You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#156915 - 04/14/12 01:15 PM Could BIAB write a hit song?
leonard1962 Offline

Loc: Groveland,Fl
I'm just wondering if by chance BIAB would make up a melody that was so catchy it could be a hit? Has anyone ever made up a song with BIAB that just grabbed you and made you think it could be a hit? Who would get the credit if it did? Remember when you first heard a favorite song and you thought wow, listen to that melody and catch that riff it's so catchy.Can BIAB do that or is that just a pipe dream?

#156916 - 04/14/12 01:37 PM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: leonard1962]
Pat Marr Online   content

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Most people wouldn't advertise it if they did write their hit song with BIAB... but if I had a way to prove it, I would bet money that you have heard more than one hit song that originated with BIAB at one stage or another

#156917 - 04/14/12 02:08 PM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: Pat Marr]
seeker Offline

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
You have to be patient using the generating capabilities, but with repeated trys and changes while doing this some very nice melodies do come up.
"Jethro's" rule number 87....soon as you hear a good melody, FREEZE all the tracks
and save under a unique name or version number.

Had a really fantastic melody, did not know about the freeze and blew it away.
Have fun!

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2015,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#156918 - 04/14/12 04:17 PM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: seeker]
Robh Offline

Loc: California
I think a good base of tracks could be made, and with a little tweaking somethin awesome could grow from it.

You have to write music, and not expect a software program to do it all.

I could have the best tools made, but still not build the best cabinets, unless i learn to use, and control those tools.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#156919 - 04/14/12 10:22 PM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: Robh]
jazaddict Offline

Yep...control your tool....good advice.

#156920 - 04/14/12 10:23 PM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: Robh]
Kemmrich Offline

...Could BIAB write a hit song?...

Nope, hit songs need artists that make the public want to buy stuff.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud

#156921 - 04/15/12 07:29 AM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: Kemmrich]
PhillyJazz Offline

Loc: Philly
Under the "Infinite number of Monkeys" theory, conceivably. You can start to detect a certain sameness when you listen to several BIAB melodies one after another. I am pretty sure it'll never write "Body and Soul" again. That being said, I have heard a lot of show tunes and bossas with less "seeming" originality as BIAB.
Jan - Quad Core Intel Core i7 3.4 (clocked to 4.4)
Win 7 64-bit
Samsung SSD Boot drive,other internal and USB drives.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Onkyo TX-SR606 amp.

#156922 - 04/18/12 06:31 AM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: Kemmrich]
Tim Lawrence Offline

Loc: Long Beach California. United ...
I don't know about BIAB writing a hit song, but there isn't a day goes by that I'm not inspired by BIAB to compose an original tune.
It's usually something I hear while trying out different styles that sparks the beginnings of an original melody and chord progression.
Sometimes even the lyrics as well.
I honestly don't think I would write near as many songs with out BIAB as my inspiration.

I've never tried the automatic composing features yet, but keep meaning to.
Especially the automatic composing of chord progressions.

#156923 - 04/18/12 08:05 AM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: Tim Lawrence]
ROG Offline

Loc: York, England

I would bet money that you have heard more than one hit song that originated with BIAB at one stage or another

+1. Tell it like it is Pat.

I think I might even have heard some which came straight from a casio sequence!

#156924 - 04/18/12 01:37 PM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: leonard1962]
LawTunes Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Every song The LawTunes have ever released has been a hit*, and the vast majority of them were created with BIAB involved somewhere in the process.

And I agree with everything else that has been said here. The LawTunes love BIAB.

*Admittedly, in some instances, the public and music award voters have been dilatory in their recognition of same.
_________________________ LawTunes - The Musical Scales of Justice - Original Lawyer Rock & Roll

#156925 - 04/23/12 11:29 PM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: PhillyJazz]
Encore Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA

I just purchased band in a box to use for practicing jazz vocals (of a big variety, Jobim and other Brazilian composers, standards, some soulful pop tunes...)as well as possibly, for my mom, who is a longtime lounge singer (a good one) to use live if she decides to continue performing live. I live in Center City. If you would ever like to meet up to give me some band in a box tips or hear some music, let me know. I'd like to trade some tracks eventually.

If you have any of the Norton discs, I would love to hear a few tracks to see what they are like. I can't decide which to buy.

#156926 - 04/23/12 11:40 PM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: Encore]
Matt Finley Online   content

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Welcome to the forum.

Bob 'Notes' Norton has a very full website that contains audio demos of his styles. Go to

I can certainly attest to the quality of his work. You should also listen the RealTrack demos on this site.
BIAB 2015 Windows Audiophile, SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Windows 10 64-bit. Focusrite 18i20, Roland Integra-7, TCE Finalizer. V-Control Pro with iPad for remote triggering.

#156927 - 04/24/12 12:08 AM Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? [Re: Matt Finley]
MikeK Offline

Loc: Buford, GA
Hit song? I already did it with BIAB.... more than once.... one of them is being played on satellite, the other? Well - it's a hit, but not good enough for the agent I know to pick it up. So, I am not into the fame kind of thing anyhow. I love music. I don't give a darn if anyone dislikes it. As long as I do, it's the kind of music you can't buy in a shop.

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 2TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Windows 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2015

PG Music News
Video - Using Drag-and-Drop in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac

One of the GUI Enhancements added with Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac was to the Drop Station.
Now a folder opens after copying to drop box, Drag Drop or another folder.

We've made a short (7:23) video showing how to use Drag-and-Drop in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac, here.

There are even more video resources available that touch on the Drag-and-Drop feature!
Band-in-a-Box for Mac - Exporting songs to DAWs
Drag-and-Drop with Band-in-a-Box!

#MotivationModay - Your Video Testimonial = a FREE Band-in-a-Box EverythingPAK!

This summer we began a Video Testimonials project, and reached out to Band-in-a-Box users requesting a 2-10 minute video telling the viewer about their Band-in-a-Box experience.

And... we got a GREAT response! Check out all of the current Video Testimonials here:

But, we're not done! If you'd like to submit a video, we'd love to see it! AND - if we use your video we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box EverythingPAK!

Visit this forum post for more information.

Making Medleys with Band-in-a-Box

RealTracks Medleys are special groups of RealTracks that play in sequence. This tutorial shows you how to make your own medleys with the RealTracks feature in Band-in-a-Box:

When it comes to Medleys, we don't stop there! With a previous release of Band-in-a-Box Version 2008 for Windows, we added a feature called the Medley Maker. This feature is great tool if you are wanting to make a medley of various songs you've created with Band-in-a-Box!

Inside the Medley Maker, which is accessed through the Song Form [AABA] button (the one with the pencil), simply select the songs that you want, and Band-in-a-Box will make the medley for you. A medley is not simply joining songs together - a good medley uses a "transition" area between songs to introduce the new style, key, and tempo. The Medley Maker automatically creates a nice transition area for you, writing in chords that would smoothly transition to the next song, style, key, and tempo!

The 2008 New Features Video is available here:

Video - Instant Preview Feature in Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac

Another one of the new features released with Band-in-a-Box 2015 was the Instant Preview feature, which is highlighted in this video:

The Instant Preview works with UserTracks, Loops, RealTracks, and SuperTracks!

#TBT - The 2002 Release of PowerTracks Pro Audio 8!

In June of 2002 we released PowerTracks Pro Audio 8. There were more than 30 new features for seamlessly integrated MIDI/Digital Audio music production released at that time - take a look at the video highlighting the "new" version:

The "New Features" released with PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.0 Included...
New 32-bit Version! PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.0 has been totally rebuilt as a full 32-bit engine for seamless operation in Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.
Amazing New Chord Wizard! Load in any MIDI file, PowerTracks MIDI sequence file, or even a work-in-progress, and the amazing New Chord Wizard will intelligently figure out the chords and display them in the Notation Window and the new Chords Window. Chord symbols are an essential component of playing by ear, so most musicians who play by ear should find this new feature indispensable! The New Chords Window displays the chords in a selectable font and size, and is fully editable. It also has part markers (compatible with Band-in-a-Box) so that you can easily mark sections of your sequence.
Real Time DirectX Effects! PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.0 supports real time DirectX effects for live playback and monitoring, and even includes loads of great effects for free! PowerTracks also has real time DirectX plug-in groups in which up to four chained plug-ins can be used at once. Effects groups can be saved and loaded along with their settings, making it easy to use the same settings with multiple projects. The postproduction DirectX window also supports effects chains with up to four plug-ins.

FREE DirectX Plug-ins!
Awesome Audio Features!
Updated MIDI Features!
Enhanced Notation Features!
...and (of course) MUCH MORE!

Click here to learn more about PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.

Emailing Your Band-in-a-Box Song

One of the many new features we added with Band-in-a-Box 2015 for Mac was the "Email Song as Attachments" feature, which will come in handy - we promise!

The Email Song dialog allows you to choose what files you want to email:
- the song (.MGU or .SGU)
- the style (.STY)
- the extended style (.STX) (if any)
- a rendered audio file (choice of AIFF, M4A, WAV)
- Audio track (if any)
- Performance track (if any)
Pressing the [Send Email] button will launch your default mail application and prepare a new message with files attached.

You can also email a Drop station file. After you drag a track button to the Drop station, right-click on the Drop station and select the Email the drop station file menu item.

Check out the 2015 New Features video clip (@ 44 min): and Tobin will show you how!
(it's a really quick clip - just 40 seconds is all you'll need!)

New Band-in-a-Box Testimonial Video by Tony Lee Glenn

We came across Tony Lee Glenn's YouTube channel not too long ago. He'd posted a video called "Getting Started with Band In A Box 2014 - Easy Royalty Free Music" which we thought was really well done!

When we approached Tony to thank him for making such a great video, he was more than happy to make a Video Testimonial for us to share!

Here's a link to his Band-in-a-Box testimonial:

Learn more about Tony here.

All of the User Testimonials can be viewed here:

Forum Stats
23841 Members
38 Forums
36410 Topics
288084 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
sagolon, Preservetodvd, geoffsct, CapeRadio, bartek

23841 Registered Users