Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: joe5
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
What strikes me as ridiculous is - here is a guy using someone elses 8 year old version not even his own and dare I say cloned/copied to his machine and daring to whinge about lack of modern features.
What strikes me as ridiculous is someone who can't spell a complex word like "whine."

And I dare say that even if you knew how to spell, you post indicates a severe lack of reading comprehension. I have borrowed someone else's laptop with BIAB on it and I'm not "whinging" about a lack of modern features. But thanks for the snotty reply, and pardon me if I didn't pay homage to the BIAB God properly like the rest of you groupies.

Apologies to those of you who are worth apologizing to for this silly sidetrack; I'll reply as applicable later, getting a bit late here.....but bottom line, "will sound exactly the same" was definitely over the top on my part and poorly worded; obviously the overall songs won't be the same. More of a general concern about the tracks I'd be using that are used by so many others and therefore still too similar in that way for me.

Ah Joe, being British we have a complex vocabulary so include words like "whinge", an ancient English word that means to moan for no good reason.
I suggest you close the lid of your friends laptop and go find something, ANYTHING, that will do what BB/RB can do.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
What strikes me as ridiculous is - here is a guy using someone elses 8 year old version not even his own and dare I say cloned/copied to his machine and daring to whinge about lack of modern features.
What strikes me as ridiculous is someone who can't spell a complex word like "whine."

And I dare say that even if you knew how to spell, you post indicates a severe lack of reading comprehension. I have borrowed someone else's laptop with BIAB on it and I'm not "whinging" about a lack of modern features. But thanks for the snotty reply, and pardon me if I didn't pay homage to the BIAB God properly like the rest of you groupies.

Apologies to those of you who are worth apologizing to for this silly sidetrack; I'll reply as applicable later, getting a bit late here.....but bottom line, "will sound exactly the same" was definitely over the top on my part and poorly worded; obviously the overall songs won't be the same. More of a general concern about the tracks I'd be using that are used by so many others and therefore still too similar in that way for me.

Joe,

Numerous people have tried to help you. The CEO of the company even tried to help you; and you continue with the insults.

Being an avid proponent of the program does not make one a 'groupie'. Besides, I'm too old to be a groupie. grin

As for “whinge”; this is an international forum. We have everything from “Y'all” to “G-Day” to “Whinge”, and the ubiquitous Canadian “Ay”?

In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka...

“Lighten up, Francis!” wink

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by 90 dB; 08/19/16 04:11 AM. Reason: editeditedit...go!
Veteran
Veteran
OK, so we're all mindless fanboys. Let's analyze that for a minute.

How does someone become a fan of anything?

Because they like it.

In this case of using a computer program, why would they like it?

Because it does what they need it to do.

Nobody says anything about these programs being the picture of bug free perfection, or that they're easy to navigate or they're telepathic and just seem to know what I'm trying to do.

If RB was a crashing, locked up pos I wouldn't like it very much and neither would anybody else.

Pipeline and Cerio, ask yourselves this one question.

If it's so damn bad, why do we bother with it?

Have you guys spent any serious time on the RB forum? All these little things that Rharv talked about is there. Everybody it seems gets a new program and simply opens it and starts to work with it without reading the slightest thing about how it works. They think they're smart enough to figure it out by running it and working with it. How I wish that were the case.

I guess I'm not as smart as you guys because that never, EVER works for me. At the office it's Word and Excel. For a noob, the Word menu bars are useless POS's to me without some instruction which I've managed to get over the years. Then there's Excel. Oh. My. God. If you've never worked with that before good luck simply opening up a new workbook and what, you're just going to intuitively figure out how to create a formula to combine columns and rows? Riiight. I get emails all the time from companies who want to sell me an online course in Excel for a couple of hundred bucks. How would you like to need that? Buy some music software then spend $200 to learn how it works. Oh my, what would the fanboys think then?

Compared to Word and Excel, Real Band is a simplistic piece of cake yet some so called programming experts can't seem to get past the splash screen.

Go onto the RB forum and read how it works. That's what I do for ANY new computer program. I've learned over the years that a new piece of software is going to kick my [*****] until I can learn how it works and I do that by finding a user forum and reading all the FAQ's and little hidden quirks about it.

There's no difference between a casual user and a power user any more. I've have to turn myself into a power user to even get to first base most of the time with this stuff and THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
I'm trying to figure out if I'm one of the fanboy programming experts being insulted here. True, I taught programming starting long before Borland introduced Turbo Pascal (which I loved). But Delphi, which Turbo Pascal morphed into, is still a solid development program under its new owner. It supports 64-bit Windows and Mac OS, and even iOS and Android platforms. Those who know it love it and are productive. Dr. Gannon has stated that at some point BIAB will go to 64-bit, and this can be done in Delphi. So, what is the basis for criticism of using Delphi?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I get the impression that there is a belief from one poster that if you write it in Delphi it will have bugs but if you write it in C it will be bug free. I just can't figure that one out. I actually don't care what it's written in as long as it works and works properly. This comment is totally different to feature requests, bug fixes and improvements. They still need to occur.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I've used RB hard since it's inception, and also used PT (it's predecessor) long before that.
If I appear as though I am 'defending' I apologize. That is certainly not my intent. My natural inclination is to share any help I may have from years of working with the 'quirkiness'.

So at times, when people complain, I offer a tip that may help as a workaround, or new process flow.
It doesn't mean I don't think a bunch of things can't be improved, just trying to help.

That said, the above doesn't apply to the programming language being used. That's quite different. It isn't the issue at all IMHO.

I know Pipeline really wants to make RB better. I've seen him put 'behind the scenes' effort into helping push some long wanted fixes along with the developers (with some progress but not what we all hoped for yet, so not ready for prime time) Pipeline was instrumental in some of this.

He's on our side.
Maybe he ruffles some feathers sometimes, but with good intent. Ruffled feathers get attention.

Thanks Pipeline.
smile

/* 'Let's all just let the programming language thing die now, OK?' */ ;

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
I know Pipeline really wants to make RB better.
He's on our side.
Maybe he ruffles some feathers sometimes, but with good intent. Ruffled feathers get attention.

Thanks Pipeline.

Yes, fully agree, that's exactly why I wrote in a different thread re: Pipeline
"In many ways you actually don't know exactly how much I agree with you, and certainly support your intentions."

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I've personally, never had any problems with BB or RB not doing what they're supposed to do. Mostly, (99.9%) of the time, they both run flawlessly as does Sonar.

They are, however, windows based programs (all 3) and as such, suffer the consequences when the zero's and ones get out of sorts in the underlying OS. (XP Pro 32)

Any time I notice abnormal things going on, I shut down and restart with a cold boot.

If you, on the other hand, are having issues with Real Band always glitching or crashing, I would suggest looking at the issue with the assistance of the PG technical staff. I'd wager, it's a setting or perhaps some other program or driver that's interfering with RB's proper operation and not the bugs in the program. I've run these programs on several computers and all without issue. A Dell off the shelf laptop, and a custom machine that I bought the parts for and assembled myself. I'm not a computer guy, and I managed to get it running and it works pretty smoothly if I do say so myself.

So... in a nutshell, before you disrespect the program, and those of us who use it and love it, tidy up your own house a bit and see what the issue is in your machine. As far as the GUI.... where the buttons are and such things.... learn the program. If you're using a version that's 8 years old, do an update rather than complain about the lack of features in the one you have. A lot has improved during that time.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/20/16 02:19 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
J
joe5 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J

...or at least take it up and in a thread where that's the topic. amen smile

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

So... in a nutshell, before you disrespect the program, and those of us who use it and love it, tidy up your own house a bit and see what the issue is in your machine. As far as the GUI.... where the buttons are and such things.... learn the program. If you're using a version that's 8 years old, do an update rather than complain about the lack of features in the one you have. A lot has improved during that time.

Before you disrespect those of us who think the program design is lacking or poor in this or that way, actually listen to, comprehend and consider what they're saying vs complaining about/snipping at the comments. We've been down this road and I've already explained and caveated more than enough, not about to do it any more. PS: I've also put in a fair # of hours on it to date so spare me the "learn the program" BS. You disagree or don't get it, fine, move on.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I thinks if Steve Jobs came on here not using his real name trying to bring about change taking things to a whole new level the status quo would be on him like a tonne of bricks, gang up, and chase him off because the level they see things from can't be any higher as it is the highest level and understanding they can conceive of.

I can see where every user is coming from and the level they are on.
To see where the problems are and speak up to bring about positive change.
The low level responses has taking a too much of energy out of me.
For me to stay here would serve no purpose as I would have to force myself to stay on a lower level of understanding and make nice, agree and don't dare rock any boat.

It might sound hard and ruffle feathers but I did tell the truth in order to to take the software onto a whole new advanced level for all those on the planet, not just the old Win Fans but for all the MAC users ALSO.

With all the Expert Delphi Programmers here I thought for sure they would of uploaded the vst synchronization fix for pg by now, how many years has that been now ??

If someone else comes on here telling the truth that is hard to understand, just don't gang up on them anymore and drain their energy.

Adios..

"How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen
They did not know how

Perhaps they'll listen now ???????"

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I thinks if Steve Jobs came on here not using his real name trying to bring about change taking things to a whole new level the status quo would be on him like a tonne of bricks, gang up, and chase him off because the level they see things from can't be any higher as it is the highest level and understanding they can conceive of.

I can see where every user is coming from and the level they are on.
To see where the problems are and speak up to bring about positive change.
The low responses has taking a too much of energy out of me.
For me to stay here would serve no purpose as I would have to force myself to stay on a lower level of understanding and make nice, agree and don't dare rock any boat.

It might sound hard and ruffle feathers but I did tell the truth in order to to take the software onto a whole new advanced level for all those on the planet, not just the old Win Fans but for all the MAC users ALSO.

If someone else comes on here telling the truth that is hard to understand, just don't gang up on them anymore and drain their energy.

Adios..

"How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen
They did not know how

Perhaps they'll listen now ???????"

Well, I for one, hope you stick around! You gave me an excellent tip on how to convert from a RealTrack with fx to the exact same one as DI and it saved my bacon by letting me immediately use the exact same riffs but with my own fx! Everyone else, including long-time PG users were quick to tell me it was impossible!

And I appreciate the suggestions you make here along with your matter-of-fact opinions about how the GUIs need work! Lots of us agree with you 101% on that!!

The active group here in these forums probably represents a very small percentage of the overall PG customer base. And there are some very loud voices here who are appalled when someone dares to offer even the slightest criticism of PG software! They love the software and take it very personally when someone does not show "proper respect"! I noticed this within days of arriving here! smile But I stuck around because there are also some folks here who love the software AND understand it needs improvement to keep up with the rest of the software world!

And I believe there is another group of people, especially young people, who take one look at the software and never even give it a chance! I have read comments in other music forums where people trash these products mainly about the GUIs but clearly they did not know what is possible if you can just get past that aspect! If I were in charge of PG this would be the thing I worry most about. Us old-timers will continue to send in our upgrade $$ every year and have a grand old time with the software (even while complaining about the GUI!) But the music market at large, including lots of young people, may never give it the chance it deserves because it is not as cool as the latest DAW or looping SW. And that is a missed opportunity for those people and for PG!

And hey, who knows? Maybe BIAB 2017 will be 64-bit with a shiny new DAW-like interface and multi-riff built right in! smile And even if not, there will be lots of tasty new RealTracks available in the upgrade so I'm budgeting for it right now!

I hope you stay!

Veteran
Veteran

...or at least take it up and in a thread where that's the topic. amen smile

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Before you disrespect those of us who think the program design is lacking or poor in this or that way, actually listen to, comprehend and consider what they're saying vs complaining about/snipping at the comments. We've been down this road and I've already explained and caveated more than enough, not about to do it any more. PS: I've also put in a fair # of hours on it to date so spare me the "learn the program" BS. You disagree or don't get it, fine, move on.

Someone's been reading that Dale Carnegie again! grin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,503
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195