Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#152837 - 03/09/12 10:15 AM [Off-Topic] Another sugesstion needed.
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I'm looking for a full range small,cheap speaker that I can use to play guitar, bass or keyboard through. I don't want a regular amp. I use my laptop as the pre with AT3 & Ampeg SVX. The first thing that comes to mind is a Kustom 10" powered. Any other suggestions? Of course based on personal use.
Thanks friends.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#152838 - 03/09/12 11:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: silvertones]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
John,

I am a big fan of Pawn Shops, you might look there as they are always speakers of all sort in the ones I visit.

Good Luck,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#152839 - 03/09/12 12:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Danny C.]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Although discontinued by Radio Shack after nearly 30 years, the Minimus 7s are great full-range speakers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=minimus+7+speakers

#152840 - 03/09/12 01:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Don Gaynor]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Powered
15.6" Monitor

#152841 - 03/09/12 02:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: silvertones]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
John,

The cheapest full range powered speakers for performance - which is what you want if I understand correctly - are keyboard amplifier packages.

zzounds selection: http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=keyboard+amp&form=search

Sweetwater selection: http://www.sweetwater.com/c525--Keyboard_Amplifiers/pn1

Another option are powered mains that can be used as well, but they don't have the controls that keyboard amps provide:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c134--Active_Powered_PA_Speakers

The exception is that Behringer with the 3 channel mixer built in - that's actually a cool product - I would call it a keyboard amp!

-Scott

#152842 - 03/09/12 03:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: rockstar_not]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
John i have the non powered Kustom 10s and i love them, not huge sound, but very useable. I would expect the powered as the same with ... well power. Should do the job.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#152843 - 03/09/12 05:01 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Robh]
RobbMiller Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Midwest

#152844 - 03/09/12 05:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: RobbMiller]
DHD Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Maine USA
In regards to the Behringer Truth B3031A
I maybe wrong but aren't studio reference monitors "near field" designed.
Not sure they would work well for gigging.

Bill

#152845 - 03/09/12 06:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: silvertones]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

I'm looking for a full range small,cheap speaker that I can use to play guitar, bass or keyboard through. I don't want a regular amp. I use my laptop as the pre with AT3 & Ampeg SVX. The first thing that comes to mind is a Kustom 10" powered. Any other suggestions? Of course based on personal use.
Thanks friends.

Check out the Roland CUBE offerings.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#152846 - 03/10/12 07:48 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Robh]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

John i have the non powered Kustom 10s and i love them, not huge sound, but very useable. I would expect the powered as the same with ... well power. Should do the job.

I have the 15" non powered ones. The odd thing is I discovered there is a difference between the powered & non powered. The non have crossovers with horns that have compression drivers. The powered do not. they just use piezo horns.
I think I'll just build my own. This is just for small get togethers in the living room or whatever. I have all I need for performance.Just to play guitar, bass or keyboard. As I said I have modeling software so the lappy serves as the pre & effects etc. Just need a full range speaker with power.
15.6" Monitor

#152847 - 03/10/12 08:58 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: DHD]
RobbMiller Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Midwest
Quote:

In regards to the Behringer Truth B3031A
I maybe wrong but aren't studio reference monitors "near field" designed.

Yes. But I have used them as loud speakers in a small space 900sqft ~ 1000sqft with under 50 folks in attendance and they sound great if you are not looking to color the sound. In fact they can be way too loud.

I have also used one as a stage monitor in a pinch. In this case it was a school gym with a stage ~500 folks in attendance. During dress rehearsals the backing tracks on the PA sounded just fine and the choir was able to pick up its ques. After the place was filled with bodies the PA was insufficient on stage. I hooked the B3031 to the monitor out and tucked it behind the risers of the choir, reflecting off the back wall. The choir had no problem hearing the backing tracks. In fact, the monitor could be heard at the back of the gym.

Neither of the above are the intended use, but they work great in both situations.

#152848 - 03/10/12 10:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: silvertones]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
My parents store sells quite a few of those Cube amps Mac mentioned. Many happy customers raving about them. Even the the micro cube gets great reviews. I was surprised by them.

#152849 - 03/10/12 10:29 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: rharv]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I have a micro cube, and while it is totally amazing for what it is, it is not really full sounding enough to play a "full band" through.

For a small area like a living room alone or with a friend or two, I might suggest monitors as well. i have M-Audio BX5A's and I play through them for practice, and they are great. with the doors closed, you can hear them out at the street.

John you might be over thinking this for a small area type system. you don't need anything big and powerful. At my house i can't even use my Kustom 10s, they just are too loud for the neighborhood. My M-Audio monitors are perfect.

Edited by Robh (03/10/12 10:35 AM)
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#152850 - 03/10/12 11:05 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Robh]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
I did not use the word, "MICRO" along with Cube.

Check out the Roland Cube series, John.

Like maybe the 60W one...

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#152851 - 03/10/12 11:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Another sugesstion needed. [Re: Mac]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
John, what are the specifics of your needs again besides 'powered' and 'speaker'? Do you need a small mixer on-board or ability to use multiple sources into the powered speaker?

Mac, the cube series - aren't they aimed at the guitar amplifier market? I'm wondering if they are indeed full range. I know that they use amp simulation, so perhaps they are full range and rely on the amp simulation to emulate cabinet and speaker non-flat response that is so characteristic of guitar amps.

I didn't see any of the larger cubes that were simply powered full range speaker arrangements. There's a smaller one that is battery powered that looks more like a powered speaker - just curious.

I'm trolling this thread because I am sort of in the market for something similar - a full range self-contained thing, with multiple inputs/simple mixer (my needs, not necessarily John's) and want to have a finger on the pulse of this market. That Behringer unit looks most interesting for the price to me: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B205D.aspx $150

-Scott

Edited by rockstar_not (03/10/12 11:17 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
New Videos! RealPAK Volume 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows!

Now available - detail video demonistrations of the RealTracks & RealDrums included in the Country, Rock-Pop, and Jazz RealPAKs Volume 13 (released with Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows).

RealPAK: Country Volume 13
RealPAK: Rock-Pop Volume 13
RealPAK: Jazz Volume 13

Learn more about all the RealPAKs when you visit www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.realtracks.htm

YouTube Find - Stefan Leipziger - Three - Six - Five (with Band-in-a-Box®!)

Wow - searching "Band-in-a-Box" on YouTube brings up a huge number of videos! Like this one... it sounds GREAT! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=sWFp1ZnTxT0.

Good thing we have our I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube forum to share these videos! If you've found a YouTube video that uses Band-in-a-Box you can share it too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 in Italiano!

Abbiamo lavorato sodo e abbiamo aggiunto nuove funzioni e una sorprendente collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, 34 MIDI SuperTracks, Studi Strumentali, RealTracks a 12-Tonalità, Notazione di Chitarra Hi-Q, Stili Riscoperti RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks, un nuovo sintetizzatore (sforzando), e oltre 120 nuovi RealStyles!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=win&lang=it

User Tips - How to Create an Instrumental Melody Line that Follows the Vocal Using Band-in-a-Box®

Forum User Joanne Cooper has an excellent blog on her website, www.joannecooper.co.za/home - including her latest post: How to create an instrumental melody line that follows the vocal using Band-in-a-Box and Melodyne!

Joanne's instructions are easy to follow along with - click here to read the blog post.

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Patch Update 152 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac users can download this free patch update here.

Included in the update:
Fixed: Audio could not be pasted beyond the end of the existing audio data.
Fixed: Audio importing would fail.
Improved: If making a tempo map after using the Audio Chord Wizard, and the current style has a different time signature, you will be asked to choose a different style. If possible, you can choose to keep the current style, but the time signature of each bar will be set for you.
Fixed: Automatic updates were not working.
Fixed: Some VST plugins' GUI window would not close properly, and leave a ghost window on the screen (eg. the Expand!2 plugin).
Fixed: The Expand!2 plugin would cause all menus in Band-in-a-Box to stop responding.
Changed: The new hot key for opening the Record MIDI dialog has been changed to control+R.
Fixed: The "Piano, Acoustic, Bright Grand Sforzando" patch was missing from the Hi-Q list.
Fixed: "Could not load Hi-Q patch." would show if trying to load the "Organ, Electric, Rock Sforzando" patch.
Fixed: "Could not load Hi-Q patch." would show if trying to load the "Organ, Electric, Jazz Sforzando" patch.
Fixed: Clicking on the Guitar window would show notes on the Melody mixer piano instead of the Thru mixer piano.
Fixed: VST plugins that have been uninstalled should not appear in the plugin list.
Improved: Plugins can be chosen by double-clicking on them in the list, instead of having to hit [Return] or clicking [OK].
Fixed: In the Japanese version, when opening the Email dialog, you would be asked to save the song even though it was already saved.
Fixed: In the Japanese version, attaching a rendered song to an email would produce a rendered file with garbage text in the title, and it would not be attached to the email.
Fixed: In the Japanese version, a song with an audio track would not give the option to attach the audio file.

RealBand 2017 Patch Update (Build 4) Available!

RealBand 2017 Users can download this free patch update here.

Included in the update:
Fixed - Program title was changed to 'file converter' if a conversion needed to be done such as after recording (this affected the title shown when alt-tabbing or hovering over the icon on the task bar, etc.).
Fixed - Spurious warning about rebuilding style picker when not needed has been removed.
Fixed - FX button now correctly turns blue if MIDI track is actually using a VSTi or DXi synth.
Fixed - the choose note dialog in Notation Window had garbled text.
Fixed - saving to XML would result in the timing being wrong, if the song's PPQ was not 120.
Fixed - when drawing a slur in the situation of notes being extremely close together, program could potentially slow down or freeze.
Fixed - a few miscellaneous minor localization and help-topic link issues

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows Patch Update 459 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows users can download this free patch update here.

Included in the update:
Fixed: Audio Edit window was not displaying lines for audio stretching features (bug introduced in build 458).
Fixed: Clicking on the Mixer piano (Thru track) does not display notes on the Guitar or Big Piano windows.
Fixed: The select bar dialog would conflict with keyboard input.
Fixed: Email Song dialog would not show options to attach Artist Performance Tracks if they were WMA files.
Fixed: Hitting the [\] key (forward slash) while in the notation window would crash Band-in-a-Box with the "Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window" error.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with "Not enough timers available" error.
Fixed: The RealTracks picker might freeze if using a custom RealTracks folder location, and this folder does not exist (eg. an external hard drive is not connected, or re-connected with a different drive letter).
Fixed: If using Windows 10, holding down the mouse anywhere in the chord sheet window and scrolling the mouse wheel would cause Band-in-a-Box to immediately crash.
Fixed: When saving MusicXML files, slurs would be rejected by other programs that opened the files.
Fixed: After performing a drag and drop, the previous state of soloed tracks was not restored.
Fixed: Drag and drop of audio track would render Bass track instead.
Fixed: When using multiple monitors, some popup windows would be forced onto the primary monitor (eg. changing song title, changing track label).
Fixed: When using multiple monitors, Band-in-a-Box would not properly open to the previous size, position, and maximized state.
Fixed: Previewing chords in the chord sheet (Shift+Enter) or using the chord builder would eventually stop playing all the notes in the chord if using the "always on" setting for the audio driver (MME or ASIO).
Fixed: Splash screen was missing if running program in any language other than English.
Improved: Shots and Holds for Direct Input RealTracks can be assigned unique Holds library numbers, and unique decibel offsets.
Fixed: If using a 3/4 style, Band-in-a-Box would switch to the ZZJAZZ style (4/4) when launching the Audio Chord Wizard. This would cause an incorrect tempo map to be made afterwards.
Improved: If making a tempo map after using the Audio Chord Wizard, and the current style has a different time signature, you will be asked to choose a different style. If possible, you can choose to keep the current style, but the time signature of each bar will be set for you.
Fixed: Automatic updates were sometimes not working
Fixed: Rendered WAV files would not be acidized if the option to normalize was enabled.
Added: Drums name is more descriptive in the drums panel of the mixer, e.g. saying "snare and high hat"instead of "snhh"

Forum Stats
25632 Members
49 Forums
44244 Topics
357920 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
John Pappas, grietje, Logan, ele777, colsalter

25632 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 204
Guitarhacker 158