Go To
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I've noticed that when I sing at relatively low volumes along with a recording on my stereo - I find my voice tolerable and usually not so far off key. If I then TURN the stereo off and sing a capella - imitating what I just practiced along with the original recording of the song, - still not so bad.

If I then try singing the same way with a fellow guitar player - both of us strumming the chords - it's like I've never learned to hold the tune ever.

Now I'm a guitar player that's singing mostly to make pop songs sound better, because it's too hard and inconvenient to find a singer that is always around when I need him or her. And without vocals, let's face it - most pop songs are empty, even if the melody is played on another guitar. It's ok sometimes IMHO to do a pop song without a singer, and the melody played on the guitar - but it gets old fast IMHO.

So my guess is my less satisfying vocal experience playing with another guitar player and trying to sing at the same time comes from 2 things:

1.) NOT amplifying my voice - because I think I'm trying to sing up to the volume of the guitars - which often requires far more volume than my 'bedroom practice' along with and without the stereo

2.) a slightly innaccurate interpretation of my own voice's contribution to the recorded song (and wishful thinking) - when singing along with the original recording lol

3.) without vocal training - I think it's easier to hold higher notes at lower singing volumes, whereas as soon as you try to do the same at a higher volume - all bets are off

Have any of you experience the same ?

Now I haven't practiced singing through a microphone at lower levels - but have any of you without stellar God-given voices found that singing and practicing at lower volumes through an amplified microphone produces a better result than trying to 'belt it out' ?

Last edited by Joe V; 07/18/16 04:37 AM.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Couple of things...

Make sure you are singing in the best key for your voice. Use a capo to find the best range and your voice will be stronger.

For intimate settings I have switched to fingerpicking with bare fingers. Acoustic guitars, especially when played with a pick, tend to overpower unamplified vocals.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
A simple solution is to turn down the guitar's volume!

If strumming with a hard pick try either a soft one or your fingers. Strum closer or on the fret board. Do not attack the strings. As suggested one or both of you finger pick.

Try micing only your vocal. Sing at your 'bedroom practice' volume and let the amp do the rest. You will probably have to sing via a mic at a club so practice that now.

If you want to hear two acoustic guitars and a couple of voices I can send you a cover that BobH and I did about a month ago. We sang into one condenser mic and recorded it. BobH is singing lead and playing a steel string guitar with his fingers and I sang the harmonies and played my acoustic 12 string via a hard pick.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

Like you I believe I sing better at low volume than I do when I'm singing loud enough to be heard however, the occasional comments from family members have convinced me that I am fooling myself. The truth is singing requires energy and enthusiasm even if you're singing the slowest and most mournful song. Think about trying to sing "Happy Birthday" like you mean it at a whisper volume level, I don't think it can be done; especially in a recording.

You breathe differently when singing and playing guitar than when just singing. You or I are not professional singers or recording artists so we need to be able to concentrate on doing one task (playing guitar, singing or recording a performance) as best we can.

Just my thoughts about an excellent question.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Think about trying to sing "Happy Birthday" like you mean it at a whisper volume level, I don't think it can be done; especially in a recording.

Actually, it can be done, but the results are less than spectacular. smile

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
To get to the point I have to elaborate a little.

I am a square dance caller. Square dance calling is a kind of karaoke. The difference is that we improvise our text. This text is a kind of scat or gibberish for the uninformed public. To not lecture too much this should be sufficient for now.

There are reasons for a square dance caller to buy specially produced backing tracks. These tracks are usually produced in a key comfortable for the average singer. If your vocal range is not average you have to select the music that you want to use very carefully.

So, if you want to sing a certain song in public, you have to try it in performance mode. Performance mode is not whispering or low volume. I tell new callers to select their music by singing the highest and the lowest notes of this song as loud as they would sing this song on stage. The personal vocal range spans a larger interval in low volume as it would if you'd sing it on stage.

Summary:
A large vocal range is easier to achieve in low volume. Singing louder reduces your ability to reach highest and lowest notes of a song on key. A fact that you can notice in many pop songs where the singer has started the respective song a second or a third too high.

Anyway: You can expand your vocal range using useful practice techniques. A good coach can help you to make your voice stronger and more versatile, a bad one will ruin your voice.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you want to be a better singer, you must sing. Sing all the time.

Do you run? If so, SING while you run. It will develop your vocal strength.

Most folks who "can't sing" are like that because they have weak vocal muscles. Running and singing will make your voice stronger. Many folks with weak singing voices sound like what Barney Fife looks like, bench pressing 100lbs. The answer is to build up those muscles so you can hold those notes.

There are more than a few examples of singers with "less than stellar" sounding voices who have learned to sing with the voice God gave them and have made careers from it.

this is just but one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drSMRqINdaA

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
this is just but one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drSMRqINdaA

I wouldn't pick Tom Waits as a singer who "learned to sing with the voice God gave them", as early recording of him show that's not his natural voice, any more than Pee-Wee Herman's voice is Paul Reuben's natural voice.

But whether you believe he got that voice by screaming into a pillow (good story) or simply taught himself to sing that way (more likely), pairing a voice that matched the character did his career good.

So (details aside) it makes Guitarhacker's point anyway. wink

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"I wouldn't pick Tom Waits as a singer who "learned to sing with the voice God gave them", as early recording of him show that's not his natural voice..."

Actually, that is his natural voice. He speaks like he sings. grin

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

I've also heard him speak (and sing, I enjoyed the show), and yes, that's his sound.

But it wasn't "the voice God gave him."

Folk who have heard early recordings say that's not what he sounded like.

Tom says he developed his sound by screaming into a pillow. Years of cigarettes and drinking have refined the tone. wink

Which again, shows what you can do if you're serious about vocal training. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

I've also heard him speak (and sing, I enjoyed the show), and yes, that's his sound.

But it wasn't "the voice God gave him."

Folk who have heard early recordings say that's not what he sounded like.

Tom says he developed his sound by screaming into a pillow. Years of cigarettes and drinking have refined the tone. wink

Which again, shows what you can do if you're serious about vocal training. laugh

Whatever you say, man. You've obviously known him longer than I have. grin

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Joe, it seems you are surreptitiously asking questions about live performance and cover all one of technical questions you really don't need to worry about. Here's my advice: pick two songs you love to sing, if you don't love singing forget about the whole singing performance thing. If you do love singing, practice the living daylights out of those two songs until you can do them wrote without thought. Practice singing them loudly. Pick an open mic date at the bitter end no more than 2 months from now. That is enough time with just 15 minutes a day to totally nail those songs Commit to that date and just go do it. Louder singing is nearly always better than quiet singing from the sound engineers perspective and if you dont have a way to amplify your voice, you still win. What you describe as being easier to stay on pitch at low volume is common, but practice singing louder to overcome the issue. The guy running sound at the bitter end will be very likely a somewhat seasoned pro. You and your duet partner get on the list and let him/her worry about the sound, you just give him/her enough volume to work with with voices and guitars and it will be great. Forget about the amp for now. You will want to practice singing "around" a mic, where your mouth is about an inch from the mic and you move "naturally" around that pivot point. That takes practice, and why I put the quotes there. Your questions leads one to presume that live singing into a mic and maintaining consistent proximity is not something you do regularly. Definitely practice that. Do it in front of a mirror. Practice until the guy you see in the mirror looks like he is having a good time. Then get to that open mic and kill it!

Last edited by rockstar_not; 07/20/16 07:49 PM.
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Again - great advice from all. I've picked my songs, and I'm working them. I've learned that for me - learning all the words to a song feels like it takes forever, even for songs I've listened to 1000 times. I think all my life I had the impression it shouldn't take so long - because of how simple it is to open a book with chords on top and sound good. Now - in hindsight, how silly is that ? I can open a book and sound pretty good interpretting a poem - but it's apparent to me that memorizing that poem would take a long, long time.

I have changed my expectations and time frame, and I'm putting far more time into it than I ever have - and I'm seeing slow but steady results. Now I just have to stay with the routine long enough to nail at least a few from beginning to end.

Again - you guys have helped me enormously, thank you.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,694
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198