and then go back and review it. My first comment is invariably, "I need to thoroughly review this document for minor errors."

I'd be happy to collaborate with the other TWs in this forum when it's time to write the new PDF manual. The first priority is to develop a style guide. The Microsoft Manual of Style, Fourth Edition is a good reference when documenting the Graphical User Interface (GUI).

I'd even wager, we could reduce the hardcopy manual by several pages, just by changing the future tense to the present tense!

Edited by Lee Batchelor (06/06/16 08:55 AM)

#352979 - 06/06/16 01:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: Lee Batchelor]
GHinCH Offline
Expert

Loc: Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
The manual could be improved, yes, especially when the questions asked in this forum together with the forum members' solutions find the way into a new manual.

#354545 - 06/20/16 04:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: StyleMaker Question [Re: dga]
DEddy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Canada
I'm so fed up with the OUTDATED help menu. I've complained for years but it's still the same ... cluttered ...

The next time I upgrade BIAB is when a "new" "revised" Help menu is done.

Signed Frustrated.

DE

Short term memory is getting shorter.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27838 Members
51 Forums
53035 Topics
440265 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Jerome1968, jfrances, LatinoMike, HCM, iyana

27838 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 145