Go To
RealBand
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Dear Dr. Gannon:
Wonderful concept -sub par implementation. I have been using Band in a Box for 8 years and Real Band for almost 2 years. I am now convinced that your software is not written well. I have changed my computer and re-installed and rebooted enough to know that the problem is with the software and not with me or my system. The software crashes, gives many error messages, loses data while I am editing and does not perform functions as promised. I have spent hours on the phone with your tech support people who are nice and try to help- however a phone conversation will never solve the inherent problems with your code.

I do not feel comfortable spending more money with you by purchasing new Real Tracks until you fix the core problems with the programming. That would be like over-tipping a lousy waitress-it would be encouraging poor service.

Brand new HP Pav laptop Core i5 2.67 gHz 6 gb ram 500gb 7200rpm hd
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Well as I see it from reviewing your previous posts most of your problems could have been solved by reading the book!Which you obviously have not.
It's obvious to me that you do not have the experience with the program to be swinging such a broad sword. This also is not the way to make friends on this forum. I would say most of us here love both programs and support PG Music. It's not perfect that would be just as foolish to say.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Flash,

I'm sorry you're having so many troubles with Real Band. Maybe we do things differently, but RealBand hasn't crashed on me since the first beta.

I reviewed many of your previous posts, and from what I can see, most of your questions were answered. i would agree with John (Silvertones) that you might want to read the manual. Also, keep asking questions. Every computer system is a little different, but my experience has been that RealBand works very well.

When you have a problem, ask the question. Be sure to include your computer configuration (or if you get tired of typing it, put it in your user profile). That helps us troubleshoot a lot. We're not paid by PGMusic; we're just musicians like you trying to make music. We're happy to help you as we can, but you need to ask specific questions and detail what you did (or didn't do). Sure, bugs pop up now and then, but my experience has been that BIAB, PTPA, and RealBand are fairly stable (at least on my computers).

Don't get rid of the car, just because you got a flat tire. Most of us here are happy to stop on the side of the road and help you get your tire fixed. We won't even ask for a tip.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Next time you have one of those problems, please post in exactly what happened in a way that we could try to duplicate it. Also give basic computer specs, drivers you are using, and the exact version/build of RealBand you have installed.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Dude, your being a little harsh. Lots of folks here in this forum have successfully recorded many projects with RB, so the application has earned some level of respect. However, that being said, I certainly can understand how frustration can build when you working on a musical project and the "computer" seems to be hampering the creative process. Not an uncommon complaint at all (check out the diatrides over in the Pro-Tools LE Forum)

BIAB and now its more-DAW-like counterpart RB have been likened to the swiss army knife of muscial software applications. By that, I think it is meant that, they provide a ton of tools which you have to learn how to manipulate to get you final outcome. I have indeed seen things that at first didn't work the way I felt they should, but with a little persaverance and support from the forum I have always been able to arrive at the final destination.

So like others before have pointed out, just let the group know what exactly you are trying to do and I am sure someone will responded with a solution.

Good Luck

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Calm down everyone- I love the software as much as you do -maybe more-but am totally frustrated.

I am using a Dell Latitude D620 laptop with Intel Core 2 T7400 with @2.16ghz with 1.99gb ram with 120gb HD.
I really appreciate everyone's offer to help. Just now I was copying a midi track to paste it and double it with another midi instrument and the mouse pointer changed to an hourglass and then I got the standard Windows message that Real Band had crashed and do I want to send an error report or not. I restarted RB which means re-choosing drivers etc.. and thank goodness I got a message do you want to recover last work-or something like this and most of my changes were reloaded.

I turned the computer on about 2 hours ago.

I don't know why it crashed. I also have a browser window using Mozilla open using a few tabs-like the one to get me to these forums, facebook, gmail.

RealBand
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
I am running windows XP pro service pack 3 and Real Band 2008.5 with the latest update. p.s While installing the update I had several error messages but tech support told me to click ignore which I did.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I find RB to be a tad less stable than cakewalk or MTS, but not so much it stops me from getting stuff done. I did have some error messages a while bak, but they were system issues. What messages did you receive?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Just tried to start up Real Band and got this error message Access Violation at address 00463ACA in muodule 'Real Band.exe". Read of address 00000267 at: 00463ACA. I am able to keep going and use the program for now

I am using a Dell Latitude D620 laptop with Intel Core 2 T7400 with @2.16ghz with 1.99gb ram with 120gb HD.I am running windows XP pro service pack 3 and Real Band 2008.5 with the latest update.

RealBand
M
Expert
Expert
M
flashgordon
gotta say some things.
these days ones choice of computer is critical for a daw.
if you peruse the net on various forums youll see people
haveing lots of issues in particular with laptops.
which is why some people buy laptops specifically built for daw
work. eg (and i got nothing to do with them..)
www.adkproaudio.com
which is the kind of stuff used by touring acts etc etc.
but its more expensive of course.

now in your case it might be a rb problem.
but ive fixed many systems for friends where they swore up
and down at the daw software , and once i looked at the situation it
turned out to be the computer itself wasnt set up properly.
or the sound device.

i'm not useing a laptop myself cos i'm finding all sorts of probs with em.
ive tested a ton of consumer laptops myself.
so i stay desktop. but "some people" do get things working.
if your patient we might be able to resolve the issue.
first thing is it must be set up correctly.
firstly runthe following and report back.
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
also please post a pic of both xp task manager showing ram and
cpu useage n processes, as well as a pic of rb preferences>>audio tab.

please state what sound device your useing.
and i'll try n help best i can.
or pm me.

ps , on some laptops you must disable wifi/the net while recording
cos it interferes with the recording process.

god bless.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
One cause of an error on startup of RB is because it is trying to open a corrupt file.

If you get it open, close the project without saving by opening a different seq file. (Again, do not save the possibly corrupt file)
Close RB and see if it opens OK, then you'll know the file was the problem

After that you can try opening the backups of the file using 'File-Open backup' to see if it is OK, or you can whittle away at finding the error in the file.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
for no apparent reason RB just crashed again-while I was in the middle of choosing real tracks. :-(

I probably have a corrupt file-how does that happen and is there a remedy-'cause the music is so sweet and i have spent countless hours producing this awesome tune.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Can you send me the file to try on my system to confirm if the problem is the file or the system?

dan@jazzmandan.com

you could try. https://www.yousendit.com/cms/compareaccounts . Free for files under 100MB

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I turned the computer on about 2 hours ago.

I don't know why it crashed. I also have a browser window using Mozilla open using a few tabs-like the one to get me to these forums, facebook, gmail.

Just to be clear, am I reading this correctly that you have a browser open while recording with Real Band? If so, I recommend you not do that. In general, one should not have any non-essential software or processes running while recording. Pardon me if that's not what you meant to say.

Have you checked your laptop computer with the DPC Latency Checker? This is a highly-recommended tool for spotting problems with device drivers that cause audio or video interruptions (or worse). It's a quick download and a small executable file everyone should run periodically to make sure nothing is interfering with your ability to get good audio performance. Of course, some laptops come with unsolvable problems. Here is the link: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Also, for help diagnosing this, are you saying that BIAB works successfully for you, and it is only Real Band that gives you trouble?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Just a simple input but...

Have you tried a 'restore to factory settings'?

I am running everything off laptops and both of my DAWs (one hige-end HP, the other not so high-end) report no probs at all re RB

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Flash, I notice that your hard drive is 120 GB. How much space is free for running BIAB/RB?

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello flashgordon,

In the Options | MIDI Devices window,
1. what is currently selected as your input and output driver, and what other MIDI output options are listed.
2. is the "re-route to default dxi synth" box checked?
3. If so, what DXi synth is selected.

In the Options | Audio window,
1. is your audio driver type ASIO or MME?
2. Click the [driver] button... what are selected as the input and output ports/drivers?
3. In the ASIO Audio Drivers dialog (if applicable) what is the selected ASIO device ?
4. In the ASIO Driver control panel (if applicable) what is the latency of buffer size set to?

In the mean-time, please try reinstalling the program, like this:

1. You don't need to remove your current RealBand folder.
2. All you need to do is run your RealBand setup file (if it's part of the Band-in-a-Box 2008 installer, you can uncheck the Band-in-a-Box component), and install it to a brand new folder. I.E. in the "Select Destination Folder" setup screen, choose something like C:\RealBand_NEW.
3. Install the latest RealBand 2008.5 update patch (build 4).
4. Run RealBand, answer NO to the ASIO driver question, so that you are using MME drivers.
5. Setup your MIDI drivers and so on, then use the program for a while on NEW files and see if you continue to experience the same types of crashes.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It seems like you are saying you have the internet on the computer that you are using to make music. I would suggest disconnecting your internet and make it a dedicated music machine. If you have virus protection on your computer running while you are trying to use music software it will cause problems.

Listen To My Music
Read My Blog

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,636
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193