Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#154579 - 03/23/12 11:52 AM My turn with ASIO
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I have six other programs that use ASIO perfectly. Why is RB & BIAB & PT the only programs that give me "error starting ASIO driver".
I do have a need to use ASIO with my controller.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#154580 - 03/23/12 02:29 PM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: silvertones]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

OK I figured out my issue. Might relate to others.When I go to control panel/sound&audio devices/hardware/ double click on my audio card/properties.
Under the Audio Devices pull down is a check box that says "do not map through this device"
Checking this has allowed ASIO to work perfectly. Yea.
I just need to figure out how to use the thru channel in RB. BIAB is easy RB not so much.
15.6" Monitor

#154581 - 03/23/12 06:54 PM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: silvertones]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Glad you got it whooped.

#154582 - 03/24/12 06:14 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: rharv]
LynB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Barton-on-Sea,Hants,UK
Have a look at Preferences > Midi > Thru - settings hear may help.

#154583 - 03/24/12 10:49 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: LynB]
toucher Offline
Expert

Loc: Arizona
Hey John, which asio driver are you using?

Rob

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippmusic

#154584 - 03/24/12 11:05 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: toucher]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Hey John, which asio driver are you using?

Rob

Rob,
I have an older Toshiba laptop who's soundcard(internal) didn't have ASIO.Itr's an AC97 card. I met this guy via the KX forums that is a keyboard player and a programmer. He developed a native ASIO driver for these older cards.I've been helping him with the testing of it in the past. I got a newer version then the one posted. It's native not a wrapper like ASIO4ALL. I can play standalones with 2ms latency. I have to set it to 4-8 ms to play both RB & a soft synth. Check it out. There's a utility to run to see if your sound card is compatible.

Native AC97 ASIO Driver
15.6" Monitor

#154585 - 03/24/12 11:12 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: silvertones]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Quote:

Under the Audio Devices pull down is a check box that says "do not map through this device"

This is absolutely insane. Yet another example of oh I don't know, a hundred maybe completely useless statements in a pull down window. Not just here, statements like that are all through help files for different programs with no explanations whatsoever. It's left to the user to Google that statement and try to find out what if anything, that means. What in the **** IS that supposed to mean? What idiot wrote that? It forces the user to make an assumption that if it's NOT checked then something IS mapping through this device? What, pray tell and what does that mean to a user having a problem with latency? And this wonderful piece of info is supposed to help the user do what exactly with no explanation? Mapping?? We don't need no stinkin mapping, just tell us what to check or uncheck and most importantly WHY.

This is complete technobabble BS nonsense and needs to be cleaned up in plain english.

Bob

#154586 - 03/24/12 11:53 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: jazzmammal]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

This is absolutely insane. Yet another example of oh I don't know, a hundred maybe completely useless statements in a pull down window. Not just here, statements like that are all through help files for different programs with no explanations whatsoever. It's left to the user to Google that statement and try to find out what if anything, that means. What in the **** IS that supposed to mean? What idiot wrote that? It forces the user to make an assumption that if it's NOT checked then something IS mapping through this device? What, pray tell and what does that mean to a user having a problem with latency? And this wonderful piece of info is supposed to help the user do what exactly with no explanation? Mapping?? We don't need no stinkin mapping, just tell us what to check or uncheck and most importantly WHY.

This is complete technobabble BS nonsense and needs to be cleaned up in plain english.

Bob

OK Bob now you've got that off your chest LOL & I don't know if you're ranting at me, PG or who.
What are your real thoughts. Did this help you?
15.6" Monitor

#154587 - 03/24/12 12:57 PM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: silvertones]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
reminds me of the time I couldn't figure out ANYTHING about BIAB...

then one day buried under several layers of menus, I found the [x]STUPID checkbox.

Once I unchecked it, everything started working for me.

Now I'm looking for the [X]NO TALENT checkbox, so I can uncheck it too.

#154588 - 03/24/12 01:42 PM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: Pat Marr]
jazzmandan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
You guys are a hoot this morning...

#154589 - 03/24/12 02:09 PM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: jazzmandan]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

You guys are a hoot this morning...

Only because we found the [x]SOUND LIKE AN OWL checkbox and checked it

#154590 - 03/25/12 12:12 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: Pat Marr]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Good thing he said Hoot, and not Toot!!!What box do you un-check for that!
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#154591 - 03/25/12 02:53 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: silvertones]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Definitely not you John. It's the people who write these things in the program.

It's been suggested many times over the years that the help files need a sort of beta test where all us usual suspects rewrite this stuff so non nerds can understand it. "Mapping to a device". Who the heck uses that term except a pure techie? I'll bet if you were to ask 100 very experienced users what that means and to write a description of it maybe 5 could. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is 2. Mac and Rharv It's just a major pet peeve of mine because it's completely unnessary.

Help balloon: Having latency problems? Check this, this and this in that order until it's fixed. That's it, who cares what's it's really doing in the background. So it's no longer mapping to some device. Wonderful, I don't need to know that and neither does 99% of the users out there.

There can be another checkbox for the advanced addendum using all the latest undergrad technical terms for those who just have to know what's really happening in excruciating detail. It says: Check here for the 487 page technical manual. The section on latency problems would say something like if you're having problems with unauthorized mapping of device 004.45598XX.EE6792462 due to hardware incompatabilities caused by using the Texas Instruments audio chip TXA01134-18 in conjuction with the MAudio driver version 433.6.03 blah, blah, blah etc then try this.

For the rest of us, check these 3 boxes in order until the problem goes away. If that doesn't work try the combinations. There's only 9. If that doesn't work, switch to Sonar...

On a more serious note, the software could throw a code that we may not understand but one call to Support and they could then tell us exactly what the problem is and how to fix it. Sort of like the fault codes on any modern cars' diagnostic computer. The Mercedes forum has members who understand all those codes and that helps if you're having a problem with your car.

Am I starting to sound like a Luddite?

Bob

#154592 - 03/25/12 08:34 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: jazzmammal]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Bob
Re-read his post -
"When I go to control panel/sound&audio devices/hardware/ double click on my audio card/properties.

This is not an RB term. It's Windows

#154593 - 03/25/12 10:29 AM Re: My turn with ASIO [Re: rharv]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Bob
Re-read his post -
"When I go to control panel/sound&audio devices/hardware/ double click on my audio card/properties.

This is not an RB term. It's Windows

Thanks Bob. Saved me the typing.
ASIO has been flawless since!
15.6" Monitor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
The Xtra Styles Special - There's Still Time!

There's still time to add over 160 professionally mixed RealStyles included in the new Xtra Styles PAKs for the introductory price of $29!

That's right - our Xtra Styles Special is going strong, but time is running out! Until September 30, 2016 you can purchase the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 for just $29 (reg. $49).
www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php

The Xtra Styles PAKs require the RealTracks and RealDrums included in your Band-in-a-Box® 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition. A handful of these new RealStyles use RealTracks from the 2016 49-PAK. If you don't have the 2016 49-PAK, there is a special purchase option: the "All Xtra Styles PAK 1 & 2016 49-PAK Bundle" for just $49! Note: This package is only available until September 30th.

Once you've added the Xtra Styles PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® collection, create an original song using one of the 164 RealStyles included and enter it in our Xtra Styles Contest!
There are four prizes of $150 "PG Bucks" to be won - one for each genre: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter! Entries can be submitted until midnight September 30, 2016. Click here for complete contest details.

Add versatility and a modern flair to your current RealTracks and RealDrums library with Xtra Styles PAKs!

#FunFactFriday - Where is PG Music Inc?

Did you know that PG Music Inc. is located in Victoria, British Columbia (Canada)?

Victoria, BC is located on Vancouver Island. Don't let the name fool you, we are not located in Vancouver (a common mistake...)

Our city is home to and endless list of attractions, including: the Legislature Building (we are the capital city of British Columbia), the Craigdarroch Castle, loads of Art Galleries, Butchart Gardens, the Royal BC Museum, CFB Esquimalt, and loads of other great tourist stops! We are also lucky enough to have a huge music scene (a few of our PG Team members perform often!).

There has also been a lot of movies and TV shows filmed here - including X-Men, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and X-Men: The Last Stand (Royal Roads University is the Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters)!

Want to learn more about Victoria? Visit the Tourism Victoria website: www.tourismvictoria.com/

Herb Hartley's Song Success!

If you frequent the User Showcase Forum, then you've likely heard one of the many songs shared by "Guitarhacker" (Herb Hartley) - most recently Something To Die For & Jesus Is Risen.

Well, Herb just announced that his songs have also landed some TV show placements - how amazing is that!?!
In case you missed it, read all about this announcement here.

Here at PG Music, we think this is awesome! Congratulations Herb!

#TBT - The MIDI File Chord Interpretation Wizard!

Travel back in time to December 2001, and the release of Band-in-a-Box 11 for Windows... which included the new feature The MIDI File Chord Interpretation Wizard!

This new feature was described as:
Many people who play music by ear think of songs in terms of “Chords and Melody.” However many MIDI files lack chord symbols, so they become difficult to learn without the user having to figure out the chords in a time consuming process. Now you can open up any MIDI file in Band-in-a-Box, and Band-in-a-Box will automatically figure out the chords of the song for you. It automatically analyzes the MIDI file, figures out where the bass, piano, melody and other tracks are, and then figures out the chord changes for the song. The chords are written onto the Band-in-a-Box chordsheet like any other song. This allows you to quickly learn how to play a song from a MIDI file - just read it into Band-in-a-Box and you’ll see the chord symbols, and then learn the Melody! You can also read tracks into the Melody and Soloist tracks.

If you're interested in reading about all the features released with Band-in-a-Box 11, visit this page. Other new features added with this version back in 2001 include Jazz Music Fonts for Notes, Symbols, Chords & Titles, Multiple Tracks of Notation, "Direct-to-Disk Audio Rendering, and more!

Introducing The Band-in-a-Box Keychain!

For just $5 you can add your very own Band-in-a-Box keychain to any order you place with us!

When placing an order for any item on our website, our shopping cart will offer to add this item to your shipment.

You can also purchase it on its own, here: www.pgmusic.com/bb_keychain.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2016 Chord Sheet Enhancements

With Band-in-a-Box® 2016 (for both Windows & Mac) we added some great Chord Sheet enhancements that included Layers, chord display options, customizable color options, mouse-over indicators, changing the number of columns that are displayed, and more!

We explain and demonstrate this new feature in our Band-in-a-Box® 2016 New Feature Video:
For Windows: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=iKUE4vSfISc&t=1323
For Mac: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_eqADUKt71A&t=1998

Welcome to the PG Team Will & Mathew!

We are thrilled to announce that we have recently added two new faces to our PG Team: Will Ballantyne and Mathew Valente!

Will and Mathew have joined our Customer Service team, and bring with them some strong musical talent as well as backgrounds that include technical & sales support!

Welcome to the team, Will & Mathew!

Forum Stats
25166 Members
45 Forums
41333 Topics
331486 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
5-Stringunzucd, Display Name, XrayB, Gaelan - PG Music, Davedutt

25166 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 236