Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I just got the external USB drive for the band in a box UltraPack. I have watched the setup videos at the link below (describes 3 types of setup). I just noticed there is no setup.exe in the root directory of the hard drive. Am I missing something here.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Veteran
Veteran
I think it is BiaB executable, not named simply setup.exe as is common.

They've called the file Band-In-A-Box Setup.exe for a while now.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I tried running the Band-In-A-Box.exe file but that is a shortcut directly to the BIAB program. To confirm this the actual BIAB program appeared. Also when I ran that shortcut I get errors because the BIAB program is not installed properly (not in the windows registry etc).

The setup.exe (which is mentioned in the read-me file) is suppose to pull up an install program with three options (actually 4 options now). So there is suppose to be a setup.exe. I am pretty sure it is suppose to be in the root directory. I just find it kind of hard to believe that this file could be missing if I am correct about it being in the root directory. Someone must have missed it when loading this external USB drive.

Sales is closed now. I am trying the download from their website but it is 1.9 gig and I have no idea what is going to be inside that file (will it extract this setup.exe file).

Last edited by bowlesj; 07/29/16 01:27 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
You sure there isn't a Setup.exe?

Is your system hiding it on that drive (maybe due to folder options or permissions)?

I was wrong in my post above, I do have a setup.exe that I didn't see at first.
Is it possible your antivirus is blocking it?
I've seen that before; the AV thinks it should be quarantined so hides it.

There was a period of time where PGMusic's registered digital signature expired and triggered some AV programs to react.

Last edited by rharv; 07/29/16 01:37 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
It is windows 10. I change it to show the .exe extensions which is of course why I see the Band-In-A-Box.exe file with the .exe. Win 10 has norton. I would think that if Norton was going to hide the setup.exe it would also hide the Band-In-A-Box.exe. I don't know how to disable norton without uninstalling it. I just checked the norton menu and I do not see any option to exit the program.

What I did is I copied the whole external USB hard drive to my D drive. Apparently I could have done the setup.exe install from there. So what I have just done is copied that install file down from their website (the one that is 1.9 gig). I ran it. It does not have the three options but I suspect it may just work since I want to install this without using the external hard drive (using that as a backup). I will try it.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
John,

I don't know anything about Windows 10 but I don't recall reading before that it came with Norton. I might be wrong here but I suspect that that's one of the 'optional' add-ons that came with your machine during the installation of Windows 10. Companies are sometimes a bit deceptive in relation to this. If you didn't buy Norton, I suspect that eventually you are going to get messages that tell you you need to purchase it or else suffer the dreaded consequences.

The reason I mention the above is because there have been a number of instances over the years where Norton automatically deletes PG Music setup files because it sees them as a virus. It also seems that it sometimes does this without notification. This happens despite the fact that PG Music regularly keeps anti-virus software companies up to date.

I wonder if this is what has happened to you. On my USB drive, the install file is SETUP.EXE.

The good news is that PG Music will certainly be able to give you the file you need. The not-so-good new is that if Norton is at fault, it will delete it again unless you disable Norton or remove it.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't used a Norton product (once really great stufff before he sold it) in decades. It is not part of Windows 10 but probably was bundled by your vendor as suggested. There has to be a way to disable it without uninstalling. I agree, we have seen setup.exe trigger a false positive a few years ago.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi bowlesj,

look for:

bandinabox_realband_2016_full.exe or

bandinabox_realband_2016_ultra.exe

These are the most probable names of the BIAB installer.

HTH,

Last edited by LtKojak; 07/29/16 08:23 PM.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thanks for the ideas guys. I just checked and avast has a free version for windows 10. I will get rid of the norton which I don't trust anyway and try avast. Before I do this however I will do some research and see if there is a way to return a file from the norton virus vault. If I am successful in returning it I will post how I did it.

In the meantime I have been downloading from the BIAB website and installing gradually.

Thanks again,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 07/30/16 04:47 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Okay I found the setup.exe file and yes Norton Quarantined it without telling me it was going to do this or telling me that it did it.

Getting it back was easy. I went to the list of programs in windows 10, pulled up norton, went to the security tab, went to history, clicked the drop down box, chose quarantine, chose restore (after I plugged the external hard drive in that is) and it put it back. There is also a checkbox you can leave checked to stop norton from doing this again.

That is the good thing about avast. It at least tells you what it is going to do first. Avast is far better than AVG too.

I now know why norton is not very well liked. It is very difficult to send them an email to complain so I guess they just don't learn all that well. I tried MSI but they were not available by email so I complained to Canada Computers.

Last edited by bowlesj; 07/30/16 06:59 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Norton products were superb in the early days of PCs. Norton Commander was our power tool of choice. His name recognition allowed Norton Antivirus to get market share, but he had sold the company by then if I recall correctly. What I immediately didn't like about it was, this was what I would call the first good example of bloatware; it slowed down the PC too much.

Periodic reviews of antivirus software put Norton in the middle. It's not like it's a must-have because of its performance.

There was a news item a few months ago that Avast and AVG were merging. Don't know how accurate it was.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I use to use AVG but when I went to the latest version about 3 or 4 years ago it immediately started telling me I had a low level virus that is found in the boot sector (They call it a rootkit and standard virus checking can not find it). I was on a trading website and these people tend to really know computers. One guy stepped in who really knows this stuff. He suggested I use a program to clear the drive totally (zero fill it completely), partition it and install windows without internet being plugged in then immediately install AVG. By doing this I could be 100% sure there was no virus anywhere on the disk drive. I did this and AVG still told me the rootkit was there. That was the last I used AVG and I have been using Avast ever since. Avast use to have a rootkit check as well. I am not sure if it is still in the free version.

Anyway, this norton thing created a problem for me. I didn't want to wait all weekend for BIAB support to get back to me about the missing setup.exe file so I started using the downloads from the website to install BIAB 2016. One of these files has given an error during download 3 times in a row. While thinking about this problem it occurred to me that since I have the external USB drive with BIAB then maybe it would be possible to simply copy the (F:\BB files from the external disk drive into the new notebook C:\BB directory) then repeat this for the (F:\RealBand files into the C:\RealBand directory). I am pretty sure this should work since the initial download which actually installs BIAB and registers it with windows worked fine. I am thinking this will save me a huge amount of time and reduce the chances I will exceed my internet download limit for this month. I also was thinking it is better than uninstalling BIAB and using the setup.exe file process now that it is there since this will tend to fragment the drive. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this idea?

Last edited by bowlesj; 07/30/16 01:09 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
John,

I'm glad that my hunch about Norton was correct and that you managed to get Setup.exe back. I've been an Avast! user for many years and it's been good.

The copy and paste method you describe will work fine. If you've already installed the BIAB and RB programs, you may well not need to do anything more.

Usually after copying and pasting, it's necessary to run setup.exe (or equivalent) and install the minimum program setup. This is what gets the system and the registry organised and running.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thanks Noel, I started that copy and paste operation. I was also thinking I would not overwrite any files already in the C:\bb directory and this would make it very safe to do so. The idea was that they may have a pointer file in there of some sort pointing to C:\bb and I would want to leave that intact. When it all completes and I try BIAB for a while I will report back.

Last edited by bowlesj; 07/30/16 01:35 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
I will get rid of the norton which I don't trust anyway and try avast.

Win 10 comes with Defender.

I've been using it since Win 7 (formerly called MS Security Essentials") and I've never, ever had a problem with any virus or any other nasty.

Why slow the computer down using Avast or any other AV, for that matter?

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Journeyman
Journeyman
Norton did the same to me but for some reason would not allow me to restore it.
Norton was immediatley "binned", switched to Avira which I'm much happier with.
Glad you got your setup.exe back.
BTW You can just run the individual installers to install without the setup.exe

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199