Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
And what's cool about this place Joe is how many well known software companies do you get to talk to the big guy directly?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

Like 99% of us on these forums, I am a user. I've been using BIAB since 2006. It's because of my years of experience as a PG Music customer that I cannot let your below comment pass without my thoughts being added.

When you say...

Originally Posted By: Joe 5
... so they can frankly afford to be complacent/apathetic about improving things that never should have made it to production in the first place...

... I just want to point out that the above is both incorrect and unfair. PG Music are a very progressive company. Peter Gannon and his team have created an outstanding product that has made significant developmental strides in music and backing track production as computer technology has grown. As far as I can tell, 'complacency' is not in Dr Gannon's vocabulary.

Comparing the 2008 version of BIAB to today's version is like comparing 2008 computers to today's computers. Similarly, trying to fully appreciate the abilities of 2016-generation computing power by only using a computer from 2008 is paralleled in trying to fully understand Band In A Box 2016 by only using Band In A Box 2008.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
joe5 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
And what's cool about this place Joe is how many well known software companies do you get to talk to the big guy directly?

lol - true. Although I doubt Bill Gates would want to hear it either. smile And again, it clearly has a ton of capability, and it sounds like it's made great strides since 08, design-wise.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
I just want to point out that the above is both incorrect and unfair. PG Music are a very progressive company. Peter Gannon and his team have created an outstanding product that has made significant developmental strides in music and backing track production as computer technology has grown. As far as I can tell, 'complacency' is not in Dr Gannon's vocabulary.
For the sake of argument, I'll concede that I can't say the whys and wherefores, and that certainly wasn't meant about any one person.....it was just an initial impression based on what I saw of this version, and my impression is there are more than a few (including avid users) who would not disagree. Maybe it was simply a lack of good UI (or as it's called now days, "UX") designers....

Quote:
Comparing the 2008 version of BIAB to today's version is like comparing 2008 computers to today's computers.
Ah, not really. 2008 computers were well designed, given the technology of the time. In fact, they weren't all that far behind today's PCs.

Anyway, enough on all that. It's certainly worth a look, regardless of the UI, and I have already said so to others. See I'm not all bad. smile

Last edited by joe5; 08/15/16 01:37 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

I never thought you were bad at all!!! LOL laugh I think that once you start using the software you'll be impressed.

Even today, 10 years later, the program amazes me. That all I need to do is to enter a chord progression and click on a button to generate a backing seems incredible.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
joe5 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Yeah, I hear ya. In fact I can see how this would be an invaluable tool for a solo act to have a "backing band"....but for my needs (composition), not so sure. For ex a concern is it sounds too "canned" and there would be a zillion other people with something that sounds almost exactly the same out there. Probably what I would use it for mostly would be backing percussion, which needn't really be "original."

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
))) Yeah, I hear ya. In fact I can see how this would be an invaluable tool for a solo act to have a "backing band"....but for my needs (composition), not so sure. For ex a concern is it sounds too "canned" and there would be a zillion other people with something that sounds almost exactly the same out there. Probably what I would use it for mostly would be backing percussion, which needn't really be "original."
-------

Joe, have you listened to some of the 4,000 original compositions posted to the User Showcase forum? http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm You can try listening to some of the radio stations we made - these are all user compositions, For example, here is one of the stations with 132 songs on it https://soundcloud.com/bandinaboxradio/sets/50-featured-songs

They are all original compositions that use Band-in-a-Box to some extent. If you listen to them, I'd be surprised if you still say "it sounds too "canned" and there would be a zillion other people with something that sounds almost exactly the same out there"

since there are over 2,000 Realtracks representing 2,500 hours of studio music recordings,it isn't likely that there are zillions of similar arrangements. That is one reason we are encouraging you to move up from the 2008 version, which was MIDI, and not real musicians,

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: joe5
...for my needs (composition), not so sure. For ex a concern is it sounds too "canned" and there would be a zillion other people with something that sounds almost exactly the same out there.

Joe,

I'm not a performer. I only ever use BIAB for composition. I love the freedom that the program gives me in that I can compose in whatever genre I want - even if I'm not experienced in that genre. My writing ability has increased hugely thanks to BIAB.

Here's a link to my latest song. It was a collaboration with other BIAB users. The backing is entirely BIAB (finger-picking guitar, strumming guitar, bass, drums and cello).

Also, if you go to the audio link in my signature, you'll be able to hear some of the songs I've put together. They all involve backings created by BIAB. Sometimes those backings are exactly as generated and sometimes I've taken generated tracks and used copy and paste in a DAW to isolate instrumental hooks etc. The bottom line is that BIAB produces amazing audio material to work with in whatever way a user wants to.

Because of the way that PG Music's technology works, chances of a backing that anyone creates sounding exactly like someone else's is slim. This is because each time a track is generated, there's an algorithm that's applied that creates independent variations.

Quite honestly, creating music has been a huge part of my life since BIAB gave me musical freedom. Most days, I will spend around 2 - 4 hours composing, arranging or refining my songs.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
if "it sounds too "canned" and there would be a zillion other people with something that sounds almost exactly the same out there"

then it is a 'radio' ready tune....

This was discussed recently in another thread where I explained how I used the RealBand multiriff feature on a single track for guitar solo/fills choosing 18 selections from the track each generating 7 multiriffs. That is a total of 126 distinct and different phrase generations. Some of those 126 selections were then chosen and using cut/paste technique - grafted into a singularly unique phrase that does not exist in the 2500 plus hours of recorded audio RealTracks.

I will leave it to you to calculate the odds that another forum member could duplicate that track. But, to satisfy your curiosity, choose a top quality sounding User Showcase forum song and even with having much of the BIAB information used to create that song, see for yourself how accurately you can duplicate that song note for note or phrase by phrase.
It is more difficult than it would seem when we all are using the same material. That is also not accounting for the addition of live recorded instruments, loops, samples and pre-recorded material.

The bottom line is that you can produce as professional and unique quality music as you are willing to take time and effort to put into it.

BIAB/RB is a trade skill that can be learned the same as carpentry, auto mechanics, playing piano or guitar. Some will learn more quickly, some will have more natural talent but everyone can obtain a working level skill with the software.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/16/16 09:49 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: joe5
Yeah, I hear ya. In fact I can see how this would be an invaluable tool for a solo act to have a "backing band"....but for my needs (composition), not so sure. For ex a concern is it sounds too "canned" and there would be a zillion other people with something that sounds almost exactly the same out there. Probably what I would use it for mostly would be backing percussion, which needn't really be "original."

Joe, if you are using the latest BIAB with all of the RealTracks to choose from I think this is a very small issue! You might happen to cross paths with another BIAB user and then an even smaller chance that they would also use the same style as you and then even smaller chance that all settings (tempo, key, pan, f/x, etc.) would be the same, and like someone else said, even for identical parameters BIAB will produce differences in the tracks it outputs.

But, just for a minute let's entertain the idea that maybe there is a chance your choice of RealTracks would sound similar to another users. Why would that matter if your needs are composition? I find that I can site down with a basic idea on guitar and quickly flesh it out using BIAB. Because I can try so many things with BIAB it actually assists me in composing the groove and feel for my song. Then, once I get close to something finished (are they ever finished?) I have the choice of removing one or more or all BIAB tracks and playing those myself!

And I have not even touched on the fact that you do not have to accept what BIAB generates! You can go into RealBand and use multi-riff feature to generate tons of alternatives. Then you can even export any or all of the RealTrack riffs or smaller pieces and bring those into your DAW for assembly into something completely unique.

Simply put...BIAB, using RealTracks, does not produce music anyone will think is "canned"!

Veteran
Veteran
What strikes me as ridiculous is - here is a guy using someone elses 8 year old version not even his own and dare I say cloned/copied to his machine and daring to whinge about lack of modern features.
Put your money where your mouth is, buy the 2016 ULTRAPLUSPAK on a 30 day money back guarantee.
What's to lose?

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
Well said Ian. Well said!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
joe5 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
What strikes me as ridiculous is - here is a guy using someone elses 8 year old version not even his own and dare I say cloned/copied to his machine and daring to whinge about lack of modern features.
What strikes me as ridiculous is someone who can't spell a complex word like "whine."

And I dare say that even if you knew how to spell, you post indicates a severe lack of reading comprehension. I have borrowed someone else's laptop with BIAB on it and I'm not "whinging" about a lack of modern features. But thanks for the snotty reply, and pardon me if I didn't pay homage to the BIAB God properly like the rest of you groupies.

Apologies to those of you who are worth apologizing to for this silly sidetrack; I'll reply as applicable later, getting a bit late here.....but bottom line, "will sound exactly the same" was definitely over the top on my part and poorly worded; obviously the overall songs won't be the same. More of a general concern about the tracks I'd be using that are used by so many others and therefore still too similar in that way for me.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"most buttons, including ones most people would rarely use, crammed to the right in the middle of the screen....um.....what?"

Not sure what use you need biab for, instant fast song generation, live accompaniment, songwriting, making up songs out of the box for the user song showcase, hobby, studio work to add track/s to a session, CD's.

BIAB is a six shooter, it will quickly shoot out six tracks, if you don't like a track you can have another shot but it's the whole track you get each time, you can't change some bars or chords you don't like without having to shoot out another complete track/s.
It was originally designed/made by musicians for musicians for auto accompaniment for them hence "Band in a Box", it runs 100% in ram.

There is another program that is included with the purchase called "RealBand" that not many people even know or bother to get to know as all the promotion and neon is all about "BIAB" as the be all to end all.

Real band contains biab that it calls on to generate up tracks or any sections.

You can have as many tracks as you like (48), as many bars as you like.
You can see and edit the wavforms of every track.
You have node control of the waveform like fadein/fadeout.
You can change any/all section/chords of any/all audio/midi track/s without having to re-generate the whole track/s.
You can have as many realdrum tracks as you like, no need to request more percussion tracks for BIAB crammed GUI.
You can have multitrack drum stems.
You can import a midi and it will split the instruments to separate tracks.
You can split a midi drum track to separate hit tracks.
You can make the tracks unique more so and using direct input instruments add your FX/modeling to get the sound you need, and https://www.kvraudio.com/product/redshift-pickup-replacer-by-acmebargig on the DI

I started with biab but I found real band and could see and edit everything without having to type a lot of numbers in to change things and going deep within the many menu and page trees.

There is an actual site www.realband.org that has so much info on the unknown app.

If you want more creative control then Real band.

But if you like things done automatically for you, happy to take what you get and auto accompaniment is what you need by all means BIAB.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
So, Joe5, if you are going there...

Quote:
And I dare say that even if you knew how to spell, you post indicates a severe lack of reading comprehension.

I will presume that you meant "your post", not "you post" and it was just a simple typographical error, as opposed to a "severe lack of reading comprehension".

And by the way, just because Americans say whine, doesn't mean that's universal for all English speakers.

Quote:
whinge /wɪndʒ/

verb (intransitive) whinges, whingeing, whinged

1. to cry in a fretful way

2. to complain

noun

3. a complaint

Derived Forms

whingeing, noun, adjective
whinger, noun

Word Origin

from a Northern variant of Old English hwinsian to whine; related to Old High German winsan, winisan, whence Middle High German winsen

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
It might also be time for a few folks to read the Forum Rules as a refresher.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=boardrules&v=1

You'll see words like disruptive, offensive, and inflammatory.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
joe5 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: jford
So, Joe5, if you are going there...

:nod: touche, I stand corrected. Anyway....

Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Not sure what use you need biab for,
Composition only. ie to create backing tracks (mostly percussion, probably, perhaps with some rhythm/comping stuff).

Quote:
There is another program that is included with the purchase called "RealBand" that not many people even know or bother to get to know
Yep, that was pointed out to me earlier, but thanks the same. Might be enough of a DAW for me; I haven't really checked it out yet....

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
By the way, for those who weren't around at the time, or need a refresher, here's the BIAB 2008 New Features Video that Peter Gannon did. This was the version that introduced RealTracks, and contained ... drum roll, please ... a total of three, yes, three soloist RealTracks. You got a Pedal Steel, a Sax soloist, and an Acoustic Guitar. That was it. It wasn't until 2008.5 that we got more RealTracks, and of course, now we have thousands, plus UserTracks.

And BIAB 2008.5 introduced RealTracks sets 2-9, which then gave us a total of 63 RealTracks. We've come a long way since then:

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
I do not normally chip in but personally I am only fixated what BIAB and RB does for me ...

Create GREAT backing tracks

I have been using it for over 10 years now ...still very happy with it.

Even though many moan about its clunkiness I am still amazed at the sheer brilliance of what it actually achieves for ME.

Yes John, I remember the 3 realtracks, I could not believe at the time what they did ... who remembers how long it actually took those first few versions to render?

I am far more happy with the LOADS of realtracks and performance improvements, the way that you can regenerate pieces of RB tracks to audition solos to make the Real Track artists do for free (and with pleasure) what we used to coax fellow musicians to do when I was younger.

This tool allows me to have more fun and pleasure that even Peter Gannon ever thought I could get from this software.....

IT DOES WHAT IT PROMISED ...

(this is my opinion only and I cannot speak for any one else)

If I discovered it only today and could wrap my mind around the surrealistic job that it does and the quality that it outputs , I WOULD BUY IT AGAIN , no questions asked.

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

Veteran
Veteran
John,

Thanks for those clips from the past! The program has certainly grown exponentially since then. I remember those three realtracks and I couldn't believe how awesome they sounded.... musical innovation at the cutting edge of technology. Back then, who could have predicted just how far that initial technology would progress by 2016.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: CountryTrash
Even though many moan about its clunkiness I am still amazed at the sheer brilliance of what it actually achieves for ME.

Well, there are way too many people who prefer the shine over the funtionality. wink

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,037
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186