Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#152918 - 03/10/12 01:58 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Pat Marr]
FrankK Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Sydney,NSW,Australia
I think BIAB is fair compared to prices for sample libraries for example. It all needs to be put in perspective. How much do or would you spend on booze each week, fags or a holiday if relevant? When you compare it to the enjoyment you get on a continuous basis instead of a fleeting moment then I’d say its good value.

#152919 - 03/10/12 03:03 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: FrankK]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
I want to spend more on booze but I loose my beer all the time. I can't smoke in the house I guess. Havn't tried in years. It used to work ok though. I used to make charitable donations to underprivileged women, but the music where they work is too loud and it's too dark. So I quit that too.

I like a good steak once every few weeks. Those are about 12 bucks for 2 and at 20 times a year that's a good hobby I'll keep until it's too cold to hit the bbq.

I'm sticking with the upgrades I think. And a nice Havana once a month.

#152920 - 03/10/12 03:30 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: John Conley]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

I buy every upgrade whether I need it or not...but that's just me. Gotta have the latest and greatest, especially BIAB / RB !

#152921 - 03/10/12 04:45 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: FrankK]
FLAN Offline
Apprentice

Loc: US, FROSTBURG, MARYLAND
Well, if I may say so, when I consider the VAST amount of goodies (RT's and software tweaks) that seem to CONSTANTLY improve at near exponential levels...

My brain is in perpetual synoptic meltdown...in a feeble attempt to absorb and (if I'm lucky) apply those newly formed, revised, and polished incentives that are so exhuberantly bundled with each and every release.

I am delighted at PG's efforts...humbled actually.

There is a METRIC TON of effort and attention to detail that is applied all along the chain...from the least, to the greatest...

From the exceptionally skilled, blessed, and talented instrument players themselves---to the grips, guitar techs, cable runners...to those blessed souls who gratiously provide clean and supplied restrooms (I love you too!)---I chat with the gal at work all the time (hey, I used to...I'm a Navy man...we're some cleaning fools). To everyone at Team PG: Bravo!

I digress---

I think another person coined it correctly: If you're so inclined, and you have the patience of Job, then sure, wait until the annual release at a discount; else, you could "selctively" choose what specific "bumps" you'd like if you favor a particular genre...or RT set.

That's what I like: Flexibility.

The choices you make can range from All, to some, to a few, to...

Unfortunately for me, I happen to be of the "all or nothing" personality LOL

To date, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

Well, I do have one: Insufficient time and brain power to fully utilize it ALL!!!

Have Fun,
Eric
JOHN 10:10

#152922 - 03/10/12 04:58 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Harpo]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
I worked for Jack Daniel's, yes the whiskey for 30 years and the founding father Jack himself made a statement very early on in the history of that American icon . . . "All Goods Worth Price Charged". IMHO BIAB is one of only a few products I have ever purchased, besides Jack, to which I would share that statement.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#152923 - 03/10/12 05:09 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Danny C.]
Tim Lawrence Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Long Beach California. United ...
I don't purchase every upgrade but when I do upgrade it's well worth the money I put down.

Comparing BIAB and Sonar is like apples and oranges.
Sonar has a much larger customer base then BIAb so of course they can charge less per upgrade.
Tim

#152924 - 03/10/12 05:35 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: FrankK]
jcspro40 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio-USA
With the Mega-Pak I can upgrade the Program & get all the new RT for $130 ($99 on sale) and not have to pay for the "redundant programs" I already have...I just don't see how this can be overpriced for a previous owner.....

#152925 - 03/10/12 10:55 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: jcspro40]
Harpo Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Boston, Ma / NY, NY
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post!

Boy, there are some "real sensitive folks out there that seemingly have taken my comments as a slight towards the BIAB program or PG Music itself.

You guys are so way off.

As I said I've been with PG Music for a very long time now. Do you think I would have hung around this long if I didn't like the product?

I own a fairly elaborate Home Recording Studio and have many different types of music software, and guess what?...........
I can find something that I'd like to change in each and every one of them. Something that "I" believe would improve the software in one way or another.
That doesn't mean I don't like them or they're not a rockin' piece of software, it just means I have personal preference about what I buy.

Thanks for the comments on the "specials". I never took advantage of these (or even really knew about the regularity of them), as well as buying the RT separately on an "as needed basis".
This is good information and I wish there were more people out there who actually understood my post and responded to it with a similarly "helpful" tone.
(but believe it or not, I actually enjoyed reading "all" of the responses. Some of them made me laugh.)

So......

I still feel that the upgrades are a bit too pricey, though I understand PG Music is not as large as some other music software companies (another helpful point that someone made!), but if anyone believes your upgrades have to be more than the next guys just because you bring people into a studio to record, think about software like "Kontakt" or "BFD" (just for starters).

I'll continue to enjoy my UltraPlusPak and maybe when the next "deal" comes around I'll upgrade then. Maybe not.

But in the meantime, I wish all lovers of BIAB, Happy Jamming!

Peace

Harpo

#152926 - 03/11/12 05:56 AM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Harpo]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Hey brother Harpo--

Do not ever contemplate the purchase a boat or an airplane.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#152927 - 03/11/12 06:47 AM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Mac]
Harpo Offline
Apprentice

Good one Mac! (really)

But if I could afford a boat or an airplane, do you think I'd be at all concerned about a $279. upgrade (lol)!?!?

#152928 - 03/11/12 08:17 AM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Harpo]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Another thing is that you do not have up upgrade every time! I only upgrade my software if there is something new that I think will help me.

#152929 - 03/11/12 08:26 AM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: MarioD]
Tommyc Offline
Expert

I never updated 2004 Biab until they had RT's, it was their best improvement yet!

#152930 - 03/11/12 08:37 AM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Harpo]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Harpo,

I hope my reply made you laugh.

Take Care,

#152931 - 03/11/12 01:03 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Danny C.]
Harpo Offline
Apprentice

Hi Danny

Absolutely.

That was definitely one of the moments that brought on a smile and a few chuckles. Thanks!

#152932 - 03/11/12 03:14 PM Re: How Do You Feel About The Upgrade Prices?? [Re: Harpo]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Hi Danny

Absolutely.

That was definitely one of the moments that brought on a smile and a few chuckles. Thanks!

Great now I can take the rest of the day off.

Take Care,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Gonzalo Bergara - Weekend Performances!

Catch the Gonzalo Bergara Quartet this weekend at the DjangoFest NorthWest!

Click here for more information.

RealTracks Artist Quinn Bachand will be there too!

Band-in-a-Box Facebook Contest!!

Like us on Facebook before October 1, 2014 for a chance to win a Band-in-a-Box EverythingPAK! Click here to enter

RealTracks Artist Jeff Lorber Takes the Stage September 25th!

Watch The Jazz Funk Soul Tour with RealTracks Artist Jeff Lorber, Everette Harp and Chuck Loeb on Thursday, September 25, 2014!

To learn more about this performance being held at the Highline Ballroom in New York, click here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box Chord Shortcuts

Entering Chords in Band-in-a-Box is easy!

Use these simple shortcuts in this YouTube Video to enter chords for your Band-in-a-Box song! You'll also learn how to create your own custom shortcuts!

A Look Back - Band-in-a-Box Version 12

Band-in-a-Box 12 for Windows was released in December 2002 - here are just a few of the New Features for Version 12:
✔ “Twice as many instruments” with GM2 support
✔ Separate Notation Track for each Harmony Voice
✔ Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Ukulele and Bass fretboard display
✔ Guitar Chord Diagrams in Jazz, Pop or Folk voicings
✔ Jazz Music Fonts for Notes, Symbols, Chords and Titles
✔ Multiple Tracks of Notation
✔ Section Text and Boxed Text – add custom text messages at any position in the notation track
✔ “Direct-to-Disk” Audio Rendering – converting a song to audio format in seconds
...and more!

Click here to see the Band-in-a-Box 12 info sheet!

This Saturday - THE TIME JUMPERS with Vince Gill, Dawn Sears, and Kenny Sears!

There are still some tickets left for THE TIME JUMPERS featuring Vince Gill, Dawn Sears, and (RealTracks Artist) Kenny Sears show this Saturday at The Arcada Theatre in St Charles, IL!

Click here for event information.

RealTracks Artist Troy MacGillivray - Saturday Performance!

Join RealTracks Artist Troy MacGillivray this Saturday at 8pm as he kicks off the fall season at Harmony House Theatre in Hunter River PEI!

Click here for more information.

Forum Stats
22002 Members
38 Forums
30062 Topics
239315 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
yogisax, guitarz, jccooper, jasmineangel, bluestreak

22002 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 111