Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#358852 07/29/16 07:12 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey before I hit the road for a while, I thought I would point out something I have noticed about the forum. About 90 percent of the people who post stuff and receive comments also leave comments and listen to the people who listen to their music.

However, there seems to be a very thin minority of some posters who are posting a lot stuff but don't seem to get around to responding very much to those who are their listeners, if you look at the statistics.

That might not be the best of forum etiquette in the best of all possible worlds, and I am not saying this with any criticism, just an observation, as I said, in case it is helpful in any way.

Great stuff out there people.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
there seems to be a very thin minority of some posters who are posting a lot stuff but don't seem to get around to responding very much to those who are their listeners, if you look at the statistics. That might not be the best of forum etiquette

Admitting my ignorance of any statistic on this subject and based on my daily reading here in the forums, I would have guessed there's actually a thicker minority that would fit into your observation.

Personally, I've listened to a great deal of submissions in the User Showcase but very rarely comment for a few reasons.

But, even though I do have (4) BIAB tunes finished up since I got the program (about 2+ years ago) I've never been in the habit of overtly asking anyone to listen to my material....maybe I'm terrified of the truth. smile

If someone does, I'm grateful...good comments or unfavorable...they still took the time to listen.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I agree...if someone is continually posting their songs and soliciting listens (or honest comments) then it seems fair to expect them to listen to others consistently and comment also.

It'll be curious to hear what others think of your 'observation'.

Carry on...

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 07/29/16 08:48 AM.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
David, if 90 percent of those posting songs are also listening/commenting that would seem to me to be pretty good; I would have thought something less than that! I mostly use the forums for learning and entertainment. I have listened to a few songs here just to get a feel for what people are doing with BIAB but I have never posted any of my own stuff here.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Like John, I've never posted any of my recordings in the forum. There is a certain amount of self enforcement on the User Forum in that those who post without commenting on others posts or upload too often get chastised. The only motivation I would have to post my own work would be as an educational tool, and there is more than enough available for that purpose without me jumping in.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Don't overlook the fact that PMs are also used, especially between friends. I am delinquent in responding but I often listen. If something is especially noteworthy, I try to post an encouraging comment. I don't think it's encouraging to post negative comments. I always try to be positive.

Don

Off-Topic
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Originally Posted By: KeithS
Like John, I've never posted any of my recordings in the forum. There is a certain amount of self enforcement on the User Forum in that those who post without commenting on others posts or upload too often get chastised. The only motivation I would have to post my own work would be as an educational tool, and there is more than enough available for that purpose without me jumping in.

I don't post very often on any of the forums or at all on the user songs forum. I am more of a lurker.

I do read and listen to some of the songs. Usually I feel as its the same people who post songs that they have got so familiar with each other, that they are afraid to give an honest assessment, and words like, Wow what a performance, a keeper for sure, professional all round, another masterpiece, You have surpassed yourself this time, constantly patting each other on the back.

Nothing wrong in that, we all like to get our ego boosted, and to be encouraged, but maybe not the best way to get a true assessment of a song.

There is some outstanding songs from the users but because people are reluctant to separate the wood from the trees, only makes the forum of less value I feel.

Of course this is my own humble opinion, and as it seems to be working well in the song forum, long may it continue.

Axey

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I have posted a couple of songs. My hope was to get confirmation that I was on the right path to improved music. As a rank rookie to BB or RB, I value the opinions of more experienced people.

While I appreciate hearing nice words, that is not exactly what I am after. To form a good knife, one must endure the heat of the crucible. I am good with that.

Now, I will not voice an opinion on the work of others for a while. The reason is simple. I am not yet qualified to do so. Meanwhile I continue to put one foot in front of the other, always working to attain the elusive goal of a professional sounding product.

Learn more about my music at:
http://georgeireton.com/music-then-now
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I do read and listen to some of the songs. Usually I feel as its the same people who post songs that they have got so familiar with each other, that they are afraid to give an honest assessment, and words like, Wow what a performance, a keeper for sure, professional all round, another masterpiece, You have surpassed yourself this time, constantly patting each other on the back.

Nothing wrong in that, we all like to get our ego boosted, and to be encouraged, but maybe not the best way to get a true assessment of a song.

this is a true observation, but it's worth pointing out that the user showcase is first and foremost a showcase for the products made by PGMusic, and its function is to make visitors want what the people posting songs have.

If criticism abounded here (as it does on many song writing forums) then it would create a negative impression in the minds of many potential customers, and that would do a disservice to the good people at PGMusic, and to their products.

There are plenty of song writing forums where people who want honest critique can get it. Many of the people who post songs here also post in those forums, so they aren't looking for pats on the back.. they love to write songs and share them

Plus, over time, people who share a passion and an involvement in any community (even online forums) tend to become friends. Therefore, they respond as to friends.

Having talked about this very thing with many of the people who post on the showcase, it is my belief that people only say what they truly believe. They may filter out the negative stuff for the sake of kindness... but whatever they DO say is sincere.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
regarding the original observation about etiquette:

Quote:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

(If you want reviews for your songs, then take time to review other peoples' songs)

Quote:
"what goes around comes around"

(Whatever kind of reviews you give will tend to come back to you. Negative reviews lead to negative reviews of your songs. Short reviews of other peoples' songs lead to short reviews of your songs. Well considered and articulate reviews lead to more of the same)

Quote:
"behavior that is rewarded tends to be repeated"

(Rewarding those who don't review other peoples' songs by reviewing theirs reinforces the behavior of posting but not reviewing.

Likewise, once it becomes obvious that the path to getting feedback involves GIVING feedback, the problem takes care of itself, without need for confrontation or chiding or any kind of active intervention at all. )

It has been my experience that people don't really want attaboys... what they want is a solid description of what you heard in their song. I never EVER want to hear a comment like "sounds great!" because that doesn't tell me anything at all, and it strikes me as being a bit patronizing.

But to hear something like "I liked the way the strings entered the song at 2:03... it ramped up the emotion ..." such comments are really useful indicators of how my creative decisions impacted the listening experience

(standard disclaimer: my 2 cents)

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
[quote]this is a true observation, but it's worth pointing out that the user showcase is first and foremost a showcase for the products made by PGMusic, and its function is to make visitors want what the people posting songs have.

That's a very good reminder regarding the actual purpose of the User Showcase....something that is not generally at the forefront of my thinking when checking out User Showcase songs.
PG makes an amazing product(s) and they seem to be a great team also.
I'm very pleased with my entry into the BIAB fold (BIAB 2015 UltraPlusPak)

Back to it....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 07/30/16 05:17 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: George Ireton
I have posted a couple of songs. My hope was to get confirmation that I was on the right path to improved music. As a rank rookie to BB or RB, I value the opinions of more experienced people.

While I appreciate hearing nice words, that is not exactly what I am after. To form a good knife, one must endure the heat of the crucible. I am good with that.

Now, I will not voice an opinion on the work of others for a while. The reason is simple. I am not yet qualified to do so. Meanwhile I continue to put one foot in front of the other, always working to attain the elusive goal of a professional sounding product.

George,

I'm with you completely. I don't feel qualified to critique others knowing the fabulous talent on these PG Forums. Perhaps that accounts for a lot of "praise" comments.

I enjoy reading that someone enjoys my efforts but I can read insincerity at 100 miles. Most people and dogs can.

I especially enjoy comments from the more professionally experienced folks here because they have survived the bruises associated with music and now have both canoe paddles in the water.

As Mac would say: YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
“...it's worth pointing out that the user showcase is first and foremost a showcase for the products made by PGMusic, and its function is to make visitors want what the people posting songs have.”

Roger that. Prospective customers can hear the tremendous scope of the programs, from Folk to Rock and Country and Jazz; even a bit of Ragtime. It's not a songwriting forum; it's a software forum.

As for comments/reviews/critiques, I have personally never been comfortable critiquing other people's work. If I were a platinum-selling writer I might....but probably still not. grin Who am I to tell you to lose a bridge or re-write a verse?

I try to listen and comment when I can say something positive, but critique? Nope.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
I try to listen and comment when I can say something positive, but critique? Nope.

Don't be so harsh. Critique itself is neither postive nor negative. Critique is what you make it to be. Even a simple "I didn't know that you're that good." is critique.

And by the way: Even if you say "That is bad." you just do express your opinion. Your opinion is always right. But the addressee doesn't have to accept it. (He or she also should not argue about it.)

Critique is a Latin based word expressing the English "feedback".
It is given for an incident in the past.
It is given in the present.
It is given with the hope to enhance [the receiver's] behavior in the future.

So if you have to express a perceived negative critique, by all means reason it. The above "That is bad" is bad critique-behavior. Phrase it so that the recipient of your opinion can understand why this is your opinion and what you think could be done to improve. Maybe it is your reasoning that leads to the road to perfection.

Last edited by GHinCH; 07/30/16 11:44 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Don't be so harsh. Critique itself is neither postive nor negative. Critique is what you make it to be. Even a simple "I didn't know that you're that good." is critique.

And by the way: Even if you say "That is bad." you just do express your opinion. Your opinion is always right. But the addressee doesn't have to accept it. (He or she also should not argue about it.)

Critique is a Latin based word expressing the English "feedback".
It is given for an incident in the past.
It is given in the present.
It is given with the hope to enhance [the receiver's] behavior in the future.

So if you have to express a perceived negative critique, by all means reason it. The above "That is bad" is bad critique-behavior. Phrase it so that the recipient of your opinion can understand why this is your opinion and what you think could be done to improve. Maybe it is your reasoning that leads to the road to perfection.

I don't think that was 'harsh'. Must be the language barrier. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As is so often the case... this thread is getting way off track from what David was stating in his original post (my opinion, of course).

It has transmutated into "should we be critiquing other people's work?" when all he was saying was "Why don't you guys who dump your songs in the Showcase PARTICIPATE????"

I agree that the Showcase should be focused on What Is Possible Using Band-In-A-Box. Songs in the Showcase (in particular, Steve Young's - Steve..where are you?) convinced me to buy BIAB. Over the last few years, the variety and quality of Showcase songs has expanded greatly. Hopefully, that has translated in sales of the product. The more sales, the more solid PGMusic, and the more likely that we will continue to get incredible new features, upgrades, and RealTracks....

It is time consuming to listen to all the songs that get posted. But it is as much a social network as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn are... and much more personal and satisfying...

So, David's "question" is directed to those who simply dump their songs (constantly) expecting some attention, when they are not willing to put in the time required to pay attention to the other members of the community - who they expect to support them... pretty simple question....

If you take, you ought to give.

It takes a village...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is an interesting thread and has got me thinking over the last two days. What I am going to say here is based on my own personal situation but it may be of use to others who are in a similar position.

My musical activity has recently been curtailed. I went back to work mornings only. This was for a number of reasons but the main one was that I like the financial freedom that working for a salary brings me. I like the “thud” (as my friend who is a free-lance photographer would say) that comes from a monthly salary landing in my bank account every month. It brings me the freedom to pursue my other interests such as sailing, skiing and traveling to Band-in-a-Box meet-ups in America! That is not the topic under discussion here but is related.

Since starting work again, I have less time to devote to music. I have to decide how I am going to best spend my limited time. I am spending a quite a bit time on other social networks as well as doing live steaming and writing and recording new material. I still LOVE Band-in-a-Box and use it nearly every-day of my life. However, I feel lately that I am one of those people who is “dumping” my songs on the user forum and not commenting on other songs as I used to do. So my quandary is whether to post my new songs to the user forum at all if I am not going to make the time to listen and comment on others contributions?

I suppose it comes down to the purpose of the user forum. Is the purpose of the user showcase so that we, as users of Band-in-a-Box, can share what we produce using this amazing software (as was mentioned earlier in this thread) and from this PG Music can get new users excited about the product OR is it another social network (as was also mentioned earlier in this post)?

If it is the former, then posting songs and not commenting on others would seem “normal” while if it is the latter then this is “abnormal”. If it is the latter then whether you use the user show case as a social network will surely depend on your own personal musical goals. I am finding that the effort I am putting into other social networks where consumers of music (rather than producers of music) hang out is bearing some fruit towards my own personal goals.

All that said, this community has helped me so much over the last three years that I don’t want to lose that. But, is the Off-topic forum is a better place for people like me to hang out and not share the new stuff I am writing and recording?

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't post songs and seldom listen to others. Please don't misunderstand, it's not because I am not interested in the music made by my forum friends, it's because my Internet connection is too slow.

I live about 3 miles from the end of the fiber optics cable which makes the quickest I can get is DSL-Light, and by the time it gets here it's full of errors. So the buffering can take what is seemingly forever. I get too impatient to sit there and wait for the buffering, hear 7 or 8 bars then have it buffer some more for perhaps 15 seconds.

It's the price I pay for living in paradise.

Most people around her use Cable TV, but I haven't watched TV at all since 1985, and they won't let me have Cable Internet without Cable TV. I refuse to pay an additional $50/month for something I will get absolutely no use from. Plus, if my neighbors are telling the truth, it goes down a lot. It's fast while it's up, but the rain seems to be its enemy.

I gigged on cruise ships for 3 years in the late 1980s and got out of the habit of watching TV (they didn't have TV on the ships then). When I got back on land, I hooked the cable back up but in a few months I found I wasn't watching it, so I had them disconnect it.

I found I'd rather do things myself than live my life vicariously by watching actors pretending to do things.

Full disclosure, I have the minimum Netflix DVD in the mail account, so I watch about two rented movies per month, and that's the only time the TV gets turned on.

So with my slow Internet connection and my refusal to pay $600/year additional for the TV which I won't watch, I am not able to enjoy the music of my Internet friends.

But I live with a lagoon to the east, a nature preserve to the west, and my half acre lot is one of the smallest around, most others are 50-100 acres. Before zoning some guy divided half of his 56 acre lot and built a cottage per year on the other half. I was lucky enough to find this one when I was looking to buy a house. It's paid for now and worth about 4 times more than I paid for it, of course with mortgage interest, it means I've about broken even wink

So please don't be offended if I don't listen.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some forums sites require you to comment on a certain number of other folks music before you can post....

5 or 10 listens with comments on each to one post of a song.

Fortunately, PG doesn't have such arcane rules.... so the folks here should be kind enough to comment on others music.

You don't have to be a platinum writer/producer to say simply that you liked the song and why you liked it or why you didn't. If you want to critique, try to explain your commentary as best you can. Although I can certainly see why folks might not want to critique others music..... quite a few people don't take crits very well..... but that's beside the point. And yeah, I know my crits and comments have at times, ruffled a few feathers around the User Showcase..... my apologies... uhhhhh...... no, not really. None of my comments are ever intended as a personal slam. They are my personal opinion and if they rub you the wrong way, maybe you should see if they are valid in even the most remote way.

Make the effort to listen and comment.... that's the point of this post and the forum. I can listen to every song in the forum but if I don't comment, the writers never know it. This is especially important to the new guys and gals coming in. Try not to make your first appearance in the forum as a song post and then disappear until the next song you post..... become part of the family and people will respond to your music better.

By being a part of the songs forum, participating in the posting of songs as well as the commentary and critiques on the song, you will learn a lot. You have the opportunity to ask questions for the ones who are posting radio ready music.... "Hey man, how did you do that thing right there in that song?" ... "What's your signal chain on the guitar?"..... "What reverb are you using on the BGV?".....and you will generally get an answer.

There's a whole lot of really good experience residing here in the PG forums.... but unless you ask, you can not learn. So comment..... let the posters of the songs know you're here, and share in the knowledge.

( and yes, I'm as guilty as anyone about not commenting on every song, so drag me over the coals if you wish )

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 07/31/16 03:57 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Since starting work again, I have less time to devote to music. I have to decide how I am going to best spend my limited time. I am spending a quite a bit time on other social networks as well as doing live steaming and writing and recording new material. I still LOVE Band-in-a-Box and use it nearly every-day of my life. However, I feel lately that I am one of those people who is “dumping” my songs on the user forum and not commenting on other songs as I used to do. So my quandary is whether to post my new songs to the user forum at all if I am not going to make the time to listen and comment on others contributions?

I can't speak for everybody, but here's my take on your situation, Josie: You've already shown yourself to be a participant and a team player. I doubt that anybody who has a life can find time to comment on everything. The objection is toward people who dump & run consistently.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If we look at the showcase as being an ad for BIAB, then we would want lots of participation... (whether people comment or not)

True, a culture of participation and encouragement has evolved on the forum, and I like that a lot. I hope it continues.

But the ad value of posts far outweighs the question of whether the poster replied to our songs.

For example, Recently TexasHeartRush has posted some demos that I think really showcase the capabilities of PGMusic products quite well... but he tends not to review other peoples' songs.

If I were in PGMusic's shoes, I'd want to see lots of posts like his. I certainly would NOT want to discourage him in any way from posting his work to the showcase!

The reviews are for OUR benefit, not for PGMusic's.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,610
Posts735,054
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191