Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#355197 06/25/16 06:07 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Since I upgraded to 64 bit Windows and reinstalled my RB, AND bought and installed J-Bridge, I now can't load plug ins anymore. I get a message saying that the plug in is "not a valid plug-in". These are the same Isotope and Sonitus plugs I used before. This is just getting worse and worse for me.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #355204 06/25/16 09:50 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
And, as a bonus, the crashing continues. I had to change a chord and regenerate one measure in 3 places in a song. As soon as I hit "Regenerate selected region yada yada yada", Real Band crashed. They quit responding to emails. Called out there yesterday and got voice mail. I don't need voice mail. I need someone to fix their problem.

This is all on the same computer that ran 2015 just fine. But it's my end, right? $300 for the program, and extra $10 for J-Bridge that did absolutely nothing for me, as Real Band still tells me the same plugins I have always used are not valid.... Quite a studio I have here. Software that works minimally for about 10 minutes and crashes, with no plugins.

Meanwhile I can stream TV, audio, youtube.... everything else works. Sent the sing to Sonar and worked with it for 90 minutes with no problems. Using those same Sonitus plugins.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/25/16 09:57 AM.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #355213 06/25/16 10:36 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Why not just stick with Sonar? I love the Sonitus plugs in X3 - much more robust that RB, IMO.

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by 90 dB; 06/25/16 10:36 AM. Reason: Misssplelling
90 dB #355222 06/25/16 12:30 PM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Because I need Real Band to generate my tracks. Then I move it out of RB. Soon it will be to Protools. right now I just need to get RB to run for more than 15 minutes without crashing. All I have to do is regenerate a measure or change a gain level and it crashes. Fresh install of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, fresh install of BIAB/RB. Data stored on a separate drive. I took a class over summer that was centered around Protools. 3 more class meetings this week until the focus shifts to Ableton, which I have no interest in learning, so I have one more week (3 meetings) of Protools classes. Then I can just use RB to generate, as long as I don't want to ever make a change because it will crash, and move on from RB. Makes me sad because this used to be such good software. Starting in 2016 it has been a waste of my money and far too much time reinstalling and restarting because it is so buggy.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #355264 06/25/16 10:41 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I know all those problems only too well, I tried it on win10 and it was working great and I thought wow this is the solution, then bang, bang error, error.

I do beta testing and feature creation in other forums for other software and they are very thankful and supportive, and things get added and fixed overnight but I tried encouraging an all new RealBand In A Box 64 bit C++
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=352609
but the attack's were full on ! you are crazy, you don't know what you are talking about, do you know anything about programing at all, you just can't do such a thing, it's impossible, why on earth would we want that.
So in the end I gave up and the crashing continues.

We are told just use another DAW, but to create the project, chop n change and fine tune it you need to stay in real band, you can't just generate tracks in band in a box and drag them into a DAW end of story, unless you are just posting songs in the user showcase forum or live accompaniment, you want to have a more professional production you need a more professional, reliable 64bit real band application.
Sure other DAW's work great but they don't generate real/user tracks and multiriffs (as yet).

Pipeline #355368 06/26/16 06:39 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Like that

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
rb auxhost.jpg (73.1 KB, 416 downloads)
Pipeline #355397 06/27/16 02:36 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Like that

EXACTLY like that.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #355398 06/27/16 02:39 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Do you absolutely have to load plug ins in RB to render tracks?

I use RB to render my audio files all the time with no plug ins. I open a dry bare bones version of RB, load the BB file, render the tracks and export them.

I export to Sonar to finish the project and THAT's where I put the plugs... in SONAR.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #355426 06/27/16 08:34 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Do you absolutely have to load plug ins in RB to render tracks?

No, it is not critical. BUT, that's not the point. I paid $300 for software that doesn't work like it is supposed to. Would you enjoy driving a car that stopped 3 miles short of your destination and you had go all the way home and then take a bus? That is the perfect analogy. I get so far working, and the program crashes and the last edits are gone because with no way to know when it will crash, there is no way to know when to save. When I make an edit, does it not make sense to audition that edit before I save it? They advertise this thing as a DAW and it is supposed to work like one. Either that, or say "You can't use plug ins on this software."

Also, if you follow back along this whole conversation, which spans over several threads, I am crashing when I do something as simple as doing a regenerate on a single measure. I have crashed doing at least a half dozen different things, often crashing just when I hit the space bar to stop the transport. The answer from a customer service perspective CAN NOT BE "Just use a different DAW to mix." Too many of you have that "Well, my workaround is...." mentality. There IS no workaround. The workaround is for PG Music to fix the bugs in the program that we pay full price for.

The "what" and the "when" of what is happening is inconsequential. THAT it is happening is the issue. I could also just bring in guys to play the parts as a workaround, right? Software is supposed to work, every time. Software can't think and make decisions as to when it will work and when it will not.

I have had Real Band shut down when cutting bars, when regenerating measures, when hitting the stop button, when trying to save after an edit, when rendering tracks to wav files, when rendering to MP3, when trying to load a plug in, and a few times while I was doing absolutely nothing. Sitting there looking at the screen, I got a message that real band has stopped working and do I want to check the internet for the reason why. Note, Real Band crashed, not Windows. That studio computer has Word, Excel, Chrome, Sonar, Samplitude, Adobe Audition and Audacity. None of them crash. Only Real Band. After 25 years in IT, that, in my very experienced opinion, rules out my computer as the problem. If my computer (specifically the RAM inside it) had issues, one or more of those other programs would crash too. None do. And, when I am using Real Band, I do not run anything else, so the RAM is there just for Real Band to use.

If I could find something else to do what Real Band does for me, I would be gone. 2016 is just not very good.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/27/16 08:37 AM.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #355454 06/27/16 11:05 AM
RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Eddie,

What is an example of one specific VST plugin that you can't load because it says "not a valid plugin"?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Hello Eddie,

What is an example of one specific VST plugin that you can't load because it says "not a valid plugin"?

EVERY Sonitus, EVERY Izotope. Those same Sonitus plugins that used to work until 2016 and still do work in Sonar will not load into Real Band 2016.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #355487 06/27/16 03:12 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I could open 32 bit Izotope but not 64bit.
I could not open any Sonitus in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins, but they would not open in reaper either.

Pipeline #355491 06/27/16 04:19 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Everything in that Cakewalk ...\Shared Plugins folder are DX's NOT VST's. And if you've been accumulating over the years, from CW Producer 3 up to now in that folder, there are a LOT of DXi/DX's that WILL NOT work even in Sonar Plat (current version)

Also, unless you bought the "sold separately" Sonitus VST suite from Cakewalk (no LONGER for sale) you don't have Sonitus FX VST's

http://blog.cakewalk.com/download-the-sonitus-fx-suite-for-only-19-99/

and all the CW supplied Sonitus FX plugs are not only DX's - they are LOCKED to CW software! Only one that seems to have slipped through the cracks, for me anyway, was the Modulator. If they ALL worked before outside Sonar great, but they weren't suppose to.

The Jbridge thing: MY EXPERIENCE ONLY: It works great UNTIL I accidentally try to "bridge" an INVALID app (i.e., a NOT an actual audio VST or synth VSTi .dll and/or a NOT 64 bit app) it crashes - and once crashed you have to restart it's HOST (in this case BIAB, RB,PT) not a PG thing but rather a JBridge thing

But I've had my share of issues with BITBRIDGE IN CW as well - so.....

I have nothing on the iZotope stuff although I've spent last week+ starting from scratch on a clean Win 10 but am too tired to dig into it iZodope issues.

==============

I've wasted hours on stupid stuff like: Sonar doesn't like certain plugs in Win 10 (JUST an EXAMPLE: ST 2.5) becasue Sonar in Win 10 seems to want that .dll (and SampleMoog, and SampleTron, and stuff from other vendors) to have or need ADMIN R/W privileges (not .exe's but the .dlls!) - - DUH? Still digging into that btu suspect more than a few registry hacks coming up.

Before folks ask dumb question "why would I use an OLD 32-bit plug in a NEW 64 OS and DAW?" - it's the principle there is NO REASON it SHOULD NOT - again JUST an EXAMPLE, becasue YES I WILL BE USING ST3 not ST2 in Sonar Plat under Win 10.

I've been at this Win 10 clean install-"from scratch" a solid 10+ hours a day for 8 days now and still see a few more weeks ahead - just to get it all COOPERATING and uncovering Win 10 quirks (yes there are more than few BIGGIES - they will bite you guys at some point. I had one he## of one with PACE/iLOK lost over a day there, and those slugs at iLOK were no help - it's A PACE thing and required me resetting it's services manually - something a general user should NEVER have to do or even KNOW about. Wish I had Googled on it earlier!

I WILL NEVER SPEND A PENNY EVERY AGAIN on anything that needs PACE/iLOK - UVI workstation/Gospel Musicians EP's was my first and LAST go with PACE/iLOK)

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
eddie1261 #355495 06/27/16 05:27 PM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
And back to the same basic principle. Why should the fix be to take my RB generated tracks and move them to another DAW? They advertise RB to be a fully functional DAW and that's what I expect it to be. That's what I paid for. Those who choose to use Reaper, or Sonar, or Samplitude, or Cubase, or Protools, or Logic, or whatever to mix, that's their choice. I have used RB from start to finish for years. What is the deal with 2016 that suddenly I can't do that? Whoever it was that told me the Sonitus plugins are locked to Cakewalk, that is not correct. I used them with RB 2013 for 3 years. Reverb, delay, EQ, compressor, phase shifter, all of them.

Nobody on this planet is willing to own their mistakes anymore. Just keep passing the buck and blaming the customers. PG used to be better than this. Now they got too big and they play the game where they make some minor note or contact with problem customers just so they can say they addressed the issue and that buys them a few more days without fixing anything. Look how long this problem has been going on. Once every few days a PG staffer chimes in with a 20 word post, and that buys them 3-4 more days. Meanwhile I am weeks behind here because my software keeps crashing.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #355499 06/27/16 08:08 PM
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"Meanwhile I am weeks behind here because my software keeps crashing."

I have knocked back jobs for the last 6 months because the crashing and other problems got to my head too much.

As I said before I tried to get interest in a new real band in C++ that is easily transferred at the same time for Mac OS X as other DAW's have a win and mac version in the same language that are identical and released at the same time, instead of spending one part of the year programming the win version in one language then another part of the year programming the mac version in another language to be released at different times with different features.
But NO, it was full on negativity and blocking, "you are flogging a dead horse let it go it will never happen, we love real band how it is, go away don't come back".

eddie1261 #355521 06/28/16 03:43 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You probably already know this.... but here goes anyway.

Crashes are generally driver related issues. The very first sentence in your opening post up top of this one said you had upgraded to a 64 bit OS from a 32 bit OS and installed J-bridge to solve the difference. But apparently that didn't work. Drivers are normally either 32 or 64 bit, not both. Using j-bridge is an attempt to fool the driver into thinking it's got the proper piece of software when in fact it doesn't. If everything doesn't match up and work perfectly, you can easily have a system or software crash. Computers don't handle incompatibility very well. I've heard many tales of woe from users of j-bridge when moving from 32 to 64 bits.

The issue is the driver mismatch and trying to use a patch/wrapper like J-bridge to fix it.

Don't blame PG for this issue. The fix, as I understand it from listening to others who have had similar issues, is to upgrade ALL of your VST's and plugins to 64 bit so you don't need the j-bridge wrapper. If you're gonna go 64 bits, do it right and upgrade everything connected to the system so it works properly on 64 bits 100%. It might cost money to do it but that's the best way.

Using your car analogy, you wouldn't buy a new Mercedes and tell the dealer to use your old Volkswagen tires on it to save money...would you? That's essentially what you're doing with j-bridge.

This exact issue you are having it the precise reason I will not be upgrading from 32 bits to 64 bits any time soon. My 32 bit system works and there's no need for me to try to fix something that's working perfectly. It's when people thing they need to upgrade, but don't spend the money to do it right that they can often end up in a quagmire.

Pick one of the VST's or plugs that are not working properly and buy the 64 bit upgrade to it to see if that "fixes" your issue.

All of my computers are 64 bit OS, except my DAW. It's XP Pro 32. On the day I need to upgrade, I will be buying all new 64 bit versions of the plugs and VST's I use...... OR...... I will be reinstalling my 32 bit XP sp3 on the new machine.

I defer to your expertise with computers.... I'm not an IT guy, I'm just a humble DAW user who somehow managed to get my DAW working fairly well with very few crashes. I still get the occasional glitch that needs a reboot..... But with my Intel i5 chip and XP32, I consider my system to be fairly rock solid and steady.

Edit: have you called PG's tech support to discuss this issue and see if they can point you in the right direction? I work in security related electronics for over 25 years and have a solid grasp of things, but every now and then a call to tech support to bounce some ideas around pays huge dividends.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/28/16 03:46 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
eddie1261 #355546 06/28/16 06:46 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The plugins is not my main issue. That is just extra kindling. I crash in RB 2016 when I am doing routine things like making an edit, saving a file... That started on XP. I bit the bullet and installed Windows 7 32 bit. Reinstalled Office, RB, Sonar and Samplitude. Everything worked find but RB. In preparation for Protools, which only runs on 64 bit Windows, I wiped the drive clean AGAIN and installed Windows 7 64 bit. And reinstalled Office, RB, Sonar and Samplitude. And obviously my Focusrite drivers. Again EVERYTHING works. I can play music through my Chrome browser, through Sonar, and through Samplitude. And I can play music through RB, but it crashes. In an hour sessions I will have to restart RB 5-8 times. That is unacceptable. And that happens WAY before I try to load a plugin. You came to this dance late where you assume my issue is plugins. It is not. It is getting RB to run without crashing.

And there is absolutely ZERO wrong with my computer. I built this computer with components I selected and matched up specifically to be the music system. It has an Intel i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and 2 1.5tb 10,000 RPM hard drives. IT was my world for over 20 years and I know computers better than Bill Clinton knows Monica Lewinsky.

I have had RB crash when:

opening a file
saving a file
regenerating 1 measure of a song to make a chord change
hitting the stop button
selecting a style
selecting a range to edit

And in every instance listed above, the error message that popped up was the "Real Band has stopped" box over a whited out screen. I have sent the memory core dump to PG. That message thread with them is now 22 messages long. Nobody has helped me one bit beyond insulting my computer intelligence by telling me to do stupid newbie level nonsense like reset to defaults, defrag my hard drive (you NEVER have to defrag an NTFS drive, and defrag ONLY helps speed up load time, since programs run in RAM, making files be contiguous on the hard drive has zero to do with how something runs - only how fast it loads into RAM - did you KNOW programs execute in RAM and not from the hard drive? The hard drive is just storage.) and silly stuff like that, all skirting the issue that it is RB crashing. The error says so. 22 messages. (In NO case should software EVER require a user to reset to defaults. Rather fix the bugs than make the end user be your support people.)

See, how IT works is this. As a help desk agent, you are responsible for updating your tickets at a defined interval. That update can be as simple as "emailed customer", or "left voice mail". That fulfills their obligation to stay current on tickets. However, is that actually working toward resolution? Sending an email saying "reset to defaults" makes it look like they are working their tickets when all it does is buys more time to stall. I used to be the biggest PG Music fan in the world. Now if anybody asked me, I would suggest they save their money or buy Garage Band or anything else that does what RB does. Customer support has really gone downhill since they got so big and did not add a proportionate number of support people. After that many years in IT, I went from a very hands on world to a very "remote in" world, and customer service in general is awful in this microwave, greed driven, bottom line at all costs world.

Also note that everything worked just fine for me until the 2016 product. I guess I just have to admit that they got $300 of my dollars for software I can't use and get over it. They are surely not interested in fixing it, 22 emails later.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/28/16 06:49 AM.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #355551 06/28/16 08:11 AM
RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Eddie,

We both want to fix the problem, so could you please PM me rather than posting on the forum, and we will communicate that way, and I can ask you specific questions, and get specific answers.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,564
Posts734,442
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185