Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#152837 - 03/09/12 10:15 AM Another sugesstion needed.
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I'm looking for a full range small,cheap speaker that I can use to play guitar, bass or keyboard through. I don't want a regular amp. I use my laptop as the pre with AT3 & Ampeg SVX. The first thing that comes to mind is a Kustom 10" powered. Any other suggestions? Of course based on personal use.
Thanks friends.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#152838 - 03/09/12 11:44 AM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: silvertones]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
John,

I am a big fan of Pawn Shops, you might look there as they are always speakers of all sort in the ones I visit.

Good Luck,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#152839 - 03/09/12 12:16 PM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Danny C.]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Although discontinued by Radio Shack after nearly 30 years, the Minimus 7s are great full-range speakers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=minimus+7+speakers

#152840 - 03/09/12 01:13 PM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Don Gaynor]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Powered
15.6" Monitor

#152841 - 03/09/12 02:28 PM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: silvertones]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
John,

The cheapest full range powered speakers for performance - which is what you want if I understand correctly - are keyboard amplifier packages.

zzounds selection: http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=keyboard+amp&form=search

Sweetwater selection: http://www.sweetwater.com/c525--Keyboard_Amplifiers/pn1

Another option are powered mains that can be used as well, but they don't have the controls that keyboard amps provide:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c134--Active_Powered_PA_Speakers

The exception is that Behringer with the 3 channel mixer built in - that's actually a cool product - I would call it a keyboard amp!

-Scott

#152842 - 03/09/12 03:46 PM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: rockstar_not]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
John i have the non powered Kustom 10s and i love them, not huge sound, but very useable. I would expect the powered as the same with ... well power. Should do the job.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 4 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Producer, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, clone jazz bass, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#152843 - 03/09/12 05:01 PM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Robh]
RobbMiller Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Midwest

#152844 - 03/09/12 05:58 PM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: RobbMiller]
DHD Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Maine USA
In regards to the Behringer Truth B3031A
I maybe wrong but aren't studio reference monitors "near field" designed.
Not sure they would work well for gigging.

Bill

#152845 - 03/09/12 06:42 PM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: silvertones]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

I'm looking for a full range small,cheap speaker that I can use to play guitar, bass or keyboard through. I don't want a regular amp. I use my laptop as the pre with AT3 & Ampeg SVX. The first thing that comes to mind is a Kustom 10" powered. Any other suggestions? Of course based on personal use.
Thanks friends.

Check out the Roland CUBE offerings.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#152846 - 03/10/12 07:48 AM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Robh]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

John i have the non powered Kustom 10s and i love them, not huge sound, but very useable. I would expect the powered as the same with ... well power. Should do the job.

I have the 15" non powered ones. The odd thing is I discovered there is a difference between the powered & non powered. The non have crossovers with horns that have compression drivers. The powered do not. they just use piezo horns.
I think I'll just build my own. This is just for small get togethers in the living room or whatever. I have all I need for performance.Just to play guitar, bass or keyboard. As I said I have modeling software so the lappy serves as the pre & effects etc. Just need a full range speaker with power.
15.6" Monitor

#152847 - 03/10/12 08:58 AM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: DHD]
RobbMiller Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Midwest
Quote:

In regards to the Behringer Truth B3031A
I maybe wrong but aren't studio reference monitors "near field" designed.

Yes. But I have used them as loud speakers in a small space 900sqft ~ 1000sqft with under 50 folks in attendance and they sound great if you are not looking to color the sound. In fact they can be way too loud.

I have also used one as a stage monitor in a pinch. In this case it was a school gym with a stage ~500 folks in attendance. During dress rehearsals the backing tracks on the PA sounded just fine and the choir was able to pick up its ques. After the place was filled with bodies the PA was insufficient on stage. I hooked the B3031 to the monitor out and tucked it behind the risers of the choir, reflecting off the back wall. The choir had no problem hearing the backing tracks. In fact, the monitor could be heard at the back of the gym.

Neither of the above are the intended use, but they work great in both situations.

#152848 - 03/10/12 10:14 AM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: silvertones]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
My parents store sells quite a few of those Cube amps Mac mentioned. Many happy customers raving about them. Even the the micro cube gets great reviews. I was surprised by them.

#152849 - 03/10/12 10:29 AM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: rharv]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I have a micro cube, and while it is totally amazing for what it is, it is not really full sounding enough to play a "full band" through.

For a small area like a living room alone or with a friend or two, I might suggest monitors as well. i have M-Audio BX5A's and I play through them for practice, and they are great. with the doors closed, you can hear them out at the street.

John you might be over thinking this for a small area type system. you don't need anything big and powerful. At my house i can't even use my Kustom 10s, they just are too loud for the neighborhood. My M-Audio monitors are perfect.

Edited by Robh (03/10/12 10:35 AM)
Toshiba dual core Win 7 4 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Producer, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, clone jazz bass, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#152850 - 03/10/12 11:05 AM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Robh]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
I did not use the word, "MICRO" along with Cube.

Check out the Roland Cube series, John.

Like maybe the 60W one...

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#152851 - 03/10/12 11:15 AM Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Mac]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
John, what are the specifics of your needs again besides 'powered' and 'speaker'? Do you need a small mixer on-board or ability to use multiple sources into the powered speaker?

Mac, the cube series - aren't they aimed at the guitar amplifier market? I'm wondering if they are indeed full range. I know that they use amp simulation, so perhaps they are full range and rely on the amp simulation to emulate cabinet and speaker non-flat response that is so characteristic of guitar amps.

I didn't see any of the larger cubes that were simply powered full range speaker arrangements. There's a smaller one that is battery powered that looks more like a powered speaker - just curious.

I'm trolling this thread because I am sort of in the market for something similar - a full range self-contained thing, with multiple inputs/simple mixer (my needs, not necessarily John's) and want to have a finger on the pulse of this market. That Behringer unit looks most interesting for the price to me: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B205D.aspx $150

-Scott

Edited by rockstar_not (03/10/12 11:17 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Video - Selecting the Best RealTracks for your Band-in-a-Box Song.

With so many RealTracks available, how do you know you're picking the best ones for your song? We've made a quick video to help you out with that! You can watch it here: http://youtu.be/I3wJYf9qE04.

RealTracks Artist John Jarvis - Album Credits

John Jarvis recorded with Brooks & Dunn and Lonestar this year!

To see what other albums you can find his playing on, view his www.allmusic.com profile.

We Have Over 100 RealTracks Artists!

The popular RealTracks feature within Band-in-a-Box brings an exciting human element to your arrangement by adding REAL instruments played by TOP MUSICIANS! Click here for a full list of the RealTracks Artists available.

RealTracks Artist Quinn Bachand - Award Nominations!

The Canadian Fold Music Awards are this weekend, and RealTracks Artist Quinn Bachand has been nominated for:
Instrumental Group of the Year
Ensemble of the Year
World Group of the Year
New/Emerging Artist of the Year
Young Performer of the Year

Read the announcement here.

Learn more about the Canadian Folk Music Awards: folkawards.ca

Keeping Up with PG Music Inc. - Newsletter Sign-up

Sign up for the PG Music Inc. newsletter and you'll receive notifications for new versions of Band-in-a-Box, as well as any other new products we release!

Share Your Song with Soundcloud!

Did you know that there are are a number of ways to share your Band-in-a-Box song? Not only can you print out your song in notation, you have the option of saving in a variety of MIDI and audio formats for playback from your computer or an audio CD. You can even upload your arrangement to Dropbox and Soundcloud!

Watch how easy it is to upload your Band-in-a-Box song to Soundcloud here.

Make sure to post a link to your song on our User Showcase Forum!

Band-in-a-Box Tips & Tricks!

There's so much Band-in-a-Box can do! Check out the YouTube Channel - Tips & Tricks page, which is packed with videos showing off what Band-in-a-Box can do!

Forum Stats
22286 Members
39 Forums
31120 Topics
247076 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 12:12 PM
Newest Members
jonny250, Hotmagazine, Cztaylor, ijklmn664731, sheath

22285 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pat Marr 192
PeterGannon 188