Print Thread
Go To
#355113 06/24/16 11:17 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi team,

I took advantage of the Copy List function to make a spreadsheet version of the BIAB style list. Sadly, some of the names in Excel are #NAME?. Mr. Gates doesn't like those style names and has rudely told me so with his stupid error reporting. There are 4737 records. I don't really want to go through them all and manually fix the names (however that's done??).

I noticed that the Excel program added an equals sign to those cells, therefore, treating them like a function. Where did that come from?

Is there a fast way to get the names right so we don't anger Mr. Gates and his perfect software (NOT!!!). Thanks.

Last edited by Lee Batchelor; 06/24/16 11:24 AM. Reason: Content added.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Now, there's another issue. Please take a look at the attached pic. The formatting is all screwed up. Has anyone successfully built an Excel spreadsheet from the Notepad file?

Thanks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Excel Paste.PNG (76.85 KB, 110 downloads)
Last edited by Lee Batchelor; 06/24/16 12:27 PM.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Here is what the Notepad file looks like. I think there's something wrong with how BIAB is exporting the file.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
From Notepad.PNG (31.56 KB, 108 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Lee,

BIAB is doing everything correctly, what you are experiencing is a Microsoft quirk and due to how Excel is interpreting the information.

Firstly...

Make sure that you only have "Tab" selected when asked about the delimiter when pasting into Excel. It looks like you might have multiple delimiters presently selected; maybe "Tab" as well as space and/or comma. (The delimiter is what identifies each cell's data. The BIAB list is Tab-delimited.)

Secondly...

If you look at the image below, you can see how the "#Name?" issue occurs with every style that begins with a "=". (See the original name in the formula bar.) This is because Excel uses the equals sign to indicate that what follows it is a formula.

This is easily fixed.

1. Click on the "A" column header to select column A.

2. Press CTRL+F to open Find/Replace.

3. In the 'Find' box type in =

4. In the 'Replace' box type in '=

• The single quotation mark is used by Excel to say "interpret what follows as ordinary text." This character is found beneath the " character. It is not the character that is found beneath the "~" character.

5. Select "Replace all"

While the image below is using OpenOffice, the principle is the same in Excel.

Performing the above should correct everything for you. Let me know how you go.

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 06/26/16 04:49 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for chiming in, Noel.

After I pressed Copy List, that exact message boxed appeared but there was no prompt to ask what kind of delimiter to use. The Notepad program appeared and I selected All (Ctrl+A),and then pasted it into Excel.

I tried a similar idea to your Find and Replace. I used, Find "=", and replace it with nothing. All the #NAME errors disappeared. Thanks for that. I just need to understand more about the delimiter. I know what it is, but how do I set it without the appearance of a dialog box? Thanks again.

- Lee

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I tried a similar idea to your Find and Replace. I used, Find "=", and replace it with nothing. All the #NAME errors disappeared. Thanks for that. I just need to understand more about the delimiter. I know what it is, but how do I set it without the appearance of a dialog box? Thanks again.

Lee,

Rather than replace the = with nothing, it would be better to replace it with '= as suggested above because the style in BIAB actually begins with the = symbol. This symbol indicates that that the style is a mixture of Realtracks and midi. Styles that have 'nothing' leading the name are midi-only styles. (A leading ' character will not be visible in a cell.)

In relation to the delimiters...

1. Save the file in Notepad as a .txt file.

2. Open Excel and navigate to the saved file and open it. As far as I'm aware, Excel interprets .txt files as tab-delimited.

Here's an article that seems to support my understanding.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12014808_open-tab-delimited-files-excel.html

Regards,
Noel

P.S. It wasn't clear in my original article (now corrected) but the time to choose delimiters is when pasting into Excel. The tab-delimited text is already set in place when leaving BIAB and cannot be changed.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Okay, thanks Noel. I'll give it a try. Didn't know the difference between replacing with "'=" versus "=". Wow, thanks for that one. Darn near upset the apple cart!

Veteran
Veteran
Excellent.

Also... There are probably midi-only variations of the styles that have a leading = so removing the sign could potentially cause confusion.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Noel,

I tired right-clicking the .txt file in C:\bb\Data and opening it with Excel. It worked fine, however, the #NAME? error messages were gone and I had to use the Find and Replace "=" with "", not "'=" as you suggested. That didn't work. The styles were originally displayed as, "=-PAT34BL" (for example). Using your method gave me "'-PAT34BL", which is no good.

Here's a more important issue. There appears to be a conflict in how BIAB wants us to open the .txt file. The Message box gives us two alternatives. It says to "open it with Excel" or "copy and paste into Excel from Notepad" These give two entirely different results. The latter one gives the #NAME? errors but not the former. Should the latter method be removed from the Message box?

One more issue: when I use the right-click and open with option, the TSig column shows as 42464 (for example). I have no idea how to tell Excel it needs to be displayed as 4/4 (if that's its true identity). The other issue is, the #Instr and #substyles column numbers will not center. Only the headings do. BIAB must be inserting some conflicting formatting.

In this so-called wonderful technological world, there is always some massive incompatibility among computer programs. Very annoying!!!!!

What do you suggest? I use Excel 2007, by the way. Thanks.

Last edited by Lee Batchelor; 06/26/16 04:16 AM.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Okay, I found this article on how to over-ride the number column formatting (for number columns that won't center).

1. Select the entire column
2. Select the Data tab
3. Press the Text to Columns button under Data Tools.
4. For Step 1 press Next.
5. For Step 2 press Next.
6. For Step 3 select Text as the Column data format, and then press Finish.

By the way, columns (and their headings) containing integers are supposed to be centered. Columns containing decimal quantities are aligned on the decimal points. That's why Peter needs to hire a technical writer smile.

P.S. The procedure in this post is copied and pasted from the internet. It is also formatted completely wrong. I was too busy to fix it completely smile.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Lee,

The options BIAB mentions are simply the possible ways that you might wish to use the information.

One reason that Excel might treat the two processes slightly differently is because one is via the clipboard from a Windows application and the second is by using a .txt file.

To double-check this, do what I suggested in my above post. When Notepad opens, save the Notepad file as a txt file (maybe on your desktop for convenience). Then open that txt file and see if it makes a difference.

If the "#NAME?" error does not occurring when you open a .txt file, there shouldn't be any need to use find and replace. I'm surprised that you are getting the ' in a cell. I was not aware that Excel showed that when it was used in the leading position.

• Just to clarify... have you been using the single quote mark ' found beneath " and not the ` sign found under the ~ symbol? Also, the " marks should not be used in the replace data box. I only used them to make what I'd typed stand out in the text.

I'm glad you got the formatting worked out.

In relation to 42464, that is occurring because Excel is interpreting 4/4 as the date April 4 2016. To correct this, simply select the column and use Find and Replace to replace 42464 with '4/4 (the leading single quote mark is necessary to stop the autoformat).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Just to mention; Excel seems to handle formatting (and other things) differently from version to version.
Open Office seems more consistent in how it handles some things.

Just mentioning this in case Excel 2007 is doing strange things. I have had to use 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2003 to replicate some behaviors that were reported to me as bugs before ..
/just sayin'

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
That's a good point, rharv. It slipped past me.

Lee, OpenOffice is free to use. If you want to download and install it, it's at

https://www.openoffice.org/

As with any of these free programs, if you decide to install, choose the 'Custom' install route just to make sure that no added and unwanted programs also get installed.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the notes, guys.

It's sounding more like yet another torture session with Microsoft and their strangle hold on world business. They can't even get backward compatibility to work in their own software, much less someone else's. I make my living using their crap products. I have no choice. They need to hire smart people like Dr. P!!

Thanks again.

Expert
Expert
Well, Microsoft seems to have the goal to render used time to enhance your work flow as wasted time with the next version.

Up to XP you could enter properties in files for many non-Microsoft file types and use those with the Windows Explorer search function. Many of these are no more accessible in this way since Vista. Maybe Vista was named as a shortened "Hasta la vista!".

Many functions in Excel or Access were wiped out in the course of new versions. Many databases and spreadsheets have to be re-developed because used functions are not available in the new versions.

But what do I do in a case like the one you describe above (using MS products)?

I do use Word as a receiver of the intial table.
1. Select the appropriate paper size (often you need to make it a large one).
2. Select the appropriate format (under Layout) to be landscape or portrait to fit the table in its entire width into one line.
3. Paste the data.
4. Convert text to table
5. Add a column on the far left side of the table
6. Reconvert table to text using "Tab" as a delimiter.
7. Then I can global change contents using the search string ^tmy-text-to-be-changed^t and the replace string ^tmy-changed-text^t.

Are there elements in the table in another column that might be changed but shouldn't?
Select the column you want to have the data reformatted and copy it into a new document.
Follow with step 6.
If it is a single column in the above strings the ^t should be replaced by ^p.

This is an easy way to globally adjust the data to Excel's needs. This process is like a pulley -- you need to pull more rope but weights appear to be lighter to you.
(It shouldn't be necessary, but...). After you've done that three or four times you will speed up the process.
Excel doesn't like several glyphs as the first symbol in a cell, e.g. "=", "-", ".", and some others. Excel always tries to convert calendar date like number formats into a calender date format (yy/mm or mm/dd or similar); 4/4 will be April 4th. Excel doesn't like musicians' time signatures.

Another program you could use is Access if you have it. Access treats these data different than Excel. (You could use Access as a spreadsheet and not as a database using just a single table. In this case you just need to get familiar with the process and you do not have to learn "database". But you could if you want to.)

Last edited by GHinCH; 06/26/16 10:09 PM. Reason: Orthography of some words needed to be improved.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Many thanks for chiming in GHinCH!

So, it's not just me. I used to be an advanced level Access 97 user a long time ago; just short of using VBA code instead of queries to drive forms and outputs. I use Office 2007 and can't make heads or tails of where to start in Access. It would take me weeks to figure out their new interface. Like Dr. McCoy said in Star Trek the Motion Picture, "I know engineers. They Love to change things!" For some dumb reason, too many companies love to slam us against the wall with newer technology because they can, not because it's necessary. Leave the damn stuff alone!! It worked fine!!!

Why a company would remove features and benefits so useful to the business world, is beyond me. In my profession, we try to ask users what they need most. Otherwise, we would go out of business. Some moron U.S. judge decided that Microsoft did not have a monopoly on the market. I submit he or she was wrong. I hope to live long enough to see Microsoft go out of business - having been replaced with real software written by people who care. </rant>

Thanks again...

Expert
Expert
Quote:
I hope to live long enough to see Microsoft go out of business - having been replaced with real software written by people who care

First statement: I don't believe this to happen.
Second statement: Since they don't write in Assembler anymore I really doubt that this will be a future scenario. Today's languages cater to the unefficient programmer because they themselves do take so many tasks away that the programmer doesn't even have to be a good logician any more...

Today's computers salute the lazy software engineer: "Hey, I'm powerful enough. Don't worry about loading time of programs, my memory can hold programs as large as you want them to be. Do you have many loops and unefficient code? Eight cores in my processor handle that with ease and fast enough so that the user doesn't notice that you're a lousy programmer."

(I could go on, but still there are some magnificent software developers out there, but maybe these people avoid to be in contact with certain companies.)

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Good ones, GHinCH!

"(I could go on, but still there are some magnificent software developers out there, but maybe these people avoid to be in contact with certain companies.)"

Correct. There are some magnificent developers out there. They just don't get hired by MS! I believe you said that. My IT guy thinks (and I agree) so much of the software today has been designed to automate everything. That's fine until either: 1) The product simply doesn't work, or 2) The automated bits are totally counter-intuitive to what we want.

I wish developers would stop giving me crappy stuff and other stuff I just don't want. Get rid of the My Pictures, My Videos, My Briefcase (which I think is finally gone!), and other useless folders. I'll make my own.

'Nough said. Now, where did I leave my Yamaha keyboard? Still hooked to BIAB I suspect smile.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195