Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Sorry to be a party pooper, but is that all?

"There are many exciting new features"

Such as?

redesign of the style picker?

Chord sheet enhanced?

No 64 bit, No VST, no bug fixes

If you take the last 1000 wishlist features have any been included?

Perhaps the real tracks are good and worth having, but is there anything really worthwhile? Id the program still littered with bugs and counterproductive, counter intuitive anomalies?

I hope someone can say there is something...

Z

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I had a similar reaction but I will probably upgrade anyway to get the new RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi John,
I just dont think the development team are listeing. I call it a team, but probably its just a couple of old school programmers

that's my opinion, I just don't think they care enough to do the work.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Music XML for one is a huge improvement for my workflow, and is in direct response to the Wishlist. The enhanced style picker also.

You will see more examples and positive comments in a thread in the main BIAB for Windows forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, Music XML for one is a huge improvement for my workflow, and is in direct response to the Wishlist. The enhanced style picker also.

You will see more examples and positive comments in a thread in the main BIAB for Windows forum.

I wonder how many BIAB users will actually use this? I guess if you need the feature it is great! laugh

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
In that same thread, I explain how one will indeed actually use this. Check it out.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
In that same thread, I explain how one will indeed actually use this. Check it out.

I guess I was interested in whether this is useful to everyone/most users or only those using a music notation program?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Such as?

Chord sheet enhanced?

Hello Zero,

I think we are underselling it by using the word enhanced ... Both the Chord sheet and StylePicker were actually rebuilt from the ground up so there are likely a ton of bugs and anomalies fixed that aren't documented. It also provides the foundation for adding other popular 'wishlist' requests that would have been very difficult to add before...

The new features video has a good demo of the Chord Sheet:
http://www.pgmusic.com/helpvideo.htm?vidid=8ePhe2qU-JE

We are currently adding to the New Features video, so it will soon have more feature demos.

The new StylePicker is important for the ease of browsing and finding styles and seeing information about them. The entire database of styles has been cleaned and categorized. You can even type in any popular song and it will find the best match - it "knows" the details about many thousands of tunes spanning several decades.

Those alone are significant features... There is also an absolutely huge amount of new material in RealTracks and other content like Artist Video Performance tutorials.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:
Such as?

Chord sheet enhanced?

Hello Zero,

I think we are underselling it by using the word enhanced ... Both the Chord sheet and StylePicker were actually rebuilt from the ground up so there are likely a ton of bugs and anomalies fixed that aren't documented. It also provides the foundation for adding other popular 'wishlist' requests that would have been very difficult to add before...

The new features video has a good demo of the Chord Sheet:
http://www.pgmusic.com/helpvideo.htm?vidid=8ePhe2qU-JE

We are currently adding to the New Features video, so it will soon have more feature demos.

The new StylePicker is important for the ease of browsing and finding styles and seeing information about them. The entire database of styles has been cleaned and categorized. You can even type in any popular song and it will find the best match - it "knows" the details about many thousands of tunes spanning several decades.

Those alone are significant features... There is also an absolutely huge amount of new material in RealTracks and other content like Artist Video Performance tutorials.

Andrew, thanks for that video! The changes to the Chord Sheet look very cool!! Can I print all of the lyrics and other info along with chords?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Watched the video. My studio is down at present so I can't access band in a box. I go a bit by my (unreliable) memory....

The video does not say too much about style picker, so maybe that's another video

The chord sheet window:

What I see seems very useful for sure. When I casually think of a song - e.g. Amazing Grace, I think of the lyrics primarily, when I play I think of the chords. This new feature in the chord window to display the lyrics is going to help me 'pictorally' memorise songs, so that lyrics and chords twin up - which is not the case in the remaining brain cells I possess - currently. I think that is a big improvement.

But...

Can you yet...

Load a VST, then hear it BEFORE you hit play - for audition purposes?

Is it still true that if you loop a section you can bounce out of it if your mouse moves and you click elsewhere? Is there any way to nail a loop down until you wish otherwise? Is it still such a lot of clicking and pointing to get a loop going and maintain it? Why not the facility to set up multiple loop regions and select and deselect them? Even save these sections with a song? You could have a loop layer, with green and yellow and purple loops - for easy eye location.

Is the recording process still so needlessly arduous and non transparent?

Why can't you see a recording? Either as MIDI or as Audio in a layer?

Even cut and paste different sections of takes, non destructively? IMO we need these facilities in BIAB and not have to outsource to some other program.

What happens if you have more than one verse? Lyric wise in the chord window?

How does this marry into the structure of a song, do we still have to write out all the repeats IF we want say alternate [a. b.)] endings, or lyrics?

Is there any view where you can see all the chords in a song, all the intros outros fills, in a structural way? Colorising these features (in pastel shades) would help them stand out in the mind.

It would be good to see a staff with MIDI on it, on the chord screen, optionally. I did not see that.

I notice in the notation window it's still blocky and unreadable when using lots of semiquaver activity, at one point the left hand side of a note completely disappeared. If the notation screen is like 2015, I found it leaped around in such a way as the eye had to be very nimble. Isn't there a way to show the notes passing your eye like items moving along an escalator - smoothly?

TBH the GUI still looks 1980's to me. Sorry, but I think my opinion is shared by many users. I just don't think that is going to attract new blood - which I wish for PG.

When looping, does the app still give visual anomalies as it jumps around, so the first take of a loop is dissimilar color wise to a second, in some cases?

As I suggested in a post a while back, PG BIAB users are unique in the way they interface with the GUI, because they have instruments in their hand, they might be on a stage in dim lighting, or in a studio with only one had to reach the GUI and a dodgy mouse mat. It just the nature of playing venues, studios, lighting/gear..
Has this been taken into account when redesigning the GUI? If you have to drill down in click land this gets hard to do quickly.

What is there is useful, but I find it hard to shout and scream about 'great new features' like being able to see a chord you type in. That sort of stuff I would take for granted anywhere else but in PG land

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 12/02/15 08:20 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Just a quick comment about the VST playing for audition: I stuck a cheap small Akai MPKmini MIDI keyboard on my system so I could check pitches. Once it is selected as my MIDI Input Device in BIAB, it is active the moment BIAB starts. These small keyboards are about $70 new, and there are used ones out there.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Yes Matt, but it should be auditionable after the VST is allocated - before a track starts.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I haven't gone through all your points yet, but on the topic of auditioning a VST, it should work if you are using ASIO drives. "ASIO always on" should to be selected in the audio settings.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Zero, I wasn't attempting to propose a fix, just a workaround by not using the VST. Andrew's post is hopeful, though.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Matt
I would like to know if the implementation of XML is all that we hoped for.

Do all the nuances of the song get transferred? Repeats, DS al coda, chords, note lyrics, text boxes, etc

I am waiting to find out before I buy, as it is my hot-button. The other stuff is nice, but only a better way of getting printed notation without ANY effort will convince me to move to a new version

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Funny, I just commented in another thread how you can scan music but not rely completely on the accuracy of what you get, especially with handwritten scores. I've only started experimenting with exporting a BIAB song to Music XML. My regular (but odd) notation software, Encore, won't read the chords. MuseScore does read the chords but I don't know how to prevent complex chord spellings from overlapping. So I can't answer your question positively yet.

PG Music has taken a critical step forward here, one I requested and am grateful for. I think it may need some shaking out, but I don't know which vendor is responsible to do that. You see, my limited experience is that Music XML is NOT seamless ANYWHERE. Like the scanner, there always seem to be quirks.

When I've had a lot more experience with this, I will share it (and continue reporting to PG Music).

I don't usually equivocate on an answer, but I'm not ready to state you can use it seamlessly, especially if this is your critical deciding issue.

And I wish we were talking about this in the main BIAB forum, not here.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
When I've had a lot more experience with this, I will share it ...

And I wish we were talking about this in the main BIAB forum, not here.

Agreed, this is good stuff. Thanks for keeping us informed. I look forward to the rest of the story.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Are there any plans for BIAB to go to 64-Bit???

Dave Evans
www.DaveEvansSolo.BandCamp.Com
BIAB Windows 64 bit 2019 - PreSonus Studio One Professional - Melodyne Studio - Finale - Sonar - Reaper - MS Office 365 64 bit
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Sorry to be a party pooper, but is that all?

"There are many exciting new features"

Such as?

- yes not just redesigned but redone from scratch including an amazing feature where you can type in the title to a song and it will choose compatible styles ordered from best to worst

Chord sheet enhanced?
- yes also completely redone with lots of new features including layers and other requested features

There are other major new features such as 201 new real tracks. This represents over 200 hours of digital studio audio recordings with top-of-the-line studio musicians. This brings the grand total to over 2500 hours of studio musician recordings in real tracks available with the full package

)))No 64 bit,
64 bit plugins are supported and work seemelessly with jbridge ($10). Otherwise the program is 32 bit and works fine on 32 and 64 bit OS`s

)))No VST,
Not sure what you mean there, but VST has been for years.
)))no bug fixes
_ we don't list bug fixes with a new release, but we do list them with the patches during the year. A rough estimate would be 50 bugs/issues fixed between 205 and 2016.

)))If you take the last 1000 wishlist features have any been included?
_ yes, many of the 60 new features came form the wish list.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Regardless of which package you purchase from Pro through Audiophile, the purchase price is worth it for just the Audio Chord Wizard alone.

Regardless which package you purchase, the purchase price is worth it just for the teaching and practice tools alone.

Regardless which package you purchase, the purchase price is worth it just for changing key signatures alone.

Regardless which package you purchase, the purchase price is worth it just for the fact BIAB/RB suite stand alone in the software world in the ease and quality of generating backing tracks.

If you make home movies and need a soundtrack, the BIAB Sound track feature may be the most valuable element of the software.

If you play live, it may be the conductor.

Value is always in the eye of the beholder. The bottom line is regardless of use or what you think the shortcomings of BIAB/RB are, you get your money's worth. For me, the ACW is invaluable.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,634
Posts735,249
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181